Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,818 members, 7,831,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Did John The Baptist Lose His Faith In Jesus As The Messiah? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did John The Baptist Lose His Faith In Jesus As The Messiah? (616 Views)

My Church, First Baptist Abuja Shared Rice And 10,000 Cash To Ease Lockdown / HIV Positive Man Dies After He Stopped Taking His Drugs To Show Off His Faith / 'I'm John The Baptist' - Kenyan ‘Prophet’ With 39 Wives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did John The Baptist Lose His Faith In Jesus As The Messiah? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:33pm On Jul 07, 2017
Did John the Baptist lose his faith in Jesus as the Messiah (Matthew 11:3; Luke 7:19)? Why did John the Baptist ask Jesus if He was the one who was to come?
Re: Did John The Baptist Lose His Faith In Jesus As The Messiah? by chibabe259(f): 3:43pm On Jul 07, 2017
It is not that he was losing faith but he was flabbergasted that Jesus didn't visit him in prison. To his uttermost surprise, he send his disciples to enquire from Jesus if He was the one that's bn expected.

That is to say, if truly Jesus was the expected messiah, He ought to have visited John. (sic) But John was wrong in his assertions.
Re: Did John The Baptist Lose His Faith In Jesus As The Messiah? by analice107: 3:45pm On Jul 07, 2017
chibabe259:
It is not that he was losing faith but he was flabbergasted that Jesus didn't visit him in prison.
Not just didn't visit, but Jesus departed from that region entirely.
Re: Did John The Baptist Lose His Faith In Jesus As The Messiah? by chibabe259(f): 3:50pm On Jul 07, 2017
analice107:
Not just didn't visit, but Jesus departed from that region entirely.

Yea but Jesus sent words to him before departing.
Re: Did John The Baptist Lose His Faith In Jesus As The Messiah? by Babacele: 4:06pm On Jul 07, 2017
who baptized Jesus at the River Jordan?
Re: Did John The Baptist Lose His Faith In Jesus As The Messiah? by analice107: 8:36pm On Jul 07, 2017
chibabe259:

Yea but Jesus sent words to him before departing.
Words of greetings or encouragements? I didn't see any words o.
Re: Did John The Baptist Lose His Faith In Jesus As The Messiah? by tobechi20(m): 10:50pm On Jul 17, 2017
he was confused because holy spirit had left him
Re: Did John The Baptist Lose His Faith In Jesus As The Messiah? by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 18, 2017
OLAADEGBU:
Did John the Baptist lose his faith in Jesus as the Messiah (Matthew 11:3; Luke 7:19)? Why did John the Baptist ask Jesus if He was the one who was to come?

A very intriguing question. Let’s try to reason this out (difficult I know, but let’s try) Why in the first instance would John ask such a question? The Baptist is happily going about his business on the banks of the brackish murky River Jordan, a diffident young man turns up out of the blue asking for a baptism, John obliges. On conclusion of the baptismal rite suddenly the heavens open up and a thunderous voice peels out “You are my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased” (Mark 1:9-11) The statement is clear and unequivocal.

If we pause for one second, we can deduce from that statement that John the Baptist is the only man on the face of this planet other than Jesus to experience first-hand confirmation from God-almighty, i.e straight from the horse’s mouth that Jesus is indeed the son of God. We assume that John was not deaf, so he must have heard such affirmation loud and clear, and we are assured that John was intelligent and well-versed in scriptures. If we assume that the narration of Mark 1 is accurate then what possible reason could exist for John to ask the question of Jesus that he supposedly asked in Matt 11:3 having already witnessed the answer in Divine terms from God?

Either Yohanne the Immerser was monumentally dense and displayed a curious lack of faith in the live and direct word of God, or one of the two biblical accounts are inaccurate. You decide.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Watching Game Of Thrones As A Christian / The Aftermath Of The Dark Ages- A quick look at Christian History / HALLELUYA HALLELUYA: It Is Already 24th September And The World Does Not End

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.