Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,933 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:05 AM

Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? (922 Views)

Muslim Terrorism Is Fake, A Perspective From Australia / Lord Have Mercy! Heartbreaking Pics From The War Between Israel & Palestine / The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by NegroNtns(m): 1:26am On Jan 22, 2010
First, . . .What is terrorism?
Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by muhsin(m): 12:23pm On Jan 22, 2010
Which definition do you like? American (Western) or dictionary one? grin
Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by NegroNtns(m): 3:20pm On Jan 22, 2010
grin good question!

Lets see. . .

In numerous ways in the scriptures God told us what stealing is. He told us what adultery is. He told us what murder is. He even defined manslaughter. He told of prostitution and homosexuality.

I'm sure He has answer for us in the scriptures for what "terrorism" is. Am I right?
Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by muhsin(m): 4:23pm On Jan 22, 2010
Yeah. . .

What then did He say is terrorism?
Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by NegroNtns(m): 1:59am On Jan 23, 2010
Judging by what he said about those other vices, how do you think he would frame any saying on terrorism?
Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by Tudor6(f): 11:15am On Jan 23, 2010
The first step towards eradicating terrorism is to outlaw islam, . . . Do this and 90% of all terrorist acts would be curtailed. Then we can tackle the remaining 10%.
Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by muhsin(m): 12:04pm On Jan 23, 2010
Negro_Ntns:

Judging by what he said about those other vices, how do you think he would frame any saying on terrorism?

Actually no idea. grin

Tudór:

The first step towards eradicating terrorism is to outlaw islam, . . . Do this and 90% of all terrorist acts would be curtailed. Then we can tackle the remaining 10%.

You get yourself a job, lady.
Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by NegroNtns(m): 6:31am On Jan 25, 2010
Muhsin,

sorry few days has gone with no response, I did not forget the post.

To get to your query, if we look in the scriptures the details are there but I should leave that open and allow individuals to read it up on their own. What is remarkable is that terror can manifest itself in a way least likely to trigger suspicion .

Example -
in the King's court in Egypt, Moses entered the Palace with his staff. Now, in that period, a wooden staff is a symbol of status and is not an item of threat to persons. In the presence of the King and the King's priests, Moses turned his harmless staff into a "terrorizing" serpent.

In another example, it is said that as part of the proceeding into the final days "The Trumpet shall sound". Now, who doesn't love music? In an essemble, a trumpet produces very sweet and harmonious notes. But here in the last days, a harmless instument shall sound the note of fury, "terrifying" mankind to gather for his day of account.

. . .I could go on and on but I believe the examples already given are enough to know where I'm going with this.

When we talk about terrrorism let us weigh the points and the history of mankind. Terrorism is not a new phenomena and neither is it Islamic. . .it is an atrocity of mankind. Its like stealing, murder, manslaughter, prostitution. . .and so on and so forth.

Would you call the Tuskeegee scientists terrorists or medical pioneers? How about those European doctors imprisoned in Libya for innoculating innocent children with AID virus, are they terrorists or NGOs rendering help to poor people? How should we treat Pfizer in the episode where it gave drugs banned in USA and Europe to children in Nigeria, as terrorists or as pharmacists? How should we label the men who took one of the greatest inventions of mankind. . .one that beats all odds and gave mankind the power of flight. . .and slammed it into buildings, terrorists or disgruntled men?

Terrorism is a thread. . .the color you see today is the dye used yesterday. Tomorrow, the thread will be soaked into the pit and it shall come out with a different color.

Mankind has failed to eradicate theft. We failed to eradicate murder or prostitution. Just how conceivable is it that we would win the war against terrorism, an intimate part in our alter ego?
Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by Mariory(m): 12:08am On Jan 26, 2010
The war on terrorism is winnable because certain people think the US is taking over the world. With such enourmous power why shouldn't the war on terror be winnable. America is invincible. If they can cause the Haiti earthquake in over 3 million ways, I don't think one man is going to give them any trouble.
Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by TippyTop(m): 1:56am On Jan 26, 2010
Bruhahahahahahahahahaa ! ! ! !! ! !

As long as theirs injustice there's bound to be terrorism. The same US that was arming the IRA against Britain changed tact as soon as New York was bombed.
I laugh in Congolese Kiswahili.

Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by Nobody: 10:42am On Jan 26, 2010
Has anyone candidly ask why has terrorism come to stay? IT IS NOT WINNABLE as long as the superpower nations maintains its status quo in relations (political, economic etc) amongst nations i.e america supporting isreal against others nations in the middleast! American govt should reexamine its foreign policies and try to build a peaceful coexistence amongst nations instead of its big boss attitude of arm twisting other nations to suit its own ends. I am not in support of terrorism but i believe the nations of the world needs to urgently address issues that divides us as humans based on cultures, environment, development, RELIGION e.t.c
Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by muhsin(m): 1:15pm On Jan 27, 2010
Negro_Ntns:

Muhsin,

sorry few days has gone with no response, I did not forget the post.

To get to your query, if we look in the scriptures the details are there but I should leave that open and allow individuals to read it up on their own. What is remarkable is that terror can manifest itself in a way least likely to trigger suspicion .

Example -
in the King's court in Egypt, Moses entered the Palace with his staff. Now, in that period, a wooden staff is a symbol of status and is not an item of threat to persons. In the presence of the King and the King's priests, Moses turned his harmless staff into a "terrorizing" serpent.

