Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,893 members, 7,817,628 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? (5358 Views)

Student Or Skilled Migrant To Canada: Which One Should I Go For? / Studying In The UK Or Canada, Which Is Better? / From Uk To Canada,which Way? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by SADLily: 8:51am On Jan 30, 2010
Hello! I have a little dilemma that I need people's advise. I am planning to go to study abroad in around September and I have not applied yet so I have to get a move on but I am torn between UK or Canada.I am 19 and I want to pursue a degree in IT then eventually my Masters. I got my Diploma in Malaysia in a Canadian course.To be perfectly honest I would love to work and live there (Canada/UK) after my studies and I am not planning to go back home any time soon (just my decision). I am leaning more towards UK because I love the history, culture and weather of UK but I also heard the living expenses are very high (taxes) compared to Canada and it's very cramped. But I also heard Canada offers very little jobs to immigrants but the crime rate is low and it's very clean and you get a work permit after you complete your studies or something like that? Living abroad is not easy- I cant claim to know because I have barely lived there much but I have heard/seen horror stories. I would rather try now when I am young, rather when I have kids and married and have all sorts of commitments. What country should I choose? A place which is easier to immigrate and make a decent income? I cant decide, would people chime in please? It would be even more helpful if I got info from some one who has schooled there?
Thank you
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by mcnepow(m): 10:49am On Jan 30, 2010
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by symbian03(m): 3:12pm On Jan 30, 2010
Canada is good but the tuition rang btw 9-19k CAD. Per annum or two semesters precisely. And most schools only permit to work within the campus unless you get a work permit. Canada can be really tough for you if you aren't got no good sponsor who's gonna fund your tuition,feedings, accommodation etc. Let someone else add their ideassmiley
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by SADLily: 4:58pm On Jan 30, 2010
Thanks for your response symbian03, yes i have heard Canada is very expensive sad and my parents are the ones who are sponsoring me. So it wont be easy for them considering my bro also wants to go study abroad.
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by Hotstepper(f): 6:23pm On Jan 30, 2010
Between Canada, UK and US, Canada has the cheapest school fees and foreign student friendly
plus, you r allowed to work on campus but can work outside campus after you must have completed 2 semesters
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by SADLily: 6:45pm On Jan 30, 2010
Really? So UK is more expensive then Canada? undecided
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by Hotstepper(f): 2:18am On Jan 31, 2010
Yes, UK is more expensive, if u bought sumthing for 2 pounds in UK, its 4 dollars in Canada, most times higher depending on da market
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by symbian03(m): 1:25pm On Jan 31, 2010
@ Hotstepper are you in CA?
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by joxiri: 1:44pm On Jan 31, 2010
sadlily
  uk is more expensive than canada my advise for you is go to canada when you graduate you will have a better chance of becoming a resident in canada than in uk
  but bear in mind canada is very cold, if you search properly you cn find a decent uni in canada for 6-7000 pounds or cheaper whereas in the uk you will have to pay considerably more
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by joxiri: 1:47pm On Jan 31, 2010
you do get a 2 year work visa after you graduate in uk but its very difficult to switch from the 2 yr post study work visa to a proper work permit
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by SADLily: 5:45pm On Jan 31, 2010
Thanks for the info joxiri, I didn't know about that
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by suxes2005(m): 5:46pm On Jan 31, 2010
I fink I'l choose canada,
Though we all av different
reasons for goin abroad,

I mean after grad. So for me
Canada will be berra.

