Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,651 members, 7,816,667 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (886) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2058242 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (883) (884) (885) (886) (887) (888) (889) ... (1691) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 2:26pm On Nov 01, 2020
May God bless you with what you have prayed for this new month, may God grant you with what you couldn’t accomplish last month, may God surprise you with what you least expect this new month, have a blessed month.

MANUEL SOLAR ENERGY ENTERPRISES
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 2:28pm On Nov 01, 2020
100A MUST MPPT charge controller available, #115,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 11:15pm On Nov 01, 2020
Programmable timer available.
Price - 6k
Call - 08117398294
Chat - http:///2348117398294

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 11:18pm On Nov 01, 2020
Epever triron 40amps. Lithium battery compatible. Available now

Price - 75k

Call - 08117398294
Chat - http:///2348117398294

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jhendor(m): 11:28pm On Nov 01, 2020
sathob:
Well, great people of FTA, I think I should start this on behalf of George_D because of the request made by others who have expressed interest in alternate electricity, especially solar energy. Our FTA independence is not complete if we are to suffer frequent power outages and been dependant on the nation’s electricity grid system always. I have read in this house many times, from members “PHCN don go off, so I will track later when they come back”. No one can run away from power outages in the main electricity grid – not even the west, it happens. Hence, we all should have alternate electricity and using renewable energy is, to me, the best. This means one can enjoy their FTA fully by being totally free and not “dom” (dominated).

Look at some advantages
• Lower or no electricity bills
• Compared to generator users, there is no fuel cost and stress of getting it and no fumes.
• People living in the remote locations where power is unavailable or too expensive to hook-up too can have electricity.
Just to mention but a few.

Without going into detail, one can enjoy electricity by means of using solar energy (energy from the sun), wind mill (using energy from the wind). Don’t forget, where there is frequent electricity supply from the utility company, you can store some energy for back up.

You will need the following to complete a solar project or back up.

1. Solar panels
2. Power Inverter
3. Charge controller
4. Batteries to store energy
5. wires and cables
6. Monitors/meters

The solar panel consists of cells called photo voltaic cells and these, covert the energy received from the sun to electricity in simple terms (this electricity is a direct current
d.c). The panels can last up to 20 years plus. The panels can be fixed, adjustable or of the tracking type. You can decide to go for a complete panel from manufacturers (already made) or build panels by yourself using solar cells- the latter is for the hobbyist. The panels are rated in watts eg 80w solar panel supplying 12v continuous at a given time

The inverter
Power Inverters are available in 3 basic designs, two of which I remember very well now – the one that out sinusoidal waves and those that are modified sign wave type (meaning not pure sine waves and do have limits when it comes to its application) . The power inverter converts your storage battery power into the 240 volts AC that runs your appliances. It is the heart of your solar energy system. Unless you only run 12 volt DC appliances you will need a power inverter to supply your AC. This is just the basics.

The Charge Controller
A Charge Controller is necessary to protect the batteries from over charging and supply them with the proper amount of energy to promote long battery life.

Batteries
Without Storage Batteries to store energy you would only have power when the sun was shining. There is a lot more to batteries than just the ordinary car battery. Yo may need to change batteries over the years.

Wires and Cables
Without the right size of cables, you are likely to experience inefficient transfer of power (greater losses) and overheating.

Meters
This is required to monitor the performance of your solar system.

Firstly, it is very necessary to know what gadgets you will be using (eg.tv, sat. receiver) and how long you will use how long you would have them on the solar power and how much energy your battery can store and which solar panel (rating in power) will supply the required energy.

A lot goes into calculating the cost of setting up a solar system. First one has to consider the period of usable sunlight available at their location to do this calculation. For us here close to the equator, we get about 7 to 8 hours or more of sunlight during dry season, just a rough estimate.

How do I know I need 100w or 80w or 300 watts solar panel for my project?

The power consumption of appliances is given in Watts. To calculate the energy you will use over time, just multiply the power consumption by the hours of use.

Eg. If I have 90W tv set which I want to use for 6hrs, 25W satellite receiver for the same period, and a 50W fan for 3 hours. What will be the energy required from the solar panels for the period?

