Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever - Music/Radio (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever (47004 Views)

[music] Forever - Swanky / Nigerian Music Groups That Have Broken Up (Photos) / Top 10 Nigerian Music Countdown In 2017 So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by victorazyvictor(m): 5:55pm On Aug 07, 2020
prettyangel10:

This Veno's Nigeria go survive song then was really nice then, as in.... Andrew no check out, stay and build your country, Nigeria go survive.
Nigeria go survive, Africa go survive
Our people go survive o,
Nigeria go survive. They all really made impact.
Time dey fly sha.

And Nigeria is still surviving.
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by RedAlert08(m): 5:56pm On Aug 07, 2020
godkiller:
I didn't see Weird Mc

I want 50 people to join me in investing in transportation. Let us acquire a bus and get returns weekly.

Drop your whatsapp number

Lmao
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by Judybash93(m): 5:57pm On Aug 07, 2020
I think a honourable mention should be Weird MC
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by MajorOvakporaye(f): 6:05pm On Aug 07, 2020
Factfinder1:
Asa should be number 1

Indomie children!
na only that one you know

1 Like

Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by FILEBE(m): 6:07pm On Aug 07, 2020
hekkyboi:

if you see as my body dey do me eehhh with the way una dey unleash all these nostalgia songs eehh. then nobody cares about tribe and as these songs dey drop all the tribe go dance to am. Oro re o Oro re o Oro re o repete. chai!

I swear. Then. Edna's Happy Birthday was the song for all birthdays. We cared less about the tribe. NTA will play any song any time any day.

1 Like

Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by speedchariot(m): 6:12pm On Aug 07, 2020
Give them Biafra,and let them go..
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by Hundjager: 6:33pm On Aug 07, 2020
These women are really iconic, they didn't just change the Nigeria music, they blessed us with sweet melodies from their lips. Just as
This FCMB Top 5-in-5 series shares tips on how to run a business successfully, be it full time or as side hustle.

https://on.fcmb.com/Top5-7
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by Tunde25(m): 6:34pm On Aug 07, 2020
Nice write up.

Others are :
Princess Bunmi Olajubu (a former regent of Ikogosi Ekiti) who sang "bàtà mi á dùn ko ko ka"

Batile Àlàkẹ́ (She sang 'Iwa')

Comfort Omoge (She sang munene munene)

Kuburat Alaragbo (Salawa Abeni came before Kuburat Alaragbo, she sang 'Àwa yí ọ má ṣe eto)
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by Africaman: 6:41pm On Aug 07, 2020
FILEBE:

Do you know the one that Sang " oro re Oro re Repete"

hekkyboi:

if you see as my body dey do me eehhh with the way una dey unleash all these nostalgia songs eehh. then nobody cares about tribe and as these songs dey drop all the tribe go dance to am. Oro re o Oro re o Oro re o repete. chai!

It was sung by roseline Ogunro from Delta State. Check it out below:

Rosaline Ogunro - Oro Re(From 1987? a Yoruba soulful ballad song) ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slAufX03Fwc&feature=emb_title

2 Likes

Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by hekkyboi: 6:43pm On Aug 07, 2020
Africaman:

wow! thanks man for digging This out
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by Nikes(m): 6:49pm On Aug 07, 2020
thesicilian:
Thought I would see Asa on the list. Great list, Great legends.
Me too
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by warrenweste(m): 6:51pm On Aug 07, 2020
FILEBE:

Do you know the one that Sang " oro re Oro re Repete"

Roseline ogunro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slAufX03Fwc

https://www.deezer.com/us/track/7533585?deferredFl=1

Enjoy smiley
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by prettyangel10(f): 7:33pm On Aug 07, 2020
armadeo:

I hope Andrew checked out oh.

Cos now it's even harder.

P.s you are old school too
Sure, I be Old School. I loff eet. ��

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by Mastakija(m): 7:38pm On Aug 07, 2020
where is angelique kidjo
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by placeofallure(f): 7:51pm On Aug 07, 2020
laudate:
What about the Lijadu Sisters? cheesy And the late Tyna Onwudiwe (Afrikan Oyinbo)?

