Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,899 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? (789 Views)

Gender Inequality In Nigerian Politics (1999 Vs 2015 Vs 2019) / “the Spirit Of Error” In Nigerian Politics, By Reuben Abati / Igbo Would Have Been President If They Understood Nigerian Politics – Igbokwe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by UE23: 9:07pm On Jul 12, 2017
Hey,

I am a British female who lives in UK but has Nigerian parents (Igbo). My heart longs to see corruption come to end in Nigeria and poverty eradicated. I would love to be a part of making this change. I am wondering how realistic it is for a British person who was born and raised in UK and has only been to Nigeria twice, to get involved in Nigerian politics and even potentially become a state governor and maybe even president.

Are there also any other ways for a British person to influence change in Nigeria?
Also, I would like to know what people in Nigeria are doing to stop corruption and improve poverty? For example holding protests and campaigns?
Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by Chimourinho(m): 9:16pm On Jul 12, 2017
Why not if not? once your constituency know you start from grassroots .
Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jul 12, 2017
UE23:
Hey,

I am a British female who lives in UK but has Nigerian parents (Igbo). My heart longs to see corruption come to end in Nigeria and poverty eradicated. I would love to be a part of making this change. I am wondering how realistic it is for a British person who was born and raised in UK and has only been to Nigeria twice, to get involved in Nigerian politics and even potentially become a state governor and maybe even president.

Are there also any other ways for a British person to influence change in Nigeria?
Also, I would like to know what people in Nigeria are doing to stop corruption and improve poverty? For example holding protests and campaigns?
Join Biafra

4 Likes

Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by dokiOloye(m): 10:11pm On Jul 12, 2017
The current senate president is a Britico-Nigerian like U,so why not.
But on another different level,u gotta prepare well well and gather enuf liver b4 U join.
For example,expect that U might be having a political meeting jejely in Ur house in d village and dem bad guys go show,knack 1 paa(localy made single barrel pistol) for up,then everybody go vamoose faster than d speed of light.Election day,na d same thing,if dem boys find out voting isn't going their way,na to bomboy for up,voters oo,police oo,everybody including U go run,u know d policemen on duty in d polling booths do not carry guns but d bad guys have licence to bear arms that day grin.
Then expect to be "touched/beaten up once in a while(ask late Bola Ige,they beat him and removed his cap from his head few days b4 his assasination,and he was a sitting AGF ool)na part of d game.
Then U gotta expect to sit on d same table regularly wt hoodlums,miscreants, never-do-wells,etc,cos na them de run things as per political party things for Naija.
Expect character assassination, etc,for eg,some1 fit come swear publicly say him see U for hospital where U come do HIV screen and it was +ve,meanwhile U have never stepped foot into d said hospital.
Dem fit talk say U sleep wt another prominent politician last night,meanwhile,d man dey pilgrimage for faraway Jerusalem that night.
If I remember others,I go come update,e plenty ooo.

1 Like

Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by NwaNimo1(m): 10:36pm On Jul 12, 2017
dokiOloye:
The current senate president is a Britico-Nigerian like U,so why not.
But an another different level,u gotta prepare well well and gather enuf liver b4 U join.
For example,expect that U might be having a political meeting jejely in Ur village and dem bad guys go show,knack 1 paa(localy made single barrel pistol) for up,then everybody go vamoose faster than d speed of light.Election day,na d same thing,if dem boys find out voting isn't going their way,na to bomboy for up,voters oo,police oo,everybody including U go run,u know d policemen on duty in d polling booths do not carry guns but d bad guys have licence to bear arms that day grin.
Then expect to be "touched/beaten up once in a while(ask late Bola Ige,they beat him and removed his cap from his head few days b4 his assasination)na part of d game.
Then U gotta expect to sit on d same table regularly wt hoodlums,miscreants, never-do-wells,etc,cos na them de run things as per political party things for Naija.
Expect character assassination, etc,for eg,some1 fit come swear publicly say him see U for hospital where U come do HIV screen and it was +ve,meanwhile U have never stepped foot into d said hospital.
Dem fit talk say U sleep wt another prominent politician last night,meanwhile,d man dey pilgrimage for faraway Jerusalem that night.
If I remember others,I go come update,e plenty ooo.

Lol.... even that our useless puppet finance minister came from abroad.
Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by delishpot: 10:38pm On Jul 12, 2017
I guess it doesnt matter nowadays. A UK resident is rulling Nigeria straight from the queens own land. eg Buhari.

5 Likes

Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by dokiOloye(m): 10:39pm On Jul 12, 2017
NwaNimo1:

Lol.... even that our useless puppet finance minister came from abroad.

Is she a British citizen too?
Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by attackgat: 10:46pm On Jul 12, 2017
Personally, I wouldnt recommend a British Nigerian becoming involved in Nigerian politics unless it is one who has been resident in Nigeria for a while and understands the way things work

There are very few 'gentlemen' in Nigerian politics and even if you are one, Nigerian politics will change that very fast.

I have been involved in local party politics and seen how it can turn people into monsters. You have to become a monster to get anywhere in Nigerian politics because your opponents are equally monsters.

