Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,293 members, 7,829,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

Was Christiano Ronaldo Aiming For Personal Glory Against Chile?? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Was Christiano Ronaldo Aiming For Personal Glory Against Chile?? (971 Views)

Kogi Striker Prefers Team Success Over Personal Glory / Actress Offers To Kiss To Any Peru Player Who Scores Winning Goal Against Chile / Ahmed Musa: Nigeria Are Aiming For The World Cup Semis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Christiano Ronaldo Aiming For Personal Glory Against Chile?? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jun 29, 2017
The game between Portugal and Chile has been won and lost in the Ongoing FIFA Confederation Cup.
Man City and Chilean goalkeeper,Claudio Bravo was a hero as he denied the Portuguese from scoring at the penalty spot thrice.

So many things have been said about Ronaldo not stepping up to take the third penalty knowing fully well that a miss would result to a lose in that game.

Some people have opined that Christiano Ronaldo wanted to take the last penalty so that he will receive the accolades that his spot kick sent his team to the finals.Some other people have argued that CR7 would have stepped up to take the spot kick if it were during the duration of the game to take the glory.

Some are of the opinion that ,for a long time now,Christiano Ronaldo was in the habit of taking the last kick as seen in the UCL Finals against Athlectico Madrid.

Was CR7 gunning for personal glory knowing fully well that the third miss will end their dreams of becoming Champions?.
Is he to be blame as it was three key Portuguese players who missed their kicks.

If the portuguese team had reached the finals,would Ronaldo excuse himself to go see his twins ??.
Or is that the third place match is insignificant to him?.

Share your views.

1 Like

Re: Was Christiano Ronaldo Aiming For Personal Glory Against Chile?? by eyeview: 9:33pm On Jun 29, 2017
He always does that. He likes going for that penalty shot that will be the decider.
That's how he did it in real Madrid against Bayern and like this one, it never got to him as they were knocked out before it got to him.

2 Likes

Re: Was Christiano Ronaldo Aiming For Personal Glory Against Chile?? by Nutase: 9:46pm On Jun 29, 2017
He was tired and wanted to go home to his twins.
Re: Was Christiano Ronaldo Aiming For Personal Glory Against Chile?? by GavelSlam: 10:05pm On Jun 29, 2017
He shuns responsibility the way I see it.

He should have been the first taker.

This diffuses tension across the team and a sign of leadership.

His attitude of waiting till the last kick smacks of pride and cheap glory hunt.

1 Like

Re: Was Christiano Ronaldo Aiming For Personal Glory Against Chile?? by 0955eb027(m): 10:12pm On Jun 29, 2017
Ronaldo, right from the beginning of time has always been a personal glory chaser. Other top players would take the first kick, and if delivered will serve as a morale boost.

2 Likes

Re: Was Christiano Ronaldo Aiming For Personal Glory Against Chile?? by Nobody: 7:15am On Jun 30, 2017
If cr7 takes the first kick and misses,don't you think it will deflate the morale of his team mates?
Re: Was Christiano Ronaldo Aiming For Personal Glory Against Chile?? by oyinlola007(m): 9:24am On Jun 30, 2017
Are you tired of NEPA taking light? Well, these guys have a plan to end the suffering. But first, they need your retweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/PAwojobi/status/879435157287165953
Re: Was Christiano Ronaldo Aiming For Personal Glory Against Chile?? by Oluwaremythe(m): 10:20am On Jul 01, 2017
yu guys should kip giving urself headache o
Sanchez played last too
dos dat played before ronaldo too were top players,bt they miss,even if ronaldo had played before them and scores,they still wont beat chile in dat match,kos they were all afraid(it was obvious).
d last euro cup they played,I think,there was a match that they decided with pk,ronaldo played first..nobody said anything then,he plays last to help d team too,kos its like 98% dat he'll score d last.
bck to ur latter question...he was jst disappointed and couldn't get over d heartbreak...sure he would av stayed bck if they're in d final.

Portugal were eliminated from the tournament on Wednesday, suffering a 3-0 penalty shoot-out loss to Chile after a 0-0 draw in Russia.
Ronaldo was left disappointed by his side's exit, appearing to confirm the birth of his two boys and that he would miss the third place play-off
"I was in the service of the national team, as always, body and soul, even though my two children were born," he wrote on Facebook.
"Unfortunately, we have not been able to achieve the main sporting objective that we wanted, but I am sure we will continue to give joy to the Portuguese.

"The president of the Portuguese Football Federation and the national team have today had an attitude that has touched me and I will not forget.

D Portuguese board understood him and they allowed him...haba,Nigerians.
Re: Was Christiano Ronaldo Aiming For Personal Glory Against Chile?? by PlayerMeji: 2:21pm On Jul 01, 2017
Not that I think.

The Penalty Taker list is compiled by the team manager and handed to the referee before the start of the penalty shootout.

The names are sequenced already and there is no way anyone could play before his turn.

Most team managers usually allow the finest players to take the first or last kick in a shootout.

I guess this is the second time Ronaldo is left stranded on penalty.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Chealsea To Announce Signing Of Monaco Mid-fielder / Niangolan Dash Top Teams Hope / Where Find Good Night Predicts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.