Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,956 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1133) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2044918 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1130) (1131) (1132) (1133) (1134) (1135) (1136) ... (1680) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olopan(m): 4:13pm On Mar 03, 2022
A quick wade into your scenario,

your AC - use only with grid power

your freezer - 270W x 6 hrs = 1,620Wh [ day time]

your fridge - 180W x 6 hrs = 1,080Wh [ day time]

only one TV at a time - 120W x 8 hrs =960Wh [ 360Wh/day time & 600Wh/night]

OX FAN replaced by 20W Dc fans x 2 pieces ........ 40W x 18hr = 720Wh [240Wh/day time & 480Wh night]

your laptop - 70W x 6hrs = 420Whr

light and phone charging 7 hours - 70W x 7Wh = 490Whr

night usage = 1,990Whr

Inverter size & battery - 1.5KVA 24V 200Ah

solar panel size - 2400Wp of PV panels

if you work within this sphere of calculations and with grid power supply, you can have 247 power supply & also your fridge and freezer are governed by a timer plug/switch

oliverwrites:
Found this thread via Google. I need a solar system in my house.

I wonder how much it will cost me to get a solar system that will power 1. One 2 hp AC, a deep freezer, one fridge, three TVs, one ox fan, one laptop for at least 16 hours per day.

I have a budget of 750k will this suffice? And with solar do I still need to charge it with nepa or generator? I need a quick answer.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oliverwrites: 4:41pm On Mar 03, 2022
olopan:

OX FAN replaced by 20W Dc fans x 2 pieces ........ 40W x 18hr = 720Wh [240Wh/day time & 480Wh night]

night usage = 1,990Whr

if you work within this sphere of calculations and with grid power supply, you can have 247 power supply & also your fridge and freezer are governed by a timer plug/switch

Thank you for this comprehensive answer.

Can you please put a monetary value to this?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 5:14pm On Mar 03, 2022
samir101ng:

And risk a kazeem solar installer or the time and energy needed to put together and monitor such a system abi ? grin

Bro, it's too much work & time for "me". And there are plenty mainstream consumers like me in the market that prefer an alternative to DIY.

Cost & setup was a major barrier for new entrants tempted to switch over from AGM & Tubular Lead Acid batteries to LifeP04. LifeP0 need a BMS, compression (depends on user), different charging profile, etc. Generally, it needed more attention than the regular AGM or Tubular. With a server rack battery, you have an all in one unit ready to go. It comes with a BMS in built, capacitors and wiring harness for the batteries, bus bars, etc. To put things into context, check out this video for the installation of a 16s LifeP0 280ah EVE battery install https://youtu.be/iUuRRhLegrY. Fam, all this na work nah. Why do all that if i can get the SOK Server Rack Battery and install it good to go. Another context to look at is the price too. The SOK 48v 100ah Server Rack Battery is currently on pre-order for $1,739.99. A battle born 48v battery equivalent will cost you $3,196 at $799 per 12v 100ah a piece. That's a huge cost savings and makes it more attractive to buyers. The SOK also comes with a 10year warranty and its serviceable by the user which means you can replace any faulty cell yourself.

I agree. With mainstream availability comes mass adoption and the market share it commands. DIY while an enthusiastic community has limited market share compared to the main stream. As correctly pointed, as the technology matures, prices comes down and more oem's release products for the market we will see a healthy increase in adoption. Already there is a noticeable drop in demand for battery cells according to Youtuber Will Prowse https://youtu.be/ICPDTq-ePP4 since more companies are releasing complete systems. These server rack batteries can also communicate to your inverters like Victron, Growatt, MPPSolar etc so making it fit into your existing setup. It's a good development for the solar community overall.

Very option comes has a cost, it either cost you in time or in money. Your choice depends on which of those 2 resources you can spare. I chose to go the DIY route for my Lithium migration because it would get be the best bang for my money. It would also allow me to ensure that every component for the system is top quality and best practice is used. I am a handy guy and generally love spending my spare time building something and to my taste as against getting a black box that might be difficult to fix or upgrade down the road.

