Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (876) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2070029 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (873) (874) (875) (876) (877) (878) (879) ... (1697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by AshipaEk0: 9:54pm On Oct 18, 2020
ScienceAlert: Etching a Simple Pattern on Solar Panels Boosts Light Absorption by 125%, Study Shows.

https://www.sciencealert.com/checkerboard-design-for-solar-panels-boosts-light-absorption-by-125-study-shows

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Deluxe8000(m): 10:14pm On Oct 18, 2020
ojeysky:

Not at all, you just need to adjust the bulk/float voltages

Since it's a battery that you use daily, trickle charging won't have any negative effect. So you mean your CC bulk/float charging voltages cannot be adjusted? If yes, what's the default bulk/float voltages?

I found it to be quite interesting, like LTO it does not degrade with discharge to zero voltage. Volume, cost and weight will be a deciding factor for me if am to consider both.
1. It is automatic 3 stage digital battery charger

2. For the cc

Battery type Constant voltage Floating voltage
Flooded 14.6V 13.8V
Sealed 14.4V 13.8V
Gel 14.2V 13.8V
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:49pm On Oct 18, 2020
Deluxe8000:

2. For the cc

Flooded 14.6V 13.8V
Sealed 14.4V 13.8V
Gel 14.2V 13.8V

1. Automatic is just a buzz word, can you adjust the charge voltage is the main thing.

2. You can make do with the gel profile even though am not a fan of charging LFP at high voltage.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Deluxe8000(m): 12:49am On Oct 19, 2020
ojeysky:

1. Automatic is just a buzz word, can you adjust the charge voltage is the main thing.

2. You can make do with the gel profile even though am not a fan of charging LFP at high voltage.
1. No i can not adjust the voltage.
2. Ok...............thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 1:09am On Oct 19, 2020
Deluxe8000:

1. No i can not adjust the voltage.
2. Ok...............thanks

1. What's the default bulk/floor of the charger? If it doesn't have that then it's better not to risk putting it on a Lifepo4
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:52am On Oct 19, 2020
ojeysky:

That is what previous users have said about this battery as well. However I don't think it's accurate it say it's 120AH usable. It's actually a 120AH capacity LFP that felicity keeps selling as 200AH, it's very unfortunate!

Can you imagine that 80ah overdeclaration? That's a massive deviation that can not be seen as technical error but as a deliberate attempt at deception. Whether it's the company itself or it's 9ja marketers or both of them that is to be balmed is only left to speculation.

But what kanai say. We are being fed worse with the various brands and generics of LA batteries in Nigeria. It's just sad that a popular brand like Felicity will be at the forefront of this fraud considering the fact that they seem to be the first and only company that's keyed into the LFP segment for Nigeria.

SON is as good as dead and just a money swallowing agency for those in government and their families (GMB is about to create two more from EFCC), so manufacturers keep dumping substandards here.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 5:07am On Oct 19, 2020
adrusa:

By the way, I was banned for my last lengthy post. I have no idea why. My first time of experiencing the dreaded Nairaland erratic banning bots. I hope I wont be banned for this.

The bot that banned you then probably has the "off your mic" matrix in the program. grin

You need the "Sòrò sókè" bot to make lengthy views.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 5:16am On Oct 19, 2020
Deluxe8000:

2. For the cc

Flooded 14.6V 13.8V
Sealed 14.4V 13.8V
Gel 14.2V 13.8V

The Gel setting should suffice for LFP.

