Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,593 members, 7,827,232 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) (6874 Views)

University Of Abuja Dean In Sex For Marks Scandal, Caught Pants Down / Peter And Mary Odili's PAMO University Of Medical Sciences, Port Harcourt (Photo / Protest At FUOYE Against Malomo, Dean Of Students' Affairs (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) by barbiebarbz: 9:32am On Jun 17, 2017
loool...to all the people talking, I want to ask when last did you visit a dentist? or you think the students work with cows? how many of you will opt for a root canal instead of an extraction? a root canal is about 15000 and extraction about 5000..because of this students will have to pay for the proceedures from their pockets
how many of you even have the time to wait in the long queues while the only supervising dentists goes round supervising about 20 students ?
how many of you are willing to come back every day for two weeks to check for electricity to a proceedure that will only have lasted 30mins?
how many of you are willing to hold your phone light to your face so that the students can see properly while they work?
these and many more are the challenges the students face? if they agree to pay for the patients and provide the materials to work will they also pay phcn bills and buy dental chairs
usually there are laid down proceedures but these proceedures are usually modified according to the circumstances during the school year such as electricity problems.
in all these we aren't talking about 5 or 10 students, we are talking about 50 students...all of them can't be unserious.
The criteria you are using to judge them and prevent them from doing exam is useless...imagine doing an amalgam filling in this day and age? or acrylic dentures as a permanent fix for an edentulous space? and at the end you graduate them as dentists
medicine is a continuous learning process even after you leave school you still need to learn more and you learn by experience...i could go on and on and on but one question for Mr 50class ones...how long ago did you graduate and how many were you in your class clinical dental student as at now are about 160 in number...I bet you never
envisioned having such a number In a Nigerian dental school!

2 Likes

Re: Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) by Nobody: 11:14am On Jun 17, 2017
I'm aware students pay 4 procedures to. Be able to meet up...plus 600 n 500L r both affected by this issh on ground...as I see it we r on d same side...correct me if I'm wrong
barbiebarbz:
loool...to all the people talking, I want to ask when last did you visit a dentist? or you think the students work with cows? how many of you will opt for a root canal instead of an extraction? a root canal is about 15000 and extraction about 5000..because of this students will have to pay for the proceedures from their pockets
how many of you even have the time to wait in the long queues while the only supervising dentists goes round supervising about 20 students ?
how many of you are willing to come back every day for two weeks to check for electricity to a proceedure that will only have lasted 30mins?
how many of you are willing to hold your phone light to your face so that the students can see properly while they work?
these and many more are the challenges the students face? if they agree to pay for the patients and provide the materials to work will they also pay phcn bills and buy dental chairs
usually there are laid down proceedures but these proceedures are usually modified according to the circumstances during the school year such as electricity problems.
in all these we aren't talking about 5 or 10 students, we are talking about 50 students...all of them can't be unserious.
The criteria you are using to judge them and prevent them from doing exam is useless...imagine doing an amalgam filling in this day and age? or acrylic dentures as a permanent fix for an edentulous space? and at the end you graduate them as dentists
medicine is a continuous learning process even after you leave school you still need to learn more and you learn by experience...i could go on and on and on but one question for Mr 50class ones...how long ago did you graduate and how many were you in your class clinical dental student as at now are about 160 in number...I bet you envisioned having such a number In a Nigerian dental school!
Re: Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) by newafricanman: 11:37am On Jun 17, 2017
oluseyioba:
Bro 50students in 500L are about to repeat because of procedures not attendance or sumtin more important

Thank you sir. I appreciate your innocence. Please, what I am saying is that in medical school, procedures are as important as attendance. A student can copy notes or access material online. TOn the contrary, the variety and number of procedures is scientifically determined. Those procedures are to build core competencies and skills necessary to produce a doctor who has demonstrated the evidence of being able to practice safely, competently and independently. That is why in the medical school you fail exams even if you score 100% in theory papers. Your 100% score becomes useless once you fail clinical. In dentistry, the procedures you are are trivializing help you to build the clinical skills needed to practice.