For SOK is offering shy of 2000k USD for a 4kwh system when for 2500kUSD you can get a good 14kwh DIY battery system with a good BMS. Of cause this route is not for everyone. Not everyone has the time to pure over documentation and guides for building a DIY battery.

In terms of integration, you can easily get a BMS that works with your inverter solar charge controller which essentially allows your DIY battery to be perfectly integrated to the rest of your components. Again it just require a little more time spent going through the documentation.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Timekeeper452: 6:23pm On Mar 03, 2022
olopan:

night usage = 1,990Whr

I am not saying those that already answered me haven’t given me an insight , they truly have and I very much appreciate them, but I like the way you detail your explanation so well which I appreciate so much. Please I don’t know if you can give me a detailed cost effective solution to my question please.

I have four pieces of 150AH Ritar batteries. A 1kva inverter, and it powers my tv , a 90w tv, 40w speaker, dstv , and sometimes a gaming console of about 100w, and I get up to 18hrs with gaming and more than 24hrs without gaming. Now my problem is, power supply has gotten bad since this year and it’s gotten to a point where I stay up to a day without charging due to power failure. I have made up my mind to go solar too, I want to get something that can get my setup online 247 if I want when power supply gets terrible and if power is restored I can charge with it too if I want . What exact cost effective setup would I need as I’m on a budget and what fiscal budget am I looking it? Thank you so much.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by smallsmall: 9:15pm On Mar 03, 2022
MontyNG:

Extremely bad planning for you to run out of juice with a car with 250+ mile range at Full charge. If making Abuja to Kano trip for example, you'll need to look for a good place enroute that you can charge on your overnight stay.

A behaviour and mindset change is def required if you intentionally own an electric car

The bolded is exactly my point!
I drive a Toyota Prius T-Spirit 2012. It is a Hybrid Car and l do drive it from Kano to P.H without a worry on a Full tank.
If it were full Electric, l will need to Sleep overnight somewhere to charge, once the less than the 250 Miles (real Capacity is less) is exhausted along the journey.
Not to mention the danger of staying in Hotels, the need for Special Chargers Accessories/Points, which are not even readily available in Nigeria.
Its is not about attitudinal Change, it is about Available Infrastructure and being realistic.
The Major reason why everyone has not switched to Full Electric, in advance countries, is because of the lack of Adequate Charging Points, how much more in Nigeria. grin

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 9:58pm On Mar 03, 2022
Guys, I am coordinating a group purchase for tier 1 solar panels advertised by a Nairalander. The plan is to make the purchase as a group, get some discount and even cut some costs on transportation. So far, 9 of the Canadian solar panels have been booked, and we intend to begin planning this weekend. Please reach out if you are interested. Thanks

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by MontyNG(m): 11:16pm On Mar 03, 2022
smallsmall:

The bolded is exactly my point!
I drive a Toyota Prius T-Spirit 2012. It is a Hybrid Car and l do drive it from Kano to P.H without a worry on a Full tank.
If it were full Electric, l will need to Sleep overnight somewhere to charge, once the less than the 250 Miles (real Capacity is less) is exhausted along the journey.
Not to mention the danger of staying in Hotels, the need for Special Chargers Accessories/Points, which are not even readily available in Nigeria.
Its is not about attitudinal Change, it is about Available Infrastructure and being realistic.
The Major reason why everyone has not switched to Full Electric, in advance countries, is because of the lack of Adequate Charging Points, how much more in Nigeria. grin

I guess your usecase is somewhat different then. Not a lot of people make these sorts of 250+ mile journeys. Any interstate journey I need to make past lagos to ibadan, I'll rather charter a car. Instead of subjecting my own car to bad road conditions and the wear and tear that is associated with that.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samir101ng(m): 9:37am On Mar 04, 2022
saint2ace:
Good afternoon all, please who has dealt with solar depot before, are they really a biz or individuals with an "I don't care attitude to customers"?

How can I make an order and not get a notification from the seller, not even an email; I called over the weekend and no one took calls nor bothered to return calls on resumption of duty, I still continued to call only to be told item is out of stock and they will issue a refund.
3days later their chat to ask for location that's already in the order form and when asked for update, a supposed "customer service representative" replies that am I asking questions cos she buzzed to ask for location? shocked shocked All these cos I brought biz to an entity?

