Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,012 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

Can We Switch NTA Off? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Can We Switch NTA Off? (1491 Views)

NTA Presenter Wearing Canvas And Traditional Attire / NTA Staff Wearing Makeup On Live TV (Photo) / Frank Olize Of NTA Newsline. How Many Remember Him? (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can We Switch NTA Off? by Venerable612(m): 8:10am On Jul 09, 2017
“I know very well that I’m one of the last five people who still watch NTA in this world. If you doubt me, tell me when last did you sit to watch the station for three straight hours? Trust me, it’s not because I love what they do…perhaps it’s because old habits die hard. I grew up like many of my generation, watching NTA being the inspiration in some ways. But as at today, I think it’ll be a good idea to switch NTA off perhaps for one year…because it is such a bad sell inside the country and worst of all, a terrible export for us (Not to worry, I do want the staff to be paid to save families and avoid some third mainland inspired moments).

Quite honestly, as a broadcaster and broadcast manager, I don’t think you need more than one quadrant of your brain to fix NTA within a two-year plan and make it the most-watched channel once again. So tonight, while working, I sat and ended up with NTA news, then some show with Al Mustapha on called then some show by Aliyu Baba Barau called “Moment for Thought”. I think everyone in NTA should be mandated (like they say to all NTA stations when expecting them to hook up to the network service) to watch the show. Sadly not for the content, but for the title. They really need a moment for thought!

As if that was not enough, then came one “funny show” by our legend, Segun Odegbami (I preferred his shows on Saturday morning back in the early 90s). I love the man and he is a national treasure, I will skip.

It hurts to see the “potential” goldmine that NTA is, and how the talents it can help develop in our nation going to waste. How can you have over 40 channels and physical stations and not have content competing with or surpassing the BBC? How can you have a country of 190 million potential content providers, viewers and more and yet have your name not on the front row of all the major global TV content events?

How on earth do you inspire some of who have gone ahead to do so well in stations around the world, birth great broadcasters, a great chunk of the pioneers of Nollywood and then leave them out in the cold and now look like you were barren all your life?

Does the minister of information even make up that list of five people watching NTA with me? Does the acting President at least put up an “act” and try to watch NTA? I won’t mention the president, so it doesn’t become a political conversation!

Perhaps the next I will be watching NTA would be when my aunt in Kaduna calls to tell me to watch because the NTA team came to their church and they’re going to air the programme at 9pm. Anyhow, let me just stop my “vex” and do what we all thankfully can do (sadly at the expense of NTA)…change the channel. Someday, I hope in changing channels, I will be flipping to stop at an NTA channel due to some world- class offering which I am hopeful will come again. But until then…I can do with some #soundcitytv #trybetv #spicetv #ontv or just “kuku” switch off the TV and turn on “man’s most faithful companion”…the radio!

Meanwhile, whoever is in charge of NTA, my two cents is that they should not waste any more of tax payers money in buying diesel to fuel all those “NTA” stations. That ship, the one filled with eager viewers appears to have sailed on to better ‘waters’ of better picture, better sound, neutral reporting, great series, documentaries and thought engaging game shows.

And what’s this I hear about 30 (or is it 60 million?) people watching NTA? Someone needs to change the information to “30/60 million people ‘used to’ watch NTA. Remember, we are only five people still left, please.”

James Jonathan Lyamgohn

Abuja.

http://punchng.com/can-we-switch-nta-off/

1 Like

Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by ITbomb(m): 8:27am On Jul 09, 2017
But truly NTA is an eyesore.

After watching the dynamic broadcasting of channels like Channelstv, soundcity etc I doubt anyone can be patient enough to watch people reciting (not reading) news on TV.

The last progressive person to make an attempt (Bruce) was thrown out and they started filling the personnel with products of quota system sacrificing professionalism.

What do you expect?
Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by Greyworld: 9:13am On Jul 09, 2017
when dstv expires that is when you watch NTA, it's just like 2go then, a place you go when you don't have anywhere 2go.
Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by Nobody: 11:00am On Jul 09, 2017
Greyworld:
when dstv expires that is when you watch NTA, it's just like 2go then, a place you go when you don't have anywhere 2go.
wahalai... I do that a lot
Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by newguy1(m): 4:03pm On Jul 10, 2017
That station is just keeping up apperance.. no offence even the not so average family in naija no dey watch am sellf
Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by Venerable612(m): 6:12am On Jul 11, 2017
Its a representation of the failure of Nigeria as a state. CNN, BBC, Al Jazeera and the likes are state owned and look at how much they have developed over the years.

