Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,929 members, 7,828,233 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

Moved Folders From C: Drive To D: Drive And The Applications Stoped Working - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Moved Folders From C: Drive To D: Drive And The Applications Stoped Working (1046 Views)

Newly Arrived 16gb Flash Drive And Original Dual USB For Blackberry & Iphones / How To Use USB Drive To Hack Any Password / How To Retrieve Your Files From FOLDERS Turned Into SHORTCUTS By VIRUS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Moved Folders From C: Drive To D: Drive And The Applications Stoped Working by ednut1(m): 10:59am On Jan 27, 2010
Pls help am using acer aspire 5315. In other to free some space i moved some folder to the d: drive and the applications like acer manager, acer dvd, real player, itunes ,etc stopped working . Wat can i do
Re: Moved Folders From C: Drive To D: Drive And The Applications Stoped Working by AKO1(m): 12:07pm On Jan 27, 2010
The shortcuts on your desktop, start menu, etc are by default routed to the C:\Program Files\'xyz' folder. So the the applications are still intact.

What you can do is to go to the program folders of each of the apps in your D drive, look for the .exe file and 'create shortcut' wherever you like. There must be a way of rerouting the old shortcuts to the new locations but I can't figure it out now.

I'd also suggest that you move large files off your C to free up space, instead of moving program folders. Moving sensitive program folders could be catastrophic if you're not careful.
Re: Moved Folders From C: Drive To D: Drive And The Applications Stoped Working by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jan 27, 2010
it is almost always a bad idea to move your program files folder

a large number of applications have their paths set in the regsitry, or in ini files. moving them will cause them to stop working.

determining which apps will run if moved is a case by case basis

and that dos not take the shorcut issue into account - though windows has a 'comprehensive search for broken shorcuts that usually fixes shortcut issues - as long a its just a drive letter

what you need to do is move your documents - music, movies etc to the d drive

move your program files back

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Convert My Docs To Pdf - Any Site To Download / How To Funds My Liberty Reseave Account? Help! / I Wish To Buy A Modem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.