SHALOM
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by joxiri: 6:09pm On Jan 31, 2010
well sadlily u dnt get it automatically u have to meet some requirements but not too stringent
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by lanresz(m): 9:06pm On Jan 31, 2010
Based on your choice of wanting to live in abroad after your program, I will advise you to choose Canada. Tuition wise, Canada is cheaper than UK. In addition to that, after finishing your program in Canada, provided it's not ESL and it's more than 6 months, you will be qualified for a three years open work permit. The immigration law changes often so, I can't guarranttee that after 4 years undegraduate program, the law will still be in effect. The other issue in Canada is that during your 1st 2 semesters you will not be able to work off campus. After the 2 semesters, jobs are not available and in Canada, jobs availability differs from province to province. So, while seeking admission, you may want to check http://www.jobbank.gc.ca for the province with more jobs and for more detail on immigration rule http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp. Another advantage of Canada is that after working for one year full time (I'm not sure if you have to work for one year to qualify) you can apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp. That's my 2 cents.
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by Hotstepper(f): 9:14pm On Jan 31, 2010
@lanresz , good info
hows da weather in Edmonton now?
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by lanresz(m): 9:53pm On Jan 31, 2010
Currently snowing which is normal 4 dis time of the year.
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by SADLily: 10:21pm On Jan 31, 2010
Thank you so much people, u are being very helpful to me! Also this is so off topic but I was wondering if I were to study Business studies if my chances of securing a job will be lowered. I heard that IT and medicine graduates are more in demand than other sectors. So I have decided to do IT(to be on the safe side) but I really would have enjoyed doing something like International Business, Human Resources or Marketing/advertising. What is your take on this issue? What areas seem to be more in demand than others?
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by joxiri: 11:44pm On Jan 31, 2010
you can get any job with what you do but in the Uk there are shitloads of it gaduates men i dnt think it has as much job prospects as it did 6 or 7 years ago
cos right now you can be an it professional without necessarily going to university, samething with hr even though it is in demand, u could do some professional courses and join the Chatered institute of personnel and development (in the context of uk)
so i suppose in summary no course is unique really in my opinion
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by SADLily: 11:53pm On Jan 31, 2010
Thank you for your response once again joxiri and everyone else. I will take close consideration what u told me. I guess I am just anxious and I want to do the right thing. Nothing worse than ending up miserable in a dead end job and living in a place you don't even like.
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by Hotstepper(f): 12:30am On Feb 01, 2010
International Business and HR r excellent courses plus job market too, its beta u do what u have interest in so it will be easier for u to get through, have in mind that u will be paying int. fee so u gotta take every cent like its golden, having said that, u can do a double major say IT/HR or a major and a minor, so u have da 2 courses/degree (dont be scared as doing a double major or a major and a minor will take u da same time to complete if only u were doing just one major) so that if one doesnt work for u, da other will, hope this info helps
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by Hotstepper(f): 12:30am On Feb 01, 2010
@lanresz, yea, its the time, enjoy tongue
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by SADLily: 11:41am On Feb 01, 2010
Wow!You guys have been so patient and helpful I couldn't thank you enough smiley. Now that I have heard your opinions I definitely see that Canada is the better choice. In Canada I am very interested in York University. It offers IT and other business studies so I can major do a double major or minor in IT and business as you guys have suggested. I am not going to put all my eggs in one basket so I think I will apply in other Unis too (like Thompson Rivers University, Bishops). Now I know I am thinking way too head of myself ( cause I haven't applied yet) but I don't want to be stuck in a rock and a hard place but I stupidly forgot to mention that I am currently in Malaysia. I am about to start my degree here ( I wasn't planning on going to Canada/UK due to financial reasons) but now thank to God almighty I got the funds and I think I will cut my studies short here if I get accepted to Canada. But will I be able to apply for a visa in a foreign country? I am a little hesitant, I always apply through agents and the fact that I am in a foreign country (with their student visa) makes me feel like I wont get the Canadian visa? Will I have to go all the way home to apply for the Canada visa? Or maybe I worry too much? embarassed
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by joxiri: 2:01pm On Feb 01, 2010
it is very likely you might have to go back to Nigeria, but still try t see if you can apply from malaysia, a friend whom was in a similar situation in uk had to go back to nigeria to apply for his student visa
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by SADLily: 2:11pm On Feb 01, 2010
Thank you joxiri for your reply smiley
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by lanresz(m): 6:00pm On Feb 01, 2010
You may not need to go to Nigeria to apply for study permit provided you are a legal resident in Malaysia. You can apply in the country or region where you live. I was on working holiday in UK when I applied for my study permit and I applied in London. Since you are a student in Malaysia, I assume you are there legally so, you can apply in Malaysia. For more information check this site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how.asp. If not sure, you may contact Canadian High Commission in Malaysia.
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by lanresz(m): 6:03pm On Feb 01, 2010
@Hotstepper we are enjoying the snow and the cold lol while it last.
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by SADLily: 6:42pm On Feb 01, 2010
All you guys have been so informative, God bless you all. Thank you so much for the info lanresz ,it would be so expensive if i will have to go all the way back home. The link really helped, i got hold of the phone number of the Canadian High Commission in Malaysia and I'll give them a ring.
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by suxes2005(m): 7:45pm On Feb 01, 2010
Hope u guys are not changing
the subject matter?

Canada or Uk which
one to choose plz?

SHALOM
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by Hotstepper(f): 2:07am On Feb 02, 2010
@SADLily, York gat a good business and IT programs
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by SADLily: 7:45am On Feb 02, 2010
I just found out the deadline for York University for international students is 15th February shocked!!I didn't know it was THAT early.OK, now I definitely need a move on,
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by SADLily: 7:56am On Feb 02, 2010
OK, now I read somewhere else it says the deadline for York September intake is 1st Feb cry so that means I'm too late. Darn! I feel so disappointed.
Re: Uk Or Canada?which To Choose? by suxes2005(m): 12:34pm On Feb 02, 2010
SADlilly,

I fink d best fing is to look at dia
site and get infos dia.

Dey might even allow u send in docus
if you are lucky.

SHALOM

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Get To Ikoyi Passport Office From Oshodi / Who Schooled And Worked In The Uk?.how Did You Do It?. / List Of Cheap Hotels In Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.