Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,147 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1498) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2060067 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1495) (1496) (1497) (1498) (1499) (1500) (1501) ... (1692) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 9:24am On Oct 13, 2023
bassdow:

I would be brief because I'm out of time and need get back to work.

Size of cable / wire doesn't necessarily affect current draw much. using properly sized cables is better to avoid wastes of current in form of heat (the wire go dey warm/hot). In fact, my guide is - the Wire is NEVER too thick AS the Thicker, the better.

As for increasing the size of solar panels, if you could afford such, please do because again to me, Solar panels IS NEVER too much. If excess, then less stress is on the batteries during sunny hours.

As for your pumping machine, what exactly are you doing with 2HP pumping machine ? In most residential houses, 0.75HP (less stress for solar system) and 1HP (equally less stress for solar system + PUMPs faster than 0.75HP) is often enough.
I'm sorry but I'm in a hurry to reason so make I allow others add theirs.

General Knowledge Comments
One cheaper way of not spending much on wires, is increasing Voltage, and reducing current. A 12-volts 10A system would require much thicker wires, than when you change it to 24-volts 4A or even 48-volts 4A. Just be sure you know what you doing.

Another CHEAP way of reducing cost of cable is using that Wire / cable used by NEPA / PHCN that draws light from electric pole, to your house. It's made of Aluminum, and costs way too cheap and you could easily buy it in most electrical shops. Except you've got the money, forget Copper wires. Aluminum go serve you Well also with no issue.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 9:31am On Oct 13, 2023
peterpeteru:

I see. I currently have 4 300W solar panels, do I need to add more?

I read somewhere on this thread that transformer based inverters are power hog, that they drain battery juice on their own. Is that true.

It depends not all of them.
We have some of our inverters (3.5kva and 5kva) that consumes 28w to 30w for idle consumption which is good. You can dm for proof.
If u find anyone around 40w too, u r good to go.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by brightk(m): 11:21am On Oct 13, 2023
bassdow:

Size of cable / wire doesn't necessarily affect current draw much. using properly sized cables is better to avoid wastes of current in form of heat (the wire go dey warm/hot). In fact, my guide is - the Wire is NEVER too thick AS the Thicker, the better.

As for increasing the size of solar panels, if you could afford such, please do because again to me, Solar panels IS NEVER too much. If excess, then less stress is on the batteries during sunny hours.

As for your pumping machine, what exactly are you doing with 2HP pumping machine ? In most residential houses, 0.75HP (less stress for solar system) and 1HP (equally less stress for solar system + PUMPs faster than 0.75HP) is often enough.

in your case, would suggest you inbhcrease THICKness of the wire, and also increase size of your Solar panels.

Reason to increase Wire thickness: When you increase thickness of the wire, or can confirm that when it's working, the Wires are not Warm / Hot, then you have eliminated WASTEs and reduced chances of fire accidents.

Reason to add More Solar Panels: With more panels, you get more Voltage and/or Current, hence during sunny hours (during the day), there would be less stress/demands on your battery bank. of course during cloudy annd rainy days, you have lless worries.
Now please ensure you always use MPPT charge controller when ever thhe Size of your Solar panels is much excess relative to battery bank. This is because with PWM, the difference mostly is wasted in form of HEAT, but when paired with a good quality MPPT, those differences ain't just burnt as heat, but converted and fed into the battery. For ma eye, I see PWM as a simple resistor circuit.
lol u get bad mouth. Na really simple resistir curcuit
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sofistcatdmoron: 2:59pm On Oct 13, 2023
odimbannamdi:

Charge each battery to full capacity individually, then test each one at a time using ONLY a 100w yellow bulb connected through your inverter and let's see how long it will last. Preferably, get this type of standalone small digital voltmeter (costs around 1500 at Arena), connect to a battery at a time, during the test to help you see how the battery voltage drops. Independent voltmeter tend to produce an unbiased result.

Also, what kind of inverter do you use? Can you snap it and send to us? If it is a transformer-based inverter (those bulky type that typically has a charging function), there is a high chance that the inverter is also consuming energy while inverting. This could be as high 20/30w, which isn't ideal given the size of your setup.

Meanwhile, please desist from discharging your batteries down to 11.4v. You will kill the batteries before you know it, and considering that they don't look like durable brands. The minimum you should recommendably do is 12.0 (which corresponds to 50% Depth of Discharge [DoD])

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Elcapitan0: 3:59pm On Oct 13, 2023
jonescosmos:

Please read this
I've tried this before coming here with the matter boss, it's not working. The connection flashes for 10 seconds and nothing. The instruction is in both the inverter and CC manual and they didn'tsay what to do if not successful.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oweniwe(m): 4:52pm On Oct 13, 2023
Good pm house. Does the unmatched line mean the panel is defective?

