Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,203 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m (6466 Views)

Again, CBN Boosts FX Market Liquidity With $210m / Cbn Further Boosts Forex Market With $195 Million / Naira To Appreciate Further As CBN Boosts Forex Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by mzirawo: 5:07am On Jun 14, 2017
CBN BOOSTS FOREX MARKET WITH $413.5M
source: http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2017/06/cbn-boosts-forex-market-with-4135m.html

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has intervened in the inter-bank Foreign Exchange market to the tune of $413.5 million, further underscoring its resolve to guarantee liquidity in the market as well as shore up the international value of the naira.
Giving a breakdown of the Bank’s latest round of intervention on Monday, June 12, 2017, the CBN Acting Director in charge of Corporate Communications, Mr. Isaac Okorafor, disclosed that the CBN offered the sum of $100 million to dealers in the wholesale window, while the Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) window was allocated a total of $28 million. The invisibles segment was allocated the sum of $25.5 million to meet the needs of those requiring forex for Business/Personal Travel Allowances, school tuition, medicals, etc.
According to Okorafor, the Bank also yesterday released the figures for the auction sales in the retail window last week, totaling $260million.
The CBN spokesperson said the Bank was optimistic that the Naira will continue its strong run against the dollar and other major currencies around the world, considering that transparency in the market has ensured greater stability.
On the Bank’s objective to achieve convergence between the forex rates at both the inter-bank and BDC segments, Okorafor said the CBN was confident of achieving the goal soon, particularly if all stakeholders played by the rules. He therefore charged all dealers, principally licensed Bureaux De Change (BDCs), to abide by the rule, for the sake of the economy.
Meanwhile, the naira continued to maintain its stability in the FOREX market, exchanging at an average of N362/$1 in the BDC segment of the market on Monday, June 12, 2017.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by NwaAmaikpe: 7:51am On Jun 14, 2017
sad

How long will they keep boosting...

This is a very artificial form of regulating Fx..but we are in a zoo and what does the polytechnic-graduate minister know?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by clems88(m): 7:51am On Jun 14, 2017
Hey you up there thatz my position don't be an imposter angry

Well if that will make the economy better and our naira to keep rising , they should keep pumping in dollar.

But what happens when there is scarcity of dollar

1 Like

Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by lovelove2323: 7:51am On Jun 14, 2017
nice one
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by Jodforex(m): 7:51am On Jun 14, 2017
angry
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by IMASTEX: 7:51am On Jun 14, 2017
Okay
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by LionDeLeo: 7:53am On Jun 14, 2017
Very good from the cbn.

But when will the withdrawal limit from Naira-denominated account abroad be activated/raised?

That will also reduce the pressure on demands for the dollars.

7 Likes

Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by Nobody: 7:54am On Jun 14, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
sad

This is a very artificial form of regulating Fx..but we are in a zoo and what does the polytechnic-graduate minister know?
I wonder especially when the oil price is falling internationally.
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by ANBAKO: 7:55am On Jun 14, 2017
With the billions of dollar intervention, Dollars is still stubborn....standing still at 360+

Now it's the time to go to the fundamentals.

Power, enabling environment for investment, education, healthcare, manufacturing, transportation, agriculture, mining, corruption eradication!!!!

3 Likes

Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by adecz: 7:58am On Jun 14, 2017
The economic problems of
this country was caused by
Emefiele & Kachiku.....

IPOB ppl... angry
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by clems88(m): 7:58am On Jun 14, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
sad

I can see your brain is suffering from malnutrition .
So you are trying to at nothing positive can come out of polytechnic graduate ? SMH for

1 Like

Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by dgr8truth(m): 7:58am On Jun 14, 2017
They should keep injecting! We are tired of the beating the Naira is receiving.

Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by teemy(m): 7:59am On Jun 14, 2017
i recently got a mail from gtb saying otherwise. they claimed they are sourcing dollars by themselves which is why card transactions now cost N390/$, way above the black market price. any other bank doing this?
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by HottestFire: 8:01am On Jun 14, 2017
toyetade:

I wonder especially when the oil price is falling internationally.

What else do you want them to do?
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by Nobody: 8:03am On Jun 14, 2017
Okay
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by Nairaboi(m): 8:06am On Jun 14, 2017
This guys should stop this and think of a better measure to strengthen the naira, the huge amounts been pumped into the FX market is more than enough yo kickstart very meaning projects that will leave to the naira having a better ground.
All these measures are bullshit, Nigerian policy makers are really F ups.
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by Nobody: 8:12am On Jun 14, 2017
They keep on injecting. The should stop this and build a sustainable economy.
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by erico2k2(m): 8:14am On Jun 14, 2017
Some people here comenting never seen or held dollars in thier life.
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by LionDeLeo: 8:15am On Jun 14, 2017
Nairaboi:
This guys should stop this and think of a better measure to strengthen the naira, the huge amounts been pumped into the FX market is more than enough yo kickstart very meaning projects that will leave to the naira having a better ground.
All these measures are bullshit, Nigerian policy makers are really F ups.

