Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,117 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (744) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2063690 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (741) (742) (743) (744) (745) (746) (747) ... (1694) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:10am On May 17, 2020
ceaser:
Bumped into this online.

It looks like this Will's ac on Youtube that he ran for two days on 2.1kwh.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:55am On May 17, 2020
ceaser:

You better sell it and buy a new one. The one I had until about two years ago was also basterdized by "engineer". Something rated for 140 watts now stays on 250 watts. Worse still, it doesn't cool as fast nor hold foods frozen as long. I retired the thing straight. Looking to sell it, it dey one corner as I dey talk.

Sharp sharp I got a replacement 203 Litres that does 114 watts.

Talking about appliances getting faulty, I think I have been worry free for the past four years cos using solar has been able to keep appliances out of harm's way. No stabilizer headache (four of them are lying useless at the moment). The output from inverters are clean with no surges of any kind. All damages to appliances that I've experienced before have all been from NEPA surges and generator surges (especially that "I better pass" when I used it as a stop gap)

Same here, since I got a central stab and solar, at times I just wish I could turn back the clock. My freezer would have survive unfortunately I have not been able to get the same freezer.... I just love the display panel features on the cover. Looks like thermocool discontinued it
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Cassie74: 9:06am On May 17, 2020
ceaser:

I wonder if there is inverter chest freezer too. It'll be nice.

Haier Thermocool has good offerings in their recent chest freezers. They boast keeping foods frozen for up to 72 hrs after power failure. They have fairly good insulation and I've test driven 12hrs power-off with good temperature retention results, as long as the foods are frozen before power outage. Of course, freezer isn't frost-free type.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:18am On May 17, 2020
ceaser:
Bumped into this online.

Buy link?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 9:33am On May 17, 2020
ojeysky:

Same here, since I got a central stab and solar, at times I just wish I could turn back the clock. My freezer would have survive unfortunately I have not been able to get the same freezer.... I just love the display panel features on the cover. Looks like thermocool discontinued it

I feel u on this freezer! Very sensitive to voltage fluctuations, I discovered this late in 2015(bought mine in 2012), the electronic panel at the bottom where the fan is got melted badly! Stopped working. I went to their repair center, and the engineer I met wanted to do Kareem repair(direct connection, I rejected it, and took the freezer back home). I waited for about a year to get the replacement panel. I fixed this panel outside, by the side of the freezer. And it has been working beautifully ever since then(though by d time I got the panel, I was already off NEPA completely). Not by choice, but by force.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:38am On May 17, 2020
Oshomo12:

I feel u on this freezer! Very sensitive to voltage fluctuations, I discovered this late in 2015(bought mine in 2012), the electronic panel at the bottom where the fan is got melted badly! Stopped working. I went to their repair center, and the engineer I met wanted to do Kareem repair(direct connection, I rejected it, and took the freezer back home). I waited for about a year to get the replacement panel. I fixed this panel outside, by the side of the freezer. And it has been working beautifully ever since then(though by d time I got the panel, I was already off NEPA completely). Not by choice, but by force.

Lucky you, unfortunately I don't even have the option even if I get the panel today because the otondo engineer ripped off so many cables.... Been looking for the freezer to buy again before I sell the one with me but no luck thus far
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anjilgreat(f): 11:19am On May 17, 2020
olaolu11:

At bolded. Why? A lady once told me it is not good using stab with generator. That it will spoil the stab bla bla bla. We argued about it and i told her there was nothing of such since I have been using mine with stab. Hearing this again brought it back. Why disconnect before use, pls educate me. Thanks

In my Own case, it was the other way round ; my stabilizer of 2000VA that spoilt my 2.2KVA Generator last year which resulted in spending as much as close to #25,000 in the generator repairs, ranging from coil burn and others faults I can’t remember.

Pls in case you still connect yours to your stabilizer pls stop it now because your generator will suffer it in the long run.

My generator has still not recovered till now despite all the money spent on repairs then because the generator doesn't carry much loads at the same time like before the fault.

My husband would have bought another generator of 5KVA for #150,000.00 since last year so as to use for our fridge and our two LG gencool A/C during low power vottage, but I've always discouraged him because I felt using that money to get solar panels will be more economical and convenient in the long run.

