Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,363 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

Debate: In Nigeria, We Have Schools But No Education - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Debate: In Nigeria, We Have Schools But No Education (1950 Views)

Anambra Takes First Position In Schools Debate / 5 Anambra Students To Represent Nigeria At 27th World Debate In Singapore! / Anambra Students To Represent Nigeria At 27th World Debate In Singapore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Debate: In Nigeria, We Have Schools But No Education by ProfBills(m): 1:52pm On Dec 14, 2005
I'm sure any sincere person will agree with me that our educational system is a sad story to tell.

[list][li]University lecturers spend their time taking money and sex from students instead of doing the work they are paid for.[/li][li]Students on their part do not read any longer because they understand their money can buy their way out.[/li][li]"Waec Supervisors", as they are called, pay huge amounts of bribe to get a position in the exam session, with the hope of extorting the money in hundred folds back from the students in the halls they call exam centers.[/li][li]We have more schools than countries like Ghana and Cameroon, but can't dream of comparing the academic standards.[/li][/list]

It if for all this, that I say without fear nor favour, and owe no appology to any one that in Nigeria, we have schools but no education. If you have a contrary opinion, let us know your mind.

1 Like

Re: Debate: In Nigeria, We Have Schools But No Education by jubocycke(m): 12:50am On Sep 05, 2008
well, i think this is a case of misplaced priority.

i am glad to tell you my good friend,that you have just committed
the fallacy of converse accident in logic,that is ,hasty generalization.

go back and make more researches concerning the education system in your country. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Debate: In Nigeria, We Have Schools But No Education by Raymond4kc: 9:35pm On Sep 05, 2008
ProfBill , I support u strongly. It is only God that can save us from the menace in our Educational system. If we continue like this, then in the next 20 years, I wonder what will happen. Anybody that is trying to refute this obvious fact, is just trying to be sentimental about his judgement.

I rest my case here.
Re: Debate: In Nigeria, We Have Schools But No Education by ejighikeme: 10:54pm On Sep 05, 2008
Nigeria is a nation with little or no quality education. The reason why we are technologically backward is because we have not paid any attention to research and discoveries in this country.Imagine a university graduate in this country that cannot even compete with his or her equals in other part of Africa talk more of the world.We rather have few schools in this country and qualitative education than having quantity and numerous schools without quality.Government should help us by closing all these mushroom and backward private schools because they are constituting nuisance, and they causing more harm than good,
Re: Debate: In Nigeria, We Have Schools But No Education by iice(f): 4:44am On Sep 06, 2008
Just reading through threads on the land is enough.

We have education but the quality is the question.
Re: Debate: In Nigeria, We Have Schools But No Education by papadims: 6:27pm On Sep 06, 2008
In the nigeria of today, we all care about what we can get from people, the connections we have or how money we have or what we can get now.

I agree with the poster but i would try to comment on the issue based on our (the present generation) role to play.

Take this scinerio, two young persons who just graduated from secondary school. One has a good result and the other has non. But due to connections the one without a good result gains admission and the other fails to. when the chap without a good result gets to school do you think he/she would put much effort at school.

What i'm trying to say is our educational sector is on a down slide because corruption ahs eaten deep into the system. Before you get admitted you suffer and at most times you have to cough out some money, the lectures too are not helping matters.

The only way forward is to allow student gain admission on merit. A rule should be made that any who fails to attain a certain GP point after a session should be sent out and any lecturer found to have engaged in any corrupt practised should be sacked and have his licence revolked. I know when we are hard it would serve as a deterant to others.

1 Like

Re: Debate: In Nigeria, We Have Schools But No Education by transolado: 4:44pm On Aug 31, 2009
Well, while some people are right about their opinions but why not talk more positively. At least,provide solutions to all these problems and act,

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Dalian Medical University Agrees To Admit Nigerian Students / Oko Poly Resumes Today / Smartest Kids In Britain, Nigerians (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.