Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

10 Hidden Facts About The Bible - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible (3248 Views)

O A U Professor Gives Shocking Facts About 5G / FUTA Quoted Bible Verse In Exam Question (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by hardewaih(m): 8:07am On Jun 23, 2017
These are list of things You don't know about the Bible. Keep reading.......
1. Jesus wasn’t really a carpenter.
The Greek word used occasionally to describe Jesus’ profession is tekton, which means something closer to a generic term for “craftsman.” Jesus could’ve built ships, made ploughs or did some sort of plumbing work.

2. Jonah wasn’t eaten by a whale.
The Bible says only that he was swallowed by a “large fish.” (Whales, of course, are mammals.

3. Judas betrayed Jesus for the equivalent of four months’ pay today.
Matthew 26 states that Judas sold Jesus for “thirty pieces of silver.” Assuming these are the standard coins worth four drachmas each, the total would add up to about $6,000 today, that's about a whopping 2.3 million naira.
Keep reading from here
http://masterlanders..com.ng/2017/06/10-things-you-dont-probably-know-about.html?m=1
Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by Kayhummer(m): 8:11am On Jun 23, 2017
Interesting
Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by jubsonstone(m): 8:43am On Jun 23, 2017
Good One[color=#000099][/color][i][/i]
Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by iceboy4752(m): 9:17am On Jun 23, 2017
Some books are missing from the Bible like the Book of Nathan the Prophet, Gad the Seer and others.(1 Chronicles 29:29).
Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by ammyluv2002(f): 12:46pm On Jun 23, 2017
But Jesus was never a carpenter now! He only helped His father who was a carpenter.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by NairalandCS(m): 1:27pm On Jun 23, 2017
Hidden facts ? Na wa.
Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by Bahddo(m): 1:54pm On Jun 23, 2017
Lol. You think Jonah would know that a whale is a mammal and not a fish?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by Alexbrain(m): 8:12pm On Jun 23, 2017
The Greek word used occasionally to describe Jesus’ profession is
tekton , which means something closer to a generic term for “craftsman.” Jesus could’ve built ships, made ploughs or did some sort of plumbing work. Here’s more on how the carpenter tradition developed.
(Re: In the common Painting of Jesus Christ and Joseph working side by side, he also probably didn’t wear a modern kippah and look like Zac Efron.
2. Jonah wasn’t eaten by a whale .
The Bible says only that he was swallowed by a “large fish.” (Whales, of course, are mammals.
Matthew 26 states that Judas sold Jesus for “thirty pieces of silver.” Assuming these are the standard coins worth four drachmas each, the total would add up to about $6,000 today, that's about a whopping 2.3 million naira.
4. Hell in terms of “fire and brimstone and eternal damnation of souls” isn’t precisely mentioned in the Bible. Most of those images originate from medieval works like Dante’s.
The concept of an underworld in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament is limited to sheol, which is described only as a place of darkness where all people, righteous and unrighteous, go after death.
In the New Testament, the destiny of the wicked is Gehenna , a different place altogether of sheol. Gehenna was literally the location of a trash dump in the Valley of Hinnom outside Jersualem. Later, the book of Revelation refers to a “lake of fire.” Some Christians interpret Jesus’ use of gehenna as a symbol for a place of eternal condemnation of the soul. The KJV translates both sheol and gehenna as hell.
5. In the book of Genesis , Methuselah lives to be 969 years old.
A lot of people in the Old Testament lived ridiculously long lives: Noah is described as living to be 950, Adam (as in THE Adam) dies at about 930 , and Abraham lived to 175.
People who favor a more literal reading of the Bible argue that this was actually possible, due to antediluvian Earth having a healthier atmosphere and less diluted gene pool, unlike today in which the whole atmosphere is far contaminated.
6. Some books of the Bible mention unicorns .
The Hebrew word reym is often now translated as “wild ox,” but in the 1611 King James Bible it appeared in English as “unicorn.” Reym was first translated into Greek as monokeros, which means “one horn.”
Some people think the word reym actually refers to rhinoceri.
7. Most scholars believe Paul didn’t write many of the books that claim to be authored by him.
A majority of biblical scholars agree Paul that didn’t actually write Ephesians, Colossians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy or the Pastoral Epistles (Timothy and Titus.) Romans, Galatians, 1 & 2 Corinthians, 1 Thessalonians, Philippians, and Philemon are considered to be authentically Pauline. (The practice of writing letters in someone else’s name was a common practice in antiquity, particularly within the Hebrew Bible tradition.
8.Solomon had 700 wives, 300 concubines, and 12,000 horses.
9. In the Bible, Adam was not banished from Eden for eating the fruit of knowledge. Instead, he is banished in case he eats the fruit of another forbidden tree, which will make him immortal.
10. Don't forget to share this with your friends and family
Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by Skinnienigga(m): 1:07am On Jun 24, 2017
Hollup..hollup!

