Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (152) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2063087 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (1694) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 10:57am On Jul 17, 2016
durodee:

I got it off/ through a friend as left over from a project. Contacted him recently for a friend on this forum. He claimed the panels he has now are not from the same manufacturer but a German company. Efficiency said to be better. Panels 140w @ 70 -75v range. He was not with the exact specifications where he was.Price is high 49k @ 350/watt. He claimed dollar wahala.
My system was thunderstruck a few weeks back and my EP solar 60amps MPPT cc was damaged . My measurements prior to the incident was encouraging. I generated 1.1kw by 10.31am despite the day being a bit cloudy. I am presently using an hybrid system which only calculates instantaneous yield and not total harvest. The performance seems OK but I don't have actual figures.
Sorry about the thunder damage. I appreciate you. Thank you so much for taking time to update me. I want to experiment with them and see if it is an option for our customers in Lagos and Port Harcourt.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 12:23pm On Jul 17, 2016
badaru1:

I have been using this charger for over 5 years without incident. I don't want to believe this charger is not smart, remember it was removed from telecom rectifier. If it's not smart MTN, GLO and other telecom companies that use rectifier are at risk of battery damage. In fact, I use this charger to revive any of my battery that is performing below expectations.

People should not comment without facts

My apologies if I pass myself across as a Guru. I bought two of them with the intention of using them as bulk chargers and I had never tried using them otherwise; I have never attempted to verify the full capabilities neither do I have the technical know-how to do so.
They were bought used and never came with spec sheet.
I am happy with the performance for what I bought them for and like I said before, I will rather have this charger than nothing.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 12:34pm On Jul 17, 2016
temizeee:
long time sir, Sorry for the loss we got the controller the same time back then.... Hw are you connecting the setup now since the cc is now redundant
Thanks Bro! I thought you've abandoned me! grin grin
You know I was into Hybrid system even before I got my first solar panel, so I just switched to hybrid setup for the time being. See instantaneous yield below.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 12:51pm On Jul 17, 2016
durodee:

You know I was into Hybrid system even before I got my first solar panel, so I just switched to hybrid setup for the time being. See instantaneous yield below.
I belive That is an Axpert inverter. Are u using flooded batteries?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 1:04pm On Jul 17, 2016
DUNKA:
I belive That is an Axpert inverter. Are u using flooded batteries?
Though I have 2 flooded batteries, they are not connected to that system. Kindly see the picture of the batteries I connected below. 6 as 24v.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 1:09pm On Jul 17, 2016
durodee:

Though I have 2 flooded batteries, they are not connected to that system. Kindly see the picture of the batteries I connected below. 6 as 24v.
ok then you are fine as the Axpert charging parameters cannot fully charge flooded batteries without a cc.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 3:32pm On Jul 17, 2016
Must Power Star Light inverters;
1kva-12v=80k
1.5kva-12v=95k
3kva(2000w)-12v=100,000
3kva(2000w)-24v=130,000
4kva(3000w)-24v=140,000
5kva(4000w)-24/48=200,000
6kva(5000w)-24/48= 230,000
7.5kva(6000w)-24=250,000

Hybrid inverters with inbuilt PWM controllers
7.5kva-48v=290,000
5kva-48v=250,000
4kva-24v=220,000
3kva-24v=190,000
Hybrid Inverter with inbuilt MPPT control
12KW-48v=870,000

EP Solar 12/24/36/48v 60a mppt(i tracer) solar charge controller @ 140k

EP Solar 12/24v 40a MPPT(a series ep ever) solar charge controller @ 65k

Fangpuson MPPT 80a solar charge controller .....@ 170k

Trojan 12v 205a USA batteries @ 93k...(limited quantity in stock)

Quanta Amaron 12v 200a vrla battery @ 110k

MY HOME poly crystalline solar panels ;
150w @ 40k
300w @ 75k

With 35k , I can offer you the most important pro solar roof mounts including ;
2 qty solar mount rail "4200mm" ,
4 qty rack end clamp,
6 qty mid clamp,
6 qty L feet with rubber & special screw....