It seems to read fine on the multimeter.

It's sunshine solar 180w panel

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tonididdy(m): 5:21pm On Oct 13, 2023
Hello famz, GD

... I was sent these photos of my CC from home. Blue blank screen.
There were records of multiple lightening cos it rained.

... Are my fears confirmed? If yes, is there a remedy? (Other than full replacement)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 6:10pm On Oct 13, 2023
tonididdy:
Hello famz, GD

... I was sent these photos of my CC from home. Blue blank screen.
There were records of multiple lightening cos it rained.

... Are my fears confirmed? If yes, is there a remedy? (Other than full replacement)
Disconnect any terminal of both pv and battery let it go off completely den reconnect.
It will come up.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by princely009: 6:20pm On Oct 13, 2023
Thanks. I plan to do both tho but one needs to come first due to limited funds at the moment.
Dam5reey:

Increase cable, energy saving is better than energy generation
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by princely009: 6:23pm On Oct 13, 2023
Thanks for the response. I guess i will do both. But one after the other.
As for my pumping machine, the depth of my borehole is 370FT. So a 2HP pumping machine was recommended.
bassdow:

in your case, would suggest you increase THICKness of the wire, and also increase size of your Solar panels.

Reason to increase Wire thickness: When you increase thickness of the wire, or can confirm that when it's working, the Wires are not Warm / Hot, then you have eliminated WASTEs and reduced chances of fire accidents.

Reason to add More Solar Panels: With more panels, you get more Voltage and/or Current, hence during sunny hours (during the day), there would be less stress/demands on your battery bank. of course during cloudy annd rainy days, you have lless worries.
Now please ensure you always use MPPT charge controller when ever thhe Size of your Solar panels is much excess relative to battery bank. This is because with PWM, the difference mostly is wasted in form of HEAT, but when paired with a good quality MPPT, those differences ain't just burnt as heat, but converted and fed into the battery. For ma eye, I see PWM as a simple resistor circuit.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tonididdy(m): 6:35pm On Oct 13, 2023
dollarnaira:

Disconnect any terminal of both pv and battery let it go off completely den reconnect.
It will come up.

Wawu....worked like a charm!
TysSM
...5years and counting let's go powmr 💪

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bbally: 6:59pm On Oct 13, 2023
princely009:
As for my pumping machine, the depth of my borehole is 370FT. So a 2HP pumping machine was recommended.

Do you stay in eastern part of the nation (Enugu)?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:42pm On Oct 13, 2023
tonididdy:

TysSM

I have the elder bro, MakeSkyblue, that have been in operation since 2014 smiley

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 7:49pm On Oct 13, 2023
Sofistcatdmoron:

50% dept of discharge is not at 12v , onye ara
why the inSult na ?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 9:33pm On Oct 13, 2023
tonididdy:

TysSM

Not all good devices have to be expensive.
This device will not fry even if u disconnect the battery only while pv is connected on a sunny day. Powmr is a true version of durable and affordable mppt.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by garbamaza: 6:29am On Oct 14, 2023
justcallmenuel:
1pcs of 10kwh felicity lithium battery
1pcs of 5kva 48v felicity hybrid inverter
1pcs of 220Ah Amaze tubular battery and 1.4kva nexus inverter ready for delivery to Potiskum, Yobe state.. All thanks to Engr Inuwa Abdullahi for the patronage, God bless you.

Highly appreciated and recommended for others.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 6:47am On Oct 14, 2023
bassdow:
why the inSult na ?

You see say I no answer am. A lot of Nairalanders are frustrated...lol

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 9:09am On Oct 14, 2023
Sofistcatdmoron:

50% dept of discharge is not at 12v , onye ara

Pray tell, what voltage does 50% DoD correspond to? smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 9:33am On Oct 14, 2023
Omo, professors don plenty pass student for this forum o. grin

I have used and installed and worked with "sachet" inverters and "transformer ", I still prefer the sachet ones oh -- atleast for my needs; which include a 1.5hp inverter ac.