Please is this their modus operandi or this is just a freak occurrence from the blues.

I await responses........

Sorry to hear about your poor experience with them. Poor customer service training is a recurring issue for the majority of Nigerian businesses with owners always wailing about how employees are killing their businesses for them without putting in the effort to treat paying customers with respect and courtesy. Another major issue also with Nigerian businesses is the issue of availability of stock and current prices. A lot of Nigerian businesses operate e-commerce sites with outdated information. So, an item might be out of stock but you will still see it listed on the site. Or the price has changed and it is when you have payed for an item and expecting delivery that they will start calling you and telling you stories. Personally, i must always call and confirm an order before paying online for a product. Also, always pay into a company account for tracking. Solar Depot appeared to me to be a company that was well put together with a YouTube channel showing their solar installations and not bad looking website. But with this information, i will be more cautious if i have any future dealings with them. I hope your issue gets resolved in a timely manner. You can always escalate the issue to FCCPC if the situation remains unchanged.

7 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 1:19pm On Mar 04, 2022
samir101ng:

Sorry to hear about your poor experience with them. Poor customer service training is a recurring issue for the majority of Nigerian businesses with owners always wailing about how employees are killing their businesses for them without putting in the effort to treat paying customers with respect and courtesy. Another major issue also with Nigerian businesses is the issue of availability of stock and current prices. A lot of Nigerian businesses operate e-commerce sites with outdated information. So, an item might be out of stock but you will still see it listed on the site. Or the price has changed and it is when you have payed for an item and expecting delivery that they will start calling you and telling you stories. Personally, i must always call and confirm an order before paying online for a product. Also, always pay into a company account for tracking. Solar Depot appeared to me to be a company that was well put together with a YouTube channel showing their solar installations and not bad looking website. But with this information, i will be more cautious if i have any future dealings with them. I hope your issue gets resolved in a timely manner. You can always escalate the issue to FCCPC if the situation remains unchanged.

C0ogumuo is the owner of solar depot.
He used to be a regular here, search for his moniker and engage him on this issue. It is quite appalling.

Hope i got the spelling of his monicker.

However for online purchases in nigeria. Try and engage the seller to be sure item is in stock b4 making payment

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 1:31pm On Mar 04, 2022
saint2ace:
Good afternoon all, please who has dealt with solar depot before, are they really a biz or individuals with an "I don't care attitude to customers"?

How can I make an order and not get a notification from the seller, not even an email; I called over the weekend and no one took calls nor bothered to return calls on resumption of duty, I still continued to call only to be told item is out of stock and they will issue a refund.
3days later their chat to ask for location that's already in the order form and when asked for update, a supposed "customer service representative" replies that am I asking questions cos she buzzed to ask for location? shocked shocked All these cos I brought biz to an entity?

Please is this their modus operandi or this is just a freak occurrence from the blues.

I have been purchasing from them since 2015. And they are above board. Sorry to hear about your experience. I will forward this to the owner and their manager. Which location did you purchase from and what did you purchase?

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Solardepot: 4:34pm On Mar 04, 2022
Dear Mr. Ezuruike,

On behalf of Solar Depot Nigeria Limited, I want to sincerely apologize for the negative experience you had with us. I understand that our team was unable to provide the level of service you expected at the moment, It was a case of misunderstanding and miscommunication and this is not typical of us.

We will like you to know that we value all our customers and we are always prepared to give them the best experience which they deserve at all times.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies as we assure you that such an occurrence will not repeat itself.

Thank you.
Solar Depot
saint2ace:

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by saint2ace(m): 6:50pm On Mar 04, 2022
samir101ng:

Thanks for ur response and advice, I got a call from a very nice dude from solar depot, very calm and down to earth asking for availability to deliver the item though with a little increase in delivery fees lolz. I simply asked for a refund jare I no get strength.
Funny enough he called back to waive the extra and insisted on delivering item to ensure customer satisfaction (great customer service) but my mind is made up jare, I no get power; I insisted on the refund.
My apologies to the customer service guy, he was awesome but I just don't like stress.

