Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time (2764 Views)

6 Awesome Hidden Things On Facebook... / The Apple Ipad Mini Is Being Unveiled As I Type / Cheap Internet Bundles On Nigerian GSM Networks Are Just A Rippoff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by alleno: 9:25pm On Jan 27, 2010
Is it just not a huge iphone? Please lets have your opinions!

IMHO, its a stupid waste so far, when i get one, i might change my mind.
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by dejavus: 10:56pm On Jan 27, 2010
I second, that absolute waste of money and wait until you see the price tag absolutely ridiculous device.

Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by dejavus: 10:57pm On Jan 27, 2010
In my Opinion more like

Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by Phony200(m): 11:29pm On Jan 27, 2010
Still undecided,
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by flyuche(m): 11:31pm On Jan 27, 2010
piece of trash!
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by alleno: 12:24am On Jan 28, 2010
Funny why they included a sim card in it sef.
I think those guys were under pressure to release something.

Its prices are from:

16 GB 32 GB 64 GB
Wi-Fi $499 $599 $699
Wi-Fi + 3G $629 $729 $829
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by buyemails(m): 12:44am On Jan 28, 2010
Waste of time man , this thing looks like a bigger version of iPhone.

What say guys ,
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by alleno: 8:29am On Jan 28, 2010
Here are the facts again for those of us who don't know it yet.

Apple's just-announced iPad looks like an iPhone on steroids, and it boasts a price tag that's a lot lower than people feared. But many of the enticing rumors about Apple's new tablet—such as chatter about a built-in camera, monthly TV subscriptions, and support for Verizon's 3G network—turned out to be dead wrong. Also: no iPhone for Verizon, at least not yet.
You can check out the details on the new iPad right here, and don't get me wrong: judged on its own, away from all the gargantuan hype, and considering its $499 price tag (for the 16GB model), Apple's new tablet is certainly one sexy piece of gadgetry.

But , is it a category-changer, like the iPod and the iPhone before it? That'll be hard to judge right away, and I still need to see the thing in person before I start making any sweeping generalizations.

That said, some of the coolest would-be features that had been rumored for the iPad failed to materialize Wednesday, starting with ,

No 3G support for Verizon
One of the earliest rumors about the iPad (which I'd still rather call the iTablet) was that it would come with embedded 3G support in addition to Wi-Fi. Well, the 3G part was true (monthly pre-paid plans will start at $14 for 250MB of data, or $29/month unlimited), but alas, no Verizon; instead, we're stuck with good 'ole AT&T (which is either a good or a bad thing, depending on how you feel about AT&T).

No jaw-droppingly new user interface
One of the most amazing things about the original iPhone was its ground-breaking touch interface; just pinch to zoom into a Web page! Tap to turn on the speakerphone! Swipe to flip through your photos! So maybe it was only natural that many of us gadget hounds (myself included) that Apple would come up with some new, "Minority Report"-style interface for the iPad , perhaps some cool haptic feedback for the virtual QWERTY keypad, or maybe (as outlined in some recent patent filings) the ability to sense a finger that's hovering near the screen but not touching it. What we got, instead, was , pretty much the same touch UI as on the iPhone, except with a lot more room. Not bad, but not all that revolutionary, either.

No built-in camera
The iPhone has a camera, the MacBook has a camera , heck, even the new iPod Nano has a camera (well, a video-only camera, anyway). So, what about the iPad? Ahhh , nope, and that's especially disappointing given the chatter from the Wall Street Journal that Apple has been toying with facial-recognition software that could potentially be used to, say, identify the various members of your family and deliver their own, customized iPad interface.

No Flash support
When, oh when, Apple, will you let us view Flash videos and Web modules on the mobile version of Safari? Who knows, but it's definitely not starting with the iPad, which is just as bereft of Flash support as the iPhone and iPod Touch are.

No user-replaceable battery
Steve Jobs claims that the iPad will come with an impressive 10 hours of battery life and a full month of stand-by time. Pretty cool, but as with the iPhone, the iPod Touch, and the latest MacBooks, the iPad battery comes sealed in the case, and there's no way to swap in a new one yourself.

