Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,684 members, 7,823,929 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:40 PM

6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates (14722 Views)

Benefits Of Joining A Digital Marketing Course For Your Career Building? / 6 Useful Tips For Finding Your First Accounting Clients / Amazing Career Building Tips For Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by metroblogger: 12:58pm On Jul 05, 2017
Building a career can be exciting, it can also be stressful and sometimes frustrating. Having the knowledge of what to do right when building a career can help to significantly ease the whole process. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 6 useful career building tips for graduates.

Start Building Your Network Early

Remember the age old saying, ‘It’s not what you know, but who you know’. While this doesn’t prove true every time, there is a still a truckload of truth in it. As a young graduate, it’s important to start building your professional network early. Make connections with people, whether physically or on social media, get their contacts, relate with them and see where it leads you. Also, be willing to reciprocate any help you intend to receive from these people, so you won’t seen as self-serving.

Build Your Career on What You’re Passionate About

The honest truth is that your interest in whatever you’re not passionate about will fizzle out sooner than you expect. Yes, initially the business might be bring in money and keep you satisfied for a period, but soon after you’ll become tired, restless and eventually go in search of career fulfillment. So why don’t you just start early? Find what you’re passionate about doing and learning, figure out how to monetize it and build your career around it. But if it’s money that you’re passionate about, then by all means, you’re free to go after it. The crux of the matter is for you to build your career around whatever you’re passionate about.

Find The Right Company

It’s a well known fact that because of the employment situation in Nigeria, trying to be patient enough to search for the right company to work for might be impractical, but you should try as much as can to do so. This is because finding the right company to work for, goes a long way in helping to build your career in the corporate world, especially if you don’t intend to become an entrepreneur. You don’t want to end up working for a company that will waste the best years of your corporate life without impacting your life, helping you grow or expand your opportunities in any way. Making the mistake of working for such a company can unfortunately end up being irredeemable, so you need to be careful to find and choose the right company to work for.

Don’t Let Failure Devastate You

You just shouldn’t. This is because as you build your career many doors will be shut against you before one opens, and this doesn’t mean you’re not good enough or you’re a failure, it just means that you should learn from your mistakes, get better and keep trying until you breakthrough (and you’ll learn that eventually, you will breakthrough). As long as you keep trying, no matter how many doors are closed against you, not all doors will; if you don’t give up, a door will eventually be opened to you. It’s just a simple fact of life. So, perseverance, grit, determination and commitment are very vital to building a successful career.

Have a Plan

How can you build something without a plan? That question sums it all up. Even though things might not or most likely will not work out exactly according to your plan, have one nonetheless to guide you. You can make adjustments to the plan as life happens, but don’t abandon having one. There is no way to successfully build a career without a plan.

Have a Support System

Whether family or friends, have trusted loved ones that will make up a support system to help encourage you when things inevitably get tough. This will go along way in helping you keep your footing, continue moving forward and successfully build your career even when things get tough. If you’re not good at discerning those you can trust, then hire a career coach or psychologist to help you with this. You can also consider seeking help from religious support systems, if you’re comfortable with it.

http://www.metronaija.com/2017/07/6-useful-career-building-tips-for.html

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by RexEmmyGee: 2:16pm On Jul 05, 2017
First to comment. 5g network na baba
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by Churrgift(m): 2:16pm On Jul 05, 2017
Make sense.. Cool
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by mayoor15(m): 2:16pm On Jul 05, 2017
Good write up
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by deepwater(f): 2:16pm On Jul 05, 2017
Op it might be difficult to fulfil all your requirements under this Nigeria's temperature, concentration and pressure even with constant volume of graduates..... lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by Chibyko(m): 2:16pm On Jul 05, 2017
Hmm
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by NwaAmaikpe: 2:16pm On Jul 05, 2017
shocked

OP stop deceiving them,

If your star is bright... You'd have a successful career.
If its not, no tip on earth will give you a career let alone successful career.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jul 05, 2017
The only useful tip is locating a family member at the coffer of power who is willing to help or else you'll jonz in Nigeria

btw, I wan sell muscle o

Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by joiful(f): 2:20pm On Jul 05, 2017
Sometimes and especially in this our Nigeria, building a career on what you are passionate about doesn't usually follow through for everyone.

Some people are left with no choice but to do anything legitimate that brings money to the table.