Very educative thread. I remember Tina, I love her song Asiko lo laye...cancer is a killer.

I remember Funmi Adams' Nigeria my beloved country, it's a sure number on Independent Days.

Salawa Abeni was a queen indeed. She was prolific and her voice was sonorous.

Yinka Davies is superbly talented. Some older friend wanted to recruit me as back up for her band then but I ran. I wouldn't do anything that wasn't church-y, I guess I was naive.

Comfort Omoge should be on the list too, if not anything but as a worthy mention.
In all, nice thread.
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by Olumyyde(m): 8:08pm On Aug 07, 2020
Noneroone:
It is an insult to name Onyeka onwenu, Christy Igbokwe and evi edina alongside those mediocres except for perhaps, Nelly Uchendu.
Let's watch our utterances, life is deep, also life is a seed.
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by iduzebaba(m): 8:17pm On Aug 07, 2020
#WHERE IS FUNMI ADAMS..
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by abumeinben(m): 8:20pm On Aug 07, 2020
hekkyboi:

oh my! damn! you are a real nigarrrrr. nolstagia...chai! then I still de primary school o. mhen u won't understand this lyrics wey u just drop now. it took me back to back to yester years

Baba nor be only you o grin
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by ProfGday(m): 8:37pm On Aug 07, 2020

NIGERIAN WOMEN IN HISTORY

Where Is She? Funmi Adams’ Fans Are Going All Out To Find Out Why She Suddenly Dissapeared From Our Screens

ByWoman.NG

Posted on November 7, 2016

SHARES

ShareTweet it!

If you grew up in the late 80s and early 90s then you will know at least one of these songs – ‘Nigeria, my beloved country,’ ‘Ahayye Yaro,’ ‘Mama thank you for your love,’ ‘Omode o,’ and ‘All we need is love.’

They are songs by Funmi Adams, a singer  known for her love for children and for championing patriotism and oneness through her songs.

She has not been seen or heard for many years now, and some of her fans who grew up listening to her songs have been searching for her.

A  thread was created on Nairaland by a user called Bennie on October 4, 2007, he wanted to know  the location of the singer but he got no useful response as other users  wondered if she is still alive or dead.

Between 20O7 and 2016, her fans on this thread have done a lot to find her or at least get her videos  on youtube for future generations.  They are doing as much as contributing money, travelling out of their states, collecting each other’s contact details to make their dreams of reviving her songs come true.

In 2014, a user by the name Warrenwestecontacted Tunde Alabi-Hundeyin Dudu, the executive producer of Funmi Adams songs.

Tunde said that Sony MD Okunowo and her music producer, Laolu Akins, who is his neighbour also do not know if she is still alive or dead.

Her saxophonist, Michael when contacted by Warrenweste  through email said, working with Funmi was strictly business as she was a private person, however, Warrenweste was directed to a professor in the US, Akin Euba that Funmi also worked with.

Her saxophonist also said that the last time he saw her was in 1993 when she was still staying in Ikoyi in Lagos.

Interestingly, Warrenweste explained that one of the boys who performed in ‘Nigeria, my beloved country’ video informed him that Funmi Adams performed at Muson centre in 2010 during the 50th Independence Day celebration.

Another fan Lyoncrescent contacted Professor Akin Euba via email and he said Funmi lived in Pittsburg, Pennyslvania, where he lived but he has not heard from her in years.

According to Lyoncrescent, Akin Euba explained that the last time he saw her was either in 2007 or 2008 and noted that he was not sure if she was married which could explain a change of name, if there is any.

The search seem to be yielding results when Warrenweste announced on the 1st of this month that a church member in the US who worships in the same church with Funmi Adams said she is alive.

