Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged (13435 Views)

Cars Submerged By Flood In Calabar As Man Climbs On Top His Car And Relaxes / DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded / Car Submerged In Massive Flood In Benin After Hours Of Rainfall. Photos (2) (3) (4)

What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by jakautoworld: 9:50pm On Jul 09, 2017
With nearly hundreds of residents may be facing the prospect of their cars being submerged in a torrent of sea- and/or rainwater in Lekki and VI area of Lagos. Some who otherwise escaped the floods could find themselves in a potentially life threatening situation once they venture out if their cars suddenly become inundated on a waterlogged thoroughfare or under a viaduct.

For starters, if your car is currently under water or suspect it’s been flooded by the storm surge take heed. It's advisables that you not to try starting a car that’s been submerged without first having a technician perform a thorough inspection and cleaning. Salt water, for those who live in coastal areas, can be particularly damaging to a car's components.

"In addition to the obvious damage done to upholstery and carpeting, flood water is a corrosive and abrasive mixture of water and dirt that works its way into every seam and crevice of a vehicle," don't you know s a flooded car’s engine, transmission and fuel, brake, power steering and electrical systems are vulnerable to increased wear and premature failure.

If you’re calling the mymechanic.me or other service for roadside assistance, be patient, as you’ll probably be on a long list of those seeking help, and have reasonable expectations. The mymechanic.me generally handles dead battery/starting, flat tires, lockouts and other relatively minor service issues. Tow trucks are set up to drive through about 18 inches of water to pull submerged vehicles to dry land, but don’t expect drivers to sacrifice their own safety or the integrity of their equipment negotiating levels deeper than that.

If a car has been completely or partially submerged, extensive disassembly may be needed for a thorough cleaning. Unfortunately, this doesn’t come cheap. Depending on its make, model and age, the cost to restore a flood-damaged vehicle could exceed its value, in which case the owner’s insurance company would consider it “totaled.”

If you live on higher ground and your vehicle has thus far remained dry, be extra cautious when venturing out for the first time to avoid becoming submerged in standing or surging water. Dips in the road, viaducts and areas adjacent to rivers and streams are especially susceptible to flooding during or after a normal downpour, and you should never assume that standing water is shallow enough to negotiate. If local authorities are telling residents to stay off the roads, don’t risk the trip in the first place.

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by HungerBAD: 9:57pm On Jul 09, 2017
True.

Told my friend the same thing yesterday that lives in Lekki.

The Rain moved her SUV from where it was parked,and hit it against the fence of her house.

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by jakautoworld: 10:02pm On Jul 09, 2017
HungerBAD:
True.

Told my friend the same thing yesterday that lives in Lekki.

The Rain moved her SUV from where it was parked,and hit it against the fence of her house.

Contact mymechanic.me

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by HungerBAD: 12:31am On Jul 10, 2017
jakautoworld:

Contact mymechanic.me

Your profile says you are based in Abuja.

We are talking of Lekki in lagos right?

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by gwmlogistic: 7:12am On Jul 10, 2017
Very informative

In other news

Are you looking to build an antitrust and everlasting water stanchion Tower to carry steel or plastic tanks look no further

https://www.nairaland.com/3291648/antirust-water-stanchion-tower-plastic
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by Nobody: 7:13am On Jul 10, 2017
my car was submerged. hazard light is on while d car is off. killed my battery. car interior stinks. got a replacement battery and rewire sorted d hazard light ish. drove it to work today. i hope no serious damage tho. cos i aint gat no money

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by Nobody: 7:13am On Jul 10, 2017
Nice..i nearly got into this mess last week.. I came out alive cheesy
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by Loonyy(m): 7:13am On Jul 10, 2017
Warisdisonesaying

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by NAUGOTIREDRAG1: 7:14am On Jul 10, 2017
Dump & buy another....

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by NairalandCS(m): 7:15am On Jul 10, 2017
Person use him money go rent wahala call am house.

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by rodeo0070(m): 7:16am On Jul 10, 2017
Drying Out Your Flooded Car: What to do if your car is in a flood

https://brandspurng.com/drying-out-your-flooded-car-what-to-do-if-your-car-is-in-a-flood/
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by MemphisRaynes: 7:17am On Jul 10, 2017
Working on how to convert submerged cars to boats, please be patient.

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by GogetterMD(m): 7:17am On Jul 10, 2017
Did you come with advice or to advertise your website?

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by DrinosBlog: 7:17am On Jul 10, 2017
To all LEKKI and VI people

I dash u dis

Thunder Fire U and ur family if you QUOTE or CRITICISE

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by kinkybunny(f): 7:18am On Jul 10, 2017
i don't live in Lekki i rep PH so all those in lekki

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by LOL247(f): 7:20am On Jul 10, 2017
NairalandCS:
Person use him money go rent wahala call am house.

and that is good news to your ears

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by samilo88(m): 7:24am On Jul 10, 2017
Expect a rise in d no of cars for sale in the auto section. I won't advise anyone to purchase a car from lag BTW now nd year end, u stand d risk of buying a flooded car.

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by Koko88(m): 7:25am On Jul 10, 2017
cool info
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by Flintstone06(m): 7:26am On Jul 10, 2017
Nice one op..feel for those who suffered extensive damages.

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by dragsazy(m): 7:34am On Jul 10, 2017
Wawu.....what a flood
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by Nobody: 7:37am On Jul 10, 2017
Noah things
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by Dexema(m): 7:41am On Jul 10, 2017
Mechanics around the lekki VI Ajah axis Don hammer, especially the rewire guys.
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by rozayx5(m): 7:41am On Jul 10, 2017
samilo88:
Expect a rise in d no of cars for sale in the auto section. I won't advise anyone to purchase a car from lag BTW now nd year end, u stand d risk of buying a flooded car.

True

And op qas just advertise his website

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by admindim: 7:51am On Jul 10, 2017
heavy rain
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by samtee37(m): 7:52am On Jul 10, 2017
Na to leave am, go carry boat remain grin

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by izzy4shizzy(m): 7:59am On Jul 10, 2017
I see
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by Sleyanya1(m): 8:22am On Jul 10, 2017
Op, thanks.

But you didn't focus on survival techniques when in a partially or totally submerged car.
That's what I had open this thread to learn.
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by Sleyanya1(m): 8:25am On Jul 10, 2017
kinkybunny:
i don't live in Lekki i rep PH so all those in lekki

Lol.
I'm still of the belief that this could very much happen in PH o, considering the rate at which rivers are being sand-filled on a daily and the rate at which people dump refuse in drainages.

Frustrated Due To Damaged Immobilizer/brainbox / Which Exterior Colour Will Suit A Brown Leather Seat Interior Colour / How To Clean Your Car's Injectors