1 Like

Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by juxtabayano(m): 2:22pm On Jul 05, 2017
The race is not to the Swift nor the battle to the strong but time and chance happens to them all

4 Likes

Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by temmypotter(m): 2:24pm On Jul 05, 2017
pray. hustle. pray
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 05, 2017
deepwater:
Op it might be difficult to fulfil all your requirements under this Nigeria's temperature, concentration and pressure even with constant volume of graduates..... lipsrsealed

Seriously speaking

1 Like

Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by Tungbaro: 2:34pm On Jul 05, 2017
OP your No. 3 tip gat me thinkin coz i'm wasting the best years of my corporate life already without any impact.....Dunno my career is not just growing after 10 years of graduation....Pls help
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by Barzinime(m): 2:37pm On Jul 05, 2017
Lol..You are a typical Nigerian

You don go Cele taya

cheesy cheesy cheesy
embarassed
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

OP stop deceiving them,

If your star is bright... You'd have a successful career.
If its not, no tip on earth will give you a career let alone successful career.
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by fait10(m): 2:38pm On Jul 05, 2017
RexEmmyGee:
First to comment. 5g network na baba
Go find job. If u know see come and be my house boy[size=8pt][/size] shocked
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by jericco1(m): 2:45pm On Jul 05, 2017
The tips are really nice expecially where it concerns connection.
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by Structuralman: 3:18pm On Jul 05, 2017
And develop yourself too while on the job. Go for relevant trainings and certifications.
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by jdstunt(m): 3:28pm On Jul 05, 2017
Good
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by Kayceenaz(m): 3:58pm On Jul 05, 2017
joiful:
Sometimes and especially in this our Nigeria, building a career on what you are passionate about doesn't usually follow through for everyone.

Some people are left with no choice but to do anything legitimate that brings money to the table.

Dear friend, that it "doesn't usually follow through for everyone" does not necessarily translate to an external cause as the clog in the wheel. A lot of Nigerians today just don't understand how pivotal it is to premise their career on passion, hence they jump on the bandwagon of "going for the money." Their individual inauntheticity is visible in the "follow-follow" mentality they peddle and patronize. Even the ones with a more favourable room to do the needful do not avail themselves of it. Although external factors may impel one to go for the money in the beginning, opting for one's passion not too long after shouldn't be negotiable.

Going for a career that imbues one with enthusiasm heralds excellence, success, and impactful contributions to that sphere of endeavour as well as humanity. For a moment, imagine if Chimamanda Adichie had continued with studying Medicine, would she be as significant and renowned as she is today? The bottom line is that so many persons in this part of the world strangely find refuge in underscoring socio-economic factors for not being decisive, foresighted, and more sagacious in career choice. That is an anomaly!
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by Sleyanya1(m): 3:59pm On Jul 05, 2017
Helpful tips @ OP,

We just do the best we can & be hopeful

But Finally, na God hand everything dey,
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by ayamprecious: 4:24pm On Jul 05, 2017
Find a support system, I tot u mean

Oxygen, hypertension drugs and wheel chair because the situation in this damn country fi kill una
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by Laxy009(m): 4:27pm On Jul 05, 2017
Nice one
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by joiful(f): 4:58pm On Jul 05, 2017
Kayceenaz:

Dear friend, that it "doesn't usually follow through for everyone" does not necessarily translate to an external cause as the clog in the wheel. A lot of Nigerians today just don't understand how pivotal it is to premise their career on passion, hence they jump on the bandwagon of "going for the money." Their individual inauntheticity is visible in the "follow-follow" mentality they peddle and patronize. Even the ones with a more favourable room to do the needful do not avail themselves of it. Although external factors may impel one to go for the money in the beginning, opting for one's passion not too long after shouldn't be negotiable.

Going for a career that imbues one with enthusiasm heralds excellence, success, and impactful contributions to that sphere of endeavour as well as humanity. For a moment, imagine if Chimamanda Adichie had continued with studying Medicine, would she be as significant and renowned as she is today? The bottom line is that so many persons in this part of the world strangely find refuge in underscoring socio-economic factors for not being decisive, foresighted, and more sagacious in career choice. That is an anomaly!

