Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

Why I Share My Crown With My Wife – Oba Akanbi - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why I Share My Crown With My Wife – Oba Akanbi (658 Views)

Photos Ooni Of Ife Before The Crown With His beautiful Daughter / I Don’t Understand Why People Still Eat Isi Ewu - Oluwo Oba Akanbi / Oluwo Of Iwo, Oba Akanbi And His Lamborghini In New Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Share My Crown With My Wife – Oba Akanbi by phosky(m): 9:40am On Jun 24, 2017
WHY I SHARE MY CROWN WITH MY WIFE – OBA AKANBI
source: http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2017/06/why-i-share-my-crown-with-my-wife-oba.html

The Oluwo of Iwoland, Oba Abdulrasheed Adewale Akanbi, has given reasons why he puts the kingship crown of his land on his wife, an action many do not see as part of Yoruba culture.
Oba Akanbi is the only Yoruba Oba known to share the crown with his wife.
And people say it is a desecration of the tradition.
But speaking with Sun, the young monarch claimed he was functioning according to God’s revelations.
He explained, “I’m saying I was sent by God to make things right in what is called kingship and leadership and to show how the past, our history, was.
“My wife and I wanted to honour an event. It’s a great event. And that day when we were about to go, it was revealed to me: ‘Look at your side’ and I looked at my side and saw my wife.
“And it was said: ‘Look at her head; find a crown that you are not wearing and wear on her head the crown.
“That was how I gave her the crown. When God reveals something, I can’t refuse, I just have to do it, the same way Abraham was told to take his son, when he was already over 100 years old.
“Yes and also when I put the crown, God revealed to me that our progenitor normally crowned his own wife.”

Re: Why I Share My Crown With My Wife – Oba Akanbi by Chikelue2000(m): 9:50am On Jun 24, 2017
Wetin concern me
Re: Why I Share My Crown With My Wife – Oba Akanbi by MetaPhysical: 7:47am On Jun 25, 2017
She is wearing a coronet, a non-sacred crown. The coronet is what is placed on heads of Erelus or Princesses on the throne in the interim of settling on a successor to a deceased Oba. A king may also place the coronet on head of a heir-prince for blessings, as was the case when Oba Akinsemoyin sat his crown on head of little Ologun Kutere and signalled beginning of a new dynasty.

Yoruba traditional crowns (sacred) are of two, or perharps more, but I am conversant with two and the perched birds are common to both.

1 - beaded
2 - non beaded.

Beside these two there are special crowns, worn only for certain rituals, for instance the Aare Crown.

1 Like

Re: Why I Share My Crown With My Wife – Oba Akanbi by Olu317(m): 1:06pm On Jun 25, 2017
MetaPhysical:
She is wearing a coronet, a non-sacred crown. The coronet is what is placed on heads of Erelus or Princesses on the throne in the interim of settling on a successor to a deceased Oba. A king may also place the coronet on head of a heir-prince for blessings, as was the case when Oba Akinsemoyin sat his crown on head of little Ologun Kutere and signalled beginning of a new dynasty.

Yoruba traditional crowns (sacred) are of two, or perharps more, but I am conversant with two and the perched birds are common to both.

1 - beaded
2 - non beaded.

Beside these two there are special crowns, worn only for certain rituals, for instance the Aare Crown.
Do you really think, this Oluiwo is justifying this great exalted position, he occupies with all these controversies around him? So, disheartening seeing all the negative impression, he is adorning Yoruba heritage with his “funkify " style, that are not part of Yoruba's king's characteristics. Reading some piece about him at times make me feel moody.
Re: Why I Share My Crown With My Wife – Oba Akanbi by Olu317(m): 1:07pm On Jun 25, 2017
MetaPhysical:

1 - beaded
2 - non beaded.

Do you really think, this Oluiwo is justifying this great exalted position, he occupies with all these controversies around him? So, disheartening seeing all the negative impression, he is adorning Yoruba heritage with his “funkify " style, that are not part of Yoruba's king's characteristics. Reading some piece about him at times make me feel moody.

Greetings

(1) (Reply)

Biafara / Http://www.lucidremark.com/2017/10/merry-christmas-wishes-text.html / 21 New Ibadan Kings Threaten To Dethrone Olubadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.