Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,877 members, 7,866,359 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 03:51 PM

Bob Marley: Legend Forever - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Bob Marley: Legend Forever (538 Views)

Meet Bob Actor 'Calypso King' Singer Who Dressed As A Woman Even Before Bobrisky / See Bob Risky's Racy Bikini Outfit,fans React;"what Are You Hiding?" / Wizkid Chillls With Damian Marley, Bob Marley's Son (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bob Marley: Legend Forever by badguyleke(m): 6:37am On Jun 21, 2017
Bob Marley:Legend forever

Robert Nesta Marley(Feb 6 1945-may 11 1981)36, was born in a rural village nine miles, in Jamaica, by Cedella, a 19 year old village girl and Norval Marley, a British naval captain in his 60's. he grew up in this village. he moved to Trenchtown in the 50s, and at 14 he was a welder's apprentice. this was where he met Tosh and Bunny wailer, they would sing and rehearse together.
In 1963, Bob Marley and the wailers got signed by Leslie Kong, a music producer to studio one, and they released "simmer down" which sold over 80,000 copies, but they were paid a meager 20$. They left studio one after they discovered Leslie Kong was exploiting high and paid them cheap.
At 21, he married in Rita Anderson a beautiful Sunday school teacher in 1966, and moved to Delaware USA, where he worked as a DuPont lab assistant and on an assembly line at a Chrysler plant.
he started a wail N soul M movement( a label)but dissolved in 1968 due to lack of resources. In 1970, Bob Marley and the wailers released their first first album in the UK with producer Lee Perry(Scratch).
Bob went to Sweden in 1971 to work on a film score with Jonny Mash. Marley went to island records to sought finances to record a single, and met Chris Blackwell, the founder, and instead gave him 4,000£ for an album. He released "catch a fire" album in April 1973, and "burning" album October 1973. July 1973, they were hired to open gigs for Bruce Springsteen on a 17-city tour, but they were fired after four shows cos they were too good, and they took all the adoration and admiration.
Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer left the group to go solo in 1974, but Bob never changed the name of his group. He released his third album for island record "natty dreads" in October 1975. The harmonies of Peter Tosh and Bunny wailer were replaced by the I-threes:Rita Marley, Maria Griffiths, and Judy Mowatt.
He catapulted to international stardom in 1976, with the album "rastaman vibration", his only album to reach billboard top 200 at no 8. December 3, 1976 while rehearsing for a national performance in his country, there was an assassination attempt on his life, but no one was killed in the attack. He went of with the performance. Three months after the "smile Jamaica" concert, he flew to London where he recorded "exodus" in 1977, and "kaya" in 1978. The "exodus" remained on the UK chart for 56 consecutive weeks, while "kaya" hit number one on British chart. He went back to Jamaica in 1978. he received medal of peace on June 6, 1978 at the United nations in New York.
He visited Ethiopia in 1978, the spiritual home of Rastafari, and stayed in shashamane. "Babylon by bus" was their second live album. in 1978, Bob Marley and the wailers toured Japan, Australia, and new Zealand."survival" was his ninth album for island records, released in 1979.
April 1980, "Bob and the wailers" were the only foreigners that performed at Zimbabwe's official indepedence ceremony, at the invitation of the newly elected president, Robert Mugabe, and the first word officially spoken in this independent country was 'ladies and gentlemen, Bob Marley and the wailers'. There was stampede at Zimbabwe's national stadium and teargas was released into the air, even Bob's band went back to their hotel room but Bob went to the stage, and performed.
"uprising" was the final album to be released in his lifetime. another European tour in 1980, and it broke their record of 100,000 attendance in Milan, Italy.
in 1977, while he was playing soccer he had an injury on his big toe, and it developed into cancer which later spread through his brain and lungs. he was advised by doctors to amputate the leg but due to his Rastafarian beliefs, he refused.
in April 1981, he was awarded Jamaica's third highest honor, "order of the merit". may 11, 1981, Bob died of cancer, and he was buried in a mausoleum in nine miles, his birthplace. Bob was given a national burial, with many head of states in attendance.
Bob was nicknamed 'Tuff Gong' meaning 'the wrong guy to screw with', and "white boy" cos of his mixed racial makeup.
Bob's former manager was Don Taylor, he fired him and beat him to pulp cos he'd been robbing him. Bob was famous for making his band rehearse hours and hours after any normal person would have dropped exhausted to the floor.
"buffalo soldier" was recorded in 1980 but was released in 1983. he had more than ten children, and from different women.
greatest hits album "legend" was released in 1984. He loved soccer, and was a professional and great player. Bob Marley and the wailers had eleven albums, four live0 albums and seven studio albums.. he's fifth on Forbes list of top-earning dead celebrities.He has sold more than 75 million album in two decades.