Edited: I see Ojeysky has given a response.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 7:36am On Oct 19, 2020
Good morning all which is better two (2) Felicity 200ah (120ah angry) lithium batteries or eight (cool Bosch 12v AGM batteries? Any pointers would be appreciated
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:17am On Oct 19, 2020
DUNKA:
Good morning all which is better two (2) Felicity 200ah (120ah angry) lithium batteries or eight (cool Bosch 12v AGM batteries? Any pointers would be appreciated

2x120AH Lifepo4 is 12.2kwh
8x200AH LA is 19.2kwh

I personally use 80% and 30% Lifepo4/LA
That will be 9.8kwh and and 5.76kwh Lifepo4/LA

[s]You will get more backup time on the LA with occasional options to deep discharge below 30% DoD. In a situation like this I will not go for Lifepo4[/s]. However it seem your budget is 1.5m unless you must buy felicity Lifepo4 otherwise I think you should be able to get about 48v 300AH Lifepo4 with that budget from other coupled local sellers.

Edit: I noticed I calculated for a single 120AH of Lifepo4. So it's clear that even with a Lifepo4 of 120AH it's still better than LA
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:24am On Oct 19, 2020
I agree with GeorgeD1 that 200Ah Lead Acid has far more capacity than 100Ah Lithium of thesame nominal voltage when tested within a proper tolerance for both batteries. This is simply science and cannot be disproven. Energy stored measured as Watt or Amp hours has a very precise meaning that cannot be misunderstood.

Capacity is talking about energy stored and at what rate that energy can be stored and/or used. There is a cycle life attached to 100% DoD on lead acid batteries - you can run a lead acid battery totally flat (I have done so endlessly) and it will not die that day. Just that you will get longer cycle life at 50% or 30% DoD. Most Lithium chemistries 80% to 90% DoD is feasible.

Indeed a C20 12v 200Ah lead acid has about 2,400watt hours of energy stored, that the design is to access only half of the energy stored for longer cycle life does not mean that extra capacity is not there.

Longevity, cycle life, charge efficiency .t.c are different parameters from capacity.

The world is moving towards Lithium now and truly there is a lot of hype and misinformation e.g the myth of regular 100% DoD on Lithium - perhaps few chemistries can do that feat consistently but likely not feasible in a residential or commercial application.

There is also a valid price vs performance tradeoff to be made, some folks just cannot afford to spend that initially higher sum for longer life Lithium and they just have to make do with Lead Acid and swap out at end of life.

ojeysky:

Lithium isn't hype, I have used both lead acid and now lithium and will repeat that it's not hype! it's very misleading to newbies who read this thread because there is more devil in the details when it comes to safe usable capacity threshold of both battery chemistries.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:32am On Oct 19, 2020
So the Felicity is actually a 48v 7.5kwh battery and listed so in their technical specs - I think it is sellers that label it a 48v 200Ah battery as marketing hype.

So it is really a 48v 150Ah battery and you can access about 120Ah.

48v 120 Ah × 2units is approximately 11.5kwh of useable energy.

ojeysky:

2x120AH Lifepo4 is 6.4kwh
8x200AH LA is 19.2kwh

I personally use 80% and 30% Lifepo4/LA
That will be 5.2kwh and and 5.76kwh Lifepo4/LA

You will get more backup time on the LA with occasional options to deep discharge below 30% DoD. In a situation like this I will not go for Lifepo4. However it seem your budget is 1.5m unless you must buy felicity Lifepo4 otherwise I think you should be able to get about 48v 300AH Lifepo4 with that budget from other coupled local sellers.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by wilmaria14: 8:35am On Oct 19, 2020
earthrealm:

Do you have any solar pump of below 350w ac or dc, doesnt matter
1hp is about 900w and 1.5HP is about 1200w full dc and d ones dat dat are ac/dc have a bit high watt so I am not sure sir
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:08am On Oct 19, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
So the Felicity is actually a 48v 7.5kwh battery and listed so in their technical specs - I think it is sellers that label it a 48v 200Ah battery as marketing hype.

So it is really a 48v 150Ah battery and you can access about 120Ah.

48v 120 Ah × 2units is approximately 11.5kwh of useable energy.

I will urge those what have the felicity to open it up, I will be surprised to see a 150AH cell in that thing if it's 150AH then they are not brand new grade A cells. A Lifepo4 battery that discharged down to 48v without BMS tripping cannot still have 30AH of juice left in it. At that point it will have max 5 to 10AH left.

