Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,686 members, 7,823,934 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group (2682 Views)

Meet Wodaabe Men, A Fulani Ethnic Group Who Make-up For Easy Marriage, / Top 10 Largest Ethnic Group In Africa / List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jun 29, 2017
I made a post here a while back about this. I've done another test to compare results and the results were very different but these seem to be correct. I will post it below. Nigeria was the largest and most likely West Africa country in my DNA but I wanted to know a ethnic group or tribe to which I may belong? Before you guys mentioned Igbo, but it is still the case with the new information.

Tell me what you guys think. I've also grown my hair out a bit. Haha

# Population Percent
1 West-Africa 46.32
2 Eastern-Bantu 14.86
3 French 13.41
4 North-Africa 8.48
5 Nilo-Saharan 3.98
6 Mbuti-Pygmy 3.73
7 Omotic 3.42
8 Biaka-Pygmy 3.08
9 Khoi-San 2.71

# Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
1 70.8% hausa + 29.2% libya @ 5.58
2 71.6% hausa + 28.4% egyptans @ 5.74
3 70.9% igbo + 29.1% libya @ 5.9
4 72.3% hausa + 27.7% egypt @ 5.9
5 71.7% igbo + 28.3% egyptans @ 5.98

Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Probz(m): 5:07pm On Jun 29, 2017
What's your question exactly?
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by RedboneSmith(m): 5:12pm On Jun 29, 2017
Oh, you look a lot more light-skinned and more 'mixed-race' here than in the picture in your previous post.
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 29, 2017
I wanted to know a ethnic group or tribe to which I may belong in Nigeria?
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 29, 2017
RedboneSmith:
Oh, you look a lot more light-skinned and more 'mixed-race' here than in the picture in your previous post.

How do I look more mixed race?
The only difference is my hair haha
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Probz(m): 5:14pm On Jun 29, 2017
khonos:

How do I look more mixed race?
The only difference is my hair haha
And lighter skinned. Redbone's right.
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 29, 2017
Probz:
And lighter skinned. Redbone's right.

I thought I looked darker in this picture haha
Maybe because I was in the shade or something idk
I'll repost the first one.

Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Probz(m): 5:20pm On Jun 29, 2017
To answer your question you definitely don't look Yoruba.
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jun 29, 2017
Probz:
To answer your question you definitely don't look Yoruba.

Do I resemble a Nigerian at all? In any way?
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Probz(m): 5:34pm On Jun 29, 2017
khonos:

You look quite Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jun 29, 2017
Probz:
You look quite Igbo.

Cool I've heard that before.
On my DNA results, in the population admixture it says that I have some matches with the Hausa. You see any
truth in that?
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Eeghe(f): 12:10am On Apr 16, 2018
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by MrBigiman: 12:40am On Apr 16, 2018
Eeghe:

Friday is not good
You have to start tomorrow (well I mean Monday/today)
You could get house officers and junior nurses to vote?
Even residents? Medical students?
Street people work well too (the best IMO cos you can monitor them)
Ten people doing 100 SMS each is 30k
6 people doing that is 18 k
You can do 2k
You could also send the cards to Threebear to share (I am sure he already has a team)
Good night

Don't quote will delete

I frown as if I don't watch BBN once I'm at oh. Dont even comment much wen I here d duscussion. But as soon as I'm home and glued to the TV it's BBN all d way. Will figure it out surely. If there was a level playing ground Miracle will win easily, but I know other teams will want to fight to the finish.
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Eeghe(f): 1:18am On Apr 16, 2018
MrBigiman:

I frown as if I don't watch BBN once I'm at oh. Dont even comment much wen I here d duscussion. But as soon as I'm home and glued to the TV it's BBN all d way. Will figure it out surely. If there was a level playing ground Miracle will win easily, but I know other teams will want to fight to the finish.

