Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,010 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Martins Wins Court Case - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Martins Wins Court Case (894 Views)

Obafemi Martins Wins First Title Of The Season / Obafemi Martins Wins The Double In USA. Eyes Treble / MARTINS WINS COURT CASE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Martins Wins Court Case by ifeanyija(m): 9:18pm On Jan 29, 2010
Martins wins court case

A judge in England on Friday dismissed the case against Obafemi Martins brought by his former representatives NVA Management, describing the players as 'a naïve and unsophisticated young man with massive amounts of money who was very vulnerable to more sophisticated operators lacking in scruples'.
In dismissing the case, Judge Richard Seymour, QC ruled that NVA failed to provide evidence that it provided services for Martins warranting the payment of nearly GBP300 000.

Judge Seymour accused NVA's Nathaniel of being 'prone to gross exaggeration', adding that he was 'unimpressed by Mr Nathaniel as a witness':

"His style of speech and presentation were superficially attractive, but often the style obscured a lack of content.

"I am satisfied that Mr. Nathaniel dazzled Mr. Martins, with the prospects of a glittering business relationship with people from show business, into signing documents which Mr. Martins thought would lead him in that direction."

By contrast, the Judge was kind to Martins.
"I was impressed by Mr. Martins as an honest and honourable man, doing his best, within the limits of his understanding of the English language and his ability to communicate his thoughts accurately in that language, to give a true and correct account of his dealings with Mr. Nathaniel. I accept his evidence without reservation. In short, it seems to me that Mr. Martins was, in 2007, a naïve and unsophisticated young man with massive amounts of money who was very vulnerable to more sophisticated operators lacking in scruples," Judge Seymour said in his judgement.

Judge Seymour ws not done with Nathaniel
"I am satisfied that he was quite prepared to say whatever he thought suited NVA’s case, and that he professed an entirely fabricated recollection of having carried out work for Mr. Martins before 17 July 2007 once it had been pointed out to him that, on the face of the Letter, it related to past consideration only and what that meant as a matter of law.
"The truth, I find, was as pleaded in the Reply to Defence, that nothing was done for Mr. Martins prior to him signing the Letter. I did not feel able to accept the evidence of Mr. Nathaniel where it conflicted with the evidence of Mr. Martins or that of Mr. Osibona.

Oluwole Osibona was one of the lawyers who represented Martins, and he told KickOffNigeria.com that the case should be an eye-opener to the players to be careful who they deal with

"It is important that our boys are not dazzled by unscrupulous agents who are unregulated and willing to tell them what they want to hear. It is always better to deal with professionals who have a governing body so that there is recourse in the event that they are taken for a ride.

"Mr Nathaniel promised Martins that he would introduce him to pop star P.Diddy and Nigerian entertainment guru Ben Bruce and that they would open chains of restaurants all across Nigeria.

"Oba trusted a man who spoke the Queen’s English with an English accent and who hired the Queen’s lawyers in Harbottle & Lewis Solicitors.

"In the end he was rescued by a man who spoke English with an African accent like him in Oluwole Osibona of Freemans Solicitors."

http://www.kickoff.com/static/news/article.php?id=13654

(1) (Reply)

Sport Forum Gist / A Nigerian Launches 1st Livescore Mini Site / England's Football Manager Roy Hodgson Names 23 Man Squad For Euro 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.