Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,795 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

A Divided Nigeria As Seen By A 22 Years Old. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Divided Nigeria As Seen By A 22 Years Old. (628 Views)

See What Other Africans Have To Say About Nigerians And Nigeria As A Country / Get Your Article,content Or Blog Post Seen By Over 100,000 People - Write For Us / African American Man To Return To Umuahia, Nigeria As He Rocks Igbo Attire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Divided Nigeria As Seen By A 22 Years Old. by MARSONE: 6:08pm On Jun 27, 2017
NIGERIA IS MORE DIVIDED THAN YOU THINK. (Extracts from my interview 10 years ago

Sitting in front of about 12 managers of a major oil and gas company in Nigeria was a young man (myself) in his early 20's. I was asked "why did you choose to attend MAN ORON?" I replied saying it was because I knew I will secure a job in an oil company after graduation hence my decision to study marine engineering in Maritime Academy of Nigeria Oron. (All shocked and eyes wide open).
20 minutes later one of the managers recalled my earlier response saying why did I say "I will get a job in an oil company after graduation"?
This was my reply;

I am from Bayelsa state and 4 years ago I was in Kaduna to chase my dream of becoming a military officer in the Navy so opted to sit for the Nigerian Defence Academy exams. After attending the interview, I was placed on reserve which meant that someone had to die or run away from my state for me to replace him. While waiting for this to happen as my mates had started training, l decided to attend a school of basic and remedial studies to secure admission into ABU Zaria. This school located in Funtua was designed to assist those having low WAEC grades secure an admission into ABU Zaria. On reaching Funtua to submit my application form, I noticed that a list of some students who had successfully completed their 1 year course was published and I decided to take a look for the fun of it. I noticed something bizarre about this list. Each student had their states of origin alongside their names and I realised that of the 1000 names published, only about 20 were from either of Benue, Plateu, Kogi, and at most Kwara. Guess what? The rest were from the north. I perused through the list to see maybe one Enugu, Akwa Ibom or Lagos state but I was disappointed I couldn't find even one.
I said to myself that this is not right so I requested to see an official of the school and was taken to the dean's office. I introduced myself and inquired why the list had no south eastern or south western or south southerner? He said the school is for northerners so they can measure up to their pairs in other regions. I asked again; does that mean I will not secure an admission even though I have all my WAEC grades in A's and B's and C's ? He said yes that I should go back to the south to seek for admission. I was heartbroken and I left.

Now sir with that mindset, I am very sure that having completed my course of study from MAN ORON, I will be given a preferential treatment as a south south candidate as compared to a northern candidate in an oil company since the oil is from the south and the company is located in the south. The hall became as quite as a graveyard and that ended my interview with mixed feelings.

Guess what? I was given an ovation and your guess is right; yes I got the job.

Cc: Lalasticlacla

3 Likes

Re: A Divided Nigeria As Seen By A 22 Years Old. by Yoshy: 6:52pm On Jun 27, 2017
Congrats brother! The Truth in the words of Kanu will set us free. Good you used it to your advantage.
Re: A Divided Nigeria As Seen By A 22 Years Old. by MARSONE: 7:03pm On Jun 27, 2017
Yoshy:
Congrats brother! The Truth in the words of Kanu will set us free. Good you used it to your advantage.

Hahahaha Kanu was not there 10 years ago oh lol.
Thanks all the same
Re: A Divided Nigeria As Seen By A 22 Years Old. by Yoshy: 7:06pm On Jun 27, 2017
MARSONE:

Hahahaha Kanu was not there 10 years ago oh lol.
Thanks all the same

It's not about Kanu, it's about your courage to say the truth and make it work for you.
Re: A Divided Nigeria As Seen By A 22 Years Old. by MARSONE: 7:32pm On Jun 27, 2017
Yoshy:

It's not about Kanu, it's about your courage to say the truth and make it work for you.

In that you are correct Bro.

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: The News Of Awujale's Demise Is False! / Dear Igbo People, Pls The Pronoucation Is Emirates Not Emilates. / Ooni Commissions Rivers Ultra-modern Rex Lawson Cultural Centre.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.