Same goes to angle positioning solar kits;
- Adjustable front leg
- Adjustable rear leg
- Rail splice kit
- Grounding lug

*AUTHORISED DEALER PRAGMATIC TECHNOLOGIES*
All our prag / cyberpower products comes with reliable warranty

*AUTHORIZED DEALER INDIAN INVERTERS / BATTERIES ... GENUS , LUMINUOS , EPSILON PRODUCTS*
All our products come with 1 year Warranty

*AUTHORIZED DEALER SOLAR SHOP LTD PRODUCTS*
All our products come with 1 year Warranty

For best affordable prices,proforma invoices valid for just 1 week, contact Smartcell Global Services,Lagos Nigeria. Simply call Sir Frankie "08135031951" for purchase,fast delivery and waybills .. Thanks !!

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 3:55pm On Jul 17, 2016
durodee:

I got it off/ through a friend as left over from a project. Contacted him recently for a friend on this forum. He claimed the panels he has now are not from the same manufacturer but a German company. Efficiency said to be better. Panels 140w @ 70 -75v range. He was not with the exact specifications where he was.Price is high 49k @ 350/watt. He claimed dollar wahala.
My system was thunderstruck a few weeks back and my EP solar 60amps MPPT cc was damaged . My measurements prior to the incident was encouraging. I generated 1.1kw by 10.31am despite the day being a bit cloudy. I am presently using an hybrid system which only calculates instantaneous yield and not total harvest. The performance seems OK but I don't have actual figures.

Was your system grounded when the lightning strike happened ?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 6:18pm On Jul 17, 2016
bigrovar:

Was your system grounded when the lightning strike happened ?
It was. That was the 2nd time in about one year. Initially depended on the house grouding but after the first episode, I decided to reground the whole house AND the solar system separately (making 2 for house and 3rd for the solar setup). I also bought the Midnight solar thunder arrestors (ac/dc) but unfortunately delayed connecting it until this last episode.
I have since connected the DC arrestor BUT made sure no grid (AC) connection to my inverter at all. So there is now two parallel system in the house and not automatic changeover.
I have external charger connected to Gen only.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 7:29pm On Jul 17, 2016
durodee:

abandoned keee grin
durodee:

abandoned keee grin are always a busy person and I don't want to disturb at work, d hybrid setup is getting famous these days n it also save the stress of getting another cc, besides i like them because they give full details of all yr setup...... Is your hybrid inverter integrated with pwm or mppt controller?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 7:31pm On Jul 17, 2016
durodee:

It was. That was the 2nd time in about one year. Initially depended on the house grouding but after the first episode, I decided to reground the whole house AND the solar system separately (making 2 for house and 3rd for the solar setup). I also bought the Midnight solar thunder arrestors (ac/dc) but unfortunately delayed connecting it until this last episode.
I have since connected the DC arrestor BUT made sure no grid (AC) connection to my inverter at all. So there is now two parallel system in the house and not automatic changeover.
I have external charger connected to Gen only.

From all I have read about grounding .. all system in an off grid setup should be connected to the same ground in a process called bonding. Your panels and their frames and your controllers batteries inverters and all appliances in the house should all terminate to the same ground. Grounding separately (again from my readings ) defeats the purpose of creating 1 path of least resistance to ground. Might want to look it up.

I have my system setup this way although the controller and batteries are yet to be connected to ground.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 9:27pm On Jul 17, 2016
Thanks! I will surely do some research. Right now I am surely scared of a third occurrence.
bigrovar:

From all I have read about grounding .. all system in an off grid setup should be connected to the same ground in a process called bonding. Your panels and their frames and your controllers batteries inverters and all appliances in the house should all terminate to the same ground. Grounding separately (again from my readings ) defeats the purpose of creating 1 path of least resistance to ground. Might want to look it up.

