Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,590 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu (3892 Views)

Bayern's Medical Team Quit After Guardiola Blame Them For Loss To Porto / Nigeria Vs Zambia: CAF Under-17 Championship (3 - 1) On 21st February 2015 / 2013 AFCON: Nigeria To Play Zambia, Ethiopia and Burkina Faso (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by mojojojo(m): 5:18am On Jan 27, 2010
Amodu

Eagles and the Pharaohs' defeat

At the beginning of this competition, we started brilliantly against Egypt and scored early in the game. We were carried away by our ability to control the game easily. We would have killed off the game if we had scored more goals when the Egyptians respected us. But we allowed them to come back into the game and let victory slip from our hands.

It was our heaviest defeat in 13 matches and we were left with the task of raising the players‘ morale from the defeat and prepare them for the other matches. Thank God we won the other matches to reach the quarterfinals.

The Zambian test

After reaching the quarterfinals, there were conflicting reports on who our next opponents would be. We thought it was going to be Cameroun and the players were happy because they thought they were going to avenge past defeats. The mood in the camp however changed when Zambia was eventually announced by CAF as our opponents.

My players relaxed and it was obvious in their character. I sensed danger and called them to a meeting to remind them that Zambia could knock us out of the competition. I told them that the team was one of the best in the tournament and that they played beautiful football. Perhaps they thought I was only raising a fear that did not exist, but on the day of the match, we laboured to curtail the Zambians.

They made it difficult for us with their brand of football. I forewarned the Eagles but they did not listen and that was why we could not kill off the game early. Derby against Ghana

The semifinal match against Ghana will look like the quarterfinal match against Zambia. Black Stars and the Chipolopolo have young players who can move the ball well. They can run very well too. Unlike Nigeria, the pressure is not on them.

When the coach left Ghana, he told the people that he would like to experiment with the young boys since the big stars are out of the team due to injury.

That action alone was enough for the Ghanaians to assume that the team might not go far. They are now in the semifinals so what else do they have to prove?

They will come out to play their game, knowing well that they have already done well and have nothing to lose.

Yobo is back from England and could be ready to play if he is fit enough. Onyekachi Apam is out due to his red card but the bench is rich enough to produce a replacement.

When we left Nigeria, it was difficult for us to explain how we chose the players in the camp for the Nations Cup. We took our time to preview the tournament and that is why we have these players in camp. Obinna Nwaneri is good in Apam‘s position if Yobo is not going to be fit and Yusuf Ayila did well when he filled the position after Apam‘s red card. We also have Seyi olofinjana who is tall and strong and can play in any position.

On Aiyegbeni

So many people have questioned the inclusion of Yakubu Aiyegbeni in the team that played against Mozambique and Zambia. Some said he did little to support the team.

Yakubu is a goal scorer but he is just coming out of a major injury setback that wrecked his performance last season. People accused me that he is my player and that is why I always include him in the team. There is nothing wrong in a coach having a favourite player and I think Yakubu deserves to be forgiven for what he is going through now.

The plan to stop me

This is a matter I would have kept to myself but if I fail against Ghana, Nigerians may not be able to know why.

The plans by the Presidential Task Force to hire a foreign coach for the Super Eagles came to me as a rumour because I only read them in newspapers. Reports said some of them tagged the players as bad investments, too old, unfit, unpatriotic and that the team should be disbanded. But much as the reports were doing the rounds, no one refuted the stories. The Director-General on the National Sports Commission Patrick Ekeji was quoted to have said that the Nations Cup would decide my fate.

The disappointing aspect is that I was at a meeting where they told me point blank that Nigeria needed a foreign coach and that we should look for one to hire.

I was shocked because this was coming in the middle of a big competition. I should have been the one to ask for an assistant and if I needed one, why not a Nigerian. Stephen Keshi is doing well in Mali, Austin Eguavoen has been with the national team before as coach and Samson Siasia is a good coach, why not choose one of them to beef up the coaching crew. Is there anything wrong with a black coach?

After delivering on the mandate of a semifinal appearance, I would have walked out on the team and told them to look for a foreign coach to finish the job. Is there a coach that will continue working after hearing that no matter what he does that he will be replaced?

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201001271273292
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by ayusman16(m): 7:45am On Jan 27, 2010
I feel for Amodu but damn, he should be replaced. The entire Super Fowls should be disbanded.
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by deb(m): 1:46pm On Jan 27, 2010
Hilarious responses.

