Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,912 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

Paracetamol Overdose: 6 Signs And Symptoms You Must Not Ignore! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Paracetamol Overdose: 6 Signs And Symptoms You Must Not Ignore! (528 Views)

Nigerians Use Paracetamol To Cook Meat: Concern As More People Use It / Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! / 4 Male Breast Cancer Symptoms You Should Never Ignore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paracetamol Overdose: 6 Signs And Symptoms You Must Not Ignore! by Damian2016: 8:42am On Jun 26, 2017
Abridged version of original post.

Paracetamol overdose or toxicity results when a person, child or adult, takes more than the maximum allowable dose over a 24-hour period. This can happen by accident (especially in children) or it can be deliberately taken in a case of suicide. Whether intentional or accidental, any ingestion of paracetamol in excess of 10g (which is equivalent to 20 of its 500mg tablets) within 24 hours can prove potentially fatal.

Death from it depends on age (less common in children because of the capacity of their liver to mop up the toxic metabolite than in adults), health (more common in people who already have liver disease or are very sick and living with HIV/AIDS) and whether or not the paracetamol was taking in conjunction with other substances containing high amounts of its active ingredient.

With that said, what then are the common signs and symptoms, that when present after excessive paracetamol ingestion, must alert one of the possibility a toxic paracetamol overdose?

Usually, within the first 24 hours, there are basically no noticeable symptoms. However, after 24 hours, signs and symptoms start manifesting and get progressively severe. Below are the 6 signs and symptoms that must never be ignored:

#1. NAUSEA AND VOMITING: this is usually the first symptom noticed. The patient becomes nauseous and may eventually start vomiting. While it is possible for nausea and vomiting to occur within the first 24 hours of ingestion, especially if the overdose is very high, it becomes more pronounced just after 24 hours.

#2. RIGHT UPPER QUADRANT ABDOMINAL PAIN: medically, it is referred to as tender hepatomegaly. This means that the liver becomes enlarged, tender and painful. It is the result of progressive liver damage caused by the build up of the toxic metabolite, N-acetyl p-benzoquinone imine (NAPQI).

#3. JAUNDICE: jaundice (which is the yellowish discolouration of the skin and eyes) eventually manifests following severe damage of the liver. The damaged liver is unable to break down bilirubin and excrete it, so the bilirubin builds up in the body.

#4. HEPATIC FLAP: also known as asterixis, this is a sign that indicates very severe liver damage. It can be elicited by asking the patient to stand and outstrech his or her hands as if they are pushing against a wall. If there is hepatic flap, the hands would start jerking and flapping like the wings of a bird.

#5. CONFUSION AND DISORIENTATION: this happens because of the build up of bilirubin in the body. The toxic bilirubin gets to the brain and causes a condition called encephalopathy which is characterized by confusion and disorientation. This is also a very bad symptom. Its presence suggests very severe liver damage or possibly a liver failure.

#6. OLIGURIA (LOW URINE VOLUME): oliguria is the passage of extremely and abnormally low volume of urine. The funny thing about paracetamol overdose is that it does not only damage the liver, it also damages the kidney and can in fact cause a corresponding kidney failure. Even though this symptom is usually identified under a doctor's supervision, you can also be alerted to the possibility of a kidney injury if after overdosing on paracetamol you notice a significant reduction I'm your urine volume for which there is no other explicable reason to it.

NB: very often, the above symptoms can be caused by other medical conditions apart from paracetamol overdose. But for paracetamol to be suspected, there must a history of ingestion of the drug over the last 24 hours before the manifestation of symptoms.

Also read:
5 THINGS TO DO WHEN A PERSON OVERDOSES ON PARACETAMOL https://doctorshub.com.ng/2017/06/22/5-things-to-do-when-a-person-overdoses-on-paracetamol/

https://doctorshub.com.ng/2017/06/22/paracetamol-overdose-6-signs-and-symptoms-you-must-ignore/
Re: Paracetamol Overdose: 6 Signs And Symptoms You Must Not Ignore! by Nobody: 8:58am On Jun 26, 2017
that drug can't treat headache but can only help for menstrual pain. am talking from experience.
Re: Paracetamol Overdose: 6 Signs And Symptoms You Must Not Ignore! by Damian2016: 9:08am On Jun 26, 2017
nkowalo:
that drug can't treat headache but can only help for menstrual pain. am talking from experience.
Well, that would depend on whether or not the headache is a normal headache caused by stress or a cold or whether it something more sinister like a brain tumor for example. And you must be pretty lucky for having it help relieve your menstrual pain. For most ladies, paracetamol is just a waste of time...so they usually take other stronger analgesics like ibuprofen, diclofenac and occasionally buscopan.
Re: Paracetamol Overdose: 6 Signs And Symptoms You Must Not Ignore! by Nobody: 9:20am On Jun 26, 2017
Damian2016:
Well, that would depend on whether or not the headache is a normal headache caused by stress or a cold or whether it something more sinister like a brain tumor for example. And you must be pretty lucky for having it help relieve your menstrual pain. For most ladies, paracetamol is just a waste of time...so they usually take other stronger analgesics like ibuprofen, diclofenac and occasionally buscopan.

hmmmmmm. interesting
Re: Paracetamol Overdose: 6 Signs And Symptoms You Must Not Ignore! by mikky4764(f): 10:01am On Jun 26, 2017
I don't really like painkillers because of it's side effects, if I have headche, I try the water therapy and rest but if it doesn't work, I can just take a tablet, I dont take two at a time.
Re: Paracetamol Overdose: 6 Signs And Symptoms You Must Not Ignore! by Damian2016: 10:27am On Jun 26, 2017
mikky4764:
I don't really like painkillers because of it's side effects, if I have headche, I try the water therapy and rest but if it doesn't work, I can just take a tablet, I dont take two at a time.
I like your strategy. I personally try resting or napping whenever I have a headache. Usually, I feel relieved afterwards. If I don't get some improvement, I take two tablets and that's it for the day. In any case, do whatever works for you....but do it in moderation.
Re: Paracetamol Overdose: 6 Signs And Symptoms You Must Not Ignore! by mikky4764(f): 10:30am On Jun 26, 2017
Damian2016:
I like your strategy. I personally try resting or napping whenever I have a headache. Usually, I feel relieved afterwards. If I don't get some improvement, I take two tablets and that's it for the day. In any case, do whatever works for you....but do it in moderation.

yea

(1) (Reply)

Natural Supplement For Stress / Menstrual Cramps: How To Set Yourself Free From The Pains / Skin Care Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.