So pls stop it before it will be too late!

CC @ All; Malevonent, hope my decision at the bolded is not out of place? Thanks in anticipation!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olatade(m): 12:08pm On May 17, 2020
justcallmenuel:
Bought from MANUEL SOLAR ENERGY ENTERPRISES, and installed yesterday by one of my experienced engineer... Big thanks to Mr Patrick for the patronage, God bless you sir!

That’s 2 pcs of 200AH, 24v Felicity lithium battery and a 5.5kva, 24v Famicare inverter..

Go Solar...Let the sun pay your bills!!!

How much will this set-up cost me sir?

I'm interested
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 3:54pm On May 17, 2020
anjilgreat:

In my Own case, it was the other way round ; my stabilizer of 2000VA that spoilt my 2.2KVA Generator last year which resulted in spending as much as close to #25,000 in the generator repairs, ranging from coil burn and others faults I can’t remember.

Pls in case you still connect yours to your stabilizer pls stop it now because your generator will suffer it in the long run.

My generator has still not recovered till now despite all the money spent on repairs then because the generator doesn't carry much loads at the same time like before the fault.

My husband would have bought another generator of 5KVA for #150,000.00 since last year so as to use for our fridge and our two LG gencool A/C during low power vottage, but I've always discouraged him because I felt using that money to get solar panels will be more economical and convenient in the long run.

CC @ All; Malevonent, hope my decision at the bolded is not out of place? Thanks in anticipation!

Hmnn. I have been using it with gen for God knows when without hassles. All I know is that if the stab is too "big" it will affect the gen as it will be "overworking". So any stab I use is always "balanced" against the gen capacity. But I am now enlightened. Anyway, since I started using inverter, my two 2000v, one 1000v and one 500v stabs are idle. I don't use them at all.

I think you are right. No investment is a waste. Moreover, why use stab if you are using solar. Eliminate gen totally and you are good to go.
Someone even recommended using central stab. Stab to me is a no, no.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Malevonent: 3:58pm On May 17, 2020
anjilgreat:

yeah, stabilizer introduces an extra inductive load to the generator, a 150w fridge connected to a 1kw stabilizer may have an energy footprint of 250w cos of the stab. if twas a 5kva stabilizer, then the footprint maybe upto 350w 2ndly relay stabilizers are fond of sticking sometimes and shorting out, if this happens while on generator, the fuse breaker in the DB, usually doesnt trip immediately, and the brunt will be borne by the gen. if you are observant, you will notice that the gen sounds different when loaded with fridge plugged to stab.

the beauty of central stab is that its connected directly to your nepa input, so automatically, when you are on gen, its automatically bypassed as well.
in my early days of solar, my tv was connected to a 1kva stab and later 600va ups, it was always a big hassle remembering to disconnect the tv from them when we switch to inverter and reconnecting them back when we switch to nepa, cos then i wired the inverter output like gen input to the house

@ your question, its a wrong comparison though. a 5kva gen can power 1 ac and fridge comfortablly, but 6 panels with your present setup stands no chance of powering 1 AC, so if you guys are a big fan of AC, then wahala dey.

3rdly, if you want to add more panels, you may consider buying these cheap but decent standalone mppt charge controllers like POWMR/MAKESKYBLue 60amps mppt that can take upto 1800w panel @ 24v is about 25k landing cost to nigeria on aliexpress

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 4:09pm On May 17, 2020
mctfopt:

I'll try to answer the question here. There are two reasons for that answer.

1) A stabilizer is deemed an added "unnecessary" inductive load to the inverter.

2) A stabilizer is "unnecessary" as the voltage out of a generator is already stable, unless the generator's AVR is bad. In that case you'll have the replace the generator's AVR.

I hope this clears some of that confusion.

Thanks for the response. You really helped. Now I understand it is "load" issue and nothing else. And is why I always ensure I don't use any stab that will give the gen too much stress. But since I have been on inverter, I have dispensed with stabs
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 4:12pm On May 17, 2020
justcallmenuel:
Bought from MANUEL SOLAR ENERGY ENTERPRISES, and installed yesterday by one of my experienced engineer... Big thanks to Mr Patrick for the patronage, God bless you sir!

