Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,041 members, 7,835,510 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Ikwerre And The Igbo Cousin, Matters Arising - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ikwerre And The Igbo Cousin, Matters Arising (672 Views)

Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group / Kidnappers Kill Samuel Wanjoku, Dead Body Found In A Forest In Ikwerre, Rivers / PDP Members Attacked In Ipo Omademe, Ikwerre Rivers State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ikwerre And The Igbo Cousin, Matters Arising by ariesbull: 10:30pm On Jun 17, 2017
AN IKWERRE MAN: Barrister Uche Okwukwu
educate others that Ikwerres are Igbo people with facts and figures............................
Barrister Uche Okwukwu you are known by many people for different things, controversial is one of them.

Once, you were quoted as saying that Ikwerres are Igbos just as you were also quoted as supporting the MASSOB struggle at a time.
Can you react to these sayings?

Yes, my name is Uchechukwu Okwukwu. I am an Igbo man. I have said it in different fora, the
Willink report is available, the Ph’D work of Late
Chief Aguma in University of Ibadan 1977 is
available, other reports are also available. There
is a fundamental difference between a nation and a tribe.

A tribe speaks a dialect, a Nation speaks a
language. Some Ikwerre people agreed that they
are from Igbo, some say they are from Benin
heritage. Scientifically, there are parameters we
use to determine things, the sociological, spiritual, geographical and historical. If you say you are from Benin, come with your proof and show us how you came from Benin. There is no common thing that trace Ikwerre lineage to Benin.

There is no single common Edo language in the Ikwerre land. None. So, those who, in falsification of languages, say otherwise, should come forward with their proof.

In a study carried out by the Niger Delta group in 1976, under the Niger Delta spirit, edited by Prof
Alagoa, the Ikwerre was clearly pointed out as
Igbos.

See, to lose a war is bad-the post-war Nigeria saw the two groups, the Igbos and Niger
Delta as conquered people and the victorious
North and the West clearly, unequal partners in a new relationship that eventually emerged and in that unequal relationship, like the law of Osmosis, weaker solution is naturally drawn by the stronger solution.

What happened was that if you said then, you’re an Igbo, you are hated because you’re a Biafran you committed a crime, your master is in Cote d’Ivoire you raised up arms against the Federal Government, forgetting that according to Gabriel Onyeke’s Commission of enquiry 30,000 Easterners were massacred.

So everybody said I am not Igbo purely as a
survival syndrome. Why would you say you are
Igbo, when you were not wanted? Of course, my
name is Uche Okwukwu, so you can ask me my
name and I will say’ am not Igbo, because if I say I was Igbo, I will be punished, but you would
agree with me in this state that the great and
mighty of Ikwerre land agreed that they were all
Igbos.

They include late Francis Ellah, former
Secretary to the Rivers State government who
said he was an Igbo man, the late Okugbule
Wonodi, former registrar of the University of Port Harcourt said the same.

Chief C. C. Nwuche said he is an Igboman, so what crime has Uchechukwu Okwukwu committed? What is the contention of Ogbakor Ikwerre on this? Do you belong to Ogbakor Ikwerre? Ogbakor Ikweere is an umbrella socio-cultural body, it has never said no Ikwerre man should have a different opinion on any issue.

Do they agree with you on this issue?
No, Ogbakor Ikwerre doesn’t need to agree with
me because, it has never, ever driven any Ikweere man for identifying with the Igbos or one who said, he is an Igbo man.

We hope they will not sanction you?
They never drove away Okugbule Wonodi, they are not thinking of that because there are available records to show, everybody wrote with his own hand writing. When people who went to school wrote in their own handwriting, when they were not biased, people wrote tribe and nation, such records are available.

What happens in this country is that we like to
suppress truth. Believe me, this is the biggest
shame coming from this part of the black race, it is not a courageous race ,the race is always very petty.

Today’s US President Barack Obama told American voters I am pure Black American” he said, my father came here to get scholarship to study Medicine, because of internal crisis, and then government received Obama’s father into the US.