I think everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and should not be attacked.
Just state your own, let me state my own. God no vex
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by hollandis(f): 2:53pm On Jan 27, 2010
Amodu should be sacked whether he wins the cup or not.
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by Sagamite(m): 3:32pm On Jan 27, 2010
ayusman16:

I feel for Amodu but damn, he should be replaced. The entire Super Fowls should be disbanded.

You would fit the bill as a typical Nigerian minister.

Visionless . Unqualified . Incompetent

1 Like

Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by ochukoccna: 4:24pm On Jan 27, 2010
ayusman16:

No. Na your father own i bin borrow. Mumu
LMAO! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by otondo55: 4:27pm On Jan 27, 2010
SACK HIM NOW, OR

SACK ALL THE PLAYERS TOO

BRING NEW BOYZ !

Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by tkb417(m): 4:28pm On Jan 27, 2010
The semifinal match against Ghana will look like the quarterfinal match against Zambia. Black Stars and the Chipolopolo have young players who can move the ball well. They can run very well too. Unlike Nigeria, the pressure is not on them.
hahahahaha
so he feels the players will not be motivated to play the blackstars too grin grin
hilarious; i honestly think Amodu should resign

he cannot even be sensible again grin
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by opokonwa(m): 4:31pm On Jan 27, 2010
Well Amodu may be pitied for the pressures on him and his inability to impress Nigeria.
But let's be frank, his Super Eagles are far from impressive. How long can a team ride the wind of luck?

Expose the current Super Eagles to top world teams and you will understand why Benin Republic, Mozambique and Zambiqa are no tests
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by RBiafra: 4:33pm On Jan 27, 2010
if you give ur heart to se on tomorrow's match, then you will be disappointed
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by Smi1(m): 4:38pm On Jan 27, 2010
na waooo, naija stories dey always make laffffffff, anyway as a matter of fact i don't see amodu as a bad coach but he lacks experience also he should try and let the unfit players to rest while the available onces can take over and produce us a better result. i believe we are going to do well in the world cup
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by ddiamond(f): 4:40pm On Jan 27, 2010
all the best amodu

tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by chibobo121: 4:44pm On Jan 27, 2010
you think we wuld be sympathetic by dis ur cacofuny. a serious coach selects his squad without fear or favor if he realy want to perform. but u want us to belive dat u have a favoryt player whethr he is a dead walking ghost, u hav a evry ryt to feature him.

dear mr. amodu, its beter 4 u to take the path of honur, take the job of coaching primary schul pupils and dont wait til u re disgraced.

Yours sincerly
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by Seun(m): 4:47pm On Jan 27, 2010
These wishy-washy excuses for failure have only confirmed my feelings about Amodu's competence.

mojojojo:
At the beginning of this competition, we started brilliantly against Egypt and scored early in the game. We were carried away by our ability to control the game easily. We would have killed off the game if we had scored more goals when the Egyptians respected us. But we allowed them to come back into the game and let victory slip from our hands.
Victory did not "slip away" from your hands.  The Eagles conceded three goals.  After conceding the first goal you should have changed your tactics to prevent the last two goals from being scored.  That's what you're there for; you're not a helpless match commentator, you're the coach!!

It was our heaviest defeat in 13 matches and we were left with the task of raising the players‘ morale from the defeat and prepare them for the other matches. Thank God we won the other matches to reach the quarterfinals.

Yes, thank God.  Because there were no preparations, no tactics, no game plans.  You just herded the boys into the field and prayed to God to make them win.  And then you sat on the bench and hoped for the best.  That's all you've ever done, as far as we can see.

The Zambian test

After reaching the quarterfinals, there were conflicting reports on who our next opponents would be. We thought it was going to be Cameroun and the players were happy because they thought they were going to avenge past defeats. The mood in the camp however changed when Zambia was eventually announced by CAF as our opponents.

My players relaxed and it was obvious in their character. I sensed danger and called them to a meeting to remind them that Zambia could knock us out of the competition. I told them that the team was one of the best in the tournament and that they played beautiful football. Perhaps they thought I was only raising a fear that did not exist, but on the day of the match, we laboured to curtail the Zambians.

They made it difficult for us with their brand of football. I forewarned the Eagles but they did not listen and that was why we could not kill off the game early. Derby against Ghana

"My players relaxed" is the best you can come up with?   Why did you allow them to relax?  What is the coach there for if the players can just just decide to "relax" and the coach does nothing about it?  You don't think your technical or tactical decisions had anything to do with the loss?  Oh wait, you don't even know what "tactical" means.  My bad.

In other words we're going to lose, and as the coach you feel there's nothing you can do about it.
As far as Amodu is concerned, what will be will be.  It is all in the hands of God.  He has no obligation.
He does not have a winning strategy, tactics, ideas, or whatever.  He thinks his job is to hope for the best.