That’s 2 pcs of 200AH, 24v Felicity lithium battery and a 5.5kva, 24v Famicare inverter..

Go Solar...Let the sun pay your bills!!!

Will be interested to here the experience of the client, especially whether the LFP has at least 350Ah cumulative
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anjilgreat(f): 4:43pm On May 17, 2020
Malevonent:

yeah, stabilizer introduces an extra inductive load to the generator, a 150w fridge connected to a 1kw stabilizer may have an energy footprint of 250w cos of the stab. 2ndly relay stabilizers are fond of sticking sometimes and shorting out, if this happens while on generator, the fuse breaker in the DB, usually doesnt trip immediately, and the brunt will be borne by the gen. if you are observant, you will notice that the gen sounds different when loaded with fridge plugged to stab.

the beauty of central stab is that its connected directly to your nepa input, so automatically, when you are on gen, its automatically bypassed as well.
in my early days of solar, my tv was connected to a 1kva stab and later 600va ups, it was always a big hassle remembering to disconnect the tv from them when we switch to inverter and reconnecting them back when we switch to nepa, cos then i wired the inverter output like gen input to the house

@ your question, its a wrong comparison though. a 5kva gen can power 1 ac and fridge comfortablly, but 6 panels with your present setup stands no chance of powering 1 AC, so if you guys are a big fan of AC, then wahala dey.

3rdly, if you want to add more panels, you may consider buying these cheap but decent standalone mppt charge controllers like POWMR/MAKESKYBLue 60amps mppt that can take upto 1800w panel @ 24v is about 25k landing cost to nigeria on aliexpress

You're right about the use of stabilizer on generators.

Concerning the use of panels for the A/C, I actually knew that my current charge controller would be too small. That was why I wanted to start with only 600W panels for just the fridge then later get a 60amps charge controller and buy extra panels for the A/C which has an inverter compressor.

But my inverter installer was insisting I start with 1200W panels to start using the fridge only but that will imply going beyond the recommended 600W panels for my inbuilt charge controller. That was why I tried getting a second opinion from you yesterday based on his recommendation. Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anjilgreat(f): 4:48pm On May 17, 2020
olaolu11:

Hmnn. I have been using it with gen for God knows when without hassles. All I know is that if the stab is too "big" it will affect the gen as it will be "overworking". So any stab I use is always "balanced" against the gen capacity. But I am now enlightened. Anyway, since I started using inverter, my two 2000v, one 1000v and one 500v stabs are idle. I don't use them at all.

I think you are right. No investment is a waste. Moreover, why use stab if you are using solar. Eliminate gen totally and you are good to go.
Someone even recommended using central stab. Stab to me is a no, no.
I've not started using solar panels, trying to completely eliminate the use of generators. That is why I was seeking opinion here on how to go about it for a start.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 6:25pm On May 17, 2020
ojeysky:

Will be interested to here the experience of the client, especially whether the LFP has at least 350Ah cumulative
Roughly 1.3m sir.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:46pm On May 17, 2020
justcallmenuel:

Roughly 1.3m sir.

Mine was not about cost but about capacity
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 8:56pm On May 17, 2020
Does anyone have an idea of the power factor of Famicare hybrid inverters? I need it to know the true wattage of the inverter.

I know Luminous inverters have a power factor of 0.8,Mercury modified sine wave inverter has 0.6,Eastman invereter has 0.8,AblePower inverter has 0.56 but I don't know that of Famicare hybrid inverter.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 9:46pm On May 17, 2020
mctfopt:

It looks like this Will's ac on Youtube that he ran for two days on 2.1kwh.

Yeah. I saw that his video on AC. But I believe he ran a bigger AC in the video, I even believe it was a split unit. The one in that picture is a single unit.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 9:57pm On May 17, 2020
ojeysky:

Why not go for the particular lg inverter fridge since there is testimony about it's performance already.

Am angry with LG after i bought their freezer 2 or 3 yrs ago, and the shit is just a glorified cooler.
Been to LG shop twice under waranty repairs but still same story.
Hence why am considering other makes.

Phcn is decent in my place avg of 12hrs daily, so my 4 battery inverter setup is doing quite nicely, should be 4th or 5th yr running on the fla batts.
I now intend to add solar, hence why am considering an inverter fridge that i can afford to keep plugged in 247.
30w consumption of the Lg fridge is superb, would prefer samsung cos of my earlier beef with LG.

