Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (905) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2075162 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (902) (903) (904) (905) (906) (907) (908) ... (1699) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Priscillar1234: 8:45am On Dec 02, 2020
ojeysky:

You could stay in the middle. Bulk 59.2 while float 54.8
Thanks for the response. What should I set the absorb voltage to and should I reduce the charge current to 20A or leave it at 30A?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:09am On Dec 02, 2020
Priscillar1234:

Thanks for the response. What should I set the absorb voltage to and should I reduce the charge current to 20A or leave it at 30A?

30A is .2c I think that is fine, don't go above that though. As to absorb I don't have experience on that, wait for others who use that feature
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 10:40am On Dec 02, 2020
I believe you posted a VIForce 12v 150Ah battery? The label says cycle use 14.4v to 15.0v. The ideal absorb voltage setpoint is a delicate balancing act between maximising cycle life and maximising battery capacity.

I recommend 14.6v to 14.7v per 12v battery as a good midpoint to set your absorb voltage to. That works out to between 58.4v to 58.8v for a 48v nominal system.

If your batteries are AGM then a 0.2C rate is fine for a 150Ah setup. That works out to a max 30A charge current. This is another place to balance as lead acid batteries generally do better with slow charge and discharge (avoids heat).

Things like how many hours of reliable PHCN you have, how long you run a generator for daily, presence or absence of solar support will drive if you should ultimately choose 20A or 30A. If charging resources are scarce or unreliable, then go for the faster charge at 30A.

Priscillar1234:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 12:41pm On Dec 02, 2020
olopan:
Harmattan season is here again

Some installations might go under in coming months, while some with forward thinking owners or system managers sort for ways to prevent their investments depreciation.

Recent survey has it that "solar system loses about 30% of power production due to debris, bird poo, decaying leafs, and dust"

Be forward thinking today and request for a system check up and maintenance

Can you clean large panel install of between 80- 130panels?

If yes, hit my signature lets talk pls
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 1:08pm On Dec 02, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
First off a constant 500w load would quickly kill any set of 2 12v 200Ah lead acid batteries. You should max out at 200w (100w load per 12v 200Ah) if you wish to help the batteries deliver their rated capacity and cycle life.

Think of batteries as a store of energy. An energy storage tank if you will.

In general the amount of energy stored and accessible is about thesame regardless of if your tanks (batteries) are connected in series or parallel.

In practice two 12v batteries in parallel are likely to last longer (not back up time but cycles) simply because the two batteries naturally stay in sync for SoC vs same two batteries in series where ultimately one battery drifts away from the other over time especially if no special arrangements in place to keep SoC in sync.

In practice, your average 12v inverter may not put out enough amps to recharge your batteries in an acceptable time so you may need two inverters in parallel or an extra smart charger.

A 24v inverter should have marginally better internal efficiency vs 12v but this is not a given.

If you had to incorporate solar, you would find that for the same PV array and similar products used, a 12v nominal system is most expensive and complicated to setup, a 24v nominal system is cheaper than 12v but the 48v system would likely be cheapest of all and allow you to harvest most power with minimal equipment deployed.

Overall, the 12v system will be more stable and run for more cycles than either a 24v or 48v would under thesame conditions would. A decent battery balancing mechanism would put the odds in favor of the higher voltage systems but battery balancers as we know them today I judge insufficient. My preferred method for lead acid battery balancing is proprietary and not to be disclosed on open forums.

Thanks for your response. In other words, with enough PV and Cc, 48, 24 are better in that order?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Priscillar1234: 1:12pm On Dec 02, 2020
ojeysky:

30A is .2c I think that is fine, don't go above that though. As to absorb I don't have experience on that, wait for others who use that feature
Thanks very much. You have been really helpful
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Priscillar1234: 1:26pm On Dec 02, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
I believe you posted a VIForce 12v 150Ah battery? The label says cycle use 14.4v to 15.0v. The ideal absorb voltage setpoint is a delicate balancing act between maximising cycle life and maximising battery capacity.

