Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,381 members, 7,861,052 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:22 PM

My Take On Restructuring - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Take On Restructuring (558 Views)

Sheikh Gumi To CJN: Leave Sharia Alone, Talk About Restructuring / Again Osinbajo Tackles Atiku On Restructuring / Don't Take Our Silence On Restructuring For Granted - Northern Senators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Take On Restructuring by Chukazu: 12:36pm On Jul 05, 2017
Going by the recent clamoring from different parts of the country for a complete restructuring of the country, I have always wondered what exactly we hope to achieve by such exercise?

With due respect to the opinions of all, I hereby propose a way forward.

POLITICAL REALIGNMENT
Our over bloated political system is totally none sustainable, we must as a matter of urgency scrap the current system of the NATIONAL ASSEMBLY ;it's of no benefit to an average Nigerian going by the budget we spend on each member of the assembly,the nation of Senegal just disengaged it Legislature and we certainly can do better

A) lawmaking should be voluntary, anybody that cannot volunteer to make law without been paid is not worthy.. Currently Nigerian lawmakers are the highest paid in the world
The present system is too lopsided and unjust, I mean a situation where two states from the North have more house of representatives members than the entire South East region can not stand

B) talk about been worthy... How do we justify individuals (Our legislatures) who have never been to law school, making laws for trained lawyers((the judiciary) to interpret

PRESIDENCY
We must devolve power from the executive to the states or regions as the case may be
Our presidency should be largely ceremonial

A) out of the six geo-poilitcal zones, let's experiment with a single president ably assisted by" five vice presidents "from the five remaining geo-political zones to address the constant cry of marginalization, I mean each region in Nigeria can stand alone as an independent nation, so why don't we give everyone a say and a sense of belonging?

B) the current" four years of two terms " is way too much, why don't we do a" five years "single term for our political office holders ?
Anybody that cannot make an impact within five years tenure is already a failure so why dash someone eight years to waste

INEC :
Our major problem as it relates to elections lies with INEC.
to have a competent and credible elections,firstly we must make politics totally unattractive... Have always imagined what would happen if we tell all our politicians to go ahead and become president, governors, Senators, local government chairman; without collecting salaries, how many of them would still come and tell us they want to serveundecided
therefor their interest lies in what they are gaining

INEC must have the option for independent candidates, I mean if someone is required to pay as much as 5 million Naira to buy a party form for gubernatorial election, how do we expect such individual not to steal and recover his money

A) politicians should have the least pay of all public office holders

B) our politicians should have no access or power over the treasury

C) once it approaches time for elections; every political office holder, from president to local government chairman should resign from office three months to election date and a caretaker interim leaders be appointed to serve for the period of election so as to avoid the "power of incumbency" which has bedeviled our polity, that is how it is presently done in Sri Lanka

* MINISTERIAL CONDUCT
No public officials, especially ministers should be allowed to send their wards abroad for studies (they will be forced to modernize education system)

No public officials be allowed to use generator as alternative power source (no choice but to make our epileptic power work)

No official be allowed to get treatment abroad regardless of the illness

* ECONOMY

Stop every exploration of crude oil and focus on human capital development.. Invest in ICT, the nation of Isreal is making more than Twenty billion dollars annually from technology driven start-ups, second only to the Silicone Valley in the US while the likes of oil rich Saudi Arabia is struggling to restructure it economy due to heavy drop in crude oil prices

We need to build at least one Mega City for each geo-political zone; that was the initial plan between world Bank and federal government, which obviously started with Lagos but currently no one knows what happened to Ibadan, Enugu and Kano that were supposed to commence after Lagos
That is the only way we can address over dependence on Lagos with unbearable "rural urban" drift
With the rate of wide economic gap between the North and the South, am actually scared we don't become like North Korean /South Korea example.. The South has built and modernized it economy but the North Koreans have become a constant terror treat, always threatening the South with missile and Even Nuclear weapons, it already happening with BOKO HARAM ...

So for our economic managers, it behooves on them to implement an all inclusive, all in compassing economic policy so that Lagos doesn't become a center of excellence while the rest of the nation wallow in poverty

RAILWAY TRANSPORTATION
Total overhaul of our Railway system, with speed train instead of the Locomotive train currently on ground, I mean someone should be able to live in Ibadan and be coming to work in Lagos on board a train that would spend nothing more than 1hr/30 minutes to two hours

* INDUSTRY
Every Geo-political zone should have a FREE TRADE EXPORT PROCESSING ZONE that is not based on politics but purely on comparative advantage, to avoid the type of "AJAOKUTA EXPERIENCE"

* POWER GENERATION :

The concept of "national grid" should be totally expunged from our system
Every state should set a target of nothing less than 1, 000 MEGA WATTS of electricity generation, within a five years meticulous planning- starting with yearly 200MEGA WATTS, with that in less than ten years we have more than 30, 000, MEGA WATTS from 36 states... This is no rocket science naa

Cc:Lalasticlala, Mynd44

Cc:TheAlchemist, Markfemi2, Beta things.
...wa yah sey?
Re: My Take On Restructuring by lharstborn(m): 12:46pm On Jul 05, 2017
Watch out..this "RESTRUCTURING" mantra will be used by the politicians to hoodwink Nigerians come 2019.

Re: My Take On Restructuring by mrnigerdelta: 1:15pm On Jul 05, 2017
u never talked about resources
Re: My Take On Restructuring by Chukazu: 1:41pm On Jul 05, 2017
mrnigerdelta:
u never talked about resources

I don't know the resources you meant, but if it is natural resources that we are used to, I did say that we should focus on harnessing our abundant human resources and forget about oil for time been.

Our greatest resources is not oil, but people

(1) (Reply)

Let’s Build A Society That Will Make Our Talents Blossom…peter Obi. / Photonews: Is APDA Also PDP? / Nigeria Air Force Acquires New Air Craft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.