Wait... so you mean to tell me that there was 'tree of immortality' in eden and Anty Eve went to eat the one that will open her eyes to see Adam's unclothedness shocked shocked ?? Chai!!!!

Girls sha...smh!

Alexbrain:
The Greek word used occasionally to describe Jesus’ profession is
tekton , which means something closer to a generic term for “craftsman.” Jesus could’ve built ships, made ploughs or did some sort of plumbing work. Here’s more on how the carpenter tradition developed.
(Re: In the common Painting of Jesus Christ and Joseph working side by side, he also probably didn’t wear a modern kippah and look like Zac Efron.
2. Jonah wasn’t eaten by a whale .
4. Hell in terms of “fire and brimstone and eternal damnation of souls” isn’t precisely mentioned in the Bible. Most of those images originate from medieval works like Dante’s.
The concept of an underworld in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament is limited to sheol, which is described only as a place of darkness where all people, righteous and unrighteous, go after death.
In the New Testament, the destiny of the wicked is Gehenna , a different place altogether of sheol. Gehenna was literally the location of a trash dump in the Valley of Hinnom outside Jersualem. Later, the book of Revelation refers to a “lake of fire.” Some Christians interpret Jesus’ use of gehenna as a symbol for a place of eternal condemnation of the soul. The KJV translates both sheol and gehenna as hell.
5. In the book of Genesis , Methuselah lives to be 969 years old.
A lot of people in the Old Testament lived ridiculously long lives: Noah is described as living to be 950, Adam (as in THE Adam) dies at about 930 , and Abraham lived to 175.
People who favor a more literal reading of the Bible argue that this was actually possible, due to antediluvian Earth having a healthier atmosphere and less diluted gene pool, unlike today in which the whole atmosphere is far contaminated.
6. Some books of the Bible mention unicorns .
The Hebrew word reym is often now translated as “wild ox,” but in the 1611 King James Bible it appeared in English as “unicorn.” Reym was first translated into Greek as monokeros, which means “one horn.”
Some people think the word reym actually refers to rhinoceri.
7. Most scholars believe Paul didn’t write many of the books that claim to be authored by him.
A majority of biblical scholars agree Paul that didn’t actually write Ephesians, Colossians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy or the Pastoral Epistles (Timothy and Titus.) Romans, Galatians, 1 & 2 Corinthians, 1 Thessalonians, Philippians, and Philemon are considered to be authentically Pauline. (The practice of writing letters in someone else’s name was a common practice in antiquity, particularly within the Hebrew Bible tradition.
8.Solomon had 700 wives, 300 concubines, and 12,000 horses.
9. In the Bible, Adam was not banished from Eden for eating the fruit of knowledge. Instead, he is banished in case he eats the fruit of another forbidden tree, which will make him immortal.
10. Don't forget to share this with your friends and family

1 Like

Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by Advans(m): 3:02am On Jun 24, 2017
11. From Genesis to revelation, Jesus never said I AM GOD or WORSHIP ME. He always refer to Almighty God who sent him.

12. The Bible is a story book, a collection of reported events (God's commandments, wprds of prophets, ordinary letters e.t.c) written by known & unidentified people
Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by judgedredd22(m): 4:50am On Jun 24, 2017
i am not really crazy about the bible, but this thread is actually a list of the stupidest thing anyone has ever come up with. because there's a lot of mumbo-jumbo doesn't mean any of it is sensible simply due to the fact that whoever compiled this crap was not there. imagine suggesting something like plumbing as at 2,500 years ago... are you deaf in the brain? sad

1 Like

Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by laribari(m): 5:55am On Jun 24, 2017
Advans:
11. From Genesis to revelation, Jesus never said I AM GOD or WORSHIP ME. He always refer to Almighty God who sent him.

12. The Bible is a story book, a collection of reported events (God's commandments, wprds of prophets, ordinary letters e.t.c) written by known & unidentified people

You don't know what you are saying. Your pastor should be jailed.

John 10:30 I and my Father are one.. (that's comparing Himself to God and declaring that He also is God). Why do you think the pharisees and even Muslims argues that He is not the son of God. If you are a son of God, then you are God.

John 17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

John 14:8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

14:14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
. Jesus spoke directly as God here (for doubters who said He wasn't the one doing the works). A certain times, christ spoke as the father but why HE kept telling us about a father in heaven is for us to be aware of a higher authority up there. Awareness-consciousness!!

14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Jesus speaks in the position of the trinity becos they they one.

Do you think God is a name? NO!!!

God or god is an office of power where anyone can operate from. Is sango not a god? Is amadioha not a god? Even these small gods (demons) all have names. So what is the name of God almighty being that to be called God is not a name. HIS name is JESUS!!

Let me prove it to you.