Is the picture a bit clearer now?
Re: Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) by barbiebarbz: 1:15pm On Jun 17, 2017
I understand very well that proceedures are necessary for every dental student before they graduate. it shows that they can't be left supervised and are responsible for any mistakes they make, but before you enforce proceedures as a basis to write exams please let dental clinic in LUTH be in order.
you can't tell me you are training dentists who can confidently run a standard dental practice.
how many of them have routinely seen rubber dam being used in the clinic talk more of using it themselves?
how many of them have seen Mineral trioxide being used during pulp capping proceedures?
how many of them can properly angulate a dental chair to work?
how many of them know that x-rays can be taken on the dental chair?
how many of them can comfortably do a crown preparation for a person who just finished RCT? A lot of people who have heard what is going on are dentists and very dentally aware people and
these are the basic skills that they need to run a standard dental clinic and they can't get such skills in LUTH , so why keep them there for an extra year all in the name of training? Let them write exams and let them graduate based on what the little knowledge the system can let them acquire and the ones that want to practice can actively seek knowledge elsewhere because they clearly can't get it even if they stay 10years in school.

2 Likes

Re: Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 17, 2017
Yes very clear,but why say do 5procedures each in each course wen 500L,600L,house docs,junior reg n senior regs r all looking 4 patients
newafricanman:

Thank you sir. I appreciate your innocence. Please, what I am saying is that in medical school, procedures are as important as attendance. A student can copy notes or access material online. TOn the contrary, the variety and number of procedures is scientifically determined. Those procedures are to build core competencies and skills necessary to produce a doctor who has demonstrated the evidence of being able to practice safely, competently and independently. That is why in the medical school you fail exams even if you score 100% in theory papers. Your 100% score becomes useless once you fail clinical. In dentistry, the procedures you are are trivializing help you to build the clinical skills needed to practice.

Is the picture a bit clearer now?

Re: Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) by barbiebarbz: 1:27pm On Jun 18, 2017
please go and follow @thatwhistleblower on instagram and Twitter too @thatwhistleblower
those are the people that have correct info! giving the gist directly. ..tweet at them with the harsh tag #fiftydentists

I'm surprised Linda Ikeji is yet to carry it!.. @Linda Ikeji please don't carry last oo
Re: Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) by Omonoba1: 4:42pm On Jun 18, 2017
barbiebarbz:
please go and follow @thatwhistleblower on instagram and Twitter too @thatwhistleblower
those are the people that have correct info! giving the gist directly. ..tweet at them with the harsh tag #fiftydentists

I'm surprised Linda Ikeji is yet to carry it!.. @Linda Ikeji please don't carry last oo
hmmm..It seems you are the whistle blower.
Re: Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jun 18, 2017
No wonder u went to uniben,pple wey go EKP dey comport wella
Omonoba1:
hmmm..It seems you are the whistle blower.
Re: Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) by Omonoba1: 9:13pm On Jun 18, 2017
oluseyioba:
No wonder u went to uniben,pple wey go EKP dey comport wella
The truth is; the quota for dentistry in Unilag is 40 and the school has made the first mistake by over admitting students so i think they are actually doing damage control by this move unlike uniben where they adhere strictly to the quota which is 25.

#Just my opinion though.l

1 Like

Re: Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jun 18, 2017
God bless you...u understand nw..they felt the students will fail n all but they refused to fail...so dem fail dem by force
Omonoba1:
The truth is; the quota for dentistry in Unilag is 40 and the school has made the first mistake by over admitting students so i think they are actually doing damage control by this move unlike uniben where they adhere strictly to the quota which is 25.