I recommend 14.6v to 14.7v per 12v battery as a good midpoint to set your absorb voltage to. That works out to between 58.4v to 58.8v for a 48v nominal system.

If your batteries are AGM then a 0.2C rate is fine for a 150Ah setup. That works out to a max 30A charge current. This is another place to balance as lead acid batteries generally do better with slow charge and discharge (avoids heat).

Things like how many hours of reliable PHCN you have, how long you run a generator for daily, presence or absence of solar support will drive if you should ultimately choose 20A or 30A. If charging resources are scarce or unreliable, then go for the faster charge at 30A.

Yes VIForce battery and It has Gel written on it. Will be charging from only the grid for now. While we save up to implement solar panels next year.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IRAPADA(m): 4:14pm On Dec 02, 2020
Good afternoon guys, please what should I do to my solar panels, sun has changed direction and my solar panel is not receiving enough sun to charge my battery again. Should I relocate the panels
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 6:23pm On Dec 02, 2020
IRAPADA:
Good afternoon guys, please what should I do to my solar panels, sun has changed direction and my solar panel is not receiving enough sun to charge my battery again. Should I relocate the panels

If they are on the ground where it is easily accessible for relocation, then by all means you can go ahead with that. But if it's on the roof, I doubt there is much that can be done about that except you have a section of your roof that aligns with the current sun orientation and you can afford the time and the stress to rearrange the panels.

Remember that in some months to come, the sun orientation will still change again. So you must be prepped to change your panel orientation again.

Meanwhile, it's not just the sun orientation that we need to contend with this time around, there is also the problem of dust, dirt and other debris settling on the panels and severely impacting insolation and yield. My harvest has dipped by almost one fifth due to that alone. Sadly panels aren't easily accessible. So you may want to look into that too alongside re-arrangement.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IRAPADA(m): 6:28pm On Dec 02, 2020
Thanks, I will leave it like that, panels are on the roof
ceaser:

If they are on the ground where it is easily accessible for relocation, then by all means you can go ahead with that. But if it's on the roof, I doubt there is much that can be done about that except you have a section of your roof that aligns with the current sun orientation and you can afford the time and the stress to rearrange the panels.

Remember that in some months to come, the sun orientation will still change again. So you must be prepped to change your panel orientation again.

Meanwhile, it's not just the sun orientation that we need to contend with this time around, there is also the problem of dust, dirt and other debris settling on the panels and severely impacting insolation and yield. My harvest has dipped by almost one fifth due to that alone. Sadly panels aren't easily accessible. So you may want to look into that too alongside re-arrangement.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 6:30pm On Dec 02, 2020
AVR and current limiter available.
Can be delivered nationwide.

Can set min voltage from 145v and above
Can set max voltage 240v to 300v
Can set current from 1 - 60amps

Price - 8k

Call- 08117398294

Chat - http:///2348117398294

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 8:27pm On Dec 02, 2020
ojeysky:

You could stay in the middle. Bulk 59.2 while float 54.8
From experience: unless they're premium batteries, the logic is stellar but sounds like a bad idea nonetheless. Even if you're utilising temperature compensation, limit absolute voltage after compensation to no higher than 2.45V per cell

VRLA and Gel lead acid batteries don't do so well if charged at voltages higher than the gassing voltage which is typically around 2.4V per cell in most of Western Nigeria (our ambient shade temperature often hovers between 27 - 30°C on many of the mornings). These batteries hate gassing and experience rather short lives if you get them to stay on absorb for more than an hour or two when absorb voltage is >2.4V/cell. I believe 2.45V/cell is the tolerable upper limit. Higher is risky unless you're certain of what you're doing. This applies to the majority of nameless brands we use.

