Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,553 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:16 PM

Cheap Home Remedies For Controlling Ticks In Pets - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Cheap Home Remedies For Controlling Ticks In Pets (7014 Views)

How To Make Cheap Home Made Food For Dogs / Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation / Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cheap Home Remedies For Controlling Ticks In Pets by petsarena: 4:30pm On Jun 14, 2017
Ticks are the tiny parasites, which look like a spider. They are a part of the arachnid family. They attach themselves to the body of human or animal and sucks blood. They are usually present in fur of various animals, especially dogs and cats. These tiny parasites are mostly active during warm weather, like summers or spring.

Home Remedies for Ticks

It becomes very upsetting, when our pets are attacked with ticks and fleas. Various lotions and creams are available in the market to get rid of ticks. But, they might not be as effective as home remedies.

Aromatherapy Oil
Essential oils, like basil, lemon, cinnamon, cedar, lavender, and pennyroyal are natural repellent for ticks. For removing ticks, prepare a mixture of any three oils. Mix one drop each of the three oils chosen and pure almond oil. Stir it well, and soak a cloth in it. Wrap this cloth on your pet. This remedy also helps in removing ticks from human skin. Just apply it on the skin.

Citrus
Citrus is abundantly found in oranges and lemon. All you need to do is to prepare natural repellent oil from these citrus fruits. Take out peels of lemon or orange and boil them. Let it cool down naturally. Apply it on the affected area of pets.

Note- This remedy is not suitable for cats as they do not like citrus fragrances.

You can also add juice of lemon or orange in a cup of water. Allow it to boil for some time. In the solution, add 5-15 drops of lemongrass oil. Shake it well and let it cool down. Apply it gently on the affected area.

Combs

Combs are the cheapest and easiest remedy against ticks. Whenever you return from a morning walk, do not forget to comb your pet. Combing once in a day helps in removing ticks, crawling on pet’s fur. Combs will surely sweep off ticks and prevent irritation.

Neem Oil
Neem oil is the most common oil for removing ticks from pet. The anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties of neem oil are meant to fight against harmful ticks. All you are required to do is to pour a few drops of neem oil on your palm and gently rub it on the affected region.

You can also prepare a spray with the help of organic neem oil. You have to mix ½ ounce of organic neem oil with ½ or ¼ ounce of mild detergent or soap. Stir it well and add this solution to two cups of water. If you want a stronger solution, mix 2 ml soap with two cups of water. Then, add 5 ml neem oil to it. Fill it in a spray bottle and use it immediately.

Neem oil is also helpful in removing ticks from human. Just apply a few drops of neem oil gently on the skin, especially covering the affected area.

Caution: Neem oil is not suitable for cats.

Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is also a beneficial remedy for removing ticks. You can prepare a spray with the help of apple cider vinegar. Pour 8 ounce of apple cider vinegar in a bowl. Add 4 ounce of warm water in it. Stir it well adding half teaspoon each of salt and baking soda. Fill the solution in a spray bottle and shake it well before use.

You can also use apple cider vinegar with lavender oil for removing ticks. Mix 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar in one cup of water. Add 15 drops of lavender oil in it. Mix it well and apply it on your pet’s fur.

It can also be used with neem oil. Take 500 ml water and add 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to it. Stir the mixture well adding two tablespoons of neem oil. Apply this solution on dogs to kill ticks. You can also spray this mixture on curtains, walls, and carpets.

Lemon Juice
The citrus acid, present in lemon, helps in removing ticks naturally. You just have to use a fresh lemon against ticks. Squeeze out some fresh lemon juice directly on ticks or affected area of pet.

You can also prepare a spray with ingredients, like lemon juice, peppermint oil, and citrus oil. Mix all the substances equally and spray it on required places.

You can also prepare a disinfectant solution for bathing your pet, with the help of lemon juice. Squeeze out the juice of lemon in a cup of water. Also add peels and pulp in the water. Put it on simmer for a few hours. Pour this solution in regular bath water.

You can slice a lemon and put it in a bowl of boiling water. Leave it overnight. Dip a sponge in the solution and apply it on troubling area of your pet.