I hope you know the dollars being pumped is not for free?

I also hope you know the dollar earnings of the federal government is converted into naira to upset domestic financial obligations?

I also hope you know that pumping of dollars has been part of the monetary system?

Except if you are saying importers, travellers, foreign students and other legal businesses that require dollars should be barred from accessing the dollars.

That this government chooses to always make it public does not mean it has not always been so in any other administration.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by Opebitayo: 8:18am On Jun 14, 2017
dgr8truth:
Oh boy, this one na die
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by smartty68(m): 8:20am On Jun 14, 2017
I'm doubting this injections they've given to Naira, just hope these guys ain't syphoning this monies into their accounts... Just imagine how much billions they've wasted already and yet the Naira is still struggling to gain its values... I refused to be deceived undecided
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by Nairaboi(m): 8:21am On Jun 14, 2017
LionDeLeo:

I hope you know the dollars being pumped is not for free?

I also hope you know the dollar earnings of the federal government is converted into naira to upset domestic financial obligations?

I also hope you know that pumping of dollars has been part of the monetary system?

Except if you are saying importers, travellers, foreign students and other legal businesses that require dollars should be barred from accessing the dollars.

That this government chooses to always make it public does not mean it has not always been so in any other administration.
My man, I am not even referring to the present government. I am talking in generality of the kind of leaders we have. If better industries are set up, good schools and hospitals are built. who would want to import? who would want to school abroad? to me and many out there, there is no place like home. that's the basis of my post.

1 Like

Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 14, 2017
HottestFire:

What else do you want them to do?
Stop manipulating fx market.. L eave the fx prices to forces of demand and supply to encourage local production and create employment. Use our reserve to make life easy for common man. Develop electricity and other infrastructures
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by smartty68(m): 8:24am On Jun 14, 2017
dgr8truth:
Guy with this ya picture eh, e go hard for Naira to throw dollar for ground grin
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by HAH: 9:09am On Jun 14, 2017
smartty68:
I'm doubting this injections they've given to Naira, just hope these guys ain't syphoning this monies into their accounts... Just imagine how much billions they've wasted already and yet the Naira is still struggling to gain its values... I refused to be deceived undecided
Do you think the dollar is given to the banks and bdc for free by CBN? Nigeria earn majorly in dollars and it needs naira to pay for local services like salaries hence the need to change the earned dollars, thereby also at the same time stimulating the fx market by supplying dollars.

We mostly use imported goods that is bought in dollars that is why the demand is still high despite injection, but if we can make our refineries work and also dangote refineries coming on board couple with mass farming of rice and wheat I bet the dollar will seriously crash as petrol, rice and wheat eats about 70% of dollar in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by LordAdam16: 9:10am On Jun 14, 2017
Operation Whitewash Osinbajo and Operation Manipulate FX Market in full force.

Look at the nonsense article.

The amount of dollars injected this week was $153.5m. Amongst the lowest of this year. Certainly the allocations for invisibles and SMEs are the lowest since they opened their respective windows.

The $200m for spot was sold last week and should not have been added to this week's intervention to create a false sense of dollar glut.

The market saw through the BS anyway as demand outstripped supply and the naira is depreciating.

The media for the last two days has been pitiful, reporting false news like this and that naira is still appreciating when it is the reverse.

Crude oil is at its lowest level since the Nov cut, and it'd go lower should EIA data show another surprise inventory build up this afternoon (Nigerian time). Our reserves has shed the most money last month since Dec. And the CBN is already scaling back to reduce the impact.

Osinbajo in his financial recklessness sought to set a trap for Buhari by increasing interventions when reserves and oil was falling which would artificially prop the naira for the time he was Ag. President. And his plan failed with Buhari not coming back last weekend.

Now, oil is still falling, reserve is falling, and naira is falling.

The $1.8b he wasted to push naira from 390 to 365 to create a false sense of performance when the fundamentals were against such a decision will be another huge waste as the rate eats up earlier gains.

What I said days back:

LordAdam16:

That you think Modath is a speculator says a lot about your intelligence level.

Typically, when the value of the naira appreciates, it appreciates across the fence. Pound and Euro held steady and the dollar fell by 10 naira in one day? That hasn't happened since March.

Osinbanjo just threw out $1.2b in two weeks and our reserve fell by another $0.5b, all because he wants to be associated with appreciating naira? And when Buhari comes back and does the rational thing of purposeful spending and the naira drifts back to its correct level at this point in time, the media would call it bad luck?

The reserve has fallen for the 23rd consecutive day, by this time next week it'd be a month. The first time since December last year. By this time next week, if oil holds steady, the reserve would fall to below $30b. And oil output is increasing, meaning steady rather than rising prices?

The investor window has held steady at 380-382 regardless of the spending, whereas the black market has fallen by 25 naira? Now who is manipulating the market?

