Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,899 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town (7116 Views)

My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? / I Need Greengo F1 And Darina Cucumber Seed / OUT OF STOCK - Premium Quality Tokyo F1 Hybrid Cucumber Seeds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by hybridveggies(m): 11:36am On Jun 16, 2017
Why Greengo F1 is one of the best commercially oriented cucumber seeds in town

There are many varieties of cucumber in Nigeria from different seed companies, some are good but one stands out due to the reason underlined below.

Deep Greenish plum fruit: Greengo f1 has one of the finest deep greenish colour of fruits you can find in Nigeria. Asides, it produces averagely equal sized fruits that are plum which enhances its package-ability.

Dioecious: Cucumber by nature is a monoecious crop but Greengo f1 is a dioecious. What this means is that it is similar to local papaya plant that has male and female flowers on different plant stands. In other words, out of ten plant stands, one could be male and the remaining nine, females. Mostly in ration 10:1, the few male plants stands are expected to pollinate the very many female plant stands with the help of beneficiary insects/winds.

Resistance to weather changes: Cucumber plants often respond to day length, heat, time of the year etc. This changes in environment causes cucumber plants to mostly produce predominantly male flowers with few female flowers resulting to potentially poor yield. Having an exclusive female plant stands from a diecious crops like Greengo F1 has solved this problem - A female plant would always be a female plant.

High yield: This is one of the benefits of planting only dioecious seeds. Since the ratio is mostly 10:1 in favour of predominantly female plants, you have potentially high yield every other thing being equal.

Market sentiment: The fresh veggies markets are predominantly disposed to deep greenish cucumber fruits especially in Southwest Nigeria. You have a better unit price from planting this type than the light greenish ones.

Resistance to Downy Mildew: This is perhaps the major threat in cucumber cultivation especially in raining season. There is no degree of preventive measures you can take to stem this infection if the variety in the first place does not have intermediate to high resistance to mildew. Greengo f1 has a very strong resistance to mildew even without preventive measures (though not wise).

Long shelf-life: This cucumber variety can stay for a week without depreciating in colour or firmness. Only few varieties if any can equal this. This is perhaps an attraction to both retailers and consumers.

Early maturity: The first harvest is as early as five weeks and a half from planting

Lastly, if you are still in doubt, just give it a trial and you would never cultivate other varieties of cucumber again in this class. Remember that in veggies farming, it is never a wise decision to always go for cheap seeds with cheap genes.

CONTACT: Greenfield Evergreen Resources Company for more info.
Office address: Suite 23, Adamasigba Stadium, Opposite Bureau D Change, Sabo (on the way to Danas), Mokola Roundabout Ibadan, Oyo State.
Sales Admin: 08099725807
Office Consultant: 09090312798

Visit our site to explore some of the finest practically oriented articles on veggies cultivation (www.hybridveggies.com)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by hybridveggies(m): 11:37am On Jun 16, 2017
The Greengo F1!

1 Share

Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by Dadanoah(m): 6:22pm On Jun 16, 2017
i want greengo seed. do u hav branch offic in kwara?
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by Dolypson04(m): 6:37pm On Jun 16, 2017
I will come to you office on Monday. The post came timely. Thanks
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by hybridveggies(m): 6:05am On Jun 17, 2017
We can't be more pleased to welcome you. Thanks.
Dolypson04:
I will come to you office on Monday. The post came timely. Thanks
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by arvinkz: 8:14am On Jun 17, 2017
they are small sized
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by hybridveggies(m): 1:06pm On Jun 17, 2017
Each well fed cucumber fruit is 20 to 30cm long and 6-10cm thickness. That is more than enough for a cucumber market by standard in terms of size. Each plant stand produces up to 10 fruits if wed fed. These are some of the attributes. There are some cucumber varieties as big as yam and have light green stripes but I can tell you the market terms such as IITA cucumbers and unfortunately the market has bias toward them. In term of retailing them, it does not pay the retailer on the street (not hotel/restaurant though) to sell very big cucumber fruits. The reason being that that cucumber is consider as fruit and taken as such; therefore average size sells faster than the very big size.
Consider this scenario; A 25kg sized bag of cucumber contains an average of 100 fruits. If that cost N5,000. It means a retailer can sell at averagely between N100 to N70 per fruit and still make his profit. On the other hand, if a bag contains very big fruits, it means one 25kg sized bag may contain 40 pieces; it means the landing cost of each fruit is N125. By extension, each fruit would be sold for an average of N170 to N200 for him to make profit. The question is; how many consumers on the street would buy a fruit of cucumber for N200? How many consumer can finish that very big fruit at a go? These are some of the reasons why cucumber market does not operate with that extreme big size culture unlike cabbage, tomato etc.
arvinkz:
they are small sized