The Kenyan’s son said my name is Barack
Obama ,my background is Kenya. He never said I come from America and I will answer Bush or
White. ,if it were in Nigeria, he would start
answering another name or remove Barack
Hussein Obama, because America had problem
with the Muslim extremists, then.

Do you think that the MASSOB struggle for a
Biafran nation is realisable under the Nigerian
Government? Every struggle under the sun is realisable, every dream you have can be realised. I asked because most Ikwerres say they are not Igbos.

It is not what we feel or think, many may
speculate that I am a multi-millionaire, but I am
not a millionaire, it is just an opinion. I have said
and quote me, Uche Okwukwu, take me up, put
me down, bury me 5ft underground, I am an Igbo man. What is wrong with that? I have said it before and I have given great names who also
said they were Igbos too, identity is very
important see, I read a book sometimes in
London.

I recalled the history of the Samarians, and I read it in the monastery, and beheld how a
man was asked the question, who are you?

When he mentioned his name, the man asked him again, do you remember what happened to your people? He answered, no, so, the man then told him to go back and read his history because, the Samarians are today a lost tribe, because they refused to read their history
Is that why you were once said to have supported the hoisting of the Biafran flag in Rivers State?

MASSOB is an idea, I believe in ideas and in what I call appropriate fiscal principles and I believe in many other progressive principles.

When we go into the river to fish, there are all kinds of fishes, Tilapia, and the rest, but some other persons may be looking for the type of fish that is not known to us and which is not too popular.

The Movement for the Actualization of the
Soverign State of Biafra raised the flag of Biafra
(MASSOB) in 2000, because they perceived
injustice, and that perceived injustice they
believed, could only be addressed when a peaceful process produces a clearer political space.

The Ogoni people raised a flag in 1990 when they felt that they were being oppressed, they had a national anthem, I have attended a meeting of Odua Peoples Congress, (OPC) when a flag was raised, even when it was from the Yoruba nation but because these people speak Igbo and you understand Igbos are people that are hated in Nigeria.

Whatever they say the talk is: bring them let’s kill and sacrifice them. They were not the first to raise a national flag. The first flag was raised by the Arewa, before Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu raised the Biafran Republic’s
flag, but nobody discussed it.

They suppressed it, the British intelligence suppressed it, the truth is that I subscribe to the fundamental principles of Biafra because it is a foundation that supported that the issues be addressed.
Re: Ikwerre And The Igbo Cousin, Matters Arising by Afam4eva(m): 10:33pm On Jun 17, 2017
Una no dey tire?

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre And The Igbo Cousin, Matters Arising by 0b100100111: 10:59pm On Jun 17, 2017
grin grin grin

Topic is always funny!

An Igbo man calls an Ikwerre man Igbo but an Ikwerre man will never accept that he is Igbo.

Most funny when an Ikwerre man tells an Etche man that he is practically not from Rivers State cos he is Igbo.

Ikwerres never want to accept that they re Igbos cos they know the Ijaws will capitalize on it to claim ownership of River state. They detest it alot.

Its always fun seeing them deny it and accusing another tribe even when language and culture re similar!
Re: Ikwerre And The Igbo Cousin, Matters Arising by Pcharles2(m): 11:22pm On Jun 17, 2017
I lived in Port Harcourt for many years. I did'nt bother to learn the Ikwere Language because my Ikwere friends were speaking the Igbo Language as much as l do. They speak lgbo language as a their central language yet claim not to be lgbo. It's ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre And The Igbo Cousin, Matters Arising by Pharaoh9(m): 11:55pm On Jun 17, 2017
How Fulani Herdsmen Destroyed 50 Million Naira worth of Agricultural Investment In Edo State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5LZMNBaNaU
Re: Ikwerre And The Igbo Cousin, Matters Arising by feelgoodInc: 12:09am On Jun 18, 2017
p3Ac3:
No 1 Nigeria Forum, Biafrasay Forum http://biafrasay.com
created by a Yoruba man, because I've noticed every Yoruba man keep advertising this site

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Removal Of CRK From School Curriulun: My Take. / Kola Aluko - Jide Omokore - Diezani Looting - Tinubu's Connection / Gov Kashim Visits 195 Orphans Studying At El-kanemi College Of Islamic Theology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.