Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,535 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

Is The Music Of The 70's And 80's Better Than The Music Of Today? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is The Music Of The 70's And 80's Better Than The Music Of Today? (2653 Views)

Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? / Nigreian Artistes Of The 70's & 80's / 80's Music Playlist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Music Of The 70's And 80's Better Than The Music Of Today? by BOMBBLAST: 1:12pm On Jan 27, 2010
all the grandpas and grandmas in the house,

all the yuppies and sussies,

do you think the music of the 70s and 80s is better than today's music
Re: Is The Music Of The 70's And 80's Better Than The Music Of Today? by Lacuzy: 1:46pm On Jan 28, 2010
yes ooooooooooo very much better
when you listen to oldies it makes alot of sense and goes right straight into your soul you feel the lyrics and its just practical.

OLDIES FOR LIFE!
be a fan
Re: Is The Music Of The 70's And 80's Better Than The Music Of Today? by ceoreigns(m): 12:37pm On Jan 30, 2010
I don't think so though I respect what my fellow music lovers have to say about the wayback style of music being better than that of nowadays. Think of the talents we have now, the beatings, the lyrics though off point mostly but new artists Asa, Faze, etc are still keeping it strong.
Re: Is The Music Of The 70's And 80's Better Than The Music Of Today? by Scofield007(m): 3:55pm On Jan 30, 2010
Been pondering on this issue for quite sometime now especially when i hear these old folks talk about back in my days. It baffles me to see even young dudes agree that oldies are better than the music we have now. I dont feel those songs apart from those country music folks in the west. Back home here, whenever i listen to songs by the likes of obey, i'm always like these pple dont really have much to say. They just prolong a story they can tell within 3 to 4mins to 30-45mins repeating the same thing they have said all over again. They make real music though, but lyrically, i duff my hat for the new school. If not for the help of digitals, computers, autotune, i'll have named the new school the best automatically. Not all of them though. For example, i cant use my money to buy songs by the likes of terry g, timaya, psquare(sometimes), jmartins, ay.com etc. But pple like M.I, Asa, banky, 2face, dare and co always hold it down correctly.
Re: Is The Music Of The 70's And 80's Better Than The Music Of Today? by drrionelli(m): 8:32pm On Jan 30, 2010
It's curious that the thread was initially directed at those of a certain chronological demographic. Doing so misses the point, however.

If music is good, it's good regardless of its age. And, if music is bad, it's bad regardless of its age. Like any expression of art, music changes. It must to remain able to ably express what those who make it (and those who receive it) wish to convey. So, it's not a matter of "better/worse," but, rather, a matter of different.

And, not only does music, itself, change, but the way music is created changes, as well it must. Not just from the standpoint of who is making it, but also HOW they're making it. We have technology available now that allows us to create sounds and rhythms that in the '70s would have been unthinkable. This is a GOOD thing! This allows a flexibility of creativity to explore new ideas and methods of expression.

So, to answer the question--yes, some older tunes are wonderful. But let's not dismiss the new music. There's lots of good stuff out there!
Re: Is The Music Of The 70's And 80's Better Than The Music Of Today? by nyabingi(m): 11:40pm On Jan 31, 2010
those of u supporting today music seems to miss it all, come to think of it how many of today's musicians can play at least one musical instrument, apart from ppl like Asa, dare, sound sultan and some other classic naija artistes. Music of the old both local and international came with meanings, contents, expressions, the lyrics and rhythms were simply splendid. ok, listen to onyeka onwenu's one love and listen to timayas dem mama or listen to Aretha Franklyn's music and that of Beyonce today, guys lets say the truth there is no basis for comparison.

Stevie wonder, Lionel Richie, King Sunny Ade, Fatai Rolling Dollars, Jimmy Cliff, Onyeka Onwenu, Eric Clapton, Elton John, Sade Adu, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Victor Uwaifo etc all dazzled the world not with some computer programming and some dummy-voices but with originality and their voice still stood the test of time. After the death of Bob Marley, his album Exodus was still selling worldwide. Bross no contest, Old school is it, most of the new generation artiste have already been forgotten just at the turn of the millennium when their music was released.

(1) (Reply)

Don Tom Is Back With A Massive Hit / Davido Beats Up His Manager, Asa Asika / Dj AKIN G= latest mixtap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.