SMES, Invisibles allocations have all reduced from above $80 - $100m to less than $50m.

Left with that reckless midget, we wouldn't have a reserve.

Buhari should hold on in the UK and let this guy fall into the hole he is digging so frantically.

-Lord

2 Likes

Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by smartty68(m): 9:29am On Jun 14, 2017
HAH:
Do you think the dollar is given to the banks and bdc for free by CBN? Nigeria earn majorly in dollars and it needs naira to pay for local services like salaries hence the need to change the earned dollars, thereby also at the same time stimulating the fx market by supplying dollars.

We mostly use imported goods that is bought in dollars that is why the demand is still high despite injection, but if we can make our refineries work and also dangote refineries coming on board couple with mass farming of rice and wheat I bet the dollar will seriously crash as petrol, rice and wheat eats about 70% of dollar in Nigeria
I know jare! I need to see something different mbok undecided
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by martineverest(m): 9:32am On Jun 14, 2017
adecz:
The economic problems of this country was caused by Emefiele & Kachiku.....
IPOB ppl... angry
emefiele and kachikwu are not ibos
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by iwatch: 9:32am On Jun 14, 2017
teemy:
i recently got a mail from gtb saying otherwise. they claimed they are sourcing dollars by themselves which is why card transactions now cost N390/$, way above the black market price. any other bank doing this?

1 Like

Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by Ebube98(m): 9:45am On Jun 14, 2017
CBN’S N50 STAMP DUTY CHARGE. IS IT TOO MUCH?
source: www.kongonut.com

Late last year, CBN issued a directive for all Nigerian banks to charge N50 on every transaction above N1000, excluding deposits and self-to-self transactions. And early this year, diamond bank was the first to implement it (like they had been waiting for it! Stingy bank!). Trust Nigerians, everyone shouted and hollered calling the action all sorts of names. Some referred to it as daylight robbery.

Well… I’m not totally against this tax, afterall developed countries use it to generate revenue. But I’m against the amount. It is just too much. Especially when it is deducted as an accumulated backlog. Just one afternoon, you could start seeing series of messages popping into your phone, all telling you that N50 has been deducted for transactions done with your account since last year. And before you know it N3000 has disappeared just like, never to be refunded.

Nigerians have protested, appealed, but it looks like CBN and the Federal Government are bent on their decision. For me, I think CBN should increase the threshold clause. For example, the N50 is charged on transactions above N1000, but that N50 becomes very significant when it is deducted from N2000. It could make someone handicapped. So why not increase the threshold. Maybe deduct from transaction involving amounts above N10,000?

So far, diamond bank is the only bank that has taken the N50 matter up seriously. Surprising their customers at will with funny text messages. Nevertheless, such annoying intrusion into people’s bank accounts can be very annoying, especially when it is done much later after the customer must have forgotten about the transaction. This brings me to the final point.

If these banks want to take my N50, good! Let it be taken as my support in tax to the government of Nigeria, but please deduct the N50 immediately, so that I’ll be left to budget my remaining funds. Stop surprising and annoying me at my moments of peace with those messages.

Read more posts like this : www.kongonut.com
Re: CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m by maleeks(m): 9:47am On Jun 14, 2017
mzirawo:
CBN BOOSTS FOREX MARKET WITH $413.5M
source: http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2017/06/cbn-boosts-forex-market-with-4135m.html

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has intervened in the inter-bank Foreign Exchange market to the tune of $413.5 million, further underscoring its resolve to guarantee liquidity in the market as well as shore up the international value of the naira.
Giving a breakdown of the Bank’s latest round of intervention on Monday, June 12, 2017, the CBN Acting Director in charge of Corporate Communications, Mr. Isaac Okorafor, disclosed that the CBN offered the sum of $100 million to dealers in the wholesale window, while the Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) window was allocated a total of $28 million. The invisibles segment was allocated the sum of $25.5 million to meet the needs of those requiring forex for Business/Personal Travel Allowances, school tuition, medicals, etc.
According to Okorafor, the Bank also yesterday released the figures for the auction sales in the retail window last week, totaling $260million.
The CBN spokesperson said the Bank was optimistic that the Naira will continue its strong run against the dollar and other major currencies around the world, considering that transparency in the market has ensured greater stability.
On the Bank’s objective to achieve convergence between the forex rates at both the inter-bank and BDC segments, Okorafor said the CBN was confident of achieving the goal soon, particularly if all stakeholders played by the rules. He therefore charged all dealers, principally licensed Bureaux De Change (BDCs), to abide by the rule, for the sake of the economy.
Meanwhile, the naira continued to maintain its stability in the FOREX market, exchanging at an average of N362/$1 in the BDC segment of the market on Monday, June 12, 2017.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Soap Industry In Nigeria / Take Up My Potato/plantain Chips Business / Access Bank Records N381.3billion Income

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.