Go for lower voltages and longer absorb duration if possible.Your aim is to reach full charge while avoiding sulphation. Imbalance would ensure the weaker feels never get a full charge at the lower voltages. This is where the "snake oil" desulphators come in. Good balancers would help too. A week at excessively high absorb voltage leads to early and catastrophic failure. Again, true premium batteries don't seem to mind higher voltages. Catalytic recombination of the gases handles the rest. Gel should never be gassed (it develops gas pockets within the gel matrix). 59.2V is just a tad bit lower than equalisation when done with temperature compensation.

I avoid these topics but this is a dicey one as many adopt the info on these pages as the gospel truth. Others can contribute what they know.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 5:21am On Dec 03, 2020
Priscillar1234:
Good evening everyone. Kindly assist a new inverter user. Just got a 48v inverter system installed in my home by an inverter installer, but I would like to confirm the best charging settings for the batteries just to be on a safe side.
Please what should the charge settings be for the batteries in series 48v?
Bulk:
Absorb:
Float:
And which is better between 20A or 30A for charging the batteries through the inverter utility current?

modified: just incase you're thinking the batteries are installed on the floor, no there is a battery rack. I took the picture when it was just removed from the carton and placed on the floor during installation.

Very few charge controllers or inverters have adjustable bulk voltage charge settings. Absorb and float are the usual settings available. Bulk voltage is handled by the internal software.

Your battery has similar charge profile with Kung Long batteries and most flooded batteries.
My recommendation is stick to 14.7v absorb and 13.6v float.
After configuring this, use a multimeter to crosscheck the voltages been displayed by cc, correspond to the preset values.
This is best done at float and absorb stages.

Adding a standalone decent battery voltage display, hooked up to each battery would also be ideal, as with this.. you are seeing how the battery bank is doing at a glance, imbalance issues are easily noticed too

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 6:09am On Dec 03, 2020
Saipro:

Still having 6 Yingli panels left. Amazing to sell the others so fast and be stuck with 6 units. Someone please take them off my hands
grin

Still available?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olopan(m): 7:24am On Dec 03, 2020
Alright, will do.
Thanks
Trippledots:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Priscillar1234: 11:41am On Dec 03, 2020
earthrealm:

Very few charge controllers or inverters have adjustable bulk voltage charge settings. Absorb and float are the usual settings available. Bulk voltage is handled by the internal software.

Your battery has similar charge profile with Kung Long batteries and most flooded batteries.
My recommendation is stick to 14.7v absorb and 13.6v float.
After configuring this, use a multimeter to crosscheck the voltages been displayed by cc, correspond to the preset values.
This is best done at float and absorb stages.

Adding a standalone decent battery voltage display, hooked up to each battery would also be ideal, as with this.. you are seeing how the battery bank is doing at a glance, imbalance issues are easily noticed too

Thanks for the advice. Can you suggest a place where I can easily purchase the volt display from instead of having to order it from Aliexpress which will take quite a while
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by incogni2o: 1:01pm On Dec 03, 2020
Do you have an home theatre, car stereo or Ear peice which youbcannot connect your Phone?

This Bluetooth receiver can be used for

Earphones,
Home theatre
Car stereos

Goes for 6500

It is rechargeable and very portable.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 1:29pm On Dec 03, 2020
Hello, please is it okay to buy fairly used battery? (Not lifepo4)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 1:53pm On Dec 03, 2020
generationz:
not advisable, but u can buy from a trusted source, who will be ready to take it back, if it doesn't live up to expectation!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 1:55pm On Dec 03, 2020
still available

63A DC circuit breaker(used)

3pcs 125A automatic transfer switch 2pole(brand new)

100A automatic transfer switch 4pole(brand new)

lcd battery monitor with 100A shunt (used)

barely used very clean 2000w STARLITE stablizer(with extra socket for 110V)

all used ones are very clean and working perfectly and for sale @affordable prices. can be easily waybilled to anywhere.
whatsapp 080-8541-5985.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 2:02pm On Dec 03, 2020
generationz:

Pros

1) It leaves less hole in your pocket- cost effective.
2) A good way to buy more for less or even use premium brands without breaking the bank.