#Just my opinion though.l

1 Like

Re: Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) by barbiebarbz: 12:01am On Jun 19, 2017
well..quota or no quota...The damage has been done.
The students were admitted by the school who knew they had no facilities to cater for them.
I really don't see the need in giving them an extra year for an exam they didn't attempt as a form of damage control.
The school authorities should make sure these students graduate and start afresh with the incoming set.
so the yeye Dean knew there was a quota and there were more students than the quota limit and she still dey shakur...lol this is a simple case of when you don't put your house in order the passerbys will help you. Something that she would have just shut up her mouth and padded and now she wants to make students suffer for a structural problem. see her life outside...lol
and the people that are giving quota are the people that will not allow Nigeria move forward..we complain that there are no medical personnel yet we give a quota of 40 graduating dentists for an actively growing population.
there needs to be a big overhaul in the health industry.
I'm happy that this information is coming out..people's children have been suffering for so long and outsiders wil think they don't know anything. lets see how this unfolds *sits back with popcorn *

1 Like

Re: Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) by Animosityiskey: 8:42am On Jun 29, 2017
This is a section of the dental school that they are shouting about ooooo
This is the place that they want people to stay in for one year.
This place isn't fit for animals to be attended to
Look at the dirt in the cupboards
MDCN please come and save the Nigerian population!!!
my question is that even of they stay in school for one year extra...what can they possibly do?
limited facilities, dirty environment and poor patient inflow with limited staff also.
The clinic is under equipped and the students in there are more than the facilities can ever take, about 160 clinical students.
The plan by the school authorities is to prevent some people from graduating so that there will still be students who have to bring in their patients thereby generating money for the clinic. This is a terrible viscous cycle MDCN please come and save LUTH before they pack hepatitis and put in people's mouth.
Who knows if the instruments are sterile? be careful of where you go to open your mouth for check up.
The people in charge fail to realise that there is a thin line between being healthy and being a patient.
so this is the place they want to keep students all because of proceedures? it is a shame because even the students that did the procedures clearly don't know what they did..
they'll be rearing animals lowkey and say they are training people to be good dentists

Re: Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) by Animosityiskey: 9:34am On Jun 29, 2017
newafricanman:
Well my dear, I could shout and condemn you but I won't. Please read carefully.
1. We have a Faculty of Dental Sciences not a Dean of Medical Sciences. So, even your title is wrong.
2. The rule of 75% applies to attendance and NOT core skills required for your practice as a doctor/dentist. So you are wrong here.
3. In Ife, they keep to requirements. If you don't do enough, you can't do exams.
4. No dean insists on 100 percent. Your colleagues who wrote the exam did not achieve 100% of the requirements. So, sorry, again you are wrong.
5. During our days in medilag, you had to do 50 class 1, 30 class II, anterior RCT, posterior RCT, and a full care patient. This was aside oral surgery requirements, project in oral pathology etc.
How many did you do?
6. The rule of CMUL disqualifies you from resit if your reason for disqualification is procedures or other core clinical skills. The reason is simple,the skills you did not acquire in two years cannot be acquired in 3 months. So, again, you are wrong. The VC, NUC etc are credible personalities and authorities that won't endorse producing a doctor or dentist that has not demonstrated the ability to practice safely and independently.
7. My young friend and colleague, you will be Dean one day if you work hard. Castigating your dean and making a ridicule of you alma mata to be will affect you in the future. Please, delete this post and go and settle down and read. Do your procedures and inform the dean about challenges of electricity etc. New chairs and other equipment were fitted a few years ago, and many people grapple under the same challenges.
8. Please, respect the sanctity of our profession and remove this post and the picture of the Dean. She did not make the rules, the college made those rules. PLEASE,NEVER insult your teachers, no matter how pained you are. You will graduate soon and all this will be history.
9. The college of medinice, and the Dean of Dental Sciences should be congratulated for upholding standards. If you think this is wickedness, don't complain when a doctor kills your relative out of incompetence. Competence and skills should not be sacrificed on the altar of public opinion.
Thank you.
wow...somebody said standards!! congratulations to the Dean...This is your standards and the standard of the college. The only incompetence I see is that of alumni and professors seeing infrastructural decay and turning a blind eye to it.
and if anybody should kill anybody, the blood of that person will be on the heads of the people who we are congratulating for "upholding standards". I'm pretty sure you didn't learn under such derogatory conditions so why put your future colleagues through this? as humans our journey on earth will definitely come to an end, what will you have imparted on this people? even the guys that did the proceedures are you confident of their ability outside? with what im seeing, definitely not. Encourage this students to graduate because the college of medicine UNILAG lacks the very basics to train people and let them go and seek advanced knowledge else where..in this situation if you keep them there till the 2nd coming of Jesus, they cant learn anything.
Mr Do good, you and your colleagues should rally round and look for funds to revamp your infrastructure, since you are so concerned.
and congratulations once again to the members of your team who are "upholding the college standards" I'm very sure the provost of your college has a trophy for y'all!

