Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. (4312 Views)

Benin Men To Shave Their Hair In Honour Of Late OBA / Why Do Middle Belt Pple Feel They Are More Of Northerners Than Southerners / Why Do Pple Think You Sound Ridiculous When U Feel Bad For A Criminal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by IBOGIRL1: 4:15pm On Jan 30, 2010
Hi, pple there is dis common occurence in nigeria esp wit d ibos dat demands family members 2shave dia hair wen a family head dies, any idea why dis happens. I've seen pple wit very long n beautiful hair shave, jus because its tradition. Is it compulsory, why n wats d significance of dis norm.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by ifyalways(f): 4:38pm On Jan 30, 2010
IBO GIRL:

Hi, pple there is dis common occurence in nigeria esp wit d ibos dat demands family members 2shave dia hair wen a family head dies, any idea why dis happens. I've seen pple wit very long n beautiful hair shave, jus because its tradition. Is it compulsory, why n wats d significance of dis norm.
I never knew theres a tribe known as Ibos,Its Igbo babe.
@Topic,it might have originated from the bible,the Isrealites put on sackcloth and shave their heads anytime they were mourning.
I dont think its compulsory either.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by abadaba(m): 8:57pm On Jan 30, 2010
@IGBO GIRL, mind you, I did not type Ibo girl.
It is a dying culture in Igboland. However, it is a mark of respect to the departed loved one.
Igbo girl, I hope that helps.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by IBOGIRL1: 9:41pm On Jan 30, 2010
Tanks 4ur corrections, i typed in a rush n didnt cross check very wel. I tink ur explanations make sense, esp dat of ify who tot it originated 4rm d bible after al didnt dem learned profs, say the IGBOS hav thier roots 4rm d middle east.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by GL(f): 9:32am On Jan 31, 2010
is 'ibo' offensive or something? i always thought 'igbo' was a misspelling'.

ifyalways:

I never knew theres a tribe known as Ibos,Its Igbo babe.
@Topic,it might have originated from the bible,the Isrealites put on sackcloth and shave their heads anytime they were mourning.
I dont think its compulsory either.

the bible says something against people shaving their heads when mourning. i think it was one of the laws of moses
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by abadaba(m): 1:56pm On Jan 31, 2010
GL:

is 'ibo' offensive or something? i always thought 'igbo' was a misspelling'.

the bible says something against people shaving their heads when mourning. i think it was one of the laws of moses

Ibo is offensive. The British colonial masters spelt Ibo instead of Igbo. Reason because they do not have 'gb' in their alphabet. But the British have left since 50 years, so the destiny of Igbo people (Ndigbo) is in their hands.
Please show respect to Ndigbo by spelling Igbo. Thanks.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by Abagworo(m): 3:28pm On Jan 31, 2010
i dont see anything wrong with igbo being spelt ibo because we all know what was meant.okpara can also be opara just like nwagbara can be wabara.mourning of the dead is a mark of respect and show of grief.it can be done by any form of deprivation.in my hometown it is the opposite.you grow hairs for some months of mourning after which you are allowed to shave if you like.nowadays it is not compulsory but i will personally mourn if i lose any loved one.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by abadaba(m): 3:42pm On Jan 31, 2010
Abagworo, you again.
Can you also spell Obama as osama. It is morraly wrong to intentionally spell someone's name wrongly. Once again, it is Igbo.
At poster, it is no longer mandatory to do so in Igboland of this modern era.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by Abagworo(m): 7:36pm On Jan 31, 2010
abadaba:

Abagworo, you again.
Can you also spell Obama as osama. It is morraly wrong to intentionally spell someone's name wrongly. Once again, it is Igbo.
At poster, it is no longer mandatory to do so in Igboland of this modern era.

dont get your logic.i however maintain my statement.both spellings of igbo are rooted in roman writing,the 'gb' is a letter agreed upon to represent that deep 'b' sound by a commitee.it is a thing of choice to use the one you agree.i use igbo as my choice.chuku,chukwu,enugu,enugwu,nwogbo,nwobo are examples.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by fingard02k(m): 7:56pm On Jan 31, 2010
I have heard the reason once but i havent thou not clear to men.The person said that 'the reason why people esp women but thier hair (in Igbo culture) is to seperate the dead from the living or to stop the dead from visiting the family'
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by ChinenyeN(m): 11:47pm On Jan 31, 2010
abadaba, Abagworo has a point is what he's saying about the spelling.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by abadaba(m): 12:55am On Feb 01, 2010
Abagworo:

