Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Nairaland VS Facebook. Entrepreneurship Lessons - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland VS Facebook. Entrepreneurship Lessons (498 Views)

Is This Elite Entrepreneurship Training Consult A Scam? / Nairaland Vs Quora. Question 1. / Nairaland Vs Naijaloaded (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland VS Facebook. Entrepreneurship Lessons by anthoniosp(m): 8:45am On Jun 30, 2017
Last night the big brother of every social media got 2 billion active users after about 13 years, funny enough Nairaland also was created about 13 months after Facebook was created.
What has been the story so far?
Well, before we go into the current state let's go back to the beginning.

First off Both Mark and seun at one point in time had no belive that God existed.

In 2004 mark Zuckerberg founded Facebook, one year later seun osewa founded Nairaland.

Mark Zuckerberg dropped out of school, seun osewa dropped out also.

Mark Zuckerberg gets about $500,000 in seed funding, Seun gets $15 per month hosting sponsorship from a family friend.

This point in the history of Facebook changed everything and they experienced a boom because they were in the right ecosystem and that propelled them meanwhile seun osewa had to go through the tough road of bootstrapping and that accounted to the slow growth it had and I guess why it couldn't reach its maximum potential.

But between the year 2009-2012 both Nairaland and Facebook had one thing in common, they had an almost equal linear growth rate but in 2017 the story is totally different.

Facebook has exceeded its plateau and nairaland is still stuck there boasting of only about 400,000 new members since 2013, Nairaland has refused to grow despite having over 50,000,000 views by visitors which statistically accounts for nothing other than being just a made up story by Nairaland for all we care.

Why has Nairaland stopped growing?
The answer is simple
Nairaland stopped growing because Seun stopped thinking.
The major focus of seun is keeping Nairaland alive and it involves using any means even if it means allowing intertribal wars to keep Nairalanders more active or making sure that Nairaland becomes an entertainment hub for news about snakes and Tonto dike or mercy aigbe.
Oh.. I forgot to add Evans.

We all agree that Nairaland can never become the Facebook but in Nigeria is Nairaland truly a Nigerian platform?
The level of innovative ideas Facebook introduces keeps it alive, there's what is called active participation and Nairaland doesn't have that feature. Because the only feature that we the registered members have is posting and quoting so why should anyone want to become a member?

Nairaland isn't appealing to the eye, I still remember that a guy called Savagefinder made some important features that Nairaland ought to have in the new age and after seun said "ok" that was it, now, look at our mobile app and tell me this is what the number one platform for Nigerians is supposed to have.

A site like Nairaland should at least be more involved in communicating with more Nigerians, I have never seen a Nairaland advertisement any where but I still see Facebook ads, Facebook supports many things from sports to businesses and even fashion but outside our Interschool debate and miss nairaland I am yet to see what Nairaland has to offer, for example, a site like Nairaland having over 50m per year wouldn't die if they should hold a pitching tournament for startups that are flooding Nairaland or support sport activities that can be linked to Nairaland.

If Nairaland is truly Nigerian, it should atleast consist of the rich and the poor, one major advertising strategy that Nairaland could use was making sure that they offer special accounts to one or two famous people. But tell me how those people will even agree to use Nairaland when it's looking like precum?

I know seun has been complaining about spamming and all and how he cannot control it and that left for me I think that is why he is scared of expanding but the best way to kill a disease is to let it kill it self. If people are spamming then let the people kill the spammers. Why not put an automatic strict check that if your thread or post is reported as spam for even as low as 10 times, your account gets automatically deleted, there might be casualties but it would shut down spamming with an aggressive force and when you take out the spam button people will be scared to spam.. Seun.. Think.. Think.

Nairaland could serve as the tool for effective research by Nigerians and also to reach out to a wider audience but the painful thing is that you are even banned for advertising, how can you disable posting of phone numbers in the investment group? How? How are we supposed to connect on the investment platform? Through that dead thing that's called a pm?

Nairaland has the potential to serve 180m Nigerians well and become both Twitter and Facebook and Instagram in one place, you can't compete with Facebook but you can be a real junior brother of Facebook. You can be what Facebook will look up to in the Nigerian society.

Nairaland needs to stop looking at just the current situation but also anticipate the future, in the next 10 years what would be the fate of Nairaland. Lemme guess.. There would still be one snake thread on the front page

1 Like

Re: Nairaland VS Facebook. Entrepreneurship Lessons by 2horsePOWER(m): 9:02am On Jun 30, 2017
Re: Nairaland VS Facebook. Entrepreneurship Lessons by okwabayi(m): 3:12pm On Feb 13, 2019
These are solid ideas but will unfortunately fall on deaf ears.
Re: Nairaland VS Facebook. Entrepreneurship Lessons by okwabayi(m): 12:59am On Feb 14, 2019
2horsePOWER:
Baba, your brain never boot finish?

(1) (Reply)

N200m Fraud: Skye Bank Manager Jailed / 30-days Learning Skills And Guide On Internet Enhancement To Making-money / A Candid Letter to RE-EVALUATE NL To Mr. Seun Osewa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.