Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,038 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape (17586 Views)

Planning An EP? / Download Full Album: Dj Khaled – Bad Boys For Life Soundtrack Lp [zip File] / A Mixtape Cover I Designed For Murderer | Protest X Kokdbee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by danthamccoy(m): 11:47am On Jul 11, 2017
Djicemob:
EP: Released after an album,sort of like a continuation or conclusive part of an artiste previous album.Usually short in length.

LP: A full compilation of songs or body of work.

Mixtape: Usually sampled tracks and experimental body of work often dished out for free.

But naija artistes often get it twisted,an artiste without an album to his or her name releases a body of work and calls it an EP just to feel trendy.'Every body dey release something the call am EP,me sef my I do my own'.

A rapper releases an album and calls it mixtape.Cos it's the latest thing on board.

I am not understanding.
An EP doesn't necessarily have to be released after an album but are usually used as stopgaps between albums, just like mixtapes. In fact most of the best foreign EPs I know weren't released just after albums. I think you extrapolated that from the name - Extended Play. A simple Wiki research will show you why it's called that.

Vince Staples, Sheer Mag, Carly Ray Jepsen had some of the best EPs last year and were not released just after albums.

You can even release an EP as your first project. https://www.musicindustryhowto.com/should-i-release-a-single-ep-mixtape-or-album-first-a-launch-plan/

Don't know why people just like making bashing everything Nigerian a thing.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by gbeduman: 11:58am On Jul 11, 2017
This is very educative.
danthamccoy:

An EP doesn't necessarily have to be released after an album but are usually used as stopgaps between albums, just like mixtapes. In fact most of the best foreign EPs I know weren't released just after albums. I think you extrapolated that from the name - Extended Play. A simple Wiki research will show you why it's called that.

Vince Staples, Sheer Mag, Carly Ray Jepsen had some of the best EPs last year and were not released just after albums.

You can even release an EP as your first project. https://www.musicindustryhowto.com/should-i-release-a-single-ep-mixtape-or-album-first-a-launch-plan/

Don't know why people just like making bashing everything Nigerian a thing.
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by Wealthyonos(m): 12:15pm On Jul 11, 2017
magazineguy:

Source; http://tushmagazine.com.ng/difference-lp-ep-mixtape/

cc
lalasticala, mynd44, dominique

Can all the songs in an EP have the same beat? Or is that suppose to happen in a mixtape?
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by pinkyruledworld(m): 12:46pm On Jul 11, 2017
YesNoMaybe:
Actually, the maximum length for an EP is 27 minutes. One could decide to do 27 one-minute songs; it will still be categorized as an EP.

Nice post.
To my own understanding its 25min... the 27mins can be categorized under mini lps that's if its still in vogue and btw a mixtape doesn't have to be free, I have seen some mixtapes for sale on itunes

like Djicemob said, most artiste dont know the meaning and differences, once one thing dey reign dey jump on it, couple of years ago they were all shouting mixtapes, sometimes last year na ep now na lp, I doubt if they even know a full album is an lp. I bet if an american comes up with a mini lp na so dem go dey shout am again.

And BTW u can start ur career with an ep, it's just to make awareness and sometimes to make ur fans understand u r still in the music game its not the extension of an album but its more of an extension of a single. I hope I made sense.
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jul 11, 2017
What I've known concerning stuff like this is an LP is more or less an Album... An EP.. is an extended project of an Album.. supposed to be released after an Album. Songs that couldn't make the album are fixed in the EP. Then a mixtape is released by an artiste usually in form of a message to fans like "Guys m currently cooking up something( usually an Album) but before I finish that .. you guys can chill with these tracks"... Bt I know a lot of artiste Don't​ follow this , I wouldn't say they are doing it wrong really because there is no supposed rule that guides whatever you call your projects these days.
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by pinkyruledworld(m): 1:03pm On Jul 11, 2017
kayoph:
What I've known concerning stuff like this is an LP is more or less an Album... An EP.. is an extended project of an Album.. supposed to be released after an Album. Songs that couldn't make the album are fixed in the EP. Then a mixtape is released by an artiste usually in form of a message to fans like "Guys m currently cooking up something( usually an Album) but before I finish that .. you guys can chill with these tracks"... Bt I know a lot of artiste Don't​ follow this , I wouldn't say they are doing it wrong really because there is no supposed rule that guides whatever you call your projects these days.
yes an lp is a studio album
no an ep is not the extension of an album, that y u see albums in america and some other parts of the world having deluxe versions where by they later add about 3-4 new tracks to the default album songlist, example is Akon Trouble album wch has 13 tracks but the deluxe had gunshot, keep on calling and some others added.
and for mixtapes, the word has been used interchangeably in recent year as there are many definitions to this, mixtapes are sometimes hosted by djs but a particular artiste mixtape is a kind of "album" wch is not qualified as a studio album and being released to keep the artiste relevant to the fan, it is usually free and has no singles, the songs mayb mostly using the elements of some other artiste songs eg instrumental, lyrics and may be sometimes mashups included. its usually simple in creation asin not much energy is put on it unlike a studio album...

