Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,201 members, 7,853,098 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 11:08 AM

Nigeria: Why I Titled My Song Fela Kuti – Wyclef Jean - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nigeria: Why I Titled My Song Fela Kuti – Wyclef Jean (455 Views)

Fela Kuti Married 27 Wives And Took Them To Ghana For Honeymoon (Throwback Photo / Wyclef Jean Titles His Song “Fela Kuti" / Omawumi Meets Wyclef Jean In New York (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Why I Titled My Song Fela Kuti – Wyclef Jean by ariesbull: 7:07pm On Jul 11, 2017
Haitian rapper, Wyclef Jean, formerly of the Fugees has never hidden his love and respect for the afrobeat Legend, Fela Anikulapo Kuti. He released a single titled Fela Kuti.

The singer said he named his new single ‘Fela Kuti’ because he wants young ones to know about the legendary progenitor of Afrobeat. Wyclef Jean’s new song ‘Fela Kuti’ is the first single off his forthcoming album.

The musician and actor also said he shares many similarities with the late Fela Kuti – who died twenty years ago. “I decided to name it Fela Kuti because for me, I feel like we are thinking of Bob Marley, we give a lot of people from our past props, so when the kids hear Fela Kuti, I really want them to Google it,” he said.

“Fela Kuti studied jazz in England. Wyclef studied jazz at Vailsburg High School. Fela Kuti then went back to his country and tried to help his country by running for president. Wyclef, you know, did the same thing.

Then, Fela, through all his obstacles and all that, his music is what pillared him right back to the top. He understood that the strongest way to help politically was to make sure the music was banging. So for me, the same way kids can have songs called “Wyclef Jean” that are influenced by me, I want kids to know who Fela is and what he means.”

Jean’s ‘Fela Kuti’ was produced by Supah Mario who was responsible for the production of Young Thug’s ‘Wyclef Jean’. The former Fugees star will release ‘Carnival III: The Fall and Rise of a Refugee’ on September 15.

https://etimes.com.ng/nigeria-titled-song-fela-kuti-wyclef-jean/

Re: Nigeria: Why I Titled My Song Fela Kuti – Wyclef Jean by seunmsg(m): 7:10pm On Jul 11, 2017
Fela Anikulapo Kuti, iconic Afonja musician. The world will always pay tribute to this music legend.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Why I Titled My Song Fela Kuti – Wyclef Jean by bauer00: 7:11pm On Jul 11, 2017
Kudos!!These are the people we need, whose vision is inspired by a look at reality..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Why I Titled My Song Fela Kuti – Wyclef Jean by dlondonbadboy: 7:12pm On Jul 11, 2017
He wants people to remember..!!

.we would always miss fela..this man spoke the truth with his songs. What do we hear today? Rubbish music..if tis not yansh, it would be yahooboiz, or tarti billions...rubbish upon rubbish upon rubbish!
Re: Nigeria: Why I Titled My Song Fela Kuti – Wyclef Jean by Okoroawusa: 7:12pm On Jul 11, 2017
hard work beats talents when talents doesn't work hard.
Re: Nigeria: Why I Titled My Song Fela Kuti – Wyclef Jean by SoNature(m): 7:16pm On Jul 11, 2017
Fela was the greatest Nigerian music ever. Even in death, his songs still stand out. He could be likened to a prophet than a musician.
Re: Nigeria: Why I Titled My Song Fela Kuti – Wyclef Jean by VoltageDivida(m): 7:31pm On Jul 11, 2017
I wish all these children who make noise and call it music, fighting themselves everyday on social media would learn from legends like Fela and start writing and singing songs that will impact their listeners positively. Instead of announcing their account balance and other $h!tz in their songs.

(1) (Reply)

Still On The Controversy, As Kemi Olunoyo Compares Tiwa, Daughter Of Seyilaw Wi / Peter Psquare Set To Dump Nigeria Over FG Plan To Stop Music Production Abroad / Abuja Resident Fixes Disconnected Electricity Wires With Bare Hands (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.