Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

Uche Jumbo: I Paid My Way Through School With Acting Scholarship - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Uche Jumbo: I Paid My Way Through School With Acting Scholarship (1058 Views)

Davido: I Paid N80m To Feature Meek Mill / Uche Jumbo And Her Son (nice Photo) / Uche Jumbo Vs Jakkie Appiah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uche Jumbo: I Paid My Way Through School With Acting Scholarship by mamagee3(f): 2:12am On Jan 26, 2010
Uche Jombo rings plenty of bells. That name also identifies one of the most dazzling faces that have graced the Nigerian and African screens in the last 10 years.

Born in Enugu but raised in Aba, Uche, the third in a family of nine children, is from Abiriba in Abia State.

She might have at some point said she got into acting by accident, but many will find that hard to believe knowing fully well what she has been able to achieve during her teenage days in Aba.

“My journey into the world of acting started because I was in the right place at the right time. I had gone to Fidelis Duker’s office to drop a letter and he was about to take off on a soap opera production titled Images, which he later turned into a home video, when he pushed a script to me and asked me to read for him.

“I objected at first telling him that I was in his office for another mission and he asked, can’t you act?’ I said, ‘no, I can act.’ He said that’s what everybody says but I told him I could act. He then asked me how I knew I could act. I told him of how three years of my secondary school was paid for by an acting scholarship,” Uche stated.

Explaining her first contact with the make-believe world, Uche further said, “In the United Church of Christ where I belonged, we had this drama group called Children of God, which was meant for children in their teenage troubling years. I became a member because during my teenage years, I was a tomboy and my mother didn’t like the idea so to keep me off the streets, off climbing trees and playing football with the boys, she had to register me in that drama group.

“So, after school hours, instead of playing football, I went to church to act. It was during my days in the drama group that I won the best student in drama in a row for three years. The best student in drama is given a scholarship for one year making it something to look forward to. And that was how I began my career in Nollywood.”

Speaking on her multimillion-naira movie, which is still being shot and directed by the duo of Desmond Elliot, Emem Isong, Uche said, “I don’t want to speak so much about the flick because we are still in the working stages but I can tell you that Nigerians should be ready for something big. The flick, which would be known as Holding Hopes, has good hands like Desmond Elliot and Emem Isong behind the camera, while acts like Susan Peters, Rukky Sanda, Nadia Buari, Ngozi Nwosu and myself are on set. I would want to keep it tight until we are through,” she said.

This actress also doubles as a writer and though she would have wanted to be a show host, said her fulfilment is that she still remains in the front of the camera with her acting career.

“I’ve worked hard for where I am and I should enjoy the work. I’ve always enjoyed what I do. Even now, I still write despite my busy schedule and that is because I enjoy what I do. Sometimes, it’s not really like you’re working. It’s a way of life for me.

“When I was the drama queen of Children of God, I never thought that I’d end up an actress. I used to think I’d be a talk show host, have my TV show, interview people, especially celebrities. This was why I grabbed the opportunity of the MMS presentation job when it came. That was what I dreamt of growing up to do, not acting but because I was getting too busy going to locations, I had to rest it. It was a live programme and I wasn’t on locations mostly in Lagos so it was kind of difficult. It was difficult keeping a live show every Sunday.”

The computer science postgraduate alumnus of the Federal University of Technology (FUT), Minna in Niger State, who also had her first degree in statistics at the University of Calabar (UNICAL), has a knack for the round leather game. The Manchester United fan said aside watching films, she enjoys watching the game of football a lot.

“I also watch films a lot. I go to Silverbird to watch films and I also enjoy football. I like it a lot and I’m a Manchester United fan,” she stated.
Re: Uche Jumbo: I Paid My Way Through School With Acting Scholarship by SeanT21(f): 4:07am On Jan 26, 2010
She's not even that good of an actress. She is always playing the friend to the main character. Plus, she can not dress.
Re: Uche Jumbo: I Paid My Way Through School With Acting Scholarship by shilling(f): 9:11pm On Feb 02, 2010
SeanT21:

[b]She's not even that good of an actress. She is always playing the friend to the main character. Plus, she can not dress.[/b]
Yep!!
Re: Uche Jumbo: I Paid My Way Through School With Acting Scholarship by spikedcylinder: 10:44pm On Feb 02, 2010
Source?

(1) (Reply)

Beyonce Does Magic! / Kate looks like alicia keys / Space 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.