Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms (44323 Views)

20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / ‘Same’ Things That Most People Don’t Know Are Actually Different / English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Livefreeordieha(m): 10:28pm On Jul 01, 2017
Papiikush:
Nice one bro.
Another on you should add

BUHARI/YARADUA Both seem different but they have lot of similarities. They were both sick while ruling Nigeria.
Toyota camry big for nothing /Nigeria.. Are 2 different things but are the same eventually.. grin
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by NAZZYMATION(m): 10:32pm On Jul 01, 2017
I thought you were going to say Lai/Lie. They look different but actually mean the same thing!

1 Like

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by OGMEEKZY07(m): 10:40pm On Jul 01, 2017
[left][/left]
VargasVee:
English is not a fixed language so with time, words tend to come in more often and become acceptable.
These words are commonly called pseudoatonmys

1. FLAMMABLE/INFLAMMABLE

Looking at the above words, first thing that comes to the mind is, one catches fire and the other doesn't. Actually they mean the same thing.

2. BAR/DEBAR

Bar being the act of prohibition, funny enough debar also means the same thing.

3. REGARDLESS/IRREGARDLESS

Regardless, prevailing against odds and circumstances. Irregardless is likely originated from a combination of 'irrespective' and 'regardless' and thus became accepted.

4. HABITABLE/INHABITABLE

Habitable simple implies Suitable to live in. You would think inhabitable was any different, but it means the same thing.

5. GENIUS/INGENIOUS

Everyone has probably heard of genius. Clever, inventive person, and exceptional intellect. Ingenious also implies the same thing.

6. TERMINATE/EXTERMINATE

To terminate, the act of bringing to an end of something. Your guess would be with the prefix of 'ex' there would be difference but it does almost mean the same thing.

7. RESTIVE/RESTLESS

Your first opinion of restive would be in a state of rest, but restive actually means being unable to stay silent or still, thereby restlessness.

8. VALUABLE/INVALUABLE

Valuable means of great worth. Invaluable also means the same thing, being useful and indispensable.

Have a swell day everyone grin grin

kiss
VargasVee:
English is not a fixed language so with time, words tend to come in more often and become acceptable.

1. FLAMMABLE/INFLAMMABLE

Looking at the above words, first thing that comes to the mind is, one catches fire and the other doesn't. Actually they mean the same thing.

2. BAR/DEBAR

Regardless, prevailing against odds and circumstances. Irregardless is likely originated from a combination of 'irrespective' and 'regardless' and thus became accepted.

4. HABITABLE/INHABITABLE

Habitable simple implies Suitable to live in. You would think inhabitable was any different, but it means the same thing.

5. GENIUS/INGENIOUS

Everyone has probably heard of genius. Clever, inventive person, and exceptional intellect. Ingenious also implies the same thing.

6. TERMINATE/EXTERMINATE

To terminate, the act of bringing to an end of something. Your guess would be with the prefix of 'ex' there would be difference but it does almost mean the same thing.

7. RESTIVE/RESTLESS

Your first opinion of restive would be in a state of rest, but restive actually means being unable to stay silent or still, thereby restlessness.

8. VALUABLE/INVALUABLE

Valuable means of great worth. Invaluable also means the same thing, being useful and indispensable.

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jul 01, 2017
HARDDON:
English is nothing but an offspring sprung off a freaking sporadic spasm of a discombobulated D1ck ! The more u learn, the more you learn to learn.

If give her her book is correct why is give us us book wrong?

Why do we play on a reciter n recite @ a play?

why do we drive on a park way n park on a driveway? lipsrsealed

If groundnut oil is from groundnut, why is baby oil not from babies?

if take is took
why is fake not fook
why is make not mook
why is bake not book etc.

If almost everything else is described as incomplete .
why is only building described as Uncomplete or uncompleted.

And heck, why is it even called a BUILDING when it is completed?.

3 Likes

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Godson32(m): 11:07pm On Jul 01, 2017
Papiikush:
Nice one bro.

BUHARI/YARADUA Both seem different but they have lot of similarities. They were both sick while ruling Nigeria.
One died, the other one is about to die.
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by oluseun19: 11:09pm On Jul 01, 2017
Nice one... Really educative
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by darediamond(m): 11:54pm On Jul 01, 2017
Papiikush:
Nice one bro.