1. The bible says God gave HIM a more excellent name called Jesus. That at that name all knees MUST bow but in heaven, under the earth and on earth. So if Jesus and God aren't equal then God will also bow to Jesus becos it says all knees and not some.

2. Jesus said whatever you ask the father in my name, HE will do for you. So it means you can come to the father and address HIM as Jesus. So you can address God the Father as Jesus in terms of personality.

3. Jesus said the father will send a comforter in my name and that speaks of the holy ghost who is coming in Jesus name, so you can address the spirit as Jesus in terms of personality.

LET ME NAIL IT FINALLY FOR YOU HERE.....

1. John 17:1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

17:2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

17:6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

17:8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me. (If Jesus is a prophet as Muslims claim, does it mean HE is a lying prophet)? grin

Jesus said it on the cross that HE was with God before creation and what does that tell you?

Also, HE said HE has manifested God's name to the world in verse 6. So now ask yourself! What name was manifested? Isn't it that name JESUS? Abi is God a name? No! God is not a name, yet Jesus says He has manifested the father's name and that is also His own name becos HE has manifested Himself to the world.

Jesus and the father are one! They are called Jesus the father, Jesus-Christ the son (the saviour) and Jesus th holy spirit.

There is plenty more to prove but let me stop here. I can take your questions.

The bible is not a fairytale as you suggested, instead it's a prophetic book. The words are spirit and life. Jesus is the word of God or do you want me to show you where Jesus Himself confirmed that?

So if you say the bible is a story book, then you suggest that Jesus is a joke.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by Didov1(f): 7:01am On Jun 24, 2017
@laribari...God bless u brother..i was abt replying him bt u saved me d stress,cox no matter ow u try 2 xplain u dem,dey wil stil nt bliv u...deir mind r already made..
Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by Crownskay: 7:56am On Jun 24, 2017
laribari:

John 10:30 I and my Father are one.. (that's comparing Himself to God and declaring that He also is God). Why do you think the pharisees and even Muslims argues that He is not the son of God. If you are a son of God, then you are God.

John 17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

. Jesus spoke directly as God here (for doubters who said He wasn't the one doing the works). A certain times, christ spoke as the father but why HE kept telling us about a father in heaven is for us to be aware of a higher authority up there. Awareness-consciousness!!

14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

God or god is an office of power where anyone can operate from. Is sango not a god? Is amadioha not a god? Even these small gods (demons) all have names. So what is the name of God almighty being that to be called God is not a name. HIS name is JESUS!!

Let me prove it to you.

1. The bible says God gave HIM a more excellent name called Jesus. That at that name all knees MUST bow but in heaven, under the earth and on earth. So if Jesus and God aren't equal then God will also bow to Jesus becos it says all knees and not some.

2. Jesus said whatever you ask the father in my name, HE will do for you. So it means you can come to the father and address HIM as Jesus. So you can address God the Father as Jesus in terms of personality.

3. Jesus said the father will send a comforter in my name and that speaks of the holy ghost who is coming in Jesus name, so you can address the spirit as Jesus in terms of personality.

1. John 17:1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

17:2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

17:6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

17:8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me. (If Jesus is a prophet as Muslims claim, does it mean HE is a lying prophet)? grin

Jesus said it on the cross that HE was with God before creation and what does that tell you?

Also, HE said HE has manifested God's name to the world in verse 6. So now ask yourself! What name was manifested? Isn't it that name JESUS? Abi is God a name? No! God is not a name, yet Jesus says He has manifested the father's name and that is also His own name becos HE has manifested Himself to the world.

Jesus and the father are one! They are called Jesus the father, Jesus-Christ the son (the saviour) and Jesus th holy spirit.

The bible is not a fairytale as you suggested, instead it's a prophetic book. The words are spirit and life. Jesus is the word of God or do you want me to show you where Jesus Himself confirmed that?

Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by irynterri(f): 9:47am On Jun 24, 2017
Bahddo:
Lol. You think Jonah would know that a whale is a mammal and not a fish?
God bless you my dear, how many Nigerians in this 21st century are aware that a whale is a mammal.
Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by irynterri(f): 9:58am On Jun 24, 2017
laribari:

Let me prove it to you.

you forgot to add the ultimate, John 1:1-5,In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.He was in the beginning with God,all things were made through Him, and without Him was not anything made that was not made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. Vs 14 and the Word became flesh and dwelt amongst us, full of grace and truth, we have beheld his Glory, glory as of the Only Son from the Father.
Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by do4luv14(m): 10:46am On Jun 24, 2017
ammyluv2002:
But Jesus was never a carpenter now! He only helped His father who was a carpenter.

help tell am ooo
Re: 10 Hidden Facts About The Bible by Advans(m): 6:46am On Sep 06, 2017
Is Jesus son of God or God himself?

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Defence Academy 2019/2020 Application Form For 71st Regular Course Is O / Place You Won't Believe It Exists In Nigeria / I Need A Project Topic In Economics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.