On Aiyegbeni
So many people have questioned the inclusion of Yakubu Aiyegbeni in the team that played against Mozambique and Zambia. Some said he did little to support the team.

Yakubu is a goal scorer but he is just coming out of a major injury setback that wrecked his performance last season. People accused me that he is my player and that is why I always include him in the team. There is nothing wrong in a coach having a favourite player and I think Yakubu deserves to be forgiven for what he is going through now.

He admits his favouritism, and he's unrepentant about it.  "Yeah I like Yakubu, so bite me".  "Yeah he's injured and hasn't fully recovered, but I like him.  Nigerian sports fans can go and jump into the sea for all I care".
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by Ibime(m): 4:50pm On Jan 27, 2010
hehehehehehe. . . . . Seun is going all out. . . . na so Amodu dey vex people reach?

Amodu claims he is competent, yet says we should forgive him for playing Yakubu who is not at his best because of injury. Olodo, if he's not at his best, why not play someone else?
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by kshow1(m): 4:51pm On Jan 27, 2010
mojojojo:

Amodu

I forewarned the Eagles but they did not listen and that was why we could not kill off the game early.

Black Stars and the Chipolopolo have young players who can move the ball well. They can run very well too.

I only read them in newspapers. Reports said some of them tagged the players as bad investments, too old, unfit, unpatriotic and that the team should be disbanded.

The disappointing aspect is that I was at a meeting where they told me point blank that Nigeria needed a foreign coach and that we should look for one to hire.

I was shocked because this was coming in the middle of a big competition. I would have walked out on the team and told them to look for a foreign coach to finish the job. Is there a coach that will continue working after hearing that no matter what he does that he will be replaced?

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201001271273292

The above statement from a coach is enough to get him sacked.
1. He forewarned his players and they don't listen to him.
2. He knew most of his players are old,unfit and unpatriotic.
3. Defending a failed player saying he just came back from a major injury setback then why field him ?
4. His he not aware that Mark Hughes was sacked in the middle of a game ?

My own opinion is that the coach should be sacked and the team disbanded whatever the outcome of these competition cos the nation will be disgraced in S/A if we continue with these team and management.
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by omar22(m): 4:54pm On Jan 27, 2010
Ooooooooooooo CRY ME A RIVER!!!!,

Can someone get the tissue paper!!!!!

I beg save your story for those who care. (Stagmite-- or whatever his name is)
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by ayo84(m): 4:55pm On Jan 27, 2010
sometimes you cant really blame nigerian coaches especially when they are handling foreign based players who don "CHOP MONEY"
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by Johnnoo(m): 4:55pm On Jan 27, 2010
ayusman16:

who the hell do u want 2replace amodu? I'm one of the people clamouring 4removal of amodu. But at a time, i had a rethink. For GOD's sake NairaLand let this man be. NFF gave him semi finals as a target, & he has delivered. we should be talking about upgrading him, pls. If he goes or stays, i've nothing to loose. . .
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by omar22(m): 5:00pm On Jan 27, 2010
sometimes you cant really blame nigerian coaches especially when they are handling foreign based players who don "CHOP MONEY"

Excuse me, ask how Capello handled Real Madrid Galatico's, asking Guti and Ronaldo to warm up 25 minutes before the game ends without coming on as a punishment
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by omar22(m): 5:01pm On Jan 27, 2010
who the hell do u want 2replace amodu? I'm one of the people clamouring 4removal of amodu. But at a time, i had a rethink. For GOD's sake NairaLand let this man be. NFF gave him semi finals as a target, & he has delivered. we should be talking about upgrading him, pls. If he goes or stays, i've nothing to loose. . .

I think Tom and Jerry would do a better job!!!
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by Wrex(m): 5:06pm On Jan 27, 2010
We gave amodu a mandate.He has delivered.I do not care how he did it,but he delivered.It doesn't matter if the players didn't play a beautiful and robust football but we are in the semi finals.The solution is not to sack amodu but to include match readers like siasia in the coaching crew.
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by toosoon(m): 5:15pm On Jan 27, 2010
the days of beautiful football is over since OKOCHA retired, what is affecting SE today is also affecting BOLTON as well as CHELSEA if Joe Cole is not available.

