Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? (20488 Views)

Coronavirus And 5G: Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo Addresses Conspiracy Theory (Video / What Intimacy In Marriage Really Mean And How To Build It - Faith Oyedepo / What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by diMITCHELL: 11:45am On Jul 02, 2017
shortgun:

Matthew 5:38-42

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’

39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.

41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.

42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

*Don't just pick a verse in the Bible to make mockery of the word of God. Its an abomination before your Creator.

GOD BLESS U REAL GOOD

4 Likes

Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by bolkay47(m): 11:45am On Jul 02, 2017
I dont understand why some people single out or isolate particular verses of the Bible.
What are you trying to prove?

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by Flashmove: 11:57am On Jul 02, 2017
ipreach:
I have being reading this verse of the Bible but never gotten clear meaning and understanding to what that passage is saying, please, Bible scholars here should throw more light to it.

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:" Matthew 5:38

When you read the bible , dont cut is short so that you can get the full meaning.. Each chapter connected to another for clarification .

Matthew 5:36-42
36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.[a]

Eye for Eye
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[b]

39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.

42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

The bible is a past and future of life. When you read the bible you will see that you have done most of the things written in it (Good and Bad) and also the things that you intends to do tomorrow ( Future)

Dont read the bible like a novel..... As the holy spirit for understanding .......

2 Likes

Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by emerged01(m): 12:03pm On Jul 02, 2017
grandstar:

He asked a question. How do you know his aim is to make mockery of the bible?

An eye for an eye was part of the Law given to Moses in the wilderness after the exodus enroute to the Promised Land. There were over 600 laws but the ones most people are aware are the 10 commandments. These laws were to guide the Israelites until the Christian faith should arrive.

Now an eye for an eye law simply means that the guilty person punishment must be proportional to the crime the person commuted

You are right but the first poster is VERY right. If op was quoting Moses he should have quoted from the Old Testament but he quoted scripture from the New Testament which he did wrong by ignoring the other scriptures that explained in details the particular scripture in question.

3 Likes

Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by EvangelistNdudi(m): 12:05pm On Jul 02, 2017
ipreach:
I have being reading this verse of the Bible but never gotten clear meaning and understanding to what that passage is saying, please, Bible scholars here should throw more light to it.

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:" Matthew 5:38
my brother pls don't read bible because you want to read, study Bible because you want to know more about God

the answer to your question is right there in verse 39-42
the verse 38 was one of the law in old testament but Jesus amended in verse 39-42

I don't want to believe that you stop your ready at that verse 38

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by jericco1(m): 12:05pm On Jul 02, 2017
shortgun:

40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.

*Don't just pick a verse in the Bible to make mockery of the word of God. Its an abomination before your Creator.
I agree with you

2 Likes

Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by jericco1(m): 12:07pm On Jul 02, 2017
grandstar:

An eye for an eye was part of the Law given to Moses in the wilderness after the exodus enroute to the Promised Land. There were over 600 laws but the ones most people are aware are the 10 commandments. These laws were to guide the Israelites until the Christian faith should arrive.

Now an eye for an eye law simply means that the guilty person punishment must be proportional to the crime the person commuted.

baloney
Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by eluquenson(m): 12:08pm On Jul 02, 2017
Controversies trail the scripture, my people have gone astray
Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by Dindondin(m): 12:08pm On Jul 02, 2017
grandstar:

Now an eye for an eye law simply means that the guilty person punishment must be proportional to the crime the person commuted.

Yes an eye for an eye means do me I do you.
But what Jesus meant in Mathew 5:38 and downward to verse 42 is that be a peace lover and not revenge seeker.
Jesus said this, not Moses.

Its obvious the OP wanted to bring out argument for Bible twisters.

2 Likes

Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by teekrackz(m): 12:18pm On Jul 02, 2017
ipreach:

Op u no try ooo, u just list a verse with the aim off distorting the msg

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by danbakia4j: 12:19pm On Jul 02, 2017
Mathew 5:38 is not the original scripture, "you have heard that it was said" it is an OT Law 'reference' from the OT, and Jesus is correcting it. i believe u can finish d following verses to u
Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by inze(m): 12:20pm On Jul 02, 2017
shortgun:

shortgun, You are Blessed.

@OP Whenever you need to quote the Bible for the wrong purpose, the devil will give you a chapter.

4 Likes

Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by kaywhy09(m): 12:32pm On Jul 02, 2017
In that verse 28, Jesus was reminding the multitudes about the law of Moses. And of course, then was the time of law.

But the preceding verse clearly stated what is more important in this time of grace...

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.

41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.