1 Like

Re: Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) by Animosityiskey: 10:20am On Jun 29, 2017
newafricanman:
Well my dear, I could shout and condemn you but I won't. Please read carefully.
1. We have a Faculty of Dental Sciences not a Dean of Medical Sciences. So, even your title is wrong.
2. The rule of 75% applies to attendance and NOT core skills required for your practice as a doctor/dentist. So you are wrong here.
3. In Ife, they keep to requirements. If you don't do enough, you can't do exams.
4. No dean insists on 100 percent. Your colleagues who wrote the exam did not achieve 100% of the requirements. So, sorry, again you are wrong.
5. During our days in medilag, you had to do 50 class 1, 30 class II, anterior RCT, posterior RCT, and a full care patient. This was aside oral surgery requirements, project in oral pathology etc.
How many did you do?
6. The rule of CMUL disqualifies you from resit if your reason for disqualification is procedures or other core clinical skills. The reason is simple,the skills you did not acquire in two years cannot be acquired in 3 months. So, again, you are wrong. The VC, NUC etc are credible personalities and authorities that won't endorse producing a doctor or dentist that has not demonstrated the ability to practice safely and independently.
7. My young friend and colleague, you will be Dean one day if you work hard. Castigating your dean and making a ridicule of you alma mata to be will affect you in the future. Please, delete this post and go and settle down and read. Do your procedures and inform the dean about challenges of electricity etc. New chairs and other equipment were fitted a few years ago, and many people grapple under the same challenges.
8. Please, respect the sanctity of our profession and remove this post and the picture of the Dean. She did not make the rules, the college made those rules. PLEASE,NEVER insult your teachers, no matter how pained you are. You will graduate soon and all this will be history.
9. The college of medinice, and the Dean of Dental Sciences should be congratulated for upholding standards. If you think this is wickedness, don't complain when a doctor kills your relative out of incompetence. Competence and skills should not be sacrificed on the altar of public opinion.
Thank you.
your number 7 point amazes me.."new chairs and other equipment were fitted in few years ago, and many people grapple under the same challenges"
1st of all...if you are a dentist, you don't work In LUTH because the chairs that my sisters and i sat on when we came to the clinic were definitely not fitted few years ago. if it were it must have been brought in as "tokunbo" 2nd hand. and no form of maintance has been done on it...lol. The chair is just a piece of furniture. its function is to differentiate the clinic from an animal house.
"many people grapple under the same conditions". Mr New African man please change your name to "obsolete African man" because your mentality does not indicate that of a new African. how can grappling under poor working conditions like water and electricity be an achievement? is this the level Nigeria has gotten to? where we take pride In suffering for our right? Aye mi ooo instead of looking for how to make things right we are taking pride in struggling for the basics of life. it's a pity!
I'm very sure that if other students who made the proceedures had to grapple for the basics, then they are definitely not getting the right training.

1 Like

Re: Unilag Dean Of Medical Sciences (wicked) by Animosityiskey: 7:55pm On Jul 18, 2017
lol!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Another Esut Admission List Is Out For 2011/2012 Applicants / Difference Between Secretary General And General Secretary / 2018/2019 All Waec Wassce Specimens/practicals/ Solution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.