Cons

1) You can't really tell whether you are getting a good deal or not as some batteries may have been vastly abused/extensively used, and most sellers will never divulge all information they know about the said battery.

2) It's used, one should not expect them to behave like brand new tongue

My recommendation: Only buy if seller is willing to give you a sort of guarantee to test if the batteries are ok (ok in the sense of it being fairly used, one should manage expectations here). Because the major way to find out is by using it.

Or give you some months (say 6 months) guarantee that the batteries won't perform below par. Before you do this deal, you gotta trust the person selling it to stand by their word (kinda hard to get in Naija grin )

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 2:03pm On Dec 03, 2020
mctfopt:

Pros

1) It leaves less hole in your pocket- cost effective.
2) A good way to buy more for less or even use premium brands without breaking the bank.

Cons

1) You can't really tell whether you are getting a good deal or not as some batteries may have been vastly abused/extensively used, and most sellers will never divulge all information they know about the said battery.

2) It's used, one should not expect them to behave like brand new tongue

My recommendation: Only buy if seller is willing to give you a sort of guarantee to test if the batteries are ok (ok in the sense of it being fairly used, one should manage expectations here). Because the major way to find out is by using it.

Or give you some months (say 6 months) guarantee that the batteries won't perform below par. Before you do this deal, you gotta trust the person selling it to stand by their word (kinda hard to get in Naija grin )

Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 2:05pm On Dec 03, 2020
Valto:
not advisable, but u can buy from a trusted source, who will be ready to take it back, if it doesn't live up to expectation!

Alright.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 2:24pm On Dec 03, 2020
Please, what advantages do deep cycle batteries have over Lifepo4 apart from price and years of use?

I know deep cycle last for fewer years but I want to know if it's still worth it?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 3:38pm On Dec 03, 2020
ojeysky:
BMV 712 with 500A shunt, aux cable, long comms cable, temp sensor - 125k

12.8v 280AH LFP pack with 40A utility charger - 350k

Bus bars, 7s to 16s ANT BMS, 4s smart BMS, balancers(4s, 8s, 16s)

080-three 5-23-3535

The 2 units of the BMV at 200k for anyone paying within the next 24hrs
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 3:41pm On Dec 03, 2020
generationz:
Please, what advantages do deep cycle batteries have over Lifepo4 apart from price and years of use?

I know deep cycle last for fewer years but I want to know if it's still worth it?

You are about to usher in Round 5 (or is it round 10 sef) of the lead acid Vs lithium debate. cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 5:45pm On Dec 03, 2020
generationz:

Scroll back last 15 pages, this issue was exhaustively treated

Priscillar1234:

Thanks for the advice. Can you suggest a place where I can easily purchase the volt display from instead of having to order it from Aliexpress which will take quite a while

Kie kie and a few other sellers stocked them b4.
Diy plug n play display units
Aliexpress isnt so bad now, within 1 month, you should get your item

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by incogni2o: 6:00pm On Dec 03, 2020
Trippledots:

How many story building

and Location.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by saint2ace(m): 6:05pm On Dec 03, 2020
Priscillar1234:

If u're in Lagos, u can get it at arena bolade oshodi for about 1k per piece. But if u're not in a hurry AliExpress should be ur go to, as u can get various modules with volts, amps etc. Na ur money kill am.....

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 6:52pm On Dec 03, 2020
Please how much is a spent 12v100ah lead acid battery sold for? I may have one to discard.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:53pm On Dec 03, 2020
Priscillar1234:

If all you need is a unit and you are in ado-ekiti you can grab the one I used in the past

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (902) (903) (904) (905) (906) (907) (908) ... (1699) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Buchika, btee13(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.