No TV subscriptions
One of the more intriguing recent rumors was that Apple was going around to all the TV and cable networks, trying to sell them on the idea of monthly TV subscriptions that viewers would be able to watch on iTunes, the iPhone, Apple TV, or , the iPad. Word even had it that Disney's Bob Iger was in San Francisco today, all set to announce a new content deal with Apple, but , nope, didn't happen. (The writing for this non-event was on the wall, thanks to a recent New York Times story that reported that TV execs looked over Apple's subscription proposals and said "thanks, but no thanks."wink

No iPhone software 4.0 announcement
Yet another interesting rumor had it that the reason that there hadn't been a big iPhone software update lately was that the new code was too intertwined with the iPad OS, and therefore we'd get a big announcement today for iPhone software 4.0—complete with full-on app multitasking, UI enhancements, and other goodies. The rumor sure sounded plausible (and hey, the part about the new iPhone software being closely interwoven with the iPad may well be true), but the Apple event came and went Wednesday, with nary a sign of iPhone software 4.0.

Last but not least , no iPhone for Verizon
Besides the iPad itself, the Apple rumor that seemed to generate the most excitement was the possibility that Steve Jobs would announce the end of Apple's exclusive iPhone deal with AT&T , and announce an iPhone for Verizon at the same time. After all, most believe that the Apple-AT&T deal is set to expire this summer anyway, so why not get a jump on the news? But as with the talk about the iPad coming with support for Verizon's 3G network , well, maybe we'll get a Verizon iPhone in June or July, but we didn't see one today.

So, what were you hoping for Wednesday that didn't quite happen?
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by DoubleN(m): 2:11pm On Jan 28, 2010
How can a $600 device not have multi-tasking capabilities? Absolutely Ludicrous!
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by dragnet: 8:53am On Jan 29, 2010
Double N:

How can a $600 device not have multi-tasking capabilities? Absolutely Ludicrous!
trash
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by Moonraker1(m): 10:31am On Jan 30, 2010
not worth it at all. best part is this will become a hit when it gets released,
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by JNdupu: 1:21pm On Jan 30, 2010
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by Moonraker1(m): 2:18pm On Jan 30, 2010
cheesy haha i watched that video a million times
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by cabali(m): 12:51am On Jan 31, 2010
well, it is the first time, for me, that apple dropped the ball.

Meanwhile I dont know why it is compared to the iPhone when It hasnt the phone option (dont be carried away by the sim card slot as it is meant for the in-built modem); it is a large size version of the iTouch
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by djcrucifix(m): 1:43pm On Feb 01, 2010
how person go dey carry dat tin sef? it's to me a waste of gadget. ipod, iphone, apple mac, ipad, jus imagine having all those things in one bag.
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by midastouch: 3:14pm On Feb 08, 2010
I have read the trolling with amusement.

Apple gets it and thats why they are sitting on LOADS of reserve cash.

Lots of people are not techies, and they just need something that just works with minimum fuss. The iPad will sell in container loads!

Dont forget that the ipod fertilized the ground, the iphone watered the ground; the iPad will harvest the crops.

The iPad is not for everbody, but for lots of people who will buy.
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by midastouch: 11:53am On Mar 23, 2011
More than a year on. I am more convinced that I was right on the money. What do you fellas have to say now? ,
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by oludy: 4:40pm On Mar 23, 2011
They couldn't see the future back then. It's difficult really until you hold one in your hands. This is the future.
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by Dornbrook: 6:52am On Mar 26, 2011
More than a year on.  I am more convinced that I was right on the money. What do you fellas have to say now? ,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iPad2case
leather ipad 2 case
iPad2 case
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by Bawss1(m): 3:51pm On Mar 27, 2011
midastouch:

More than a year on. I am more convinced that I was right on the money. What do you fellas have to say now? ,

Yeah and now everyone wants a tablet of some sort. You've got to hand it to Apple for delivering market changing devices.
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by xroad: 11:23am On Jun 17, 2011
With the tons of apps available on the ipad, the device can be almost what you want it to be.

Check out this hands on review of the ipad as a phone using the app PhoneItiPad!

http://artwales.biz/?p=12908
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by Easyflow12: 6:01am On Jun 25, 2011
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by Phony200(m): 8:50am On Jun 25, 2011
It's an awesome waste of time. Loaded with apps and so much more a game changer than I thought when it was launched.
Re: The Apple Ipad - Awesome Device Or Just A Waste Of Time by BankoleO1: 7:06am On Jun 26, 2011
dejavus:

In my Opinion more like

I strongly agree with you.  grin but ladies go like that apple pad.  wink

(1) (Reply)

An Hp Compaq Nc6230 Laptops Is For Sale N10k (motherboard Problem) / License/activation Key For Latest Avast 11.1.2245 / Brand new Multilinks Router With One Month Internet Subscription For Sale 50k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.