1. the energy for each appliance is Watts x time (hours) = Wh

So, the watt hours for the tv = 90 x 6 = 540 Wh (watt hours)

Watt hours for sat. receiver = 25 x 6 = 150 Wh

Watt hours for fan will be = 50 x 3 = 150 Wh

2. sum the watt hours for the individual appliances ie. 540 + 150 + 150 = 840 Wh (watt hours)

This means that the solar panel will need to supply 840 watt hours of energy to the battery each day to cover the total power required by these appliances.

3. since there are bound to be losses in the system However, to account for natural losses, we multiply the result by 1.2 (this factor allows for natural system losses, assuming 85% efficiency). Therefore, we will assume the panels will actually need to be able to supply a total of
840 x 1.2 = 1008Wh

4. so, to supply 1008Wh of energy the panel we assume to receive 7 hours of sunlight will be rated at 1008 Wh / 7 h = 144W
So, I will need 144W solar panel to supply energy to my appliances above at the given time.

Regarding point 3, it also means, if I have a solar panel rated at 100W receiving sunlight for 7 hours a day, the total energy supplied considering 85% efficiency will be 100x7x0.85= 595Wh and not 700Wh

5. Your battery should be able to store 1008Wh of energy. Since batteries capacities are rated in Ah (Ampere Hours) you need to multiply Ah by the Volt rating to know the Watt Hour. Power(W) = Voltage (V) x Current (I) ; Watt hour = VxIxHour

Therefore Ah (which is I x h) = Wh / V = 1008 / 12 (the number 12 represents a 12v battery)
= 84 Ah

So it means you will need not less than a 84Ah, 12V battery (deep-cycle batteries, not ordinary car batteries) to do the job.

NB. Another way of calculating battery capacity is explained in this example. Should my battery be rated at 84Ah, 12V the watt hour (energy) will be 84Ah x 12 V = 1008Ah

It implies that the battery can supply a 150watt appliance for 1008/70 = 14hours

Pls don’t just play around with batteries they are dangerous.

excellent report

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ebocoms: 8:20am On Nov 02, 2020
Good day everyone. Trust you had a restful weekend.

Please I need input for my New setup. I'm retiring my old  system and migrating to lithium battery.

Present Setup:

- 1.5KVA Luminous  inverter

- 2 x 200ah batteries

- 4 x 300w  Mono Solar panels

- 60a Epsolar iTracer CC

- BMV 702 (Fangpusun )

New System

- 24V 250ah - 5.0KWH Felicity Lifepo4 Lithium Battery

- MPPSolar 3000W inverter (PIP-3024MSE) AC (25a), MPPT (40a), VOC (105)

1. Please what is the capacity of Solar panels that can charge 6.25kwh fully within 5/6 hours daily sunlight (Lagos Mainland). Though I'm not going off grid. PHCN might be used as well. Just trying to save cost not depending on PHCN to charge my battery.

My day load might be around  600W - 700W  (Fans, TV, bulbs , Fridge and Freezer), or priotise it for my LG Inverter washing machine during the day sometimes, while my evening load might not exceed 300W using the inverter. It's just for fans, tv and  bulbs. Not sure if it's okay to use with either Fridge or freezer at night. I'm not planning to use with Airconditioner for now though my equipments are energy friendly.

2. Should I maintain my present Solar setup with my Epsolar charge controller and add new Solar panels 4 x 250W - (Guess the inverter max solar array is 1000w) to my new interver or I should get additional 300W panels and add to the existing Epsolar setup.

Thank you.

Edited: Changed the battery capacity. Felicity overstated the capacity.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 9:15am On Nov 02, 2020
This is kind of busbar, any one marketing. Thank you.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 9:30am On Nov 02, 2020
samnaija:
This is kind of busbar, any one marketing. Thank you.
Go to where industrial electrical parts are sold, tell them you need a feeder pillar bus bar
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 10:03am On Nov 02, 2020
There was a thread a guy opened on his solar Lifepo4 set up. I think he bought his battery 140k last year. Please, if anyone knows the page, let me know.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 11:08am On Nov 02, 2020
eleojo23:
Morning guys, please I need answers to these questions

1. What can you say about Afripower and Eastman inverters as regards durability and idle power consumption?

2. Also how good are NXT index batteries? (lifespan following at most 50% DOD) Compare it with Quanta batteries.

Does anyone have any experience with these batteries/inverters?