42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

That was the purpose of his coming, to fulfill the law.
Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by mcpizaro1106: 12:37pm On Jul 02, 2017
That has been the tool for even pastors to deceive their followers. Someone is even shouting do me i do you. May God help us.
Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by ipreach: 12:45pm On Jul 02, 2017
ucsparks:

You can go and seat down now, your question has been answered below

THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED IN THIS THREAD. I NOW UNDERSTAND

cc: lalasticlala, Mynd44 please close the thread
Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by ItsBolaji: 12:49pm On Jul 02, 2017
shortgun:

God wee so much bless you my brother, Some people wee just take one line out of the bible and start yarning dust...

3 Likes

Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by Xfemt(m): 12:55pm On Jul 02, 2017
ipreach:

may God fall on u

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by Freeman59: 1:01pm On Jul 02, 2017
ipreach:

Ipreach? You are preaching nonsense. Read the verses that follow and shut up

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by bodeskii(m): 1:06pm On Jul 02, 2017
R u guys saying op is d dragon with 7 heads?? grin grin
Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by ipreach: 1:14pm On Jul 02, 2017
I PITY ALL OF YOU HERE INSULTING ME WITHOUT KNOWING THE MOTIVE BEHIND THE THREAD.

YOU CALLED YOURSELF A CHRISTIAN, YET, ABUSING AND CURSING SOMEBODY, HMMMMMMM

I PRAY THAT GOD IN HIS INFINITE MERCY WILL THOROUGHLY FORGIVE ALL OF YOU.

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by onimcee1(m): 1:18pm On Jul 02, 2017
orunto27:
Humans are wicked and created selfish.
If I had tried to explain it, I would have done so in error. Yours was the perfect explanation.
Thank you sir.
Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by humblemikel(f): 1:40pm On Jul 02, 2017
It was Jesus counter claim on Moses Law, therefore Jesus expect you to do the opposite of what Moses cammanded in the old Tastament .By implication, don't pay Evil with Evil, but Good.
Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 02, 2017
shortgun:

But that's what all preachers do, pick the one that favours them most and interpret it the way it favours them most to the plaudit of members
Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by dchem(m): 2:00pm On Jul 02, 2017
ipreach:
I PITY ALL OF YOU HERE INSULTING ME WITHOUT KNOWING THE MOTIVE BEHIND THE THREAD.

YOU CALLED YOURSELF A CHRISTIAN, YET, ABUSING AND CURSING SOMEBODY, HMMMMMMM

I PRAY THAT GOD IN HIS INFINITE MERCY WILL THOROUGHLY FORGIVE ALL OF YOU.
Sorry for the way so many attacked you. I actually had to go through your previous post to see if there was a precedence and even at that christian were not asked to correct this way. Please forgive them and don't hesitate to ask questions in the future should you not understand. Dont let this thread deter you. Shalom.
Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by yoged(m): 2:13pm On Jul 02, 2017
Israel’s law of retaliation, requiring soul for soul, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, not only emphasized the sanctity of life but also impressed strongly upon the Israelites the need for extraordinary care to avoid doing injury to another. It also emphasized the need for people to be sure that any testimony they presented in court was true and accurate, since the person bearing false testimony would suffer the very punishment he would have brought on an innocent person. (Ex 21:23, 24; De 19:18-21; Le 24:19, 20) If a master caused his slave to lose an eye, the master did not have one of his own eyes put out, but the slave was set free. (Ex 21:26 says If a man strikes the eye of his slave man or the eye of his slave girl and he destroys it, he is to let the slave go free in compensation for his eye) jw.org
Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by bewla(m): 2:19pm On Jul 02, 2017
Baltazarcus:
It simply means " do me I do you"
not do from d Anus type o
Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by immortal145: 2:21pm On Jul 02, 2017
ipreach or woteva u call urself...the Bible is complete...pls read it completely...there is a " : "...colon mean a continuation of wot was said previously or an explanation...pls lets stop deceiving ourselves with clear TRUTH...God bless...

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by uzoronwusa: 2:40pm On Jul 02, 2017
It's a crafty technique used by unbelievers to attempt to discredit the Bible. A Muslim man once tried this trick on me.instead of embracing the obvious truth,they try to fight it.
Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by ipreach: 2:42pm On Jul 02, 2017
dchem:
Sorry for the way so many attacked you. I actually had to go through your previous post to see if there was a precedence and even at that christian were not asked to correct this way. Please forgive them and don't hesitate to ask questions in the future should you not understand. Dont let this thread deter you. Shalom.

Thank you so much for your kind word and advise
Re: What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? by Titheman(m): 2:42pm On Jul 02, 2017
shortgun:

he is an idiot

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cartoons Lead Children To Hell ( Avoid It) / Peter Obi: Video Of Catholic Bishops Condemning Father Mbaka Emerges (WATCH) / Judah 1: World’s First Christian Airline Set To Launch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.