his achievements include: 1976-band of the year
1978-united nations peace medal of the third world
1981-Jamaica's order of merit
1994-rock n roll hall of fame
1999-"exodus" was named time magazine's album of the century, and "one love" song of the century
2001-2171st star at the Hollywood walk of fame
2001-Grammy lifetime achievement award
2004-rolling stone's 100 greatest artist of all time at no 11
2006-UK's blue plaque
2006-Bob Marley's boulevard, Brooklyn, new York
2010-Grammy hall of fame "catch a fire" album
2012-Bob Marley day in L.A
2013-Grammy all star tribute performance
and many more.....
his famous quotes include “I don’t believe in death, neither in flesh nor in spirit.”
“When one door is closed, don’t you know, another is open.”
“Don’t gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver and gold.” —Zion Train, from the album Uprising (1980)
“In this great future, you can’t forget your past.” —No Woman, No Cry, from the album Natty Dread (1974)
“A hungry mob is an angry mob.” —Them Belly Full (But We Hungry), from the album Natty Dread (1974)
“All dese governments and dis this and that, these people that say they’re here to help, why them say you cannot smoke the herb? Herb… herb is a plant, you know? And when me check it, me can’t find no reason.” “All them say is, ‘it make you rebel’. Against what?”—Interview (1979) with Dylan Taite in Aotearoa, New Zealand.
“As a man sow, shall he reap. and I know that talk is cheap. But the heat of the battle is as sweet as the victory.”
“Babylon is everywhere. You have wrong and you have right. Wrong is what we call Babylon, wrong things. That is what Babylon is to me. I could have born in England, I could have born in America, it make no difference where me born, because there is Babylon everywhere.”
“Better to die fighting for freedom than be a prisoner all the days of your life.”
“Don’t trust people whose feelings change with time. Trust people whose feelings remain the same, even when the time changes.”
“Every day the bucket a-go a well, one day the bottom a-go drop out.”—I Shot The Sheriff, from the album Burnin’ (1973)
“Every time I plant a seed, He say kill it before it grow, he say kill it before they grow.”
“Everything is political. I will never be a politician or even think political. Me just deal with life and nature. That is the greatest thing to me.”
“Have no fear for atomic energy, ’cause none of them can stop the time.”
“I don’t know how to live good. I only know how to suffer.”
“I’ve been here before and will come again, but I’m not going this trip through.”
“If you’re white and you’re wrong, then you’re wrong; if you’re black and you’re wrong, you’re wrong. People are people. Black, blue, pink, green – God make no rules about color; only society make rules where my people suffer, and that why we must have redemption and redemption now.”
“Live for yourself and you will live in vain; live for others, and you will live again.”
“Love the life you live, live the life you love.”
“Me only have one ambition, y’know. I only have one thing I really like to see happen. I like to see mankind live together – black, white, Chinese, everyone – that’s all.”
“My feet is my only carriage.”
“My future is righteousness.”
“Put your vision to reality.”
“Rastafari not a culture, it’s a reality.”
“Road of life is rocky and you may stumble too, so while you talk about me, someone else is judging you.”
“The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?”
“They say: only the fittest of the fittest shall survive, stay alive!” —Could You Be Loved, from the album Uprising (1979)
“Though the road’s been rocky it sure feels good to me.”
“Truth is the light, so you never give up the fight.”—Final jamming of Live at the Roxy (recorded 1976).
“When one door is closed, many more is open.” —Coming in from the Cold, from the album Confrontation
“When the race gets hard to run. It means you just can’t take the peace.”
“When the root is strong, the fruit is sweet.”
“You can’t find the right roads when the streets are paved.”
“You entertain people who are satisfied. Hungry people can’t be entertained – or people who are afraid. You can’t entertain a man who has no food.”
Bob Marley quotes on love
“Live the life you love. Love the life you live.”
“Live the life you love. Love the life you live.” – Bob Marley
“And don’t expect more than she can give. Smile when she makes you happy, let her know when she makes you mad, and miss her when she’s not there.”
“Conquer the devils with a little thing called love.”

Re: Bob Marley: Legend Forever by LionDeLeo: 6:43am On Jun 21, 2017
Is today his "death day"?
Re: Bob Marley: Legend Forever by badguyleke(m): 6:51am On Jun 21, 2017
LionDeLeo:
Is today his "death day"?
no bro. he's a legend worth celebrating every day
Re: Bob Marley: Legend Forever by LionDeLeo: 7:01am On Jun 21, 2017
badguyleke:

no bro. he's a legend worth celebrating every day

Okay.
Re: Bob Marley: Legend Forever by badguyleke(m): 11:19pm On Feb 07, 2018
Live forever legend!

(1) (Reply)

Couple Portrait Painting By Lagos Artist Ayeola Ayodeji / Ini Edo And Joke Silva Dazzle In Grecian Themed Photoshoot / This Should Be The New Cabin Biscuit Cover – Wizkid Shade His Own Artwork Posted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.