I had a sachet inverter that took in water like a fish, dude kept working. I didn't appreciate the hell it went through till the day I was around and there was a storm and I saw how wind blew torrents of rain unto the inverter...I come de feel like one kain heartless installer cry . Infact the two cooling fans died with months apart and I was wondering what was killing them. The inverter overtemp protection worked everytime!!

The only part I miss from transformer types is the ATS, but again I'm probably 95% offgrid, so?

I have currently upgraded to a 5kw sachet but with better protection from the elements, and it's been working 24/7.

Even, if e die e no to cost to replace, compared to the transformer type of same capacity.

PS: I don work with some premium brands too, so I have a little experience of both premium and not so premium and basic.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 9:38am On Oct 14, 2023
tonididdy:

TysSM

Nice.

I wasn't so sure if I liked this product when I used it for a 12v installation; its voltage tracking was just a headache. But I noticed it is more accurate on a 24v system and works wonders.

5 years no be beans, enjoy bro.

I'll advice you stock up a spare. That's what I usually do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 10:34am On Oct 14, 2023
Trippledots:
Omo, professors don plenty pass student for this forum o. grin

I have used and installed and worked with "sachet" inverters and "transformer ", I still prefer the sachet ones oh -- atleast for my needs; which include a 1.5hp inverter ac.

I had a sachet inverter that took in water like a fish, dude kept working. I didn't appreciate the hell it went through till the day I was around and there was a storm and I saw how wind blew torrents of rain unto the inverter...I come de feel like one kain heartless installer cry . Infact the two cooling fans died with months apart and I was wondering what was killing them. The inverter overtemp protection worked everytime!!

The only part I miss from transformer types is the ATS, but again I'm probably 95% offgrid, so?

I have currently upgraded to a 5kw sachet but with better protection from the elements, and it's been working 24/7.

Even, if e die e no to cost to replace, compared to the transformer type of same capacity.

PS: I don work with some premium brands too, so I have a little experience of both premium and not so premium and basic.

Not saying they ain't Strong enough, just that when e [Finally] dies, REPAIRs is difficult, if not almost impossible.

Also, often times, they ain't as Rugged as Transformer Based Inverters. I prefer them for anything <= 2KVa. NowAdays, I break down my energy supplies into modules. That way, Rather than a single 5KVA inverter, I have a series of inverters of varying capacity. Everything less than 1KVA is taken care of by dedicated solution and trust me, a lot of appliances requires way way less than 1KVA and my 32 and 55 inch TVs are among them.

In fact, My laptops and CPUs and FANs, and Desktop monitors and Lights, etc all draws lighht directly from 12-volts supply without any BOOSTing of any kind. Just ensured the 12-volts contains no noise.

Also, a lot of us in here dey talk with neither personal experience, nor background. More like those Tianshi, GNLD, FLP, etc marketers turned doctors wey fit swear on top their wares even when dem never see am in action before.

Also, I'm tempted to ask how the inverter could survive under regular rains entering it ? Abi make I no ask ? or mayBe na water-Resistant ?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 1:43pm On Oct 14, 2023
bassdow:

Not saying they ain't Strong enough, just that when e [Finally] dies, REPAIRs is difficult, if not almost impossible.

Also, a lot of us in here dey talk with neither personal experience, nor background. More like those Tianshi, GNLD, FLP, etc marketers turned doctors wey fit swear on top their wares even when dem never see am in action before.

Also, I'm tempted to ask how the inverter could survive under regular rains entering it ? Abi make I no ask ? or mayBe na water-Resistant ?

Hahaha....it is ok to ask. I myself don't know how it survived, frankly. I would come back from work and see dust mapped with water. So I assumed it was just splashes of rain, until the day I was at home and saw the whole thing. On a second though, maybe some fragile components have a coating to protect them from water splash but not being submerged. I dont know sha....the inverter still works.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 2:04pm On Oct 14, 2023
Trippledots:

Hahaha....it is ok to ask. I myself don't know how it survived, frankly. I would come back from work and see dust mapped with water. So I assumed it was just splashes of rain, until the day I was at home and saw the whole thing. On a second though, maybe some fragile components have a coating to protect them from water splash but not being submerged. I dont know sha....the inverter still works.

if I were you, I wouldn't rest till I have had an understanding of HOW. it doesn't hurt to peep you know.

Would have said it's AirTight, but we know say being TRANSFORMERless, meant it contains lots of MOSFETs and Transistsors, etc and those would have HeatSinks. Even if na Transformer based sef, it still can't be airTight.