Thanks for bringing to my attention that I made calculation for a single 48v 120AH LFP in my previous post you quoted. Corrected!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:12am On Oct 19, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
I agree with GeorgeD1 that 200Ah Lead Acid has far more capacity than 100Ah Lithium of thesame nominal voltage when tested within a proper tolerance for both batteries. This is simply science and cannot be disproven. Energy stored measured as Watt or Amp hours has a very precise meaning that cannot be misunderstood.

Capacity is talking about energy stored and at what rate that energy can be stored and/or used. There is a cycle life attached to 100% DoD on lead acid batteries - you can run a lead acid battery totally flat (I have done so endlessly) and it will not die that day. Just that you will get longer cycle life at 50% or 30% DoD. Most Lithium chemistries 80% to 90% DoD is feasible.

Indeed a C20 12v 200Ah lead acid has about 2,400watt hours of energy stored, that the design is to access only half of the energy stored for longer cycle life does not mean that extra capacity is not there.

Longevity, cycle life, charge efficiency .t.c are different parameters from capacity.

The world is moving towards Lithium now and truly there is a lot of hype and misinformation e.g the myth of regular 100% DoD on Lithium - perhaps few chemistries can do that feat consistently but likely not feasible in a residential or commercial application.

There is also a valid price vs performance tradeoff to be made, some folks just cannot afford to spend that initially higher sum for longer life Lithium and they just have to make do with Lead Acid and swap out at end of life.

Bros that is the devil in the details that I refer, it's not okay to just say 12v 100AH LA is far more than 12v 50AH Lifepo4, you need to qualify that statement properly like you have done here else that will very well qualify to be a hype!

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 9:51am On Oct 19, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:

This article is a good read, and tackles all aspects of the lifepo4 vs lead acid debate..
I must warn you, its a long read grin..

Peeps averse to long reads can scroll to midway and read only the pros and cons of Lifepo4 battery bank.

https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Brownsona(m): 11:47am On Oct 19, 2020
Good morning everyone
Just thought I should share this...
Going through the Felicity Solar website, I discovered that the package for 150ah and 200ah lithium phosphate batteries are labeled the same. The detail is what separates the two battery sizes.
The batteries sold in Nigeria are the 150ah size. This corresponds with the weight of 68kg on the packaging.
And the price on the website also matches what we are paying...if one factors in the custom charges.
Just thought I should share.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by danowena: 1:27pm On Oct 19, 2020
earthrealm:

This article is a good read, and tackles all aspects of the lifepo4 vs lead acid debate..
I must warn you, its a long read grin..

Peeps averse to long reads can scroll to midway and read only the pros and cons of Lifepo4 battery bank.

https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/

That was a very long one but very educative. wink
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 1:32pm On Oct 19, 2020
AshipaEk0:
ScienceAlert: Etching a Simple Pattern on Solar Panels Boosts Light Absorption by 125%, Study Shows.

https://www.sciencealert.com/checkerboard-design-for-solar-panels-boosts-light-absorption-by-125-study-shows

Thank you for this, guys u need to read this, both fan and none-fan of lifepo4.

you may not finish it in a day, just let it sink.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojesymsym: 1:50pm On Oct 19, 2020
Looks like the sun's trajectory across the sky has shifted a bit by a few mini degrees.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 1:57pm On Oct 19, 2020
ojesymsym:
Looks like the sun's trajectory across the sky has shifted a bit by a few mini degrees.

yes, it is leaving the equator and heading down south, about 23degree.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by danowena: 2:25pm On Oct 19, 2020
ojesymsym:

Na wa o o.. Una dey monitor angle of the sun too. Chaii.. I never even start shocked . You guys are making me look like a vulcaniser that is venturing into aerospace ran by NASA.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 3:50pm On Oct 19, 2020
Brownsona:
[color=#000099][/color]This is a special thank you message to @justcallmenuel for delivering on his promise. I purchased 2# 200ah 48v Felicity lithium batteries from him and he delivered it to Calabar within the time frame he promised...3 days. Please, keep this good customer service relationship alive.