I'm not disputing the fact that we should follow our passion when choosing our career, there are lots of Nigerians who know what they want, but I just wanted the OP to also know that it ain't that easy in this part of the world.
Thanks for your own view, I totally understand you
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by ultimategos(m): 5:23pm On Jul 05, 2017
Nice piece
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by RexEmmyGee: 5:46pm On Jul 05, 2017
fait10:
Go find job. If u know see come and be my house boy[size=8pt][/size] shocked
Lol.currently recruiting graduate with masters degree if you are interested

1 Like

Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by Optimist88(m): 8:54pm On Jul 05, 2017
I have been thinking about this 3rd point of yours, my job now makes me feel like a failed man. I feel depressed whenever I'm going to the office, no joy whatsoever.
When I say office, I mean a visitor's room in my boss's house, when I say my colleague(s)...I mean just one person who I met there and has been working for the man for almost 5yrs (I just clocked 1yr today) and still on a 60k salary while the annual income of the company is not less than 100million.
We are just 3 in the company but with strong name in public procurement. I serves as an Admin Officer, company's driver, sometimes Secretary I mean all other positions in an organisation apart from CEO.
I work straight from 8am - 5pm, leave home around 7am and back around 6:30pm.
No time to look out for something better rather than all these online applications because he's always with us! Talk to us anyhow, he must always give instruction before we do anything, treat us like a scum, and sleeps with minimum of 3 girls (our so called gfs) in a day right in the house! I'm also the one to pay 5k into those ladies accounts.

No career prospects!
No time!
Salary less than 60k in Abuja!
Not getting younger!
First born with 4 other siblings! Hope you understand
16k for tfare every month
Savings goes for Rent!
AND IF I QUIT.........ONE CHANCE!

I wish I can wake up tomorrow and tell him I'm done with his company!

I just need God!
Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by generalmike1759(m): 12:40am On Jul 06, 2017
Optimist88:
I have been thinking about this 3rd point of yours, my job now makes me feel like a failed man. I feel depressed whenever I'm going to the office, no joy whatsoever.
When I say office, I mean a visitor's room in my boss's house, when I say my colleague(s)...I mean just one person who I met there and has been working for the man for almost 5yrs (I just clocked 1yr today) and still on a 60k salary while the annual income of the company is not less than 100million.
We are just 3 in the company but with strong name in public procurement. I serves as an Admin Officer, company's driver, sometimes Secretary I mean all other positions in an organisation apart from CEO.
I work straight from 8am - 5pm, leave home around 7am and back around 6:30pm.
No time to look out for something better rather than all these online applications because he's always with us! Talk to us anyhow, he must always give instruction before we do anything, treat us like a scum, and sleeps with minimum of 3 girls (our so called gfs) in a day right in the house! I'm also the one to pay 5k into those ladies accounts.

No career prospects!
No time!
Salary less than 60k in Abuja!
Not getting younger!
First born with 4 other siblings! Hope you understand
16k for tfare every month
Savings goes for Rent!
AND IF I QUIT.........ONE CHANCE!

I wish I can wake up tomorrow and tell him I'm done with his company!

I just need God!
My brother, one of the major set backs people suffer in life is as a result of being afraid of leaving their 'comfort zone'. Take that bold step, walk up to him and tell him you are leaving. If you succeed without him trying to persuade you not to leave, then you should go home, take a cold bottle of your favourite drink. Take your time and decide what direction you want to go next, map out a plan and give it a shot. It will surely be well with you when you do.
Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by kec0001(m): 9:32am On Jul 06, 2017
Very interesting one, you are on point. Career building is very necessary for survival. When you have skills that others need then you are good to go. Which means they will always need your service which is to be paid.

Learn something you have flair for, skill won't kill. There a lot for you:

-Social media Marketing
-Digital Media Marketing
-3D Animation
-Video Editing
-Graphics
-Photography
-Web Design and Development
-Phyton
-Mobile App IOS
-Web Javascript
-Web Application Code Igniter
-Web App Laravel
-Mobile App Android

Check my signature for contact details!

Re: 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates by kec0001(m): 11:19am On Jul 06, 2017
Structuralman:
And develop yourself too while on the job. Go for relevant trainings and certifications.

Boss! there are some certifications that are not relevant too. I have HSE level 2 & 3 but have not make good use of the skill because i'm not employed where skill is highly needed. I have not achieved anything reasonable from it only that i handle stuff carefully.

I mean simple skills that are practicable even someone did not employ you, a skill that will fetch you money at your convenient and open door you. Check us for any of this training:
-Web App Development
-Mobile App Development
-Digital Media Marketing
-Photography
-Motion Graphics
-3D Animations
-Video Editing
-Graphics Design
-Web Design and Development
-Phyton
-Web App Laravel
-Mobile App IOS
-Web Javascript

Learn any of this skills and your life will never remain the same. I am a witness!!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Industrial Training Attachment/siwes / Advice An Intending Freelancer / What Career Track Are You On?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.