In another example, it is said that as part of the proceeding into the final days "The Trumpet shall sound". Now, who doesn't love music? In an essemble, a trumpet produces very sweet and harmonious notes. But here in the last days, a harmless instument shall sound the note of fury, "terrifying" mankind to gather for his day of account.

. . .I could go on and on but I believe the examples already given are enough to know where I'm going with this.

When we talk about terrrorism let us weigh the points and the history of mankind. Terrorism is not a new phenomena and neither is it Islamic. . .it is an atrocity of mankind. Its like stealing, murder, manslaughter, prostitution. . .and so on and so forth.

Would you call the Tuskeegee scientists terrorists or medical pioneers? How about those European doctors imprisoned in Libya for innoculating innocent children with AID virus, are they terrorists or NGOs rendering help to poor people? How should we treat Pfizer in the episode where it gave drugs banned in USA and Europe to children in Nigeria, as terrorists or as pharmacists? How should we label the men who took one of the greatest inventions of mankind. . .one that beats all odds and gave mankind the power of flight. . .and slammed it into buildings, terrorists or disgruntled men?

Terrorism is a thread. . .the color you see today is the dye used yesterday. Tomorrow, the thread will be soaked into the pit and it shall come out with a different color.

Mankind has failed to eradicate theft. We failed to eradicate murder or prostitution. Just how conceivable is it that we would win the war against terrorism, an intimate part in our alter ego?

I didn't understand that you were talking of terrorism at that larger scope. I thought you were specifically referring to the kind of terrorism we are everyday hearing/reading in the news, for instance US War on terror in Iraq, Afghanistan and other parts of the world.

Mariory:

The war on terrorism is winnable because certain people think the US is taking over the world. With such enourmous power why shouldn't the war on terror be winnable. America is invincible. If they can cause the Haiti earthquake in over 3 million ways, I don't think one man is going to give them any trouble.

This is not true sincerely. The American war on terror, as also aptly admitted by many American, is not winnable.

Tippy Top:

As long as theirs injustice there's bound to be terrorism. The same US that was arming the IRA against Britain changed tact as soon as New York was bombed.
I laugh in Congolese Kiswahili.

Timehin:

Has anyone candidly ask why has terrorism come to stay? IT IS NOT WINNABLE as long as the superpower nations maintains its status quo in relations (political, economic etc) amongst nations i.e america supporting isreal against others nations in the middleast! American govt should reexamine its foreign policies and try to build a peaceful coexistence amongst nations instead of its big boss attitude of arm twisting other nations to suit its own ends. I am not in support of terrorism but i believe the nations of the world needs to urgently address issues that divides us as humans based on cultures, environment, development, RELIGION e.t.c

I wholly agree with the two above posters.
Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by emmatigana: 2:50pm On Jan 27, 2010
No, you cant win a war on terrorism because you dont stage war against a verb.

war against hunger, war against corruption, which one have we won ?

you stage a war against a definite target.
Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by NegroNtns(m): 3:39am On Jan 28, 2010
I didn't understand that you were talking of terrorism at that larger scope. I thought you were specifically referring to the kind of terrorism we are everyday hearing/reading in the news, for instance US War on terror in Iraq, Afghanistan and other parts of the world.

. . .it occurred to me beforehand that this might happen. So I opened with my first question "what is terrorism?" I closed by asking few more questions. . .who is a terrorist, can a doctor that deliberately infect people with deadly disease be called a terrorist. . . can a phamaceutical company that sold banned drugs and supervised their use under false claims be called a terrorist. . . can a hijacker who flew a plane into a metrocity be called a taerrorist?

Isn't terrorism like beauty? Its inherent in mankind and is in the eye of the beholder. Like theft, like prostitution. . . terrorism is an unwinnable war.
Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by muhsin(m): 12:48pm On Jan 28, 2010
Negro_Ntns:

. . .it occurred to me beforehand that this might happen. So I opened with my first question "what is terrorism?" I closed by asking few more questions. . .who is a terrorist, can a doctor that deliberately infect people with deadly disease be called a terrorist. . . can a phamaceutical company that sold banned drugs and supervised their use under false claims be called a terrorist. . . can a hijacker who flew a plane into a metrocity be called a taerrorist?

Isn't terrorism like beauty? Its inherent in mankind and is in the eye of the beholder. Like theft, like prostitution. . . terrorism is an unwinnable war.

Very good conclusion, Negro_Ntns
Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by NegroNtns(m): 3:52am On Jan 29, 2010
Thank you Muhsin for the feedback.

There is no one person that know it all, the interactions we have on ths forum through the various views are productive when people challenge existing pre-notions and are able to create breakthrough moments from which awareness are then updated. Otherwise we will continue to breed meek minds locked behind a a false sense of security that academic excellence alone is a guarantor of success and survival in a ever dangerous and evolving world that so far has proven that the globe is ruled by those who are proficient at applying the teachings of academia to the pragmatic world of co-existence.

So if you have gained any new awareness in this post, then be sure to create your own expansion from it and share that along. From one to the next, this is how we expand and grow in our understanding of humanity.
Re: Terrorism. . .is The War Winnable? by SapeleGuy: 4:26pm On Jan 31, 2010
emmatigana:

No, you cant win a war on terrorism because you dont stage war against a verb.

war against hunger, war against corruption, which one have we won ?

you stage a war against a definite target.

None.

Well done. A very concrete grasp of strategy, an uncommon skill in these parts.

(1) (Reply)

Pan African Youth Summit Ghana 2013 / Obama's Brother Living In A Slum In Kenya? / David Cameron Used To Be Against Mandela!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.