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by Chukazu: 1:05pm On Jul 11, 2017
undecided no.. I don't get it

I have seen fuji musicians like PASUMA play for hours on a single song, which is usually lengthy in duration and they compile those into an album of Four or six songs and you are telling me is not and album because it is not up to "10 tracker"... How?

I have seen THE LATE STEPHEN OSITA OSADEBE's album of "4 tracks" but very lengthy and you telling be they no reach album?

You mean someone produces a 14 tracker album with each track not lasting more than two minutes and you call that an album?.. Say waa at?

Is it your song?
Is it your album?
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 11, 2017
pinkyruledworld:

yes an lp is a studio album
no an ep is not the extension of an album, that y u see albums in america and some other parts of the world having deluxe versions where by they later add about 3-4 new tracks to the default album songlist, example is Akon Trouble album wch has 13 tracks but the deluxe had gunshot, keep on calling and some others added.
and for mixtapes, the word has been used interchangeably in recent year as there are many definitions to this, mixtapes are sometimes hosted by djs but a particular artiste mixtape is a kind of "album" wch is not qualified as a studio album and being released to keep the artiste relevant to the fan, it is usually free and has no singles, the songs mayb mostly using the elements of some other artiste songs eg instrumental, lyrics and may be sometimes mashups included. its usually simple in creation asin not much energy is put on it unlike a studio album...
Aiit I hear you. Thanks bro
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by paulstrings(m): 3:59pm On Jul 11, 2017
Misterdhee1:
Odunsi and Nonso Amadi tho.. sad shocked..Exceptional talents.
Nonso Amadi, I know.. Just listened to Odunsi Now (Desire).. He's exceptional... I'll stick with Him. Please, are there any other recommendations you have? Help me with them..Thanks
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by DanielGb(m): 8:10pm On Jul 11, 2017
magazineguy:
Mr. Eazi released Life is Eazi Vol. 1, Iyanya dropped Signature, YCEE put out First Wave and some fans are referring to these projects as albums.

While these projects are compilations of songs, and they share a number of other features with what is generally known as ‘studio albums’, it is important to point out that they are not studio albums. Rather, they are called EPs, an abbreviation for Extended Play.

Studio albums on the other hand, are referred to as LP, meaning, Long Play. It is quite easy to confuse an EP for a LP, especially with the wave of EP releases sweeping across the Nigerian music industry. From the many musical projects in the market, some fans struggle to see the line of distinction between an EP and a LP.

In very simple terms, an EP is a body of work containing more than one song but does not contain enough songs to be classified as a studio album. Usually EPs contain about 4 to 9 songs; a good example is YCEE’s First Wave project, which had 8 constituent songs. A musical project could also be classified as an EP on the basis of its length. An EP is expected to be between 25 to 40 minutes in length.

Studio albums are considered full albums. More people are familiar with this kind of musical project. They usually contain a minimum of 10 tracks, and the length of play is usually upwards of 40 minutes. On an average, fans expect that within the space of two to three years, all things considered, a new LP from their favourite artiste should be in the stores. However, this is not a standard principle. In some cases album releases could be more frequent while some could take longer. While an album is being compiled; singles, videos, mixtapes, EPs are some of the ways artistes entertain their fans.

In the same way EP and LP are wrongly interchanged, people sometimes mix-up mixtapes for EPs, but a mixtapes is another category of musical projects which could contain original or unoriginal works of the artiste. For a lot of artistes, mixtapes are seen as freebies, as the idea behind the release of a mixtape is not profit, rather, artistes use it to grow their fan base. M.I’s Illegal Music series or Show Dem Camp’s Clone Wars are good examples.