I have my system setup this way although the controller and batteries are yet to be connected to ground.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 9:43pm On Jul 17, 2016
temizeee:
abandoned keee ;Dabandoned keee grin are always a busy person and I don't want to disturb at work, d hybrid setup is getting famous these days n it also save the stress of getting another cc, besides i like them because they give full details of all yr setup...... Is your hybrid inverter integrated with pwm or mppt controller?

I have 2. One with pwm 50amp and another with 60amp mppt.
I have a total of 4.5kw panels of Mono 1.53kw, poly 1.04kw and thin films 2.0kw. Five inverters of one 5kw, two 2.4kw, one 1.4kva and one 800va (my backup grin grin), all pure sine wave. Two 60amp 24v external chargers. Three mppt CCs that are alive and well- one 60amp and two 30amp minus the hybrids.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:50pm On Jul 17, 2016
durodee:

I have a total of 4.5kw panels of Mono 1.53kw, poly 1.04kw and thin films 2.0kw. Five inverters of one 5kw, two 2.4kw, one 1.4kva and one 800va (my backup grin grin), all pure sine wave. Two 60amp 24v external chargers. Three mppt CCs that are alive and well- one 60amp and two 30amp minus the hybrids.

Happy Sunday! That's Green energy for you.I never knew you kept the mnspd devices since then, hope the power star light 5kw pure sinewave inverter & other items has been serving real good? we are always here at your service ! God bless

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 11:01pm On Jul 17, 2016
durodee:

AWESOME GREEN 4 LIFE! I'LL PAY A VISIT ONE OF THESE DAYS.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 12:08am On Jul 18, 2016
durodee:

oga shey u no go supply me small light, only u can't finish dis1.
enjoy d green way

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 12:58am On Jul 18, 2016
grin grin grin
Na small small I reach this level o! By the way, the systems are not all for domestic use and I still get plenty plenty Ogas for this forum.

zeestone99:

oga shey u no go supply me small light, only u can't finish dis1.
enjoy d green way

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Monlo(m): 7:24am On Jul 18, 2016
bigrovar:

@bigrovar,if you dont mind sir,i will appreciate a tutorial on grounding a system,just like the video tutorial you uploaded the last time which i have in my archive has really helped.Godbless for keeping this thread growing.Green for lifr.One love all
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oneshowguy: 11:06am On Jul 18, 2016
Battery Condition

This section describes some of the variables used to describe the present condition of a battery.

• State of Charge (SOC)(%) – An expression of the present battery capacity as a
percentage of maximum capacity. SOC is generally calculated using current integration to
determine the change in battery capacity over time.

• Depth of Discharge (DOD) (%) – The percentage of battery capacity that has been
discharged expressed as a percentage of maximum capacity. A discharge to at least 80 %
DOD is referred to as a deep discharge.
• Terminal Voltage (V) – The voltage between the battery terminals with load applied.
Terminal voltage varies with SOC and discharge/charge current.
• Open-circuit voltage (V) – The voltage between the battery terminals with no load
applied. The open-circuit voltage depends on the battery state of charge, increasing with
state of charge.
• Internal Resistance – The resistance within the battery, generally different for charging
and discharging, also dependent on the battery state of charge. As internal resistance
increases, the battery efficiency decreases and thermal stability is reduced as more of the
charging energy is converted into heat
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 11:17am On Jul 18, 2016
Battery that lasts at least 30 years...