As far as NFF are concern AMODU has met expectation, and if he takes SE to final, he has exceeded expectation base on the objectives set by our NFF.
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by tkb417(m): 5:16pm On Jan 27, 2010
@Seun
the man has conceded defeat to Ghana already judging from tht nonsense he said

its amazing hw a coach who parades footballers like osaze, Mikel, Yakubu , martins and co will concede defeat to those blackstars boiz?

man for man, are they better? if they are not, then Amodu is the dolt!

its a no brainer, he is a recruitment error!!
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by jerry4all: 5:20pm On Jan 27, 2010
We all should leave Amodu alone and face the real culprits, NFF. Afterall, they blindly opened their eyes to select Amodu ahead of Keshi, who has done a good job at Togo and Mali, Siasia, who has proved he can play pure attacking football on the big stage and whose 2005 Flying eagles should have formed the foundation of this present team, almost same team that repeated the feat in Olympics. Let the NFF be the ones under fire
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by ayo84(m): 5:21pm On Jan 27, 2010
men capello is rich and with proper values, amoudu on the other hand is not living large in the nigerian context and he's faced with situations where he is appeased by some of his players
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by blacksta(m): 5:29pm On Jan 27, 2010
Wrex:

We gave amodu a mandate.He has delivered.I do not care how he did it,but he delivered.It doesn't matter if the players didn't play a beautiful and robust football but we are in the semi finals.The solution is not to sack amodu but to include match readers like siasia in the coaching crew.

I agree he has delivered on the sf mandate but the fear is that when they play teams in the WC with the current squad >Nigeria should expect basketball style scores against them.
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by Machine007: 5:30pm On Jan 27, 2010
Amodu has spoken well but he fails to comment on the inclusion of Kanu Nwankwo in his team.

Is he part of the coaching crew??

Essien as the team captain played with injury,

Can someone tell me what Peak is in YOU iS doing there oooooooooooo
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by jerry4all: 5:32pm On Jan 27, 2010
He's the deputy Assistant Match reader
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by Machine007: 5:43pm On Jan 27, 2010
Papilo is my idol, i would have love to see him in the coaching crew instead of occupy that space for another player.

Amodu should atleast included IK Uche as another sit down they look. he not fair enough.
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by Katsumoto: 5:48pm On Jan 27, 2010
Seun:

These wishy-washy excuses for failure have only confirmed my feelings about Amodu's competence.
Victory did not "slip away" from your hands.  The Eagles conceded three goals.  After conceding the first goal you should have changed your tactics to prevent the last two goals from being scored.  That's what you're there for; you're not a helpless match commentator, you're the coach!!

Yes, thank God.  Because there were no preparations, no tactics, no game plans.  You just herded the boys into the field and prayed to God to make them win.  And then you sat on the bench and hoped for the best.  That's all you've ever done, as far as we can see.

"My players relaxed" is the best you can come up with?   Why did you allow them to relax?  What is the coach there for if the players can just just decide to "relax" and the coach does nothing about it?  You don't think your technical or tactical decisions had anything to do with the loss?  Oh wait, you don't even know what "tactical" means.  My bad.
In other words we're going to lose, and as the coach you feel there's nothing you can do about it.
As far as Amodu is concerned, what will be will be.  It is all in the hands of God.  He has no obligation.
He does not have a winning strategy, tactics, ideas, or whatever.  He thinks his job is to hope for the best.

He admits his favouritism, and he's unrepentant about it.  "Yeah I like Yakubu, so bite me".  "Yeah he's injured and hasn't fully recovered, but I like him.  Nigerian sports fans can go and jump into the sea for all I care".

I love all your interpretations. Amodu has no clue and he proves it with this interview. Yet you have those who continue to back him. If Amodu takes our boys to the WC, Enyeama would probably develop back-ache from picking the ball from his net.
Re: I Wanted To Quit After Zambia Victory – Amodu by Justcash(m): 5:49pm On Jan 27, 2010
Amodu does not necessarily need to be sacked.
A good technical adviser and trainer needs to be employed to assist him. The TA can do the Technical job. Siasia had one in his days.
The world cup is few months away, it will be risky to employ a new coach. As expected a new coach will start experimenting to know his players.
Siasia's last assignment is a good example. Did you see how bad he performed? He didn't have enough time to build a good team.

After all said and done, Amodu has been winning. Getting results is better than playing a beautiful game. Ask Ivory coast and Spain, they will explain better.

For those calling our dear Super-Eagles, Super fowls, May the good lord rename them and their families "Cows". They are all big goats for not seeing how super the Nigerian soccer team is.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FIFA Copa Lagos 2011 Beach Soccer Tournament Starts This Friday / Tips Master Soccer Preductions / The Profile Of Some Top Nigerian Table Tennis Players,ranking And Clubs (Pics).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.