Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

Coming Home For Good From Europe - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Coming Home For Good From Europe (861 Views)

Please I Need Job To Change My Life For Good....i Am Dying. / ICICI Bank To Let Women Work From Home For A Year / 100% Tuition Free Colleges And Universities In Europe And Usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coming Home For Good From Europe by mactonnyso: 4:26pm On Feb 01, 2010
Hi NL, i am knew on NL and i sincerely need you guys sincere advise.
The  company i worked for in Germany since 1989 is retiring Engineers with over 20 years working experience.
i was offered a retirement benefit of 1750 EURO per month,  (350k per month) 30% less full pension  for the next 15 years , while my full pension benefit will be at 65years.
i am   confussed now, i wanted to accept the offer and return to 9 jaa after 28years in Europe. But my in-laws and some extended family members advised me that 350,000 Naira guaranteed pension benefit is not enough for me to survive with my wife, because of  extended family responsibilities. Our 2 kids born in Germany  are staying  back  to complete their University education.
i am planning visiting 9jaa to see things for myself, i got already a flat at ikoyi @750k per annum.
considering the high cost of living in Lagos  today, do you think the  Naira 350k per month will be something to return home for. Your sincere advise please , before i pay for the flat at ikoyi  i have till June this year to decided
Re: Coming Home For Good From Europe by Kx: 4:32pm On Feb 01, 2010
mactonnyso:

i got already a flat at ikoyi @750k per annum.

U are going into "forced" pension,I wont say a rent of N750k in Ikoyi is a wise
"retirement" expense.
Re: Coming Home For Good From Europe by AjanleKoko: 5:35pm On Feb 01, 2010
^^ naija is not a good idea, unless you have something you want to do. Maybe a job or some kind of business you plan to set up.
N750k per annum in Ikoyi? Are you sure you haven't fallen victim of some swindlers? Whereabouts in Ikoyi would you get a flat of N750k?
Re: Coming Home For Good From Europe by Nobody: 6:11pm On Feb 01, 2010
dude 350k month in naija - will probably not do - for someone with a western standard of living

the amount you will spend on fuel alone

then all that janded food etal

e no go do
Re: Coming Home For Good From Europe by mactonnyso: 7:15pm On Feb 01, 2010
oyb:

dude 350k month in naija - will probably not do - for someone with a western standard of living

the amount you will spend on fuel alone

then all that janded food etal

e no go do
I
i really appreciate your genuine responces guys. the fact is i am 50 i am not going to fold my arms in 9jaa and just depend only on my 350k pension. i also have some offers to work part-time with some German estb. in lagos may be additional 250k-300k per month as translator for foreign expatriates. i have some 2 or 3 offers i am now considering
Re: Coming Home For Good From Europe by Avenir(m): 11:23pm On Feb 01, 2010
mactonnyso:

Hi NL, i am knew on NL and i sincerely need you guys sincere advise.
The company i worked for in Germany since 1989 is retiring Engineers with over 20 years working experience.
i was offered a retirement benefit of 1750 EURO per month, (350k per month) 30% less full pension for the next 15 years , while my full pension benefit will be at 65years.
i am confussed now, i wanted to accept the offer and return to 9 jaa after 28years in Europe. But my in-laws and some extended family members advised me that 350,000 Naira guaranteed pension benefit is not enough for me to survive with my wife, because of extended family responsibilities. Our 2 kids born in Germany are staying back to complete their University education.
i am planning visiting 9jaa to see things for myself, i got already a flat at ikoyi @750k per annum.
considering the high cost of living in Lagos today, do you think the Naira 350k per month will be something to return home for. Your sincere advise please , before i pay for the flat at ikoyi i have till June this year to decided

mactonnyso:

I
i really appreciate your genuine responces guys. the fact is i am 50 i am not going to fold my arms in 9jaa and just depend only on my 350k pension. i also have some offers to work part-time with some German estb. in lagos may be additional 250k-300k per month as translator for foreign expatriates. i have some 2 or 3 offers i am now considering

It is a known fact that there is no place like home. Considering the fact that you’re coming home with residual income, I’ll say go for it. You can always go back to Germany if it does not workout as expected. You’ve got absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. I don’t see any problems with relatives. If you’ve been able to control your expenses in Germany for 25 years, you’ll do okay in Nigeria. There are chances that either you or your wife end up not liking the move (human beings inherently hates changes). You can do a trial visit with your wife for between a month or three months before making up your mind.
Re: Coming Home For Good From Europe by saksonA: 4:03am On Feb 02, 2010
[You can do a trial visit with your wife for between a month or three months before making up your mind. ]

i also feel thesame way.
Re: Coming Home For Good From Europe by boyt1: 7:37am On Feb 02, 2010
Mactonnyso i think you have made a wise plan. notting to loose you are German citizen from your posting and you can always go back, but try. i feel with your residual pension of 350k and 300k from your part-time job as a German trained engineer and translator, 600k a month for can settle your trouble no matter the high cost of living.
so come back bros, over 25years is OK.
Re: Coming Home For Good From Europe by Sagamite(m): 1:53am On Feb 03, 2010
I can only assume that someone that has worked in Germany for 30 years PROFESSIONALLY would have some savings and probably own a property (mortgage paid up) he can vacate and rent out.

I doubt with the savings + rental income + N350K pension and possibly income from P/T work the original poster would struggle in Naija.

If he does, he can always head back to Deustcheland.
Re: Coming Home For Good From Europe by X2X(m): 8:15am On Feb 03, 2010
Sagamite:

I can only assume that someone that has worked in Germany for 30 years would have some savings and probably own a property (mortgage paid up) he can vacate and rent out.

I doubt with the savings + rental income + N350K pension and possibly income from P/T work the original poster would struggle in Naija.

If he does, he can always head back to Deustcheland.

+1.

(1) (Reply)

Help! Phd Research Proposal Needed, Urgently / Promotion Dilemma / Heze Writers Academy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.