Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,450 members, 7,812,377 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:27 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1128) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2050193 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1125) (1126) (1127) (1128) (1129) (1130) (1131) ... (1685) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by deking(m): 9:34pm On Feb 20, 2022
For most good brands an 2*100Ah with a DOd of 50% would give you 1200W. This is on the assumption that the battery doesn't get recharged in between usage.

Based on this you need to audit your power usage and check how many watts your entire load is per time. This will help you appreciate what is going on. I always advise people to include Solar in any inverter installation as this is Nigeria and we all know that there are no guarantees for power supply which is required to charge the battery reasonably.

Trust you will figure out what is happening and maximize your investment.

Michaelondon53:
Good morning everyone. I don’t know what to say actually because i am speechless, angry and unhappy
Got these so called two (2) brand new AGM batteries in December (100ah each) 1kva psw inverter and two (2) Of fairly used 180wats solar panels connected in parallel. The batteries have NOT been giving me the value for my money... with just 1 led tv of 75wats in which i still often activated the power saving energy on the tv and also reduced the contrast and brightness of the tv to 5% which made the tv backlight so deem just in the effort to save energy. Also I have 5 led bulbs of 5 wats each with just 2 constantly on and the other 3 on at intervals and off almost immediately after usage. I also have a 12v dc standing fan which I normally turn on at lowest power speed just to save more power.

Amidst all these my strategies of minimizing power usage. What I just get from my 200ah battery in total is 5hrs on a full charge. I.e my loads include 12v dc fan at lowest speed, two 5wats bulb constantly on and the other 3 5watts bulb on at interval ( total interval bulb-on time do not exceed 45mins within the 5 hrs being supplied by the batteries. And 75 watts led tv( with energy server on and both brightness, contrast and backlight reduced plus inverter standby energy consumption which is 3% total % shown on the inverter when all this loads above are on range between 10% -12%( this is plus inverter standby every consumption inclusive).
The two batteries connected in parallel will then run for 5 hrs between hours of (8pm -1am) (which are the time I do switch on the inverter.) running from 13.1 - 12.1v or 12.0v in which I immediately switch it off so as to maintain 50% depth of discharge.

Is this normal?

Due to my curiosity, last night I disconnected one of the 100ah batteries and connected the other one just to know how long each 100ah would give. Low and behold. With that same exact load it gave me 2 hours (I.e. 10pm -1am ) battery running from ( 13.0v - 10. 9v) before the inverter came out screaming like a mad dog. The loads on the inverter read 10% (with inverter standby energy consumption inclusive)

Calculating it this should be less than 90watts of a 1kva inverter becos 1kv inverter are not properly sized they are often between 800VA and 850VA so 10 % of 850 is around 85wats to 90wats as load consumption. How come will 100ah now give me just 2hours on a full charge starting from 13.0 or 12.9

Please gurus in the house kindly help me join mouth for this matter. I swear I don tire ! You remarks-advise and troubleshooting skills would be highly appreciated. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by smallsmall: 12:11am On Feb 21, 2022
Bolatitodavies:
Plz can i chat you up on whatsapp? Abeg b4 they send me go village, i dont know the model hes willing to give me oooo but he stood on 5kva for 500k+

For the sake of Openness, l think the person you are chatting-Up should also let you know that he is a SELLER of the same Product he is talking to you about.
There is something they call "Conflict of Interest", which may come up in such discussion.
He should have issued a CAVEAT earlier.

BTW: a Phocos 5KVA Hybrid Inverter costs around #500K. It can be Paralleled (expanded, if the need arises).
There are prices of 7KVA upwareds on this thread, if you read back pages or go to the websites of the Dealers/Manufacturers

Just be careful, so you dont enter Express unknowingly.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by smallsmall: 12:33am On Feb 21, 2022
bigrovar:

I don't think you are going about this optimally. I scanned through your message and I still did not find why you are upgrading. Why do you need a 7.5kva inverter?

Then your inverter should be sized to be able to operate at about 30% capacity when you turn your load. Over sizing inverter besides being a waste would also put a heavy idle load on your battery.

Very good submissions.

samnaija:
Thumbs up ,to u guys. He should probably focus more on generating energy. Invest in more panels and expand. No point jumping into 7.5kva .
Expand your solar arrays, this way you will eventually be more self reliant , without grid or generator..

At 1000 average load capacity.
If Inverter is to be at 30% of load capacity at full load, that means inverter should not be about 4KVA.
With Inefficiency of Inverter, Power Consumption of Inverter and Power loss in Wire during transmission, l think we are already looking at 5KVA.

But like someone said a few pages past, over-sizing is also a Key factor, to have rest of mind in RE.
You oversize your Panels, to cater for charging batteries as well as day-time loads, bad weather, dust, etc.