dont get your logic.i however maintain my statement.both spellings of igbo are rooted in roman writing,the 'gb' is a letter agreed upon to represent that deep 'b' sound by a commitee.it is a thing of choice to use the one you agree.i use igbo as my choice.chuku,chukwu,enugu,enugwu,nwogbo,nwobo are examples.
There is no point turning a simple logic upside down. Which commitee are you talking about?. Is there any committe with more powers from Ndigbo to develop and promote Igbo culture more than the SOCIETY FOR PROMOTION OF IGBO LANGUAGE AND CULTURE (SPILAC). The society for the promotion of Igbo language and culture since 1972 has maintained that Ibo is wrong.
I have personally being to Ahiajoku lectures and other Igbo seminars, yet no one there uses Ibo or agrees that Ibo is correct.
Abagworo, I know you are from Amaigbo axis. Can you change it frpm Amaigbo to Amaibo?.
IGBO kwenuooooo!.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by abadaba(m): 12:59am On Feb 01, 2010
ChinenyeN:

abadaba, Abagworo has a point is what he's saying about the spelling.
Nonye, I understand you studied Igbo in secondary school. In any of your Igbo classes, do you spell Igbo or not. There have never been any Igbo teacher who spells Ibo. It has always been IGBO.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by Abagworo(m): 7:29am On Feb 01, 2010
@abadaba.sorry i'm not from amaigbo axis nor am i from isu axis.what i'm saying is that we had only nsibidi as a form of writing and it was the whiteman that introduced this method we are using now.in yoruba for example poju is pronounced kpoju.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by abadaba(m): 11:06am On Feb 01, 2010
Abagworo:

@abadaba.sorry i'm not from amaigbo axis nor am i from isu axis.what i'm saying is that we had only nsibidi as a form of writing and it was the whiteman that introduced this method we are using now.in yoruba for example poju is pronounced kpoju.
I hear you my brother, but Yoruba people will not spell Yoruba or Yorugba Joruba. Why must the case of Ndigbo be different.
I have been to World Igbo Congress as well as Ahiajoku lectures, and all the emphasis is on Igbo and not Ibo.
If Igbo intellectuals who have spent over 25 years of their research on Igbo language and culture says Ibo is wrong, why do some stubborn nairalanders continue to insult the Igbo race?.
Once again, we are Igbo people or NdiIgbo not Ndibo. Respect bros.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by ChinenyeN(m): 5:32pm On Feb 01, 2010
abadaba:

Nonye, I understand you studied Igbo in secondary school. In any of your Igbo classes, do you spell Igbo or not. There have never been any Igbo teacher who spells Ibo. It has always been IGBO.
I never went to school for Igbo, but I understand what you're saying. It is written as I[gb]o to account for the deep 'b' sound (as Abagworo stated), because that's what a group of people agreed on. Had we used a different writing system (or orthography) though, things would be different. That's what Abagworo is getting at (if I'm not mistaking). So, for example, someone who didn't go to school to learn Onwu orthography (contemporary Igbo spelling), but can speak fluently, would still type "Ibo/Ebo" (because he/she is limited by the Roman alphabet), while still understanding that when pronounced the "b" isn't 'normal'. It is just like how we know that the "r" in "ura" (sleep) isn't 'normal'. Yet we still write "ura", because we're limited by the Roman alphabet.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by AndreUweh(m): 10:53pm On Feb 01, 2010
Enough is enough.
It is a little bit understandable when non-Igbo people write Ibo instead of Igbo.
But it is a foul play and mischievous for Ndigbo to write ibo.
Our ambassadors, please represent well.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by IBOGIRL1: 12:41am On Feb 02, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Enough is enough.
It is a little bit understandable when non-Igbo people write Ibo instead of Igbo.
But it is a foul play and mischievous for Ndigbo to write ibo.
Our ambassadors, please represent well.
Yeah andre i tink u're right. Enough is enough. Its IGBO n not Ibo. Its understandable wen nön igbos write ibo but 4 ndigbos, its a no no. I tink it should b spelt correctly regardless of any roman or brithish writins or sounds.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by AndreUweh(m): 12:53am On Feb 02, 2010
@Poster, It shall be well with you.
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by AndreUweh(m): 12:54am On Feb 02, 2010
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by mamagee3(f): 12:54am On Feb 02, 2010
Cause of some senseless tradition and culture. sad
Re: Why Do Pple Shave Their Hair 2 Mourn D Dead. by IBOGIRL1: 1:00am On Feb 02, 2010
Andre Uweh:

it shal b wel wit u also. Goodmorning

(1) (Reply)

Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? / Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? / Translate This Yoruba Sentence Into English

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.