Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Adamu Tilde Shared His Experience Observing Ramadan During His Studies Abroad - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Adamu Tilde Shared His Experience Observing Ramadan During His Studies Abroad (390 Views)

Apostle Suleman Preaches Against Sending Children For Studies Abroad / Observing A White Fast / Traumatized Nigerian Doctor Shares His Experience With A Ghost (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Adamu Tilde Shared His Experience Observing Ramadan During His Studies Abroad by RealYaks: 1:29pm On Jun 18, 2017
Remember this post that make front page?
https://www.nairaland.com/3171326/almajiri-adamu-tilde-graduates-hungary#46645588
He just share his experience observing Ramadan abroad.

"By Adamu Tilde

“Allah Daya Gari Banbam!”

I could not think of a better phrase that aptly captured my Ramadan experience in Central Europe than the above adage. It was, indeed, Ramadan Unusual, like never was. It was just “too dry” as we say in a popular Nigerian parlance.

Ramadan, as I am used to, symbolises a period of mystical experience, jollification and merrymaking. It is much more than a mere abstaining from eating and drinking from sunrise to sunset. People welcomed Ramadan with both arms open. A week to Ramadan means intense preparation, stocking and distribution of foodstuffs, exchange of gifts and sending of goodwill to loved ones. That was my sole and only definition of Ramadan period; well, until I found myself in Central Europe.

“We should expect to start fasting either on this or that day” the Imam announced after Jumu’a prayer. It was then I was reminded of the forthcoming Ramadan. It couldn’t have been duller, blander and staler!

Nothing signifies Ramadan’s anticipated presence other than this one-line announcement. I was like, this Imam must be kidding! Ramadan and no fanfare! I mean, where is the aura and tranquility that often usher and herald the coming of Ramadan? Where is that feelings of getting into a special period - a period of introspection, contemplation, reflection and purification of soul - feelings of closeness to one’s Benefactor (exalted be His Name)? This must be another world!

A depressing feeling began to creep in, gradually. I felt alienated and out of place.

After accepting the sad reality of my existence, I couldn’t think of buying anything; besides, what is even there to buy other than multiple forms of wheat-flour - Gyros, Kebab, Pizza, Burger, Cake etc.

Another startling and unsettling reality of my existence was that we were in Summer time. And Summer means praying Isha’ at 11:00pm and Subh at 2:30am. In other words, I had only 3-4 hours between Suhoor and Iftar. The longest one would fast in the tropics is 14 hours. Here, I had to fast for 20-21 hours!

It then dawned on me that if I made the mistake of sleeping between Iftar and Suhoor my name would be changed to “Marigayi!” When I told my mum the number of hours I would be fasting, she joked that, given the nature of my frail body, by the time Ramadan ran out I would be as lean as the numerical number 1!

The thought of what to break the fast with during Iftar was more dispiriting and morale-killing than the number of hours to be observed fasting. My brain couldn’t accept Pizza for Iftar. Impossible! A ‘Buda-Baki’ without ‘Kunu’ and ‘Kosai’! And worse, for a Fulani man for that matter?! Is that one 'Buda-Baki'? Borrowing from the Pentecostals’ hush tone, I exclaimed, The Devil is a Liar!

As the days passed, I got used to the strangest Ramadan of my life. I was relieved for the presence of good internet connection to listen and watch Tafseer as they occur in Nigeria.

One of the funniest things that I would live to remember was that when we reached the last ten days of the month. A brother from Sudan asked me as the Imam whether we could observe Tahajjud. I looked at the remaining Maamu to read their reactions. They were all incredulously dumb-founded. I told him, well, as you can see, we are just finishing the Taraweeh and it is already 12am. And we are expected to stop Suhoor by 2am. So I jokingly teased him whether he thinks it is wise to observe Tahajjud and let go of Suhoor? I then reminded him that both Taraweeh and Tahajjud mean the same thing - they are all referred to as Qiyamul Lail!

It was an experience!"

Source https://yaksland1..com.ng/2017/06/my-experience-observing-ramadan-in.html?m=1

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Muslims Lend Christians Hijab To Escape Isis Attack / Rhapsody Of Realities Daily Devotional For Today / How To Be A Man After God's Heart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.