Welcome to my life cheesy
Pls he will win
Do not change your mind or relent
Do it tmr- send to the guy on the forum or use neighbors
Doing mine cos I am on leave
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by JikanBaura(m): 1:38pm On Apr 16, 2018
You look igbo and you could be from any tribe from Southern Nigeria due they probably make 40% of africans taken out west africa.

Judging by your look, You look Fulani because you got their typical hair , but you could still be from any northern minority tribes, because you can find people that are not fulani but still posses the curlly hair feature that is dominant to fulani. Dont get me wrong their are fulani with kinky hair but just not the kinkiest and even if

I doubt if you are hausa, reason is only little percentage of hausa people were taking out of africa for slavery for hausa are sahel and sahara dwellers unlike Igbos, Yoruba whom dwell at slavery coast. But if your DNA said you are hausa then probably you are but a rear case even your cheesy slanty eyes and hairy eye brown are that of Hausa. smiley

if your DNA result does not specified your ethnicity and only point Nigeria then their is very little chance you are hausa.
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Nobody: 2:23pm On Apr 16, 2018
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by revontuli(f): 10:41pm On Apr 16, 2018
JikanBaura:
You look igbo and you could be from any tribe from Southern Nigeria due they probably make 40% of africans taken out west africa.

Judging by your look, You look Fulani because you got their typical hair , but you could still be from any northern minority tribes, because you can find people that are not fulani but still posses the curlly hair feature that is dominant to fulani. Dont get me wrong their are fulani with kinky hair but just not the kinkiest and even if

I doubt if you are hausa, reason is only little percentage of hausa people were taking out of africa for slavery for hausa are sahel and sahara dwellers unlike Igbos, Yoruba whom dwell at slavery coast. But if your DNA said you are hausa then probably you are but a rear case even your cheesy slanty eyes and hairy eye brown are that of Hausa. smiley

if your DNA result does not specified your ethnicity and only point Nigeria then their is very little chance you are hausa.

According to the DNA test he's 13% French, that's why the curly hair.

1 Like

Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Nobody: 2:37am On Jan 16, 2019
I know it’s been a while
Just an update if anyone cared to know lol but I’ve tracked down some distant African relatives through Ancestry.com

I’ll post their last names here and countries
Egwu - Nigeria (Igbo)
Oputa - Nigeria (Igbo)
Egbuziem - Nigeria (Igbo)
Razzaq -
Jubulani -
Taifa -
Onukogu - Nigeria (Igbo)
Jalloh/Diallo - Senegal (Fulani)
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by davidnazee: 2:21am On Jan 17, 2019
khonos:
I know it’s been a while
Just an update if anyone cared to know lol but I’ve tracked down some distant African relatives through Ancestry.com

I’ll post their last names here and countries
Egwu - Nigeria (Igbo)
Oputa - Nigeria (Igbo)
Egbuziem - Nigeria (Igbo)
Razzaq -
Jubulani -
Taifa -
Onukogu - Nigeria (Igbo)
Jalloh/Diallo - Senegal (Fulani)

Your facial features isn’t of a true black man.. everything about your looks is typical to the Fulani herdsmen..
curly hair, pointed nose, v-face, straight lips.
Bro you are a Fulani herdsman..
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Fatherofdragons: 6:35am On Jan 17, 2019
davidnazee:

Your facial features isn’t of a true black man.. everything about your looks is typical to the Fulani herdsmen..
curly hair, pointed nose, v-face, straight lips.
Bro you are a Fulani herdsman..

He doesn't have a pointed nose, he looks Igbo to me
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by labani06(m): 11:50am On Jan 17, 2019
khonos:

Cool I've heard that before.
On my DNA results, in the population admixture it says that I have some matches with the Hausa. You see any
truth in that?