Hmmm....nailandeeeeeerrrrs!
grin grin
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by darediamond(m): 11:57pm On Jul 01, 2017
Myself2:

But Yar Adua died in office, shocked shocked shocked hold on, are you saying Buhari too will .......
Haaa! Lailah!
grin
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Rick9(m): 11:59pm On Jul 01, 2017
Valuable / Invaluable got me , first time I came across it in a write up I was confused I had to Google it,we Learn everyday.
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by kenoz(m): 12:02am On Jul 02, 2017
Nice Post

Educative
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by JoseRaji(m): 1:36am On Jul 02, 2017
oyinlola007:
Another day at my office
some people just cannot have sense. good thing you didn't go soft and send the real stuff to the guy before getting paid... I like the matured way you responded. nice one.
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by oyakhilomeh(m): 1:41am On Jul 02, 2017
KosiEric:

Look at you, you can't even spell "sens" grin grin
I see you know how to grin grin
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Emmyfem97(m): 1:50am On Jul 02, 2017
Very educative
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by ebukahandsome(m): 4:27am On Jul 02, 2017
KosiEric:

Look at you, you can't even spell "sens" grin grin

Ominiknowest look at your own spelling
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by derbywarls(m): 4:41am On Jul 02, 2017
Famous
Infamous
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Elebiju: 5:22am On Jul 02, 2017
derbywarls:
Famous
Infamous
They are not synonymous.
Famous: having a widespread reputation, usually of a favorable nature; renowned.
Infamous: having a reputation for bad character.

1 Like

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by godquality: 7:30am On Jul 02, 2017
Never heard anyone used the word irregardless though. It does sound kinky too. Even my keyboard doesn't know what that is. But we learn everyday.
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Taku555(m): 7:36am On Jul 02, 2017
VargasVee:

1. FLAMMABLE/INFLAMMABLE

2. BAR/DEBAR

4. HABITABLE/INHABITABLE

5. GENIUS/INGENIOUS

6. TERMINATE/EXTERMINATE

7. RESTIVE/RESTLESS

8. VALUABLE/INVALUABLE

remember, there is no word that is the same with another in English it could only be similar in meaning. Take note!
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by DJMCOTTY(m): 7:46am On Jul 02, 2017
HARDDON:
English is nothing but an offspring sprung off a freaking sporadic spasm of a discombobulated D1ck ! The more u learn, the more you learn to learn.

who dey fight with this one?
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by onward4life(m): 8:15am On Jul 02, 2017
t33why:
Marketer/ Business development executive

Marketer/ sales executive

Marketer/ Sales activator

Not really oo

They are different

Marketing is act of promoting the brand this will continue long after the business development executive has mapped and handed over, and is responsible for keep the brand afloat.

Sales executive is a sales force personnel actually the foot soldier.

Business development is about introduction of the brand and causing demand is to create the notion of "there is a new sheriff(brand) in town and then deploy sales executive to take over. Then move to develop new Zones.

Thank me now!
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by mhizAnnie(f): 8:19am On Jul 02, 2017
Myself2:

But Yar Adua died in office, shocked shocked shocked hold on, are you saying Buhari too will .......

Hopefully the will of the lord will prevail grin
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Zionist26(m): 10:01am On Jul 02, 2017
lemme add one... . . . . . . Void and devoid.
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Unclebrutus: 10:42am On Jul 02, 2017
Papiikush:
Nice one bro.

and both of them died on the sit.
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Raskasal(m): 11:34am On Jul 02, 2017
God bless you OP..

VargasVee:

1. FLAMMABLE/INFLAMMABLE

2. BAR/DEBAR

4. HABITABLE/INHABITABLE

5. GENIUS/INGENIOUS

6. TERMINATE/EXTERMINATE

7. RESTIVE/RESTLESS

8. VALUABLE/INVALUABLE

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Brillantman: 4:38pm On Jul 02, 2017
Mail me foxyn
Foxyn:
boss should I drop my Whatsapp contact? wanna discuss business with u
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jul 02, 2017
Brillantman:
Mail me foxyn
I just sent you a pm sir ..

but here's my mail too

michaelfoxyn @ gmail.com

thanks
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Ichietome: 6:34pm On Jul 02, 2017
omobabalawo:
..op pls also add. lalasticlala and snake. they look different but are actually the same.

Nwaamaikpe /crase grin dont look at the spelling they are all the same
lai mohammed/lie. dont b deceived by spelling. its synonymous. [b].. oya nairalanders complete this one

MY............/BAN.

mynd wat u answer so that u will not get 44 years ban[\b]
Funny you
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Showlaybour(m): 3:28pm On Jul 03, 2017
HARDDON:

very well said
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by jayriginal: 1:09pm On Jul 04, 2017
Habitable and inhabitable are different words

Valuable and invaluable are also different
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Bolincosugar(f): 10:47am On Jul 05, 2017
Papiikush:
Nice one bro.

Funny you

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Jamb Results :i'm Crying / Anambra Schools Resume With Strict COVID-19 Safety Checks (Photos) / What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.