Same way you over size Inverter to cater for expansion due to changing/increasing needs (I dont know if it is easier to want to re-sell an Inverter you bought a few Months ago, so as to add money to whatever you get from such resale, to buy your current need, ...compared to over-sizing the Inverter by a few KW in the first place. Most 2nd hand sales are usually at a loss to the Owner!)

Even Batteries, if not for Cost, should be oversized to cater for days when it will be very cloudy for a whole day and you will need to use your battery for two or three days running, without adequate charge.
Well, this is just how l look at it.

Someone once said OVERSIZING is your safest Bet in RE and l agree with that person.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 3:52am On Feb 21, 2022
blockgeek69:
I recently installed a solar inverter system with the following setup:

1. 4 solar panels (each 300watt) = total 1200watt
2. 24v inverter system
3. 2 units of 230amp battery
4. 60amp PWM charge controller

My load at max capacity is 500 watt and could go as low as 300watt during midnight hours.

But I noticed that my battery charge depletes faster than its charging, is it supposed to be so? What i mean is, my battery could be 26v after fully charged with no load, but after 4 hours of use, it falls down to 24.5v even when the solar panel is still charging the system.

So I am beginning to wonder if this is normal or there is a problem with my system configuration or the charge controller itself since i am using a PWM cc.

Please gurus in the house, i need your input.

A lot of variable goes into solar panels that could be the problem. One thing seem show though. You are not generating enough and your load is still too high. Both side of the equation needs attention.

On the generation side, you have a 1200w panel. But how much generation do you have on a daily. What is your peak generation and how much average daily generation. Most modern controllers have some form of logs that allows you to check their daily harvest. You might also want to check that the controller is doing in peak sun hours of around 11:20-13:00. Let us start from there before we move on.

500w is too much load for a 1200w panel. Remember that you have to generate to meet your day load and change the battery over night.
Standard installation planning requires you to account for losses (Heat, wiring and lack of optimal panel positioning losses). As a general rule, it is good practice to derate your panel by 25%. That is assume 30% of your rated panel capacity would be lost during the harvest.

Using the figure you posted 1200w * 0.75 - 900w
Multiply that figure by 3 or 4 hours (Depending on your location and the number of good solar sun hours you get in a day) Don't be tempted to use high figures because this is about planning and it is ok to be a bit conversative especially as you account for rainy months.

I would use 4 sun hours.

900 * 4 = 3,600wh or 3.6kwh. This is the average daily yield your panel should have. It can be higher on a good day and for a well installed system but just slightly.

Your battery is a 5kwh bank

Your daily usage is from your post of 500w daily and 300w night load. Your night load is already about 3600wh. You are barely able to change the over night load if you don't use the system during the day.

When you add 500w on the system during the day, you have nothing left to charge the battery.

recommended course of action. Reduce your load (the cheaper and best option)
Or increase your panels. You would need an additional 3kw panel array to meet your current usage.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by deking(m): 6:34am On Feb 21, 2022
Well detailed but the computation for the solar yield is too idealistic. This is why many clients over expect, installers over promise and at the end disappointment sets it.

The NOCT yield of most solar panels is practically around 19-35%.

This implies that that 1200W setup would at best give him 500W consistent generation for 4-5 hours.

bigrovar:

A lot of variable goes into solar panels that could be the problem. One thing seem show though. You are not generating enough and your load is still too high. Both side of the equation needs attention.

On the generation side, you have a 1200w panel. But how much generation do you have on a daily. What is your peak generation and how much average daily generation. Most modern controllers have some form of logs that allows you to check their daily harvest. You might also want to check that the controller is doing in peak sun hours of around 11:20-13:00. Let us start from there before we move on.

500w is too much load for a 1200w panel. Remember that you have to generate to meet your day load and change the battery over night.
Standard installation planning requires you to account for losses (Heat, wiring and lack of optimal panel positioning losses). As a general rule, it is good practice to derate your panel by 25%. That is assume 30% of your rated panel capacity would be lost during the harvest.

Multiply that figure by 3 or 4 hours (Depending on your location and the number of good solar sun hours you get in a day) Don't be tempted to use high figures because this is about planning and it is ok to be a bit conversative especially as you account for rainy months.

I would use 4 sun hours.

900 * 4 = 3,600wh or 3.6kwh. This is the average daily yield your panel should have. It can be higher on a good day and for a well installed system but just slightly.

Your daily usage is from your post of 500w daily and 300w night load. Your night load is already about 3600wh. You are barely able to change the over night load if you don't use the system during the day.

When you add 500w on the system during the day, you have nothing left to charge the battery.

Or increase your panels. You would need an additional 3kw panel array to meet your current usage.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by alstacs(m): 6:46am On Feb 21, 2022
deking:
Well detailed but the computation for the solar yield is too idealistic. This is why many clients over expect, installers over promise and at the end disappointment sets it.