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by GreatNegro(m): 8:11pm On Jun 17, 2017
hybridveggies:

There are many varieties of cucumber in Nigeria from different seed companies, some are good but one stands out due to the reason underlined below.

Deep Greenish plum fruit: Greengo f1 has one of the finest deep greenish colour of fruits you can find in Nigeria. Asides, it produces averagely equal sized fruits that are plum which enhances its package-ability.

Dioecious: Cucumber by nature is a monoecious crop but Greengo f1 is a dioecious. What this means is that it is similar to local papaya plant that has male and female flowers on different plant stands. In other words, out of ten plant stands, one could be male and the remaining nine, females. Mostly in ration 10:1, the few male plants stands are expected to pollinate the very many female plant stands with the help of beneficiary insects/winds.

Resistance to weather changes: Cucumber plants often respond to day length, heat, time of the year etc. This changes in environment causes cucumber plants to mostly produce predominantly male flowers with few female flowers resulting to potentially poor yield. Having an exclusive female plant stands from a diecious crops like Greengo F1 has solved this problem - A female plant would always be a female plant.

High yield: This is one of the benefits of planting only dioecious seeds. Since the ratio is mostly 10:1 in favour of predominantly female plants, you have potentially high yield every other thing being equal.

Market sentiment: The fresh veggies markets are predominantly disposed to deep greenish cucumber fruits especially in Southwest Nigeria. You have a better unit price from planting this type than the light greenish ones.

Resistance to Downy Mildew: This is perhaps the major threat in cucumber cultivation especially in raining season. There is no degree of preventive measures you can take to stem this infection if the variety in the first place does not have intermediate to high resistance to mildew. Greengo f1 has a very strong resistance to mildew even without preventive measures (though not wise).

Long shelf-life: This cucumber variety can stay for a week without depreciating in colour or firmness. Only few varieties if any can equal this. This is perhaps an attraction to both retailers and consumers.

Early maturity: The first harvest is as early as five weeks and a half from planting

Lastly, if you are still in doubt, just give it a trial and you would never cultivate other varieties of cucumber again in this class. Remember that in veggies farming, it is never a wise decision to always go for cheap seeds with cheap genes.

Office address: Suite 23, Adamasigba Stadium, Opposite Bureau D Change, Sabo (on the way to Danas), Mokola Roundabout Ibadan, Oyo State.

What is your view on Mona Lisa f1?

1 Like

Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by Ufeolorun(m): 8:19pm On Jun 17, 2017
How do ye sell them.
Thanks.
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by Jawn(m): 9:33pm On Jun 17, 2017
Thanks Op. Pls what are your prices on grams ? I want to give that a try. Though am on darina now.
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by hybridveggies(m): 4:59pm On Jun 18, 2017
Dadanoah:
i want greengo seed. do u hav branch offic in kwara?
No but please call 08131665289 to discuss further how you can get the seeds
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by hybridveggies(m): 5:07pm On Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for reading. MonaLisa f1 is also a product of Eastwest seeds also Greengo f1. However, Greengo f1 is a superior variety compare to monalisa f1. While monalisa f1 is a monoecious seeds , greengo f1 is dioecious though bothproduce deep greenish coloured fruits, the later is high yielding and has a long fruiting period than the former. Lastly, greengo f1 has a better resistance to mildew. Combining all these attributes make it more expensive than monalisa f1
GreatNegro:

