Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,370 members, 7,954,500 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:36 PM

Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction (15776 Views)

Femi Fani-Kayode & Orubebe Visit Goodluck Jonathan (Photos) / Supreme Court Quashes Uche Nwosu’s Candidature / Illegal Declaration: Appeal Court Awards N30m Against Julius Berger, Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by dre11(m): 6:58pm On Jun 14, 2017
Posted By: Eric Ikhilae, Abuja

The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja on Wednesday set aside the conviction of a former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Godsday Orubebe, for false asset declaration.

The Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) convicted Orubebe for failing to declare some of his assets during his stint as minister.

Orubebe was initially arraigned on November 9, 2015 on a four-count charge of false asset declaration.

He was accused of failing to declare the Asokoro land and accepting bribe.

A three-man panel of the appeal court held that the tribunal headed by Danladi Umar, was wrong to convict Orubebe for false asset declaration when he had sold the property he was accused of not declaring.

Justice Abdu Aboki, who read the lead judgment, faulted the CCT’s conclusions in its October 4, 2016 judgement and proceeded to discharge and acquit Orubebe.

The judge held that the issue before the tribunal was not declaration of title, but false declaration of assets and as such the unregistered instrument of transfer are admissible in proof of the payment of purchase price, which showed that Divention Properties Limited had acquired the property.

The CCT had dismissed Orubebe’s claim that he sold the plot of land to the Managing Director of Divention Properties Limited, Akinwumi Ajibola, for N10 million in 2011 and deployed the proceed to pay his rent.

Umar, in the lead judgment said after analysing all the testimonies given by Orubebe, it was difficult to understand why the property he claimed to have sold about six years ago still remained registered in his name at the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Land Administration.

Umar said: “To the tribunal, this is very absurd and not credible. The tribunal observed that under the Lands Instrument Registration Law, the DW1 (Ajibola) was under obligation to register/document his right over Plot 2057.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/asset-declaration-appeal-court-quashes-orubebes-conviction/

lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by genearts(m): 7:02pm On Jun 14, 2017
Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by martooski(m): 7:11pm On Jun 14, 2017
am liking this.... witch hunting is never the best, at the end of the anti corruption fight EFCC might end up paying more to the corrupt politicians... I laugh in Spanish

73 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by kurt09(m): 7:30pm On Jun 14, 2017
It is finished.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by vicdom(m): 7:46pm On Jun 14, 2017
Buari thought He can rule on the basis of perfidy and propaganda after winning and assuming the said position that same basis; I tell us solemnly that it's not possible.... Let's wait and see as much more unfold

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by APCsupporter: 7:50pm On Jun 14, 2017
what is happening in this country?

35 Likes

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by otokx(m): 7:57pm On Jun 14, 2017
We are experiencing change like never before.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by Dcomrade(m): 8:02pm On Jun 14, 2017
Lol.. ..this government should kindly stop their sermon of "fighting corruption". They should first learn how to pursue a corrupt case to a logical conclusion and not the media trial they keep deceiving the listeners with.

53 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:02pm On Jun 14, 2017
E be like say non of our leaders de guilty of corruption o

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by swagagolic01(m): 8:03pm On Jun 14, 2017
Lmao
Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by chiwetaluAGU(m): 8:35pm On Jun 14, 2017
grin cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by OBAGADAFFI: 9:15pm On Jun 14, 2017
Na so APC gragra end

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by ishiamu(m): 9:25pm On Jun 14, 2017
martooski:
am liking this.... witch hunting is never the best, at the end of the anti corruption fight EFCC might end up paying more to the corrupt politicians... I laugh in Spanish

2 Likes

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by Paperwhite(m): 9:44pm On Jun 14, 2017
After all the media frenzy propaganda trials,all end in a fiasco for APC.I can't but laugh this so called anti-corruption fight.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:46pm On Jun 14, 2017
The masses are hungry because of these fight against corruption! At the end no corruption was fought undecided

Buhari weldon sir

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by twilliamx(m): 9:47pm On Jun 14, 2017
i weep for nigeria. what this elders have turned this country into is so unbelievable.
Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by ndbest650: 9:47pm On Jun 14, 2017
Please help me with suggessions on how to cure irritable bowel syndrom

1 Like

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jun 14, 2017
APCsupporter:
Welcome to Chanji grin

27 Likes

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by salabscholar01(m): 9:48pm On Jun 14, 2017
Call me a pessimist but I think we all know which scenario we need to change ourselves, change our environment, our habit and our society. There are too many powerful (and wealthy) vested interests seeking to maintain thestatus quo. That interest alone speaks for itself. We need a change, really. but Meaningful change will only come when it is too late and even the elite realise that the status quo cannot be maintained.

The force of the nature will take all things to their places when the chips of side interests to maintain status are all down. The corrupt Judiciary will not be vocal enough to be heard. The beetles will who are the corrupt rich today will literally stop towering because their music will not be amplified loud enough to compete with forces of the corrupt-free society. Then this country shall be ruled by the elites who are willing to die for the trust and not for the money.

Let us change the world. Change one person for the better and the person will change another for the best.

3 Likes

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jun 14, 2017
APC media trials is ending up on paper.

Okon Obla the Prosecution in chief is busy writing about how APC will rule for 200 years while Sagay is busy collecting sitting allowance in the name of PAAC.

Osibanjo wil set up another committee to look into all these
acquitals and the committee will collect 100 million naira as sitting allowance

12 Likes

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by NwaAmaikpe: 9:48pm On Jun 14, 2017
shocked

Why didn't he shout.... No I will not accept it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by LordAdam16: 9:48pm On Jun 14, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Realignment for 2019.

Better choose your pay master carefully in this next round ooo.

-Lord

3 Likes

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by NwaAmaikpe: 9:49pm On Jun 14, 2017
shocked

I lost all respect for Elder Orubebe...after I discovered that while at NDDC, he dehumanized people like this

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by obicentlis: 9:49pm On Jun 14, 2017
What is actually the direction of this country?
Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by sweerychick(f): 9:50pm On Jun 14, 2017
APCsupporter:
corruption is fighting back

4 Likes

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by dodelight(m): 9:51pm On Jun 14, 2017
In APC's next life they I hope they'd know how not to subject their suspects to media trial first.
And could someone please help that guy called APCsupporter to understand that his beloved child, APC is being choked on its own pie- That's what is happening in this country!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by Firefire(m): 9:51pm On Jun 14, 2017
I will phigth kworuption. - Buhary

We warned you guys that the noise about phighting kworuption was just a waste of time, but the moronic Zone-Bs will rather choose to believe the lies.

APC, Party of professional liars and career rogues.

17 Likes

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by Sebastine1994(m): 9:51pm On Jun 14, 2017
A
Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by papaejima1: 9:52pm On Jun 14, 2017
We wee not take it....

1 Like

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by gegee(m): 9:53pm On Jun 14, 2017
now this is funny grin

1 Like

Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by APCsupporter: 9:53pm On Jun 14, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
Welcome to Chanji grin
You have been noticed.
Re: Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction by Eluwilussit(m): 9:54pm On Jun 14, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

My brother, may be na d masses de guilty of corruption. grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sokoto CPC Leaders Dumps APC To Join PDP, Say Buhari Is A Disaster To Nigeria / Anthony Attah: Decade Of Gas Initiative Will Transform Nigeria Into A Gas Nation / SE Traitors In APC, PDP Will Retire From Politics Prematurely - Igbo Elders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.