This implies that that 1200W setup would at best give him 500W consistent generation for 4-5 hours.

This 19 to 35% sha, sending shivers down my spine! A lot of people complain about this and the conclusion they get from experts is that there possibly was deliberate wrong labeling of the panels by vendors.
An example is a labeled 330W panel that is in actual fact 260W but they label it so to put a higher cost on it.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by deking(m): 6:47am On Feb 21, 2022
Lots of Hybrid 5KVA cost 500k plus especially the European or American brands. You may get some Chinese brands for lower.

Bolatitodavies:
Yes my load less than 1000w, why i asked was cuz i feel my technician wants to charge high for 5kva when the money is sufficient to buy 7.5kva. Is there any 5kva hybrid that costs 500k+?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by gadgetplanetng: 7:06am On Feb 21, 2022
I agree wit this

deking:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 7:28am On Feb 21, 2022
smallsmall:

For the sake of Openness, l think the person you are chatting-Up should also let you know that he is a SELLER of the same Product he is talking to you about.
There is something they call "Conflict of Interest", which may come up in such discussion.
He should have issued a CAVEAT earlier.

BTW: a Phocos 5KVA Hybrid Inverter costs around #500K. It can be Paralleled (expanded, if the need arises).
There are prices of 7KVA upwareds on this thread, if you read back pages or go to the websites of the Dealers/Manufacturers

Just be careful, so you dont enter Express unknowingly.
seller of which product pls? u really believe his technician is actually offering him a growatts ES, phocos or deye? btw, i no longer have any 48v hybrid inverter for sale at the moment and no where in any of my post did i offer to sell him an inverter. i have always try to make him understand that he dont need any 7.5kva or even any upgrade, until he upgrades his panels and batteries first. lastly we are yet to chat. wink cheers.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 7:41am On Feb 21, 2022
[quote author=blockgeek69 post=110397388]I recently installed a solar inverter system with the following setup:

1. 4 solar panels (each 300watt) = total 1200watt
2. 24v inverter system
3. 2 units of 230amp battery
4. 60amp PWM charge controller

My load at max capacity is 500 watt and could go as low as 300watt during midnight hours.

But I noticed that my battery charge depletes faster than its charging, is it supposed to be so? What i mean is, my battery could be 26v after fully charged with no load, but after 4 hours of use, it falls down to 24.5v even when the solar panel is still charging the system.

So I am beginning to wonder if this is normal or there is a problem with my system configuration or the charge controller itself since i am using a PWM cc.

I guess your batteries are tubular. If it's, then worry less as this issue has been discussed here repeatedly.
Tubular battery experiences sag voltage..

After floating, say 13.3v or thereabouts and the charging source is removed, it will rapidly dro to 12.6v or 12.7v with no load. This is the normal float range for most of the tubular batteries. From here, it will start to drop slowly depending on loads placement.

My advice for you: Try and charge the battery to float stage first. Place loads of about 300 to 400va during the day (when the sun is still smiling). When the sun is off (after removing the charging source), reduce your loads to about 120va or less ( this may be your night loads).
From the time the charging source is removed and light loads are placed, start monitoring your battery voltage drop. If you see 12.1v or 12.0v in the morning, then you're good to go.
Again, focus more attention on load management. Do not overwork your two batteries.... 100 to 120va night loads will keep your battery alive for long.
I used 4 x 230ah and my night loads do not exceed 120va.

ENJOY YOUR INVESTMENT

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 8:43am On Feb 21, 2022
Hello guys,

Please I am interested in joining the Lithium cells group purchase. Please add me on 09083748635.

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by blockgeek69(m): 9:16am On Feb 21, 2022
bigrovar:

I would use 4 sun hours.

Thank you. I find this really helpful.

One more thing, my battery was drained over night to 11.1v before the alarm came up. I read that this is really bad for the battery life.

Is there a way to set it to start the alarm once the battery reaches 11.5v or higher?

The picture below is the inverter I use.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by gadgetplanetng: 9:41am On Feb 21, 2022
This inverter looks like a huge load already

blockgeek69:

Thank you. I find this really helpful.

One more thing, my battery was drained over night to 11.1v before the alarm came up. I read that this is really bad for the battery life.

Is there a way to set it to start the alarm once the battery reaches 11.5v or higher?

The picture below is the inverter I use.

8 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by deking(m): 9:44am On Feb 21, 2022
For original brands it is clearly stated what the efficiency is and what you should expect to extract from the panel.

Any 330W panel you extract 260W from consistently is a good solar panel.