If na splashes, that's not much an issue BUT submerged, hmm I...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by gadgetplanetng: 2:19pm On Oct 14, 2023
What's a good 10kv inverter model?
I want to do an installation with at least a 15-20kw LifePo4 pack and panels but I'm not sure what inverter is good at that range.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by gadgetplanetng: 2:29pm On Oct 14, 2023
So far so good this was for me.

I bought this since the other vendors I was chatting with either stopped replying to messages or didn't have this size (I've been chatting with the seller since 2021 without buying anything and always got responses to enquiries)
Paid on Friday, Had it in PH Wednesday.

After mounting, I noticed the charge controller (powmr 60a) at the location was running above 30v even if I set it below 28v so I turned off solar charging till I'm able to stay there and observe.
Even at that, without extra charging, it powers the freezer, fridge, TV and gotv at the location from morning to evening, then TV and gotv from 5pm till 10 with l power left when it's switched off then.
Would update as time goes on.

ameh99:
24v 100AH lifepo4 battery pack ready to leave

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 5:41pm On Oct 14, 2023
bassdow:

if I were you, I wouldn't rest till I have had an understanding of HOW. it doesn't hurt to peep you know.

Would have said it's AirTight, but we know say being TRANSFORMERless, meant it contains lots of MOSFETs and Transistsors, etc and those would have HeatSinks. Even if na Transformer based sef, it still can't be airTight.

If na splashes, that's not much an issue BUT submerged, hmm I...

It's designed to not have water splashed on it...so what do i want to prode for again? Maybe it was sheer luck.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 5:44pm On Oct 14, 2023
Trippledots:

What's the brand ans model?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 8:00pm On Oct 14, 2023
princely009:

The depth of my well is within the same range as yours. I use 1.5HP. You might consider that as well if you don't use it for commercial purposes.

I had a similar problem with the old pump of same 1.5HP capacity. My cable is 2.5mm. It is not ideal but marginally better than yours, but the old pump was consuming about 2.3KWatts. I use a 5kw inverter too.

When the pump died, the new one (Astral) is significantly more energy efficient. It consumes about 1.6KW or so. Also, the power draw is stable.

When the old pump (I don't remember the brand) was in use, its power draw fluctuated (as seen on the inverter and BMS) a lot, ranging from 2000 to 2300 Watts. So I guess the excess power draw may come from your pump as well. That said, you also need to increase your cable size.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 8:18pm On Oct 14, 2023
IYGEAL:

The depth of my well is within the same range as yours. I use 1.5HP. You might consider that as well if you don't use it for commercial purposes.

I had a similar problem with the old pump of same 1.5HP capacity. My cable is 2.5mm. It is not ideal but marginally better than yours, but the old pump was consuming about 2.3KWatts. I use a 5kw inverter too.

When the pump died, the new one (Astral) is significantly more energy efficient. It consumes about 1.6KW or so. Also, the power draw is stable.

When the old pump (I don't remember the brand) was in use, its power draw fluctuated (as seen on the inverter and BMS) a lot, ranging from 2000 to 2300 Watts. So I guess the excess power draw may come from your pump as well. That said, you also need to increase your wire cable size.

For that distance voltage drop is more than 5% using 2.5mm2.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Peterlove11: 9:00pm On Oct 14, 2023
soladavies:
Please, can someone assist me in calculating the power consumption of my freezer. Thanks

1.356kwh......Isn't this on the high side?. Mine consumes less than 0.85kwh in 24hrs

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 9:12pm On Oct 14, 2023
IYGEAL:

When the old pump (I don't remember the brand) was in use, its power draw fluctuated (as seen on the inverter and BMS) a lot, ranging from 2000 to 2300 Watts. So I guess the excess power draw may come from your pump as well. That said, you also need to increase your cable size.

I use Astral 1.5hp, 2.5mm comester, with depth of 177.5ft and Amps draw fluctuate between 8-11amps.

Which inverter do you use?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by solibayo: 10:33pm On Oct 14, 2023
justcallmenuel:
1pcs of 10kwh felicity lithium battery
1pcs of 5kva 48v felicity hybrid inverter
1pcs of 220Ah Amaze tubular battery and 1.4kva nexus inverter ready for delivery to Potiskum, Yobe state.. All thanks to Engr Inuwa Abdullahi for the patronage, God bless you.

Please whats your price for these?

(1) (2) (3) ... (1495) (1496) (1497) (1498) (1499) (1500) (1501) ... (1692) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: HeavenlyBang(m), uctomide(m), frebor(m), compunigeria, saint2ace(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.