Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,340 members, 7,811,986 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

How Australians View Nigerians - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / How Australians View Nigerians (617 Views)

Hillary Clinton To Australians: People 'uneasy With Women In Leadership' / C-R-A-Z-Y: Australians Widely Gay Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Australians View Nigerians by AjalaJ(m): 3:38am On Jul 10, 2017
What does an Australian think of Nigerians?

Australians do not know anything about Nigeria. If you tell them, you lived in Nigeria; they will mention how they went on a trip to Tanzania to build huts ,they will ask if you can speak Afrikaans or Swahili, they will ask if you know some random African person, ask what is hello in Nigerian (when there are over 500 languages and English is the official language).

I was once invited to a friend’s house for dinner and I was asked by her mother, ‘what is Nigeria known for’. I was about to mention food, music and movies but this friend’s younger sister blurted out ‘corruption’. Everyone else on the table laughed. Then the father started talking about Nigerian prince scams and all other nonsense. I was told apparently that the sister wrote a paper on Nigeria and corruption.

I was in a computer class once and the teacher was teaching about e-waste and how in Nigeria, people go through old hard drives and such and find passwords which are then used to steal information from people abroad. I kid you not, the whole class turned around and looked at me like I was going to steal all their money.

Other conversations with Australians include them thinking there are no fancy cars in Nigeria, that there is crime and a lot of theft, scams as usual , poverty is rampant etc.

So, the reaction to Nigeria is not very positive.

However, I should add that the Aboriginal and Torres strait Islander population have a more positive view. I have Indigeonous friends who want to visit Nigeria with me and ask about the food, music and culture.

The white population on the other hand, not so much.

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-does-an-Australian-think-of-Nigerians

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: www..com.ng
Re: How Australians View Nigerians by Freetech: 3:39am On Jul 10, 2017
Interesting
Re: How Australians View Nigerians by Heromaniaa: 4:05am On Jul 10, 2017
Re: How Australians View Nigerians by obataokenwa(m): 5:01am On Jul 10, 2017
The country has gone so bad that nothing looks good in it anymore. But we the children of God knows that it shall pass also
Re: How Australians View Nigerians by Nobody: 5:45am On Jul 10, 2017
And you do neteller business... grin grin grin grin
Re: How Australians View Nigerians by Dexema(m): 7:26am On Jul 10, 2017
The way some whites view Nigeria ehn, it's worse than a war torn country, more like a gangsters paradise.

1 Like

Re: How Australians View Nigerians by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 10, 2017
Who doesn't know about Nigerian prince scam? Even in seasonal movies they mention it. Especially in Suits, i've heard it twice there. The only two times they mentioned to name "Nigeria" it was always followed by the word "scam"

Re: How Australians View Nigerians by ituglobal(m): 5:28am On Jul 11, 2017
Can anyone care less? These people have failed to see anything good in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Why Is America And The Western World Quiet About Zimbabwe / Putin Thanks Trump For Help In Foiling Attack Plot / GAZA PROTEST: We Have Bullets For Everyone" - Snr MK from Israeli ruling party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.