Remember the full wattage of the panel is computed using the operating maximum parameters so you can never get those values consistently for a prolonged period.

alstacs:

This 19 to 35% sha, sending shivers down my spine! A lot of people complain about this and the conclusion they get from experts is that there possibly was deliberate wrong labeling of the panels by vendors.
An example is a labeled 330W panel that is in actual fact 260W but they label it so to put a higher cost on it.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by blockgeek69(m): 9:49am On Feb 21, 2022
gadgetplanetng:
This inverter looks like a huge load already

Please speak in simple terms, I am new to these inverter things. I only installed my 2.5kva last week
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by blockgeek69(m): 10:11am On Feb 21, 2022
Please house, is there to set my inverter to start the low battery alarm at $11.5 v instead of the current 11.1v
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 10:29am On Feb 21, 2022
blockgeek69:

Please speak in simple terms, I am new to these inverter things. I only installed my 2.5kva last week
he simply mean, that it is likely to have a very high self consumption.(consumes so much power just for being on and inverting).

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by blockgeek69(m): 10:36am On Feb 21, 2022
Okay, I understand
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 10:38am On Feb 21, 2022
blockgeek69:
Please house, is there to set my inverter to start the low battery alarm at $11.5 v instead of the current 11.1v
u can order a low battery voltage disconnect board from Aliexpress, as i dont think your type of inverter can be set as u wish.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:31am On Feb 21, 2022
XH M611 on AliExpress if on a budget.

Victron Battery protect if you have a fat wallet.

Victron BMV if you want monitoring as well.

Most of these options you are using them to send a signal to activate/deactivate a relay/contactor coil to cut off the inverter AC output.

blockgeek69:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:35am On Feb 21, 2022

Most of these options you are using them to send a signal to activate/deactivate a relay/contactor coil to cut off the inverter AC output.

blockgeek69:

Valto:
u can order a low battery voltage disconnect board from Aliexpress, as i dont think your type of inverter can be set as u wish.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:06pm On Feb 21, 2022
FLASH SALE!!

GROWATT 5000 ES 48v HYBRID INVERTER FOR SALE!!!

GROWATT 5000 watts 48v ES (100a / 450 VOC 6000w inbuilt MPPT) under warranty with its accessories up for SALE "Worked just once as project sample" ...

Condition: Minty new shape . Enclosed in its carton with all accessory & warranty

For further enquiry & purchase;
Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL LINE: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: http://.us/w/?c=a46ea5

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by blockgeek69(m): 12:12pm On Feb 21, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:

This is absolutely helpful. Thank you
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 12:35pm On Feb 21, 2022
[s] epever 48v 5000w hybrid inverter
fairly used daly 150A 8S smart lifepo4 bms
3A super Capacitor 8S balancer[/s] all sold out. thanks nairaland family cheesy
Brand new SUOER 12V Pure Sine Wave 1500VA inverter 82k
BRAND NEW 50A /60A lithium battery fast charger (adjustable from 2.6v to 15v) 52K and 60k
epever 30A mppt CC Tracer A Series 12v/24v 53k

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by alstacs(m): 2:06pm On Feb 21, 2022
deking:
Lots of Hybrid 5KVA cost 500k plus especially the European or American brands. You may get some Chinese brands for lower.

Zinox Ipower is just about 280k, strangely
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by alstacs(m): 2:14pm On Feb 21, 2022
[quote author=isangjohnson post=110406750][/quote]

For those doing manual settings, at what minimum voltage should the inverter shut down operations and cut off the batteries?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Thunderbolt: 4:56pm On Feb 21, 2022
Valto:
ANERN 24v is not that costly sha he can get it much less than 300k.

Please where can i find this ANERN 24v? I have checked but unable to find it. Could not find Sorotec either.

I came across one proton inverter. Seems to be an Anern clone.
The model number is AN SCI02-PLUS-3500
[img]https://ibb.co/Br30PJZ[/img]

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by deking(m): 5:30pm On Feb 21, 2022
There are inverters and there are inverters.

alstacs:

Zinox Ipower is just about 280k, strangely

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hooryo(m): 6:32pm On Feb 21, 2022
Good evening house..
Please I will like to have a cost estimate and solar analysis to power my room.
TV 145w
Fridge 90w
Speaker 60w
I have 4 bulb
Not sure of my fan’s watt rating..
And also my neighbors use to charge at my side.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by alstacs(m): 7:02pm On Feb 21, 2022
deking:
There are inverters and there are inverters.

LOL
I understand
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by deking(m): 7:45pm On Feb 21, 2022
Good evening sir.
For how long do you intend to power those and how many hours of power do you typically get in your neighborhood. These are important inputs required for adequate sizing unless you want to go the way of budget.

hooryo:
Good evening house..
Please I will like to have a cost estimate and solar analysis to power my room.
TV 145w
Fridge 90w
Speaker 60w
I have 4 bulb
Not sure of my fan’s watt rating..
And also my neighbors use to charge at my side.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1125) (1126) (1127) (1128) (1129) (1130) (1131) ... (1685) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Baker77, HeavenlyBang(m), Parser and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.