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 2:26pm On Jul 18, 2016
@tivta, i was excited for a while till i went to the site and saw the price tag.
almost 2k usd for 1 unit 12v 200ah battery?...u gotta b fxxking kidding me grin grin grin

that kind battery, na only NASA and US military go dey buy am.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 2:37pm On Jul 18, 2016
earthrealm:
@tivta, i was excited for a while till i went to the site and saw the price tag.
almost 2k usd for 1 unit 12v 200ah battery?...u gotta b fxxking kidding me grin grin grin

It is a once in a lifetime expenditure, remember the cost of electricity will keep on increasing, I believe anyone who wants to be independent from public power will save to buy it instead of range Rover or parties...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 2:54pm On Jul 18, 2016
Monlo:

@bigrovar,if you dont mind sir,i will appreciate a tutorial on grounding a system,just like the video tutorial you uploaded the last time which i have in my archive has really helped.Godbless for keeping this thread growing.Green for lifr.One love all

Well there is not much to add about grounding. The idea is to create a path of least resistance for rouge electricity to pass through to ground. Electricity is always looking for ground and always trying to find the easiest part to the ground (ground as in earth) the easiest part is the most conductive. e.g, when you touch a naked electrical wire without proper insulation, lets say you legs happens to be on water and you are not wearing a shoe, once your touch the wire, the electricity would see you has the easiest path to ground (considering the human body is highly conductive being made up of water and all) and pass through your body to ground.

Grounding your system creates a path for this wrong electricity which could come from lightening or electrical leakage or short circuiting of any of your device.. The ground creates an lazy path for them to ground so they avoid passing through your expensive devices and damaging them on their search for ground,

The first step for grounding is getting a grounding rod. Usually a copper coated rod about 6 feet long. You dig a hole about 2 feet deep, always advisable to add industrial salt and charcoal to help with the conductivity of your grounding rod (especially when it rains).

The rod is hammered into the hole where the salt and charcoal has been added.

next it is assumed that the house wiring already bound all the earth wiring from all your socket (The top part of the 3 pin plug used generally in NIgeria) all that earth wiring is bound together in your distribution box and are merged into a single copper wire which should then be connected to the rod you just hammered to the ground (outside your house) Most houses have earth wires and ground rode (although most ground systems in many houses are not active due to the type of ground rode used)

anyway.. once this is done.. all appliances in the house that connects to electrical socket is automatically grounded.

next step is how do you ground your solar setup.

In my case (and am no guru on this subject) My panels are ground mounted not roof mounted. what I did was to connect a 16mm copper wire to one of the legs of the ground mount and have that connected to the ground rod. These ensures my panel mount frame is grounded. (note it is advisable that all metal or conductive materials used in your setup including battery box (if made of metal) should be bonded together and have a wire attached to the ground rod.

grounding your panels,You just take a wire from the negative of your panel and connect to the ground rod, another cable from the negative of your battery should also connect to the ground rod. Edit: Turns out the battery and controller do not require grounding. The grounding of the inverter should suffice. However many documentations including that of many charge controller recommend ground the negative terminal of the battery to ground.[b][/b]

some inverters have ground setup with proper labelling, that also should be added to the ground rod.

in other to avoid a situation where you have wires running to the ground rod, all those connections should be bonded together using something like a combiner box and one cable should then connect to the ground rod.

That is all I know about grounding.

Caveat. I am not an electrician and most of what am saying are based on what I learned from talking to electricians and also from readings. this is by no means meant to be a guide nor should it be taking as one. Best to be used as an aid for further reading and also have basic knowledge of what grounding is about and why it is important.

It would be nice if other gurus in the house can shade light on this issue.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 3:02pm On Jul 18, 2016
Below is the ground for my panel. Don't know if it is adequate will appreciate input.

Also note that some charge controller like epsolar A tracer series have positive grounding hence it is the positive of your battery and your panel in face the positive of your DC component that needs be ground in such a case.

Edit: The epsolar diagram indicate the need for grounding of the controller via the battery.. however has stated below this message. controller and battery grounding is not essential especially if the panels and inverter are well grounded.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Monlo(m): 4:38pm On Jul 18, 2016
bigrovar:
Below is the ground for my panel. Don't know if it is adequate will appreciate input.