My thinking is..since the fridge would be running 247, it being frost free shudnt be an issue again.
My other grouse with normal fridges is that.
Like my old/current HT fridge, its not frost free but the freezer compartment can stay 2 to 3 days of no power and still be cold, however the fridge compartment would be in a sorry state and perishables therein would be in a bad state.
It had a normal 130w consumption till kazeem fingered it, and its now 190w, so i cant afford to put it on inverter 247.the fridge tried though...13th yr now..developed issue in the 12th yr

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 10:00pm On May 17, 2020
anjilgreat:

I've not started using solar panels, trying to completely eliminate the use of generators. That is why I was seeking opinion here on how to go about it for a start.

I can see you hv received sound intel already.
Kudos, rare to see females with decent knowledge /interest in matters like this

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 10:06pm On May 17, 2020
ojeysky:

Buy link?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anjilgreat(f): 10:25pm On May 17, 2020
earthrealm:

J can see you hv received sound intel already.
Kudos, rate to see females with decent knowledge /interest in matters like this

Yes I've received very impt. Information here. Thanks to you all!

Although, I've always had keen interest in electricity related stuffs, the power situation in our country gives us no other option than to think outside the box. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by primefaith1: 11:13pm On May 17, 2020
omotoda:
Does anyone have an idea of the power factor of Famicare hybrid inverters? I need it to know the true wattage of the inverter.

I know Luminous inverters have a power factor of 0.8,Mercury modified sine wave inverter has 0.6,Eastman invereter has 0.8,AblePower inverter has 0.56 but I don't know that of Famicare hybrid inverter.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 11:39pm On May 17, 2020
earthrealm:

Am angry with LG after i bought their freezer 2 or 3 yrs ago, and the shit is just a glorified cooler.

Phcn is decent in my place avg of 12hrs daily, so my 4 battery inverter setup is doing quite nicely, should be 4th or 5th yr running on the fla batts.
I now intend to add solar, hence why am considering an inverter fridge that i can afford to keep plugged in 247.
30w consumption of the Lg fridge is superb, would prefer samsung cos of my earlier beef with LG.
yr

Lucky you with phcn, am surprised that you just want to install solar or do you mean this is for a client?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 4:44am On May 18, 2020
primefaith1:

Great.Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 7:59am On May 18, 2020
earthrealm:

My thinking is..since the fridge would be running 247, it being frost free shudnt be an issue again.
My other grouse with normal fridges is that.
Like my old/current HT fridge, its not frost free but the freezer compartment can stay 2 to 3 days of no power and still be cold, however the fridge compartment would be in a sorry state and perishables therein would be in a bad state.
It had a normal 130w consumption till kazeem fingered it, and its now 190w, so i cant afford to put it on inverter 247.the fridge tried though...13th yr now..developed issue in the 12th yr

Haba! U wicked small o, little wonder we no dey see Nigeria used buy! Go and buy another one joor, u want to use it forever ni.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 8:03am On May 18, 2020
ceaser:

Yeah. I saw that his video on AC. But I believe he ran a bigger AC in the video, I even believe it was a split unit. The one in that picture is a single unit.

The one in the video is not split but window unit.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zellfoxx: 11:21am On May 18, 2020
Good morning all,

I have a brand new Schneider Conext SW 4048 230V and an MPPT 60 150 CC for sale. Both still in original packaging with complete documentation. Proposed project didn't come through so they are back to the market.

Quote this post if interested.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 2:02pm On May 18, 2020
zellfoxx:
Good morning all,

I have a brand new Schneider Conext SW 4048 230V and an MPPT 60 150 CC for sale. Both still in original packaging with complete documentation. Proposed project didn't come through so they are back to the market.

Quote this post if interested.

Egole? How much?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zellfoxx: 3:44pm On May 18, 2020
adrusa:

Egole? How much?

Conext SW 4048 230V -- 630K
Conext MPPT 60 150 CC -- 220K

(1) (2) (3) ... (741) (742) (743) (744) (745) (746) (747) ... (1694) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: jonescosmos, Valto(m), Dam5reey1(m), DaniellaDokubo(f) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.