cc: ojeysky, zeestone99, kiekie1, NiyiOmoIyunade, Saipro, ceaser
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 11:28am On Nov 02, 2020
eleojo23:

Nope
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 11:29am On Nov 02, 2020
ojeysky:

Nope
Ok, thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babniyen(m): 11:31am On Nov 02, 2020
eleojo23:

Ok, thanks.
NXT Index is a solid Sealed battery. Its what I use in my setup..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 11:39am On Nov 02, 2020
Penuelseun:
Go to where industrial electrical parts are sold, tell them you need a feeder pillar bus bar
My brother thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 11:45am On Nov 02, 2020
ebocoms:
Good day everyone. Trust you had a restful weekend.

Please I need input for my New setup. I'm retiring my old  system and migrating to lithium battery.

Present Setup:

- 1.5KVA Luminous  inverter

- 2 x 200ah batteries

- 4 x 300w  Mono Solar panels

- 60a Epsolar iTracer CC

- BMV 702 (Fangpusun )

New System

- 24V 280ah - 6.25KWH Felicity Lifepo4 Lithium Battery

- MPPSolar 3000W inverter (PIP-3024MSE) AC (25a), MPPT (40a), VOC (105)

1. Please what is the capacity of Solar panels that can charge 6.25kwh fully within 5/6 hours daily sunlight (Lagos Mainland). Though I'm not going off grid. PHCN might be used as well. Just trying to save cost not depending on PHCN to charge my battery.

My day load might be around  600W - 700W  (Fans, TV, bulbs , Fridge and Freezer), or priotise it for my LG Inverter washing machine during the day sometimes, while my evening load might not exceed 300W using the inverter. It's just for fans, tv and  bulbs. Not sure if it's okay to use with either Fridge or freezer at night. I'm not planning to use with Airconditioner for now though my equipments are energy friendly.

2. Should I maintain my present Solar setup with my Epsolar charge controller and add new Solar panels 4 x 250W - (Guess the inverter max solar array is 1000w) to my new interver or I should get additional 300W panels and add to the existing Epsolar setup.

Thank you.

1. A 60A constant charging will get it full within 5hrs but as it's sun rays you never can get constant current and I also see that your max current of your hybrid is 45A anyway so I think you can just put max 1.5kw panel on that (please check the Voc spec of the panels to be within your CC limit). You can run 380w X4 in 2s2p

2. You can maintain your epsolar cc and Panels to provide some charging current to your battery as well.

Depends on the BMS you are using, you may want to maintain your BMV as well. MPPSolar don't give you accurate info on SOC and Voltage, BMV will be useful for that. However if you are using a BMS like ANT BMS then no need
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 11:55am On Nov 02, 2020
babniyen:
NXT Index is a solid Sealed battery. Its what I use in my setup..
Thanks for the info.
My aim is to get something that will last for 4 years plus (with 50% DoD during use) within 120-140k budget.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 12:22pm On Nov 02, 2020
has someone come across an energy limiting device, that if connected will limit the energy taken from a power source to say 5kwh daily or something like that.. a timer clock, that regulated energy consumed,

application if for a multi user shared solar system... where each user could be assigned, say 2kwh daily, if the user chooses to spend the energy in 4hrs running high energy appliances..na im or sabi..or 20hrs running a 100w load
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by litaninja(m): 12:32pm On Nov 02, 2020
I'm guessing you can use something like a sonoff Pow R2 (has an energy monitor module) + nodered automation to cut off when "today's kwh" measurement reaches 5kwh...

earthrealm:
has someone come across an energy limiting device, that if connected will limit the energy taken from a power source to say 5kwh daily or something like that.. a timer clock, that regulated energy consumed,

application if for a multi user shared solar system... where each user could be assigned, say 2kwh daily, if the user chooses to spend the energy in 4hrs running high energy appliances..na im or sabi..or 20hrs running a 100w load

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by wilmaria14: 12:54pm On Nov 02, 2020
eleojo23:
Morning guys, please I need answers to these questions