Also note that some charge controller like epsolar A tracer series have positive grounding hence it is the positive of your battery and your panel in face the positive of your DC component that needs be ground in such a case.
@bigrovar,thanks alot you must be a lecturer!Infact yoir explanation tells it all.I really appreciate your kind gestures and the manner you have taught so many of here.God bless you really good.
Please for the "corper rod" that is to be driven to earth,can i get it via aliexpress?Moreover i have imported the other stuff already,off which you were of immense help.How i wish other gurus could continue to answer questions like this here,rather than to come advertise products and go.God bless once again.
Not to forget the other gurus contributing immensely to the growth of renewable energy here in this thread:
cc:@DMerciful
etc
Onelove all,the young shall grow.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Monlo(m): 4:39pm On Jul 18, 2016
bigrovar:

@bigrovar,thanks alot you must be a lecturer!Infact yoir explanation tells it all.I really appreciate your kind gestures and the manner you have taught so many of here.God bless you really good.
Please for the "corper rod" that is to be driven to earth,can i get it via aliexpress?Moreover i have imported the other stuff already,off which you were of immense help.How i wish other gurus could continue to answer questions like this here,rather than to come advertise products and go.God bless once again.
Not to forget the other gurus contributing immensely to the growth of renewable energy here in this thread:
cc:@DMerciful
etc
Onelove all,the young shall grow.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 4:48pm On Jul 18, 2016
earthrealm:

you go fear iron cell battery. But seriously I have seen many people using this battery

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 5:21pm On Jul 18, 2016
JUO:
you go fear iron cell battery. But seriously I have seen many people using this battery

In Nigeria? For real? Those are people who know the value of solar energy.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by life707: 8:58pm On Jul 18, 2016
Please do not connect the negative of your panel to ground ooo.
Panels have a hole on the frame for grounding!.

Also do not connect the negative of your battery to ground ooo.
Grounding your inverter covers that.

Positive, negative and earthing terminals all have their separate work.

Let's not get it twisted
My 2cents

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 10:03pm On Jul 18, 2016
life707:

Let's not get it twisted
My 2cents
exactly, the Solar frame is the ground for all solar panel in d universe.
Anyone can confirm this by checking the frame on the back side of their panel,u will definitely see the ground logo there.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 11:06pm On Jul 18, 2016
life707:

Let's not get it twisted
My 2cents

They're two methods of connecting solar setup viz grounded and ungrounded system. Gounded is futher classified into positive and negative grounded systems as stated ealier. Grounded here is not same as bonding metal parts. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages.

In grounded system, (let assume the -ve terminal is grounded, touching the positive terminal of a high voltage string can result in tremendous shock since there's a return path through earth. However, such a system is less prone to damage by lightening since there's a ready path to earth to divert the charges. Grounded system is not suitable for transformer less inverter due to the nature of their internal circuitry.

Lightening current traveling through 1m length of wire induces a voltage of 1kV. For ungrounded systems therefore, surge arrester should be ideally installed close to the charge controller to protect it and additionally close to the panel (across the +be and -ve) to ensure that the lightening does not induce voltage above the limits the panels can withstand (most panels can withstand maximum of 1kV).

N/B 1) in grounded system, one terminal is connected to ground at just ONE point, while in ungrounded system no connection to ground is done - the voltage is floating with respect to ground.
2) the fact that your setup has not been hit by lightening since doesn't mean it cannot be hit tomorrow. Precaution is cheaper than replacement
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 2:31am On Jul 19, 2016
life707:

Let's not get it twisted
My 2cents

Thanks for posting this. My electrician also said the same. So what you are saying is that the grounding of the panel mount covers the panel and the inverter covers the battery and by extension the charge controller. Hmmmm just the basic diagram of my controller stated that the controller is to be grounded via the battery ( from the negative terminal). I guess more reading need be done on this regard.

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (1694) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.