Cedar Oil Spray
To get rid of ticks, use a cedar oil spray. Cedar oil acts as a repellent to harmful ticks. Use cedar oil spray, once in a day. Apply it directly on pet’s face, collar, and tummy area. This will surely drag out ticks from pet’s fur.

Vegetable Oil
Vegetable oils are rich in sulphur, which acts as a natural repellent for ticks. You have to mix two teaspoons of vegetable oil with 10 drops of peppermint essential oil. Add one teaspoon of dish washing liquid. Stir the mixture well. Apply it on pet’s body. Do not apply near eyes, ears, or mouth. For best results, practise this method once a week.

Vaseline
It is very simple to use Vaseline to remove ticks. Just take some Vaseline in your palm and rub it gently on pet’s fur, covering the infected area. Vaseline suffocates the ticks, and they will die. After applying Vaseline, comb pet’s fur. This method will remove ticks easily.

Garlic

Garlic is a strong repellent for ticks. . Dogs cannot take raw garlic because it can cause anaemia or damage red blood cells in dogs. Dogs should be served with food and soups, containing garlic.

You can also use garlic powder in place of raw garlic. Simply add 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder per pound of regular dog food.

Baking Soda
Baking soda is a natural remedy for removing ticks from pet’s body. To use baking soda against ticks, you need to mix half teaspoon each of baking soda and salt. Add this dry mixture to four ounces of apple cider vinegar. Pour this mixture in a spray bottle, filled with 4 ounce of warm water. Spray it on pets.

Caution: While spraying it, ensure that it does not reach the pet’s eyes.

You can also make a paste by adding little quantity of water in two tablespoons of baking soda. Apply it directly on problematic area.

Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is very effective against ticks. To prepare eucalyptus spray, you have to boil 15-20 leaves of eucalyptus in approximately 1 litre water. Let it boil for 10 minutes. After boiling, let it cool down at room temperature. Strain the solution in a spray bottle. Use the solution to kill ticks.

You can also make spray by using eucalyptus oil. You are required to fill a spray bottle with 4 ounces of distilled water. Add 10 drops of eucalyptus oil in it. Shake it well before use.

Liquid Dish Detergent
Continue reading@http://petsarena.com.ng/2017/06/home-remedies-for-control-of-ticks/

1 Like

Re: Cheap Home Remedies For Controlling Ticks In Pets by rumenase(m): 10:14am On Jun 15, 2017
OMG that dog ears gave me goosebumps

3 Likes

Re: Cheap Home Remedies For Controlling Ticks In Pets by dotedote: 4:00am On Jun 17, 2017
[quote author=rumenase post=57535803]OMG that dog ears gave me goosebumps

The owner of this dog should be with Evans

1 Like

Re: Cheap Home Remedies For Controlling Ticks In Pets by juceey: 8:03pm On Oct 03, 2023
09058965168 whatsapp me

My special tick mixture will permanently eradicate tick from your dogs within days
Call for yours
Re: Cheap Home Remedies For Controlling Ticks In Pets by GRACEGLORY: 4:31pm On Oct 04, 2023
ivermectin injection, once a month with the appropriate shot is all you need.
Ticks would be the ones fleeing from your dog.
Re: Cheap Home Remedies For Controlling Ticks In Pets by wittywriter: 12:08pm On Oct 05, 2023
juceey:
09058965168 whatsapp me

My special tick mixture will permanently eradicate tick from your dogs within days
Call for yours

GRACEGLORY:
ivermectin injection, once a month with the appropriate shot is all you need.
Ticks would be the ones fleeing from your dog.

Wittyness.
Re: Cheap Home Remedies For Controlling Ticks In Pets by TemmyWon(f): 10:25pm On Mar 28
I've used invermectin😭😭😭 yet my dog looks like the one in the picture . It's an ekuje puppy of 3month as. Howany mls do I use
Re: Cheap Home Remedies For Controlling Ticks In Pets by Namdeenero(m): 7:50am On Mar 29
TemmyWon:
I've used invermectin😭😭😭 yet my dog looks like the one in the picture . It's an ekuje puppy of 3month as. Howany mls do I use
Buy Bravecto

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Monkey babies available / Pet Owners , How Did You Pick Your Pet Name? Is Ther A Cool Story Behind It? / Which Breed Of Dog Can I Get For 5k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.