NTA - same graphics, same old, dull and obsolete programs, no innovation. No good offerings - Very pathetic. I wish this could make FP may be this could make everyone, including the government, conscious of this and perhaps the people concerned can pack up or innovate.

Mods: ujsizzle
Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by Nobody: 7:59am On Jul 11, 2017
ITbomb:

After watching the dynamic broadcasting of channels like Channelstv, soundcity etc I doubt anyone can be patient enough to watch people reciting (not reading) news on TV.

The last progressive person to make an attempt (Bruce) was thrown out and they started filling the personnel with products of quota system sacrificing professionalism.

What do you expect?
There are a lot of persons still watching NTA till date. Haven't you wonder why their advertisement are many?
Why most businesses still advertised there?

1 Like

Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 12, 2017
Mehn. I had to make sure that all the shows were not prerecorded like 30years ago shocked
I recently started watching the station as sub expired but I just couldn't .

I just switch off my TV and press phone. Those people need to wake up.
Why is nothing Working in Nigeria # crying
Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by toocoded: 4:49am On Jul 13, 2017
ITbomb:

What do you expect?
Well, TVC News has taken over
Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 13, 2017
ENIMONEY:
Mehn. I had to make sure that all the shows were not prerecorded like 30years ago shocked
I recently started watching the station as sub expired but I just couldn't .

I just switch off my TV and press phone. Those people need to wake up.
Why is nothing Working in Nigeria # crying
Thunder fall on me, abi? U never start.
Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by Venerable612(m): 10:44am On Jul 18, 2017
toocoded:

Well, TVC News has taken over

Is TVC news Better than Channels'?
Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by Venerable612(m): 11:06am On Jul 18, 2017
asuustrike2009:

There are a lot of persons still watching NTA till date. Haven't you wonder why their advertisement are many?
Why most businesses still advertised there?

I am not sure you have a data to back up the assumption that they still have a lot of readers. I suppose it depends on your definition of 'a lot' and how it fairs in comparison with its competitiors.

With regards to your point on advertisement, I am not an advertisement expert, but I would imagine price and network coverage plays huge roles. No one is arguing they do not have airview anymore, the problem is they have simply refused to innovate.
Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 18, 2017
Venerable612:

I am not sure you have a data to back up the assumption that they still have a lot of readers. I suppose it depends on your definition of 'a lot' and how it fairs in comparison with its competitiors.

With regards to your point on advertisement, I am not an advertisement expert, but I would imagine price and network coverage plays huge roles. No one is arguing they do not have airview anymore, the problem is they have simply refused to innovate.
When the research is concluded you will get feedback
Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by toocoded: 2:21pm On Jul 18, 2017
Venerable612:

Is TVC news Better than Channels'?
You can watch it for a whole day or two to enable you confirm smiley
Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jul 18, 2017
toocoded:

Most Nigerians perception of tvc being owned by tinubu had being a limiting factor for viewership. tvc is trying no doubt but they can do better in their broadcast since it's a Pan African television. They should try to report more news from other parts of Africa too, their trending topics should be African also too, then watch how it will grow instead of depending on Nigerian viewership that has steotyped them
Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by Venerable612(m): 6:51pm On Jul 29, 2017
toocoded:

I haven't been in Nigeria for a while so I wouldn't know. Buh ai stream Channels on YouTube to keep up with Niaja news so my judgement may be bias. I just wish they can stop wasting task payers money on that NTA.
Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 30, 2017
NTA is an eyesore, the only time I remember them is 9pm or if I need to watch NDA parade grin
Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by good4all40: 8:48am On Aug 07, 2017
Oga Seun, Pls let's take this to FP maybe our government can read how incompetent they are

1 Like

Re: Can We Switch NTA Off? by Venerable612(m): 6:39am On Aug 10, 2017
Nigerdeltaboi:
NTA is an eyesore, the only time I remember them is 9pm or if I need to watch NDA parade grin

Lol... at least you still do. It's the same graphics since I was a kid. It's a waste of tax payers money. If NTA has a satellite dish, is being watched all over Africa, covers extensive news from the African continent - or put differently, is the CNN and Al Jazeera of Africa... that would have been so lovely considering how far back they established it. Funny enough, the reception was so bad in my area in Ayobo, we hardly even can watch bit without twisting and turning the antenna back then�

Wish the OP can move this to front page at least to sensitize the government and necessary individuals of these issues. They really need to consider revamping their programs.

(1) (Reply)

(HOT Video)destiny Boy – “jogodo” (fuji Cover) / Fantastic Four On Cartoon Network / Your Best Disney Cartoon Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.