For someone who is used to the civilised politics of a civilised country such as Britain, Nigerian politics may not be for you
Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by salford1: 5:56am On Jul 13, 2017
UE23:
Hey,

Maybe not to compete for an electoral post but by appointment like the current minister of finance.

1 Like

Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by slimfit1(m): 6:03am On Jul 13, 2017
What you need the most is spiritual help otherwise Nigeria will waste you. Life means nothing to them. My advice, let them beg for your knowledge.
However, make sure you know what you are doing and stand for something, be a spectator for now. Nigerians are not ready for your input, they are not ready for change.
Majority of them don't know what it means to serve your country. Some people want a position for their children as well just for the prestige and fame that comes with it not because they care about the people.

Nigerians are not ready for an honest leader for now we are still enjoying for now. My fellow Nigerian, Nigeria is not ready for you but if you are spiritually guided and God say go then go I'll follow you, but without God my guy you are on your own.
I can tell you alot of people want to come home and help, but people coming from abroad are seen as more of a threat than help, if they don't attack you spiritual hired killer will do the rest. Furthermore, you have to know someone to get anywhere in Nigeria.
One thing that strikes me hard is Nigerians love this suffering, so dont try to be a hero unnecessarily. I hope I've helped you goodluck Jonathan to you oh.

1 Like

Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by 9japrof(m): 6:11am On Jul 13, 2017
The way we play politics here is so way different, if you are not murdered, they would assassinate your character, or the lives of your family is under threat.

Abeg nairalanders abeg make una no confuse this one make e come back come waste his resources, time or even his life while trying to change Nigeria. The leadership is a product of the people, with the way we the electorate reason and accept peanuts as bribes during election, how do we expect our representatives to act better.

I am a realist, stay back there or look for sponsorship, training or scholarships you can render to the average Nigerian youth, with that you are making a difference...

3 Likes

Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by DOUBLEWAHALA: 7:02am On Jul 13, 2017
A british female and a Nigerian parent got me cracking thou

What of all this our politician that claims American or british citizenship nko?

Like: ben mury Bruce, okonjo iwuala,femi adesina, even Dino maleya

D koko be say as long as u can lie we will vote for you
Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by sinkhole: 7:06am On Jul 13, 2017
UE23:
Hey,

There is no reason whatsoever you can not contest in Nigerian politics but the first step you have to take is to start seeing yourself as a Nigerian instead of as a Briton (because I could see yu always refer to yourself as a Briton instead of as a British-Nigerian). You need to feel Nigerian, think Nigerian and dream Nigerian. But if I may warn you, Nigerian politics is nothing like British politics: Nigerian politics is a complete jungle politics where killings and brutalities abound.
I partially agree with @9japrof but where I disagree is where he said you should stay back, I am saying do not stay back but understand fully what you are diving into!
Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by mikolo80: 10:09am On Jul 13, 2017
9japrof:
The way we play politics here is so way different, if you are not murdered, they would assassinate your character, or the lives of your family is under threat.

Abeg nairalanders abeg make una no confuse this one make e come back come waste his resources, time or even his life while trying to change Nigeria. The leadership is a product of the people, with the way we the electorate reason and accept peanuts as bribes during election, how do we expect our representatives to act better.

I am a realist, stay back there or look for sponsorship, training or scholarships you can render to the average Nigerian youth, with that you are making a difference...
this wan too go complain say Ibb say him ma leader of tmrw yet is too cowardly to face d bad guys. you're waiting for it to be given to you on platter of gold? una no get una own spiritual backing ba? or you no Sabi Wia dem de hire hired killers ko? de allow fellow human being de do you anyhow
Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by mikolo80: 10:12am On Jul 13, 2017
UE23:
Hey,

join a party .they have branches in the UK. or come home regularly for meetings. then hope/scheme for an appointment. or as a contractor/consultant.then contest for elective office. all the while empowering your ppl with fish or fishing training
Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by Agumbankembu: 10:41am On Jul 13, 2017
Help fight for Biafra and you will have a sane Clime where you'll contest free and fair elections and be voted for, based on merit.
But if you wan try the zoo politics, you can rush in and rush back out.

Let them not confuse with Saraki nor Ben Murray Bruce.

Those ones have special cases, Saraki's father was into politics here before he got groomed for dirty zoo politics, Ben's father was also into politics before he died, and the man has been into the system for a long time.

Make your choice wisely. Corruption is Nigeria, Nigeria is corruption.
Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by naijalander: 12:28pm On Jul 14, 2017
Bukola Saraki is also a British Nigerian so yes, you can.

UE23:
Hey,

Re: Can A British Nigerian Get Involved In Nigerian Politics? by NwaNimo1(m): 7:04pm On Jul 14, 2017
dokiOloye:
Is she a British citizen too?

Don't even think she has a Nigerian passport,

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Will Not Return Again – Nnamdi Kanu / The Rise Of Biafra And The Coming Of Oduduwa - Femi Fani-kayode / Naija Newspapers: Today's The Punch Newspaper Headlines [22 August, 2017].

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.