Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,960 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:54 PM

6.2 Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Turkey And Greece 10 Injured - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 6.2 Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Turkey And Greece 10 Injured (717 Views)

Magnitude 4.0 Earthquake In Ghana (Photos + Video) / Lockdown: My Visit To Street Market In Greece (photos) / My Visit To 1000-Year-Old Tree & Byzantine Museum In Greece (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6.2 Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Turkey And Greece 10 Injured by sloye5(m): 5:50pm On Jun 12, 2017
Turkey earthquake of 6.2 magnitude rocks Brit tourist hotspot of Lesbos, injuring 10 people and damaging homes on the Greek Island

The magnitude 6.2 quake struck off the coast of western Turkey

A STRONG earthquake has rocked the Greek island of Lesbos, injuring 10 people and damaging dozens of homes at the Brit tourist hotspot.

The magnitude 6.2 quake struck off the coast of western Turkey close to the islands of Samos and Lesbos, which are hugely popular with holidaymakers.

It struck at a depth of 10km today and tremors were felt as far away as the Greek capital, Athens, and Istanbul, according to the European earthquake monitor, EMSC.

The mayor of Plomari, Manolis Armenakas, told ERT state television: "We have damage to several buildings, old and new. We are now evaluating the damage.”

At least 10 people were injured in the village of Vrisa in Lesbos, Greek authorities said.

Didem Eris, 50, a dentist who works in Izmir's Karsiyaka district said: "The trembling was really bad.

"Everything in my clinic started shaking wildly, we all ran outside with the patients.

"We are very used to earthquakes as people of Izmir but this one was different. I thought to myself that this time we were going to die."

The epicentre of the quake was 84 km (52 miles) northwest of the Turkish city of Izmir.

At least 20 aftershocks were recorded.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3782277/turkey-earthquake-lesbos-greek-islands/

Re: 6.2 Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Turkey And Greece 10 Injured by sloye5(m): 5:53pm On Jun 12, 2017
Dozens of homes were damaged on the Greek island of Lesbos

AFP reporters in Izmir, Turkey's third-largest city, said the earthquake was felt in the city centre and caused alarm among residents.

Ayse Selvi, 61, felt the tremors in her summer home in Karaburun near the quake's epicentre.

"My God, all the picture frames fell on the ground and I have no idea how I ran out. I'm scared to go inside now."

Her sister Seval Isci, 57, fled her home in Izmir along with the other residents of the building when the first aftershock

Re: 6.2 Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Turkey And Greece 10 Injured by GloriaNinja(f): 5:54pm On Jun 12, 2017
undecided THAT'S THE ONE THING NIGERIA IS LUCKY, NO EARTH QUAKES OR ANY NATURAL DISASTER, JUST POLITICAL CORRUPTION IS WHAT NIGERIA IS SUFFERING FROM.

1 Like

Re: 6.2 Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Turkey And Greece 10 Injured by anestony: 10:58pm On Sep 29, 2018
u can say that again .

(1) (Reply)

World Most Livable Cities / 9 Of The Most Isolated Towns On Earth / Heartbreaking!! See Photos Of Hundreds Of Nigerians Who Died Of Hunger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.