I have done capacity test on the batteries. Here are my findings...

* The two batteries were connected in parallel.

* Batteries were fully charged (there was no further intake of amps as indicated by the coulomb meter)

* All external power sources were isolated.

* Load of greater than 2kw was introduced to the inverter. Inverter cut-out voltage was set at 48.5v.

* After inverter cut-out, the meter readings were:

Voltage: 48.6v

Energy: 12.442kwh (about 6.221kwh useable energy per 200ah 48v Felicity lithium battery)

Amp Hour: 239.7ah (about 120ah useable amps per 200ah 48v Felicity lithium battery)

* It is possible that I could have gotten a little more out of the batteries... But this is where I had the heart to stop.

* Is it wise to put money on this battery as compared to lead acid? I guess it is down to individual preference.

* For me, I am still experimenting... The financial implications of Felicity lithium to lead acid batteries is almost the same.

12# Ritar batteries @120k each cost 1,440,000 naira.
Useable energy cost is 100 naira per 1wh
(3 banks X 48v X 200ah = 28,800wh ÷ 2 = 14,400wh)
1,440,000 naira ÷ 14400wh = 100 naira per wh or 1k per KWh.

2# Felicity 200ah 48v lithium batteries @700k each cost 1,400,000 naira.
Useable energy (based on personal capacity test) cost is 113 naira per wh
(1400000 naira cost of 2# batteries ÷ 12442wh = ~113 naira per wh or 1.03k per kwh.

As I said, I'm still experimenting. Durability and rate of degradation is hanging for now.
Thanks for the patronage sir, do enjoy.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 7:58pm On Oct 19, 2020
5kwh/51.2v at a giveaway
100A charge and discharge continous

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 8:37pm On Oct 19, 2020
JUO:
5kwh/51.2v at a giveaway
100A charge and discharge continous

Please is this LiFePo4?

Can you give a detailed descriptions of parameters?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 9:38pm On Oct 19, 2020
adrusa:
There is nothing anyone can tell me about lead acid batteries that I have not experienced. From huge trailer batteries (my very first batteries) to Trojan premium flooded batteries (my current lead acid bank).
cheesy cheesy cheesy

You remind me of an era I'd rather forget

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 4:40am On Oct 20, 2020
omotoda:

Please is this LiFePo4?

Can you give a detailed descriptions of parameters?
Please is this Lifepo4? Yes
Can you give a detailed descriptions of parameters? You can ask and I will answer you
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 5:42am On Oct 20, 2020
JUO:

Please is this Lifepo4? Yes
Can you give a detailed descriptions of parameters? You can ask and I will answer you

Is it just buy and use?
Does it have inbuilt BMS or there are other things still needed to make it work
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 7:31am On Oct 20, 2020
omotoda:

Is it just buy and use?

It looks like it has inbuilt BMS. Oga juo can give you more details
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by saint2ace(m): 8:25am On Oct 20, 2020
omotoda:

Is it just buy and use?

It looks like a carefully put together bank with breakers and all. I should presume it's plug and play but let's wait for @JUO to throw more light...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 8:51am On Oct 20, 2020
omotoda:

Is it just buy and use?
is stated 100A charge and discharge meaning it has bms of 100A both charge and discharge. Parameters are editable with PC/computer. If you discharge at 100A capacity is 100ah/5kwh. Please note, you will get more when you discharge in lower rate. This is a complete battery, you don't need any other accessories to use it with inverter. Bms has a temperature sensor so issue of fire is almost impossible. It has a software BMS

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (873) (874) (875) (876) (877) (878) (879) ... (1697) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: HeavenlyBang(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.