Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,574 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Artist Paints Trump, Obama, Others As Refugees - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Artist Paints Trump, Obama, Others As Refugees (551 Views)

15,000 Cameroonian Refugees Flee To Nigeria Amid Crackdown On Secessionists / Syrian Refugees Rescued Nigerian From Fire! / President Trump Says Persecuted Christians Will Be Given Priority As Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Artist Paints Trump, Obama, Others As Refugees by Emyres: 9:50am On Jun 28, 2017
What would David Cameron, the former British Prime Minister, look like if he were homeless? How would you react if you saw Kim Jong-un, the North Korean leader, walking with no shoes?

The Vulnerability Series is an exhibition by Syrian artist Abdulla Al-Omari in the United Arab Emirates. He gives world leaders a makeover with a difference. He takes them out of their fine suits and paints them as refugees.

Al-Omari says his exhibition is a reaction to his plight as a refugee: “I wanted to imagine how all these powerful leaders in the world would look if they were in our shoes.
“As the anger grew inside me I wanted to have sweet revenge, but with art.”

Al-Omari says he wanted to “disarm” the leaders by picturing them outside their positions of power.

The media, he says, focuses on the numbers of refugees but neglects the personal stories behind these figures.
“When you know the personal story of someone, you connect with them,” says Al-Omari.

The refugee crisis has claimed the lives of thousands, most notably Alan Kurdi, the three-year-old boy washed up on a Turkish beach in September 2015. Despite this and other high-profile deaths, little has been done to change the situation.

*The Power of Vulnerability* runs until July 6 at The Ayyam Gallery in Dubai.

Source: http://www.africanews.com/2017/06/20/syrian-artist-paints-donald-trump-and-other-world-leaders-as-refugees/

Re: Artist Paints Trump, Obama, Others As Refugees by Yeligray(m): 9:53am On Jun 28, 2017
Lovely painting
Re: Artist Paints Trump, Obama, Others As Refugees by Nobody: 9:55am On Jun 28, 2017
And where are the rest
Re: Artist Paints Trump, Obama, Others As Refugees by Nobody: 9:57am On Jun 28, 2017
I see
Re: Artist Paints Trump, Obama, Others As Refugees by Emyres: 9:59am On Jun 28, 2017
More.

Re: Artist Paints Trump, Obama, Others As Refugees by CplusJason: 10:04am On Jun 28, 2017
No need to paint buhari. Nature has done that already. cool

3 Likes

Re: Artist Paints Trump, Obama, Others As Refugees by hmbassey1960(m): 10:12am On Jun 28, 2017
Paint namndi kanu as he is playing yahoo yahoo on the igbos
Re: Artist Paints Trump, Obama, Others As Refugees by Emyres: 10:12am On Jun 28, 2017
Finally

Re: Artist Paints Trump, Obama, Others As Refugees by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jun 30, 2017
I Homeless Pic Of Trump Looks So Real..

(1) (Reply)

White Man Suspended After Saying Saving 1 Dog Is More Important Than 1mil Blacks / Join The Protest In Lagos Against The Enslavement Of Black People In Libya!!! / UN Votes 128-9 To Reject US Decision On Jerusalem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.