What is your view on Mona Lisa f1?
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by hybridveggies(m): 5:27pm On Jun 18, 2017
You would never regret trying it. Luckily enough, it is packaged in small UV pack size of 500 seeds. Just get a sachet and in 6 weeks time after planting it, you would order for a truck load. Please note 500 seeds is around 20g
Jawn:
Thanks Op. Pls what are your prices on grams ? I want to give that a try. Though am on darina now.
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by es144000: 5:33pm On Jun 18, 2017
What is the cost f greengo. F1,price and how many seeds in a pack?
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by hybridveggies(m): 9:11pm On Jun 18, 2017
N4500/sachet of minimum 500 seeds or 20g. Germination % is over 90
es144000:
What is the cost f greengo. F1,price and how many seeds in a pack?
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by aquila3: 4:43am On Jun 19, 2017
hybridveggies:
You would never regret trying it. Luckily enough, it is packaged in small UV pack size of 500 seeds. Just get a sachet and in 6 weeks time after planting it, you would order for a truck load. Please note 500 seeds is around 20g
pls sir sorry for derailing frm cucumber to carbage issue, sir after how many day should i transplant my cabbage seedling frm nursery bed and what is the right time to plant carrot also does it require nursery.thanks.
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by hybridveggies(m): 5:21am On Jun 19, 2017
You can transplant your cabbage seedlings during this raining season between 3 to 4 weeks provided they have developed second level of leaves formation. Carrot would also require nursery because of the size of the seeds. The seeds are so small and tiny that planting them too deep would hinder their germination. On the other hand, planting them too shallow without any form of protection against heavy down pour would result into waste of seeds which is the reason why planting them in shallow soil but in nursery is very essential to having good germination and survival rate.
Lastly, carrot can be planted during this period as well. I hope you are aware of the retail price of carrot presently in town, I wish it stay that way till your harvest. You could visit our site www.hybridveggies.com for more resources that are indigenous to Sub-Saharan Africa. Cheers!
aquila3:
pls sir sorry for derailing from cucumber to cabbage issue, sir after how many day should i transplant my cabbage seedling frm nursery bed and what is the right time to plant carrot also does it require nursery.thanks.
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by Jawn(m): 7:00pm On Jun 19, 2017
hybridveggies:

How much is this one sachet ?
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by hybridveggies(m): 8:42pm On Jun 19, 2017
N4,500 please.
Jawn:

How much is this one sachet ?
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by aquila3: 6:29am On Jun 20, 2017
hybridveggies:
You can transplant your cabbage seedlings during this raining season between 3 to 4 weeks provided they have developed second level of leaves formation. Carrot would also require nursery because of the size of the seeds. The seeds are so small and tiny that planting them too deep would hinder their germination. On the other hand, planting them too shallow without any form of protection against heavy down pour would result into waste of seeds which is the reason why planting them in shallow soil but in nursery is very essential to having good germination and survival rate.
Lastly, carrot can be planted during this period as well. I hope you are aware of the retail price of carrot presently in town, I wish it stay that way till your harvest. You could visit our site www.hybridveggies.com for more resources that are indigenous to Sub-Saharan Africa. Cheers!
God bless you sir
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by jayyjayy1(m): 10:50am On Jun 20, 2017
@op wat is d difference between greengo and five rings
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by DEBJOCH1(m): 12:39pm On Jun 20, 2017
I did MuranoF1 some times in 2015, I got my seed from you through some one, at first stage, my plant did so great, but I was hit by sever draught then, the reason was because I targeted doing drying season farming thinking that getting access to water won't be my problem, toward late December to January, I was hit by sever draught my well dried up, every effort made to get access to water proved abortive, that was how I watched my promising Murano F1 died one after the other, within the month of February 2015 I felt like my God....., though I have learnt my lesson, I have gotten another site with availability of water but I am still hunted by the fears of the past. will greengoF1 now be my Savior as I am having at list a plot of land and I intend running a pilot farming on Greengo F1 cucumber there to know how my next step will be. kindly advise if I am good to go about that now. Your advise is welcome