1. What can you say about Afripower and Eastman inverters as regards durability and idle power consumption?

2. Also how good are NXT index batteries? (lifespan following at most 50% DOD) Compare it with Quanta batteries.
Eastman is a very good product in times of inverter and battery
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by wilmaria14: 1:08pm On Nov 02, 2020
Is a new week and new month we are open for business and to take your orders
Battery
Panel
Inverter
CC MPPT and PWM
Call 08028074483
WhatsApp 09013128166

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 1:23pm On Nov 02, 2020
wilmaria14:
Eastman is a very good product in times of inverter and battery
Good to know. thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 1:41pm On Nov 02, 2020
litaninja:
I'm guessing you can use something like a sonoff Pow R2 (has an energy monitor module) + nodered automation to cut off when "today's kwh" measurement reaches 5kwh...

naaah, its for a rudimentary system, no internet/wifi......just need something simple and easy....like the compact current & voltage limiting device being sold

https://www.aEXPRESS.com/item/33044737742.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.757460d6TJs66j&algo_pvid=43df37d4-f22c-426a-b9df-e18f679d133f&algo_expid=43df37d4-f22c-426a-b9df-e18f679d133f-2&btsid=2100bddf16043207709287068ef4d8&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ebocoms: 2:33pm On Nov 02, 2020
Thank you @ojeysky for the reply. That mean I can run 1.5KW panel above the 1000w limit of the hybrid inverter if the VOC is within limit. My present 300w panel VOC is 43.6V.

ojeysky:

1. A 60A constant charging will get it full within 5hrs but as it's sun rays you never can get constant current and I also see that your max PV of your hybrid is 45A anyway so I think you can just put max 1.5kw panel on that (please check the Voc spec of the panels to be within your CC limit). You can run 380w X4 in 2s2p

2. You can maintain your epsolar cc and Panels to provide some charging current to your battery as well.

Depends on the BMS you are using, you may want to maintain your BMV as well. MPPSolar don't give you accurate info on SOC and Voltage, BMV will be useful for that. However if you are using a BMS like ANT BMS then no need
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 4:18pm On Nov 02, 2020
ebocoms:
Thank you @ojeysky for the reply. That mean I can run 1.5KW panel above the 1000w limit of the hybrid inverter if the VOC is within limit. My present 300w panel VOC is 43.6V.

Hmm.... actually i think oversizing by almost 50% maybe too much(budget wise) so just do 280 X 4 or something like your present one of 300 X 4. You should be fine with the Voc at 2s2p
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:47pm On Nov 02, 2020
eleojo23:

I've only heard fairly about Eastmann before as someone marketed their products to me early last year, but I've neither had any experience with using it nor known anyone who does.

In the flier I was given, Eastmann has a wide range of solar products ranging from SLA, FLA batteries, inverters and solar panels.

I think it's only inverter of Afripower that I've come across before.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 6:13pm On Nov 02, 2020
ceaser:

I've only heard fairly about Eastmann before as someone marketed their products to me early last year, but I've neither had any experience with using it nor known anyone who does.

In the flier I was given, Eastmann has a wide range of solar products ranging from SLA, FLA batteries, inverters and solar panels.

I think it's only inverter of Afripower that I've come across before.

Okay, thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by litaninja(m): 6:22pm On Nov 02, 2020
Oh, okay. Na the one wey me sabi be that one grin

earthrealm:

naaah, its for a rudimentary system, no internet/wifi......just need something simple and easy....like the compact current & voltage limiting device being sold

https://www.aEXPRESS.com/item/33044737742.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.757460d6TJs66j&algo_pvid=43df37d4-f22c-426a-b9df-e18f679d133f&algo_expid=43df37d4-f22c-426a-b9df-e18f679d133f-2&btsid=2100bddf16043207709287068ef4d8&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 7:04pm On Nov 02, 2020
320w flame solar panel now available, #42,000 (promo price). Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 7:05pm On Nov 02, 2020
150w Sunfit solar panel now available, #22,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 7:07pm On Nov 02, 2020
250Ah 12v Greenpower battery now available, #100,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 7:08pm On Nov 02, 2020
50w All in One solar street light available, #55,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 7:10pm On Nov 02, 2020
208 litres foresolar freezer sold out today, we’re still taking orders and we deliver at doorsteps. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (883) (884) (885) (886) (887) (888) (889) ... (1691) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Dam5reey(m), dacool1(m), Danibestguy and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.