Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,553 members, 7,827,073 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Why Is Price Of Commodities Lesser In Cotonou Than Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Is Price Of Commodities Lesser In Cotonou Than Nigeria (802 Views)

Prices Of Commodities Before Buhari & Prices After Buhari / Dangote Faults Kenya Over Corruption: Is Kenya More Corrupt Than Nigeria? / CBN Fails To Print Lesser Naira Denominations In One Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Price Of Commodities Lesser In Cotonou Than Nigeria by ijinleoro: 2:43pm On Jun 16, 2017
Fellow Nigerians,
Please let us reason together:

Why is the price of rice and other essential items cheaper in cotonou than in Nigeria? I understand that rice importers in Nigeria buy rice at the same place where cotonou importers buy theirs, but Nigeria importers simply re-bag it and sell almost double the price they bought, while cotonou importers sell theirs only with marginal profits. If this is true, then why can’t Nigerian government simply force these importers to reduce the amount they are presently selling rice to the level of that of Cotonou, if really the government cares for the welfare of her citizens.

Is it true that stallion, dangote and other rice importers have constituted themselves into cabal thereby imposing exorbitant price on imported rice, or is it that the Nigerian government has imposed higher tariff on imported rice and other essential items to the detriment of her citizens.

Food, clothing and shelter are the most important needs of every human being. I am very sure that if Nigerians can feed conveniently, cloth and get a good shelter over their heads, then, we would have lesser problems in our hands. I even learnt that the price of cement and other building materials is cheaper in cotonou than in Nigeria.

Therefore, there is the need to focus, discuss and find out: WHERE DID WE GET IT WRONG.
Analyst and expert in the house should please shed more light on these issues.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Price Of Commodities Lesser In Cotonou Than Nigeria by SUPERPACK: 2:51pm On Jun 16, 2017
there is ban on importation foreign rice in the country, this has led to smugglers doubling the cost of selling rice to the consumers due to the risk involved.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Price Of Commodities Lesser In Cotonou Than Nigeria by calberian: 3:13pm On Jun 16, 2017
Ban on importation without commensurate increase in local production.

Since the demand is either unchanged or increasing while the supply is stifled by up to 50% (it would have been worse if not for the efforts of smugglers), it only makes sense that the price will skyrocket. O'level economics
Re: Why Is Price Of Commodities Lesser In Cotonou Than Nigeria by kolaish(m): 6:16pm On Jun 16, 2017
SUPERPACK:
there is ban on importation foreign rice in the country, this has led to smugglers doubling the cost of selling rice to the consumers due to the risk involved.
please correct me if I am wrong, this foreign rice are still brought into this country through our sea port legally and sold to the nigerian market.

(1) (Reply)

Get A MAGNETIC Flier and Move Your Potential Customers To Buy (for FREE) / Payoneer Funds For Sale @300 Per Dollar / Driversng Does The Magic, What Are You Still Waiting For? Get A Driver Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.