There are a lot of Hausa people that have such kind of your hear actually you look like a hausa man but hausa are not fair only few that are fair actually as for me ur descendant must be from northern Nigeria "hausa land " down to north africa
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by ArlinAddington: 12:58pm On Jan 18, 2019
labani06:

There are a lot of Hausa people that have such kind of your hear actually you look like a hausa man but hausa are not fair only few that are fair actually as for me ur descendant must be from northern Nigeria "hausa land " down to north africa

Actually he looks nothing like a hausa person or a fulani person bar the curly hair. His nose and complexion screams more igbo than a northerner. Plus african americans tend to be mixed with european ancestry.

Hausa is also his least likely ethnicity as hausas were not taken during the trans atlantic slave trade or prominent in any slavery network though they did have slaves within their cities, possibly north africa. There is actually a very minimal insignificant amount of hausa slave descendants outside the continent. He may be any of the southern nigerian ethnicities or fulani but the fulani slaves taken were not from northern nigeria but from the senegambian region. DNa tests also tends to show tikar dna under hausa fulani (no such thing as far as ethnicity) due to discrepancies. If his test says that then he should probably look to the tikars in cameroon, but if it narrows it down to nigeria then its probably igbo yoruba or other southern ethnicities. Like i said, finding a hausa african american is very unlikely, my guess would definitely be igbo based on his current look but the phenotype of african americans has been altered due to intermixing between other african slaves and european and native american ethnicities.
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jan 19, 2019
I do agree with everyone here that my ancestry seems to be primarily a toss up between Fulani and Igbo. Could be mixed with both or whatever but it’s good to have at least some place to begin. As far as learning the history of our African people.
I’ve submitted my DNA to multiple sites to gather well rounded estimates. Every test has stated that I have (firstly) Nigerian (between 40 - 50 %) and (secondly) Senegalese (between 20 - 40%)origins.
I keep seeing Senegalese at the number 2 spot so that’s how I guessed at the partial Fulani Ancestry.
I do agree that it’s unlikely to be Hausa.
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by labani06(m): 7:44am On Jan 21, 2019
ArlinAddington:

Actually he looks nothing like a hausa person or a fulani person bar the curly hair. His nose and complexion screams more igbo than a northerner. Plus african americans tend to be mixed with european ancestry.

Hausa is also his least likely ethnicity as hausas were not taken during the trans atlantic slave trade or prominent in any slavery network though they did have slaves within their cities, possibly north africa. There is actually a very minimal insignificant amount of hausa slave descendants outside the continent. He may be any of the southern nigerian ethnicities or fulani but the fulani slaves taken were not from northern nigeria but from the senegambian region. DNa tests also tends to show tikar dna under hausa fulani (no such thing as far as ethnicity) due to discrepancies. If his test says that then he should probably look to the tikars in cameroon, but if it narrows it down to nigeria then its probably igbo yoruba or other southern ethnicities. Like i said, finding a hausa african american is very unlikely, my guess would definitely be igbo based on his current look but the phenotype of african americans has been altered due to intermixing between other african slaves and european and native american ethnicities.
u may be right in some ways but u have to look at what he posted his DNA details .and i have never say his complexion resamble like that of hausa no please i only commented about some features example his hair i have closed native hausa friend that has such hair secondly if you travel to the core north u will see what i am talking places like sokoto katsina down to Niger republic .
Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by RedboneSmith(m): 8:42am On Jan 21, 2019
labani06:

u may be right in some ways but u have to look at what he posted his DNA details .and i have never say his complexion resamble like that of hausa no please i only commented about some features example his hair i have closed native hausa friend that has such hair secondly if you travel to the core north u will see what i am talking places like sokoto katsina down to Niger republic .

His hair and skin colour could very easily be as a result of Caucasian admixture of which he has some.

1 Like

Re: Finding Nigerian Ethnic Group by NileValley: 10:36pm On Jan 24, 2019
khonos:

Yes

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Girl Expose 'whites Only' Restaraunt In Ghana, Authorities Swoop In. / Strange!men Drinks 2ltrs Of Blood & Milk In Ethiopia,to Be Crowned Fattest Man / Funny Yoruba News: Mark Zuckerberg In Nigeria & Other Stories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.