Although, we don’t know how reliable the information is yet or what they plan to do when they eventually find her, but it is so touching to know that she made such a huge impact in the lives on her fans.

source:www.woman.ng
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by NamelessOGBENI(m): 8:45pm On Aug 07, 2020
I know naptu is somewhere observing...
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by chinoonew09: 9:06pm On Aug 07, 2020
[s]
2horsePOWER:
In spite of the Nigerian music industry being historically male-dominated, these ground-breaking female musicians paved the way for more women to rule in music.
Here are some of

SALAWA ABENI
Salawa Abeni, an Ijebu-born singer, began her career in Waka music when she released her debut album, ‘Late General Murtala Ramat Mohammed,’ in 1976 and sold over a million copies. She was crowned “Queen of Waka music,” by the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi in 1992.
[/s] if tiwa savage is not there, wink my peopl its lie.
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by Abiodunspectre(m): 9:32pm On Aug 07, 2020
Interesting list. I recently stumbled on this FCMBTop5in5 series for SMEs. A list of masterclasses being put together by FCMB.
It appears to be free and I'd highly recommend it. http://fcmb.com/top5.
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by RIDOO: 9:44pm On Aug 07, 2020
.........Comfort Omoge
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by earnit3: 10:28pm On Aug 07, 2020
OH
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by FILEBE(m): 10:38pm On Aug 07, 2020
Africaman:

God bless you abundantly.

I will like to see the video too. Damn! So nostalgic
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by FILEBE(m): 10:39pm On Aug 07, 2020

1 Like

Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by Askme2020(m): 11:00pm On Aug 07, 2020
2horsePOWER:
Lalasticlala, Mynd44 did we miss out any? Please let us know in the comment section!
© http://woman.ng/2016/11/11-phenomenal-women-who-changed-nigerian-music-forever/
No ASA on the list
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by DAVE5(m): 11:13pm On Aug 07, 2020
2horsePOWER:
ONYEKA ONWENU

As the list was going, I was just wondering why no onyeka onwenu till I saw her name and my heart filled with joy from above
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by lifenajeje(m): 11:34pm On Aug 07, 2020
SegFault:

They are calling legends and you decided to bring these pop culture people abeggiii. If you said Asa I for no talk.

Legends bawo..

Don't u remember what ur parents will tell if u want to be a musician back then ..

Talkless of being a female musician ..

Tell ur parents at this age u want to be a female musician and see if they won't encourage u...

Asides salawa Abeni( becos yorubas always love what is theirs culturally , evi Edna ogoli , Christy essien igbokwe ,, onyeka the elegant stallion ..

The rest only released 1 album
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by nathpope(m): 11:42pm On Aug 07, 2020
prettyangel10:

This Veno's Nigeria go survive song then was really nice then, as in.... Andrew no check out, stay and build your country, Nigeria go survive.
Nigeria go survive, Africa go survive
Our people go survive o,
Nigeria go survive. They all really made impact.
Time dey fly sha.

ANDREW WILL BE THANKING HIS STARS FOR NOT LISTENING TO THE ADVISE THEN.
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by nathpope(m): 11:46pm On Aug 07, 2020
oba4ever:
Iya Aladuke,

Comfort Omoge

I still listen to comfort omoge every morning.
Its a soul lifter..
Re: 11 Phenomenal Women Who Changed Nigerian Music Forever by delishpot: 12:23am On Aug 08, 2020
The Igbos here, there is this song I love but I don't know the name of the singer. I heard the song back in 2003 plus or minus. Pls can you recognise this song and help me with the name of the singer? I don't know the song well but the little part I know says.....
Eligwe o Eligwe,
Eligwe obara ya.

Something along those lines.

The Yorubas here, pls kindly help me with a Cele or cherubim song. I would like to know the singer so I can search for it on YT
I don't know the wordings but the Lil I remember is......

MA lo, MA MA lo,
MA lo ma MA lo o.
Ibi ti baba orun ko ran o,
Ibi tiwo yo lo ti wo yo gba Idajo re...
Jowo ma se lo be rararara.
Emi mimo, ni o ma so e o.

Thanks. In advance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

2022 Headies Award Nominees (Full List) - Portable Gets Double Nominations / 10 Most Downloaded Gospel Songs In Nigeria 2017 / Nigeria Musicians Who Have Beefs With Each Other (must see)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.