Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) (55340 Views)

Don't Go Far Here Is What You're Looking For / Oyibo Making Jollof Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by jeff1607(m): 3:31pm On Jun 13, 2017
Seen many articles on different plants on how beneficial they are to our body,but one plant is usually left out that grows at our backyard.it is one of the most underutilized medicinal plant.

SCIENTIFIC NAME : Jatropha tajorensis
FAMILY : Euphorbiaceae
COMMON NAMES :Catholic vegetable, Iyana-Ipaja (Yoruba), Ugu-Oyibo (Igbo), “hospital too far” (Pidgin English)
PART(S ) USED : Leaves

This vegetable is planted and consumed by indegenes of Southern Nigeria. The volume of consumption of this plant is, by my own estimation (I stand to be corrected), more in the west and mid western states of Nigeria.

The importance of this vegetable to human nutrition and wellness is still not fully harnessed and given its due place. It is still one of nature’s underutilized herbs in this part of the world.

However, the simple fact that many know it as “hospital too far” alone is quite gratifying and is at the same time also an indication of its healing potentials which are known to selected few in our community.

Jatropha tajorensis addresses several disorders and pathological conditions in the body. Enumerating them one after the other would create the impression that this vegetable is almost a cure-all.

Nevertheless , I won’t shy away from mentioning just 6 health benefits of consuming “hospital too far” just to buttress its medicinal values.

1. As a SUPER ANTIOXIDANT herb, Jatropha tajorensis is good at preventing the onset of degenerative diseases; it is excellent in knocking off free radicals and stemming the harm on vital organs resulting from oxidative stress.

2. It is beneficial in the treatment of DIABETES MELLITUS and this is due to its confirmed HYPOGLYCEMIC action.

3. This vegetable is useful in the treatment of MALARIA.

4. Many patients have benefited in using this plant to manage their HYPERTENSION health challenges.

5. Jatropha tajorensis is an excellent BLOOD BUILDING herb and as such can be recommended to treat ANEMIA in young and old.

6. It supports SPERMATOGENESIS (formation of sperm cells in the testes) .

Big things and big results always lie in “small” things. When we start paying attention to these “small” things in our immediate environment we start achieving BIG RESULTS .

Good health and disease treatment and management is still within the scope, grasp and understanding of an average lay person and has not yet gone nuclear and digital. It’s all about what you believe, eat, live and think

http://florakarnataka.ces.iisc.ac.in/hjcb2/img/field/Jatropha%20tanjorensis/DSC_0082.JPG

culled from:http://www.healthbubbles.com/gb

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by jeff1607(m): 9:57am On Jul 29, 2018
Try for a week and see desired results
Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by okeyben10: 11:39am On Jul 29, 2018
Nice.
just yesterday was wondering d botanical name for ds plant and boom today I gerrit.

you forgot to mention that ds vegetables is equally tasty. these days I use it in place of ugwu. my tummy seems to tolerate it more. and its quite yummy on noodles.

I can testify to it blood building capacity.

indeed big results lie in small things

5 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by jeff1607(m): 8:46am On Aug 27, 2018
okeyben10:
Nice.
just yesterday was wondering d botanical name for ds plant and boom today I gerrit.

you forgot to mention that ds vegetables is equally tasty. these days I use it in place of ugwu. my tummy seems to tolerate it more. and its quite yummy on noodles.

I can testify to it blood building capacity.

indeed big results lie in small things

only few especially those that either stayed in the village or close to nature can attest to the benefits of this wonderful plant

gbo gbo nise
Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by chiscolin101(m): 3:44pm On Jun 01, 2020
How do you use it?
Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by SirMichael1: 2:37pm On Oct 03, 2020
chiscolin101:
How do you use it?
Boil for 2-4 minute and drink the water as tea or make a food delicacy with it. It's a vegetable too.

2 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by dataking: 8:44am On Oct 07, 2020
Where can I get it
Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by jeff1607(m): 10:41am On Oct 07, 2020
dataking:
Where can I get it

it's not readily in the market, but grown in the backyard because it gets bad a few days it's plucked.

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by sonofjos(m): 2:28pm On Sep 02, 2021
Thanks for sharing. It was helpful
Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by Niftykid: 10:13am On Jun 09, 2022
Pls I want to know. What happens if one grates the leaves and strains out the liquid to drink without boiling.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by tunnarsy(m): 8:14am On Jan 24, 2023
Please where can we get it in Lagos ?
Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by gentlesinna(m): 9:09am On Jan 26, 2023
Niftykid:
Pls I want to know. What happens if one grates the leaves and strains out the liquid to drink without boiling.
that's the best way to get ultimate result from it.....the strained liquid + milk = BLOOD TONIC 100%...tested and trusted ( from experience)
Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by jeff1607(m): 5:16pm On Feb 15, 2023
tunnarsy:
Please where can we get it in Lagos ?

Anywhere around and you don’t have to buy it since it isn’t sold in the market
Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by BigYash: 4:38pm On Feb 19, 2023
Asthmatic patients ,please avoid it.. You can use other vegetables o.. E get why..
Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by BellaLuce: 6:09pm On Apr 30, 2023
BigYash:
Asthmatic patients ,please avoid it.. You can use other vegetables o.. E get why..

Why, please?
Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by fweshface: 11:35am On Sep 06, 2023
BellaLuce:

Why, please?

Its not good when taken raw.
To get the full benefit boil in water before eating it. I will recommend you also consider soursop leaf and efo iyanapaja tea.
Take Apple, oranges and banana each day.
Dont eat much fat from meat.
Eat less bean due to the gas in it. Its good you drain the first water used to boil beans to reduce the gas.

Call for other asthma related matters
O7O 6S28 26I7

First aid to asthma treatment
Food for asthma
+more
Inhaler is very expensive now
You can live longer with asthma even without your ventoline inhaler or aeroline inhaler
Stay healthy
Re: Benefits Of Jatropha Tajorensis (“hospital Too Far”, Ugu-oyibo, Iyana-ipaja) by b3llo(m): 2:38pm On Mar 10
Good

(1) (Reply)

The Meals Twitter User Made With Less Than 3k!!! / Stir-fry Noodles Nigerian Style. / Man Eating And Sleeping In A Restaurant In Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.