1 Like

Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by hybridveggies(m): 5:17am On Jun 21, 2017
Hello,
I have never seen nor planted five rings f1 variety from POP Vriend seeds company but I ONLY have opinions on those seeds I have personally planted over a reasonable period of time. I equally form an opinion on the feedback I receive from people who I have been able to visit their fields.
jayyjayy1:
@op wat is d difference between greengo and five rings
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by hybridveggies(m): 5:23am On Jun 21, 2017
Please I guess that part of statement from you that you got seeds from me was a mistake. Anyway, you must realize that successful farming goes beyond having the production knowledge/techniques but also perfecting the logistic and marketing angles as well. You must always have a plan and alternatives before venturing into veggies cultivation otherwise it may just be another pipe dream. Please, your initial challenge was as a result of lack of proper planning for reliable source of water; it is not an uncommon issues with new farmers. Try not to be discourage but this time around, if you must plant during dry season, then you must perfect your plan and logistic before starting at all. You may check my signature if you wish to contact me via phone call for further conversation. All the best!
DEBJOCH1:
I did MuranoF1 some times in 2015, I got my seed from you through some one, at first stage, my plant did so great, but I was hit by sever draught then, the reason was because I targeted doing drying season farming thinking that getting access to water won't be my problem, toward late December to January, I was hit by sever draught my well dried up, every effort made to get access to water proved abortive, that was how I watched my promising Murano F1 died one after the other, within the month of February 2015 I felt like my God....., though I have learnt my lesson, I have gotten another site with availability of water but I am still hunted by the fears of the past. will greengoF1 now be my Savior as I am having at list a plot of land and I intend running a pilot farming on Greengo F1 cucumber there to know how my next step will be. kindly advise if I am good to go about that now. Your advise is welcome
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by AktiViti(m): 8:19am On Sep 17, 2017
hybridveggies:
Thank you for reading. MonaLisa f1 is also a product of Eastwest seeds also Greengo f1. However, Greengo f1 is a superior variety compare to monalisa f1. While monalisa f1 is a monoecious seeds , greengo f1 is dioecious though bothproduce deep greenish coloured fruits, the later is high yielding and has a long fruiting period than the former. Lastly, greengo f1 has a better resistance to mildew. Combining all these attributes make it more expensive than monalisa f1

@HYBRIDVEGGIES, there's a cucumber my friend planted sometimes last year (though I do not know the SPECIES) and after producing flowers, it did not form any fruits.
DON'T YOU THINK THESE GREENGO F1 or MONALISA F1 would have caused it since they have only one set of flowers
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by Chrisdewizard: 8:41pm On Apr 18, 2018
AktiViti:

@HYBRIDVEGGIES, there's a cucumber my friend planted sometimes last year (though I do not know the SPECIES) and after producing flowers, it did not form any fruits.
DON'T YOU THINK THESE GREENGO F1 or MONALISA F1 would have caused it since they have only one set of flowers
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by Chrisdewizard: 8:44pm On Apr 18, 2018
Mona Lisa is pure scam, i planted it produces only male flowers, regretted going for that variety.
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by bakinnola79(m): 12:33am On Apr 20, 2018
Please what is the current price of Greengo F1 cucumber seed and also is it advisable 2 plant cucumber without using trellis?
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by bigs25(m): 11:29am On Apr 20, 2018
Pls, what variety of cabbage hybrid seeds can be likened to greenfo F1 and how much is it? Tnks.
Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by staysure: 10:07pm On Apr 21, 2018
hybridveggies:

Visit our site to explore some of the finest practically oriented articles on veggies cultivation (www.hybridveggies.com)

Re: Why Greengo F1 Is One Of The Best Commercially Oriented Cucumber Seeds In Town by johnnyblaze424: 9:44pm On May 17, 2019
[quote author=staysure post=66915222][/quote]
Do I need to plant a monoecious variety (as a polinizer) along with green go

(1) (Reply)

Agro-processing Machinery And Equipment Suppliers / Layers Battery Cage Pictures / How To Grow Square Watermelons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.