Contrary to how it is generally perceived, mixtapes and EPs are not limited to the rap community. Artistes making other genre of music get to release mixtapes and EPs. A perfect type of a non-rap EP is War put together by the clique of Odunsi & Nonso Amadi. The RnB/Soul singing duo put together an amazing 4 track long EP, which is helping them grow their reach in the circle of music lovers inside and outside of Nigeria.

With the observable growth that the Nigerian music industry is experiencing, artistes are constantly looking for new and better ways to entertain their fans. This is why they go on to compile different musical project to achieve specific goals. The fact that a lot of these projects are available to the fans, with little clarity on their differences, could cause confusion for some fans. It is therefore necessary to identify the different musical projects available and their distinguishing feature as is done in this article.

cc

Go and tell them to stop misbehaving.
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by truGambit(m): 11:59pm On Jul 11, 2017
magazineguy:
Mr. Eazi released Life is Eazi Vol. 1, Iyanya dropped Signature, YCEE put out First Wave and some fans are referring to these projects as albums.

While these projects are compilations of songs, and they share a number of other features with what is generally known as ‘studio albums’, it is important to point out that they are not studio albums. Rather, they are called EPs, an abbreviation for Extended Play.

Studio albums on the other hand, are referred to as LP, meaning, Long Play. It is quite easy to confuse an EP for a LP, especially with the wave of EP releases sweeping across the Nigerian music industry. From the many musical projects in the market, some fans struggle to see the line of distinction between an EP and a LP.

In very simple terms, an EP is a body of work containing more than one song but does not contain enough songs to be classified as a studio album. Usually EPs contain about 4 to 9 songs; a good example is YCEE’s First Wave project, which had 8 constituent songs. A musical project could also be classified as an EP on the basis of its length. An EP is expected to be between 25 to 40 minutes in length.

Studio albums are considered full albums. More people are familiar with this kind of musical project. They usually contain a minimum of 10 tracks, and the length of play is usually upwards of 40 minutes. On an average, fans expect that within the space of two to three years, all things considered, a new LP from their favourite artiste should be in the stores. However, this is not a standard principle. In some cases album releases could be more frequent while some could take longer. While an album is being compiled; singles, videos, mixtapes, EPs are some of the ways artistes entertain their fans.

In the same way EP and LP are wrongly interchanged, people sometimes mix-up mixtapes for EPs, but a mixtapes is another category of musical projects which could contain original or unoriginal works of the artiste. For a lot of artistes, mixtapes are seen as freebies, as the idea behind the release of a mixtape is not profit, rather, artistes use it to grow their fan base. M.I’s Illegal Music series or Show Dem Camp’s Clone Wars are good examples.

Contrary to how it is generally perceived, mixtapes and EPs are not limited to the rap community. Artistes making other genre of music get to release mixtapes and EPs. A perfect type of a non-rap EP is War put together by the clique of Odunsi & Nonso Amadi. The RnB/Soul singing duo put together an amazing 4 track long EP, which is helping them grow their reach in the circle of music lovers inside and outside of Nigeria.

With the observable growth that the Nigerian music industry is experiencing, artistes are constantly looking for new and better ways to entertain their fans. This is why they go on to compile different musical project to achieve specific goals. The fact that a lot of these projects are available to the fans, with little clarity on their differences, could cause confusion for some fans. It is therefore necessary to identify the different musical projects available and their distinguishing feature as is done in this article.

cc

Baba, the stout is ready,do u want it now or when we fry the chicken?

Thanks for this piece, best thing iv read on nl in a while.

Kudos bruv

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by CelestineC(m): 12:53am On Jul 12, 2017
Thanks man! now I fully understand their difference
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by magazineguy(m): 5:29pm On Jul 16, 2017
Thank you so much

truGambit:

Baba, the stout is ready,do u want it now or when we fry the chicken?

Thanks for this piece, best thing iv read on nl in a while.

Kudos bruv
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by sauceyboi: 11:53am On Jul 17, 2017

(1) (2) (Reply)

Japp: 'Everywhere' - Lord's Chosen Hip-Hop Music Video! / 'Count On You': Johnny Drille Features Bambam And Teddy-A In New Music Video / Download DJ. Khaled - I’m So Grateful Ft. Sizzla

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.