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by saint2ace(m): 6:51pm On Mar 04, 2022
earthrealm:

C0ogumuo is the owner of solar depot.
He used to be a regular here, search for his moniker and engage him on this issue. It is quite appalling.

Hope i got the spelling of his monicker.

However for online purchases in nigeria. Try and engage the seller to be sure item is in stock b4 making payment

Thanks boss, lessons learnt...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by saint2ace(m): 6:56pm On Mar 04, 2022
chris81964:

I have been purchasing from them since 2015. And they are above board. Sorry to hear about your experience. I will forward this to the owner and their manager. Which location did you purchase from and what did you purchase?

I just ordered from their site so I really don't know the location, but the first lady I talked to said she is in Ibadan but she got informed that the (VE direct to USB cable) was available in the Lagos branch. So I guess Ibadan location then.

Item purchased is the VE direct to USB cable.

Thanks once again... Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by saint2ace(m): 7:01pm On Mar 04, 2022
Solardepot:
Dear Mr. Saint2ace,

On behalf of Solar Depot Nigeria Limited, I want to sincerely apologize for the negative experience you had with us. I understand that our team was unable to provide the level of service you expected at the moment, It was a case of misunderstanding and miscommunication and this is not typical of us.

We will like you to know that we value all our customers and we are always prepared to give them the best experience which they deserve at all times.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies as we assure you that such an occurrence will not repeat itself.

Thank you.
Solar Depot

Thanks for your letter of apology but don't you think you could have sent a private message to either my phone or email, instead of posting a name on a public forum?

I would advise you edit ur post and use my moniker as it is most appropriate.

Thanks once again......

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 7:02pm On Mar 04, 2022
Eazeee:

Do u have 200 watts

No sir.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dishtech(m): 9:20pm On Mar 04, 2022
Dam5reey:

At 24V, Lifepo4 is already below 10%, if you can adjust low voltage warning, if not then you just have to live with it..
He said his system is 8s which means
@100%=29.2, @90%=28.21, @80%=27.36,
@70%= 26.44, @60%=25.52, @50=24.5, @40=23.68, @30%=22.76, @20%=21.84,
@10%=20.92, @0%=20.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 10:40pm On Mar 04, 2022
saint2ace:

Thanks for your letter of apology but don't you think you could have sent a private message to either my phone or email, instead of posting a name on a public forum?

I would advise you edit ur post and use my moniker as it is most appropriate.

Thanks once again......
Are you being fair? You posted your comments on a public forum and you expect a private apology? I guess you never intended to be pleased.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by saint2ace(m): 10:55pm On Mar 04, 2022
chris81964:

Are you being fair? You posted your comments on a public forum and you expect a private apology? I guess you never intended to be pleased.

Lolz, thanks @chris81964 for ur input but I guess u got it twisted, I believe if u're using my personal name, it should be private but if u want it out in the open then use my moniker, that's all I said, please refer to my post again, my issue was posting a name on a public forum, I even gave an example.

Do u think I don't have the names of the individuals I dealt with? Why didn't I mention their names? I don't think it's because am stupid, but sometimes decorum should be a watchword.

Thanks once again for ur input and do have a good night's rest...... Cheers

18 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:55pm On Mar 04, 2022
Dishtech:

@10%=20.92, @0%=20.

effing wrong. for lifepo4 cells, @3v is about 10%, which is same as 24volts for 8s.i set my bms to cut off at 3.05volts, while inverter LVD is 3volts

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toxicbrain: 8:19am On Mar 05, 2022
please i need advice

i plan on installing a 10kva solar inverter setup. can anyone give me an idea of very quality products to use for this. best battery type and all
the guy i contacted uses techfine products which i dont even trust. and an estimated cost of installation
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 9:06am On Mar 05, 2022
Dishtech:

@10%=20.92, @0%=20.

I use the same 8s system, @ 24V, I have less than 10% SOC on BMS..

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 9:07am On Mar 05, 2022
earthrealm:

effing wrong. for lifepo4 cells, @3v is about 10%, which is same as 24volts for 8s.i set my bms to cut off at 3.05volts, while inverter LVD is 3volts

Exactly.. thank you for this, it's what I currently use.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ManAdii: 9:27am On Mar 05, 2022
I've been going through this thread for a while now and I plan on setting up an inverter system. My total estimated load is 1600W and I plan on using lithium battery if possible.
I need advise on the type of inverter to get. I plan on using nepa to charge now but I'll get panels later in the future. Your inputs will be highly appreciated
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:27am On Mar 05, 2022
saint2ace:

i see solardepot has already responded above. i've been doing business with that outfit for several years now.
my second magnum e-panel was bought from them along with my first set of solar roof mounts, tristar mppt-60
charge controller, etc. they're quite friendly and business minded folks overall. i'm sure yours is a one-off
case or maybe the lady at the reception was just having a bad day...

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Moneyboyz: 10:43am On Mar 05, 2022
Hello, I have an electric bike that came with 60v 12ah (12v 12ah X5) SLA battery pack, I want to increase its range but I can't find suitable custom build anywhere online (jiji, olist, nairaland etc).

I need a 60v 25/30ah lithium or lifepo4 with built in BMS, does anyone sell here, I would prefer brand new or custom built with brand new batteries.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Enrythesis(m): 12:02pm On Mar 05, 2022
ManAdii:
I've been going through this thread for a while now and I plan on setting up an inverter system. My total estimated load is 1600W and I plan on using lithium battery if possible.
I need advise on the type of inverter to get. I plan on using nepa to charge now but I'll get panels later in the future. Your inputs will be highly appreciated
mentioning lithium battery means u are looking for the best. get a magnum inverter. I have a magnum inverter that can serve your target load of 1600w
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ManAdii: 12:08pm On Mar 05, 2022
Enrythesis:

mentioning lithium battery means u are looking for the best. get a magnum inverter. I have a magnum inverter that can serve your target load of 1600w
Tell me more about it and the cost
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 2:01pm On Mar 05, 2022
I've got something for you.

Brand New in factory packaging
1kwh Sharp Stoba EA-BA1000 Lithium Battery, 48v nominal, 54.6v full, 20.6Ah ₦155k

Moneyboyz:
Hello, I have an electric bike that came with 60v 12ah (12v 12ah X5) SLA battery pack, I want to increase its range but I can't find suitable custom build anywhere online (jiji, olist, nairaland etc).

I need a 60v 25/30ah lithium or lifepo4 with built in BMS, does anyone sell here, I would prefer brand new or custom built with brand new batteries.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Moneyboyz: 2:18pm On Mar 05, 2022
dapsyra:
I've got something for you.

Brand New in factory packaging
1kwh Sharp Stoba EA-BA1000 Lithium Battery, 48v nominal, 54.6v full, 20.6Ah ₦155k

Oh my god that's so cool, it's just what I wanted.
I wish it's 60v cause it's for an electric motor, this will reduce the speed of I decide to go for it.
48v 20ah would be almost the same as a 60v 12ah at the end of the day.
I may be wrong.

Could you please recommend where I can get the 60v version I would compensate you.
Also are you in Lagos Cause I may consider it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 2:57pm On Mar 05, 2022
I don't know any source for 60v version.

Moneyboyz:

Oh my god that's so cool, it's just what I wanted.
I wish it's 60v cause it's for an electric motor, this will reduce the speed of I decide to go for it.
48v 20ah would be almost the same as a 60v 12ah at the end of the day.
I may be wrong.

Could you please recommend where I can get the 60v version I would compensate you.
Also are you in Lagos Cause I may consider it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:03pm On Mar 05, 2022
Moneyboyz:

You may consider going the DIY route. I have a 48V 10AH battery for my ebike, when I wanted longer range I had to go the DIY route. I sourced 3.2v 22ah batteries from China and upgrade to 48v 22AH...best money I spent. I doubled the range and performance grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1130) (1131) (1132) (1133) (1134) (1